TheCodfather's Simple 4-4-2 ► 114 Points and 2 cups ◄

• Thread starter Thread starter TheCodfather
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 164
  • Views Views 233K

TheCodfather

Reaction score
[14.2] TheCodfather's Simple 4-4-2 ► Works on all patches ◄

Download Link: https://mediafire.com/download/gdtludwcnhlkbtp/TheCodfather's+Simple+4-4-2.tac

Also available through the steam workshop: Steam Workshop :: TheCodfather's Simple 4-4-2

Download Player Filters: TheCodfather's 4-4-2 or from the Steam Workshop Steam Workshop :: TheCodfather's 4-4-2 Player Filters

Formation:
4-4-2 Flat

Tactic
(click image to enlarge)

View attachment 461125

This tactic is based on playing in between the lines and looking to play the ball into space, whether that be into your strikers or out to the wings where the wingers will play a big role in this tactic, they will look to cross into the box more often than not but will sometimes chip in with the odd goal here and there, you should score a good variety of goals with this tactic and it can be pleasing on the eye.

You will wonder why one Full back is set as attacking and the other support, well the reason is that one of your Centre Midfielders is set as support and the other to defend so I wanted the Full backs to be close to these by setting these mentalities meaning you will have more passing options in various area's of the pitch.

Player Roles & Attributes

Goalkeeper

Nothing specific to note here really, just a decent keeper. His distribution is set to play it to a defender so we can play it out of defence.

Left Full Back

The Left Back is set as an attacking role, so he will need good Stamina, Dribbling, Crossing, Work Rate as well as Tackling and Marking.

Right Full Back

The Right Full Back is on a support role and won't be quite as active getting up and down as your left Full back but he could still benefit by having Stamina, Tackling, Marking, Crossing and Work Rate.

Centre Backs

Here you will just need two no nonsense Centre Backs, good Passing would be a plus as we are trying to play our way out of defense so we don't want any sloppy play here. They will also need Heading, Marking, Tackling, Composure, Concentration, Determination, Positioning, Jumping Reach and Strength.

Central Midfielder (Support)

Theleft sided Central Midfielder is the more creative one but will also need to be able to get back and defend when needed so look for
Passing, Creativity, Decisions, Work Rate, Marking, Tackling, Determination and Teamwork.

Central Midfielder (Defend)

The right sided Central Midfielder will mostly sit deeper to mop up and distribute the ball in a simple manner to keep possession, he will need to have good
Heading, Marking, Tackling, Passing, Work Rate, Teamwork, Determination, Decisions and Positioning.

Wingers

Here you are looking for traditional wingers, they will look to get down the line and into space and will often whip crosses into your strikers, you need a right footed right winger and a left footed left winger as I don't think playing a wrong footed to side winger would work so well the way we are trying to play, what you need to look for here most importantly is
Pace, Acceleration, Crossing, Dribbling. what would also help and be handy is Technique, Flair, Decisions, Agility and Balance.

Advanced Forward (Attack)

The Advanced Forward is your main threat, he will look to run in behind into space or try and beat the defender, he will also chase down loose or misplaced balls and work tirelessly for your team, the main attributes he will need are
Finishing, Dribbling, Heading, Anticipation, Pace and Work Rate

Deep Lying Forward (Support)

This guy is the pivot of your attack, he will drop slightly deeper to receive the ball into feet looking for an opening either on the wing or into your Advanced Forward but will also chip in with some goals himself, he needs to be stronger to hold off defenders and will need the following attributes
Passing, Off The Ball, Teamwork, Strength, Creativity and could also if possible do with Dribbling, Decisions and also Heading as the wingers will often stick a whipped cross into the near post from the right and he can sometimes nip in to stick a deft header in.

1st Season With Wolves

(click image's to enlarge)

I lost 3 games all season, 1 of those games was a cup match, The league was won with 114 Points, I also won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and beat Man Utd in the final of the Capital One Cup.

League Table and Player Stats

View attachment 460499

View attachment 460494

Results

View attachment 460498

View attachment 460497

View attachment 460496

Opposition Instructions

All I do for these is set the opposition Strikers whether that be 1 or 2 to tight marking always.

Training

View attachment 461115

I know some people set tactics or team cohesion for pre-season but I just stick with this from the start as I often forget to change when the season starts and I use this setup at all times.

Individual training I set my players to whatever role I want them to play in my formation.

I also put my tactic in all 3 slots so that it becomes fluid quicker.

Pitch Size

I have set this on maximum as I am looking for big open spaces to play into

Team Talks

I would recommend using

Raikan007's Teamtalk Guide

which can be found on these forums in the FM13 section I believe

Some Steam Achievements Using This Tactic

(click the images to enlarge)

View attachment 461033

View attachment 461034

View attachment 461035

View attachment 461036

View attachment 460873

View attachment 460864

Feel free to ask any questions and I will try and answer anything as soon as I can.

Thank you for looking and if you use it good luck.

Last edited:
Will you often keep it as Counter?

Any other tweaks you make?

May try this with Wolves myself.

I only used counter the once because it was my 2nd team against West Ham's 1st team so I kind of thought they would hammer me (no pun intended!) they probably had the better of the game but we scraped the win. but that was the only time I have changed anything.

I'm still unbeaten in the league and I am also in the Paint Trophy Semi's and in both cups but with games coming up thick and fast I must lose soon surely! I also beat Wigan in the Capital One Cup with a second string 11 again.

At the moment my league record is Played:16 Won:14 drawn:2 Lost:0

So far so good.

Last edited:
don't know if its just me, but i play the exact same 4-4-2 with united, but have both strikers on attack duty and have direct passing, push higher up...but i feel my tactics works best without using player instructions, is it just me?

I only have players individual settings on certain players to shoot less as I feel too many instructions confuse the tactic too much and keeping it simpler for me works much better, so no I don't think it is just you.

Finally but unfortunately we have tasted defeat for the first time this season. Being in every competition whilst playing in a 46 match League season has taken it's toll and playing every 3 or 4 days I think hasn't helped with the defeat. Here are most of the results leading up to that loss.

View attachment 460852

Luckily the defeat hasn't hurt us and we bounced straight back and even beat Brighton in the Capital One Cup over 2 legs to reach the final where we will meet Man Utd at Wembley.

View attachment 460701

The league table is looking good, can we end the League 1 campaign unbeaten?! still a long way to go.

View attachment 460696

First game lost 4-0 in a game I was supposed to win easy. Played away from home.

First game lost 4-0 in a game I was supposed to win easy. Played away from home.

That's not the best of starts :( but please don't judge it on one game, do you have the right players for the tactic? also you will need to get the tactic fluid or accomplished. what team are you playing as?

Bilbao.
I have Monreal - Inigo Martinez - San Jose - Azpilicueta at the back.
Ibai Gomez - Benat - Illarramendi - Susaeta
Llorente - Muniain.

SclGtO6.png

Bilbao.
I have Monreal - Inigo Martinez - San Jose - Azpilicueta at the back.
Ibai Gomez - Benat - Illarramendi - Susaeta
Llorente - Muniain.

SclGtO6.png

It does look like you have the right kind of players, was morale low before the game? did the team talks go well? maybe it just needs more time to gel. have you done the training I recommended in the opening post and have you put your players on individual training to the roles they will play?

I really hope you give it more time and judge it after 15 games or more, I do know it can be frustrating if you lose a couple of games straight away though and patience can sometimes get the better of people.

I'll try and answer anything and help as much I can and I'm sorry you had a bad 1st result :(

It's not the result, because I know: you win some, you lose some, but the final stats where:

Galata - Bilbao
Shots: 25-3
CCC: 5-0
Possesion: 67%-33%

As I said, the prediction before the game said that I'm huge favorite. I was on a 13 winning games streak, so the morale was good.

I will play more..

That does seem really bad, even when I played Man Utd 2 divisions higher than me they didn't dominate me that much and I still scraped a win.

I hope it turns out good for you.

Back