Big games, big signings, and a shot at the big time

Good news, we got promoted. Huzzah! Now of course, that means a whole new world of pain next season. The table and playoffs were thus:

View attachment 204799

View attachment 204798

It was closer than it looked. A naff run of form cost us a chance at automatics, but we just about scraped through the playoffs for a crack at the premier league. Cardiff and the dominant Brentford join us for the ride.

One man band?

I'm loath to say that Lincoln are a one man band but well... I'll let the stats speak for themselves here:

View attachment 204793

View attachment 204792

Without him, we stood no chance. One of my best ever FM signings, and he'll be the record league scorer for Lincoln in no time at all. He'll be given a shot at the Premier League, and it's no less than he deserves.

The newbies

View attachment 204791

So there are a couple of names you won't recognise here. We bring in 3 Georgians from the Euro 2020 squad, although Chkhaidze was on my radar last season anyway. We'll come to the Georgian influx in a later post, but the rest of my signings are pleasing.

Lucas Moura on loan is a ridiculous signing for us, he'll be supplying Thomas this season. Trippier and ter Avest will back up the defenders, with Jason Steele taking over from David Stockdale between the sticks. Drinkwater and Besic add some much needed steel to our defence as well, freeing me up to continue using Hoyle in defence, a role he impressed in last season alongside Clarke.

So, how did we start?

View attachment 204788

Top of the league after 1 game. Things could not have started better.

Next time, join me from Tbilisi, where we examine a few of my new imports.​

Great job mate - congrats on the promotion!

The Georgian Revolution

It was well documented in the summer that Georgia had an astonishing run to the Euro 2020 final, finally being defeated by Spain. Now, as they prepare for their ENL Division 3 game with Macedonia in Tbilisi, we examine a trio from that remarkable squad that have found their way to England, and a Lincoln team that are starting to impress many across Europe.

Zurab Chkhaidze

View attachment 204282

A deal between Lincoln and Dinamo Moscow was actually struck before the Euros themselves, but the Georgian striker went from strength to strength on the big stage. Currently recording a 21/11 caps to goals record, Zurab was being scouted by many across Europe.

The move to Lincoln struck many as odd, as Jamie Thomas had scored 38 the previous season, and was set to lead the line this season. However Zurab was not to be deterred by that. He's yet to start in the league for the Imps, but the striker originally from Dula recently scored his first goal against Chelsea in a 2-1 defeat, and has started to show signs of bedding down well.

Luka Kikabidze

View attachment 204281

The summer signing from Start was the oldest of the 3 to join Lincoln at the age of 25 and has so far proved a useful acquisition. With the likes of De Francesco in midfield, Luka knew his game time would be limited at the start, but has taken his chances well. Originally set to join in January, Lincoln paid a nominal fee to bring him to Sincil Bank six months early, and he rewarded them with a first goal against Spurs in a superb comeback to draw 2-2.

Since then, Kikabidze has rotated with Danny Drinkwater in the centre as the battle to partner captain De Francesco carries on. Only time will tell who comes up trumps.

Levan Gagnidze

View attachment 204280

Arguably the success story of the trio, Levan was also the most expensive. He joined from Sturm Graz for 2.4m as an immediate payment, such was the confidence in him from Lincoln. He was also granted the left back spot for the season, and is yet to really disappoint. With 21 caps for Georgia, the 19 year old has adapted well, and has worked well with Trippier in the full back positions.

There is a case that Gagnidze needs to work on providing more assists, but manager Kerry has so far professed his pleasure that Levan had cemented the spot. Lincoln's worst performance this season, a 4-1 away defeat to Bournemouth, happened without Levan at left back, and his tackling and pass completion have been extremely helpful for Lincoln. A 1-0 win over Everton was helped by a solid performance in keeping Andre Ayew quiet, and Lincoln will be looking for similar in future.

Meanwhile, Georgia go into their games knowing some of their best talent is playing in one of the best leagues in the world. For a team that has struggled in recent years, it is surely a sign that their fortunes are on the rise, and that the supporters can look forward to more quality performances.​

Shirt sales for Lincoln spiking in Eastern Europe?

Been reading this story on and off during work today. I must say it has been a pleasure reading it very very good read. I love the lower league success stories and this one beats them all for me well done on all promotions and I have learnt a lot of tips today for this game which I will start after Christmas, as I am still playing 2015. Can't wait to read the rest of your journey.

Been reading this story on and off during work today. I must say it has been a pleasure reading it very very good read. I love the lower league success stories and this one beats them all for me well done on all promotions and I have learnt a lot of tips today for this game which I will start after Christmas, as I am still playing 2015. Can't wait to read the rest of your journey.

Firstly, thanks for the praise, it means a lot. Typically I start as Liverpool so it's been a really nice change of pace for me this year to start with my hometown team. Also means that I don't end up with all the wonderkids after one season!

I'll keep the updates coming, got one lined up for the end of the January window with a transfer update.

Firstly, thanks for the praise, it means a lot. Typically I start as Liverpool so it's been a really nice change of pace for me this year to start with my hometown team. Also means that I don't end up with all the wonderkids after one season!

I'll keep the updates coming, got one lined up for the end of the January window with a transfer update.

Great ill look forward to reading it!

Next Installment: Welcome to... Sheffield?!

Coming Soon to an FMBase near you!

Welcome to...Sheffield?!

Before I get to the context of the title, we have a bit of ground to cover. Last time out, we saw Lincoln play their first Premier League game. Well, that season finished with a solid 12th place finish for us. Home draws with Spurs (2-2), Man Utd (0-0) and Chelsea (3-3) were particular highlights of mine.

View attachment 201274

An increased budget for January also saw the arrivals of Grimaldo on a permanent deal, with Maitland-Niles and Awoniyi providing more firepower up top. John Brooks also joined us with compatriot Jack Barker to lend stability at the back.

However, we still only finished with 41 goals in 38 games, so we knew where we needed to improve. Defensively we were ok, but there was a definite lack in numbers that I needed to address.

So this past summer, I went on a bit of a spending spree. Lucas Moura rejoined us on a permanent deal, already a fan favourite after last season, whilst Mailtand-Niles also returned. Cillessen joined us from Championship Southampton, whilst the arrivals of Gomez and Aleman from Villarreal and Cruzeiro were particularly pleasing. Bittencourt also came in with a view to securing the left wing position.

View attachment 201273

Aleman

View attachment 201272

Gomez

View attachment 201271

Here's where the Sheffield part comes in. The 2021/2022 season saw us temporarily relocated to Bramall Lane for the year as Sincil Bank gained an extra 5k seats. Honestly, I wasn't pleased. it's a hour journey to Sheffield, and the trains there are awful.

However, for all the money spent and relocation issues, we lacked on the pitch. Apart from a superb Capital One Cup run, seeing us knocked out 8-3 on aggregate to Chelsea in the semi finals (Chelsea would later lose to Watford in the final), we struggled in the league, and showed all the signs of second season syndrome.

Once again, in January I threw some money at the problem. Durm came in at left back to replace the departing Grimaldo, whilst Alonso and Coman come in to support our ailing attack. Goretzka was an impulse buy, his agent offered, and at that price you don't reject him.

Alonso

View attachment 201270

Things did slowly pick up. A 3-3 draw at home to Chelsea was the catalyst, as we went on to pick up 17 out of the next 24 points. We finished by winning our last 2 matches to finish with an identical record to last season, but a place lower, as Stoke managed to beat Utd on the final day.

View attachment 201269

70m+ spent, and no improvement. I am the modern day LvG.

So, where do we go from here? Well, I have 31m to play with as it stands. Aleman is attracting considerable interest from Chelsea though, so that will be rough to deal with. Our first priority remains a striker though. Tomas is going back to Real Madrid, so I'm on the look out for a new front man.

On a final note for this update, the 4-2 win at home to WBA sees both Jamie Thomas and Alberto De Francesco depart the club. Thomas finished with 102 goals in 187 apps, whilst captain De Francesco made 167 apps, scoring 19. It is truly the end of an era.

View attachment 201267

Yeah Switzerland!! :D Any good players they or Ukraine have that you might sign?

Yeah Switzerland!! :D Any good players they or Ukraine have that you might sign?

A couple I would like, but none I can currently afford with my current transfer dealings in play. If I'm forced to sell Aleman though, that may change.

A couple I would like, but none I can currently afford with my current transfer dealings in play. If I'm forced to sell Aleman though, that may change.

I love the name Aleman, doubt it's pronounced that way but it makes you wonder if he's really a professional footballer or just a bloke sinking schooners at the pub :p

I love the name Aleman, doubt it's pronounced that way but it makes you wonder if he's really a professional footballer or just a bloke sinking schooners at the pub :p

Haha yeah, thankfully he plays more like a professional than a pub team! Still, I've had two 21m bids this summer from Chelsea and Dortmund, so he's doing something right. Pretty confident I'll keep him though, got a release clause of 35m which I doubt will be matched.

Haha yeah, thankfully he plays more like a professional than a pub team! Still, I've had two 21m bids this summer from Chelsea and Dortmund, so he's doing something right. Pretty confident I'll keep him though, got a release clause of 35m which I doubt will be matched.

Got to start making awful puns when you post about him now :p

Summer 2022 Transfers

View attachment 200559
Compared to some transfer windows, this was a rather quiet window for the club. We did make two key signings though, that of James Ward-Prowse and Gerardo Rivero.

We all know who JWP is, and after his shock relegation from the England World Cup squad, combined with WBA's relegation, he was looking for a career change. We dived straight in, but so did Crystal Palace. Thankfully the allure of Sincil Bank was too strong, and he joins us. He also becomes our new captain, replacing the released De Francesco at the helm. Tom Hoyle remains as vice captain.

View attachment 200547

Rivero joins our increasing South American contingent. He's also a player I'm very excited to have join us, with him being ideal for the CAM role I like to use. He has very solid mental abilities for his age, and also knows where the goal is. Having made his international debut against Brazil last season, he is also in the thoughts of the national team and I look forward to him combining with Alonso up top.

Away from the pitch, and there are two pieces of news. We tied up a deal with Las Palmas, currently residing in Liga Adelente, to work with them and to secure potential prospects from their youth academy. They have also become my personal choice for loaning players, given the quality of the football in Spain. They join other affiliates Hadjuk, Kingstonian and Limerick.

We also moved back to Sincil Bank for the season, with a revised capacity of 15,180. However, plans are afoot to increase that further to 17,300, with the seats expected to be installed by late September. Finally, the ground is starting to get the treatment it has deserved for a long time.