eLmaestr0

Reaction score
View attachment 306879

I'm aware there's a frustration thread, but I think this merits it's own as I've spammed it enough in the past 2 days. Any ideas how to stop this? I've tried defensive subs, attacking subs, opp instructions throughout the game, pushing higher, dropping deeper, time wasting, keeping it the same, swapping a AMC for a DMC, everything. It's all to convienient, GK saves > falls at players feet > goal. 35 yard shot from a player with under 10 long shots > goal. Cross whipped in > 5'7 guy with under 10 heading/strength and jumping beats 2 6ft + leading CB's > goal. I'm 20 points off top spot, yet have the most goals scored in the league. In 3/4's of these games i'm on top, usually double the amount of shots and 60% poss on average.

Can I also add this isn't every single game it's happened either, there's been about 3 or 4 more games where this has happened and it's still going on regular as clockwork. I've ignored the goals after 75 minutes, which would add another 5 games where it's happened over a season. It was happening in the Blue Square Prem and League 2 but it wasn't until I hit league 1 where I saw a trend. Statistically my team are pretty much the best in the Championship. My GK, LB, 2 CB's and RB and DMC are rated as leading championship/good prem players by my 15/15+ judging assistant. My whole team could walk into any starting 11 nearly in the whole league, but focusing on my defense it's solid. Concentration levels of my team as a whole are decent for this level. GK and 2 CB'S have 15 for that stat. Morale is good > superb.

I feel like the ME is punishing me for back to back promotions. Like ''well, you have the best team statistically but we're not gonna make it that easy so we're gifting last 5 minute goals to everyone''. I genuinely don't mind losing or drawing, it adds a challenge, but when it's in the last 5 minutes in 90-95% of games I draw or lose it starts to get...irritating. Predictable. Convenient for the A.I. Also I'm suffering from the ''players get knocks or play bad > make 3 subs > player gets injured within 5 minutes'' situation. Have about 7 screenshots of that occuring over a season.

Since league 2 I've kept a mental note and i've only scored after 85 minutes once. Ridiculous.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
None of this is gamebreaking. Since the match engine is universal (ie it cant tell between player and ai). You havent given us any information about your setup, so its impossible to actually give you any advice on what you are doing wrong.

It's just another day playing Football Manager tbh, As much as I hate it there's nothing you or I can do about it other then watch it happen.

Not going to sit here and rant cause I can't be bothered. But it happens game in game out for me, Absolutely dominating the game both possession wise and shots wise but my opponents always end up stealing a draw or a win. But hey, As I said. Not going to sit here and rant, Just got to deal with it I guess.

So you conceded in stoppage time. What's gamebreaking about that?

None of this is gamebreaking. Since the match engine is universal (ie it cant tell between player and ai). You havent given us any information about your setup, so its impossible to actually give you any advice on what you are doing wrong.

I wouldn't quite say that. It's gamebreaking when regardless of what I do i'm conceeding goals in the last 5 minutes without fail in 95% of games I draw or lose.

I play 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-2-1 depending on who i'm playing. 2 CD's, 2 full backs. Everything is pretty standard, no crazy short/quick tempo with a super high line or playing super deep and direct. How I set up has no effect on it so I could play 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-5-1 whatever, nothing works. I'm not gonna start the whole ''just cuz i've played FM since CM days I'm a pro'' arguement but i've not experienced anything on this level before.

Last edited:
I wouldn't quite say that. It's gamebreaking when regardless of what I do i'm conceeding goals in the last 5 minutes without fail in 95% of games I draw or lose.

I play 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-2-1 depending on who i'm playing. 2 CD's, 2 full backs. Everything is pretty standard, no crazy short/quick tempo with a super high line or playing super deep and direct. How I set up has no effect on it so I could play 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-5-1 whatever, nothing works.

But the issue isnt anything to do with the game that's the point. There is no bug/scripting in the game that is making you concede goals. It could be all manner of things, from bad setups to simply better play by the opposition, but you havent given us a detailed approach.

There is nothing game breaking about conceding in the last minute/stoppage time.

Every game I draw or lose is a result of a goal in the last 5 minutes. No exceptions.

So instead of wondering why that could be - for instance, your subs are misguided, your players' fitness levels are low, your training schedules are overworking them, your tactics are prone to conceding late goals, you can't deal with opposition tactical changes, you fail to react to opposition moves, etc. - you instead just blame the game. Cool.

Havnt you been promoted twice in 2 years? Do you really expect to be doing amazingly every year? As has been pointed out, other people manage to do well without this happening, it's not a bug, you can't blame everything on the match engine! No offence meant by the way!

Then you are doing something wrong. Thats the simple truth.

The main intention of this thread was to ask any advice but I couldn't help but rant somewhat. It's gutting to concede late anyway, but every single time I draw/lose? That's just infuriating.

I wish I had time/effort to upload these goals, the last one was just hilarious. My player passed short just inside my half, the player in receipt of the ball (82% fitness) strolls over, basically walked to it. Blackpool player slides in, ball rolls toward the touchline. My closest player is 10 yards from it, there's 15. Their guy runs to it, wins it, plays a cross (standard.) and their ST finds 5 yards of space in the 6 yard box to slide it in. FML.

And in reply to GodCubed : seriously, i'm trying. I know when it's gonna happen, usually everytime I'm 1-0 up by half time so i'll switch it up. If there wingers are finding space I'll throw on a fresh RB/LB and close them down and if I'm playing a AMC i'll throw on a DMC to help the CB's while the wingers are being dealt with by my RB/LB. Or, if there ST's are low on pace and under 70% fitness i'll play a high line and keep them from putting pressure on my defence as high up as possible. Or if we're dominating i'll leave it as it is, make a couple like-for-like subs for some fresh legs and it still happens.

Last edited:
But you actually need to tell us what you are doing and how you are playing and what your side is like! It's impossible to help you without this info

But you actually need to tell us what you are doing and how you are playing and what your side is like! It's impossible to help you without this info

I have 3 formations set up that I'm fully trained in.

One is a 4-2-3-1 that I use at home. 2 FB's on auto, 2 CB's defend. 2 CM's and a AMC, usually a AP support/BWM defend combo with a treq/AM attack, but sometimes I'll play 2 ball winners on support/defend or a ball winner/box to box support with my AP attack in the AMC role. 2 Inside forwards, and my CF as a complete forward (Torstein Aase). Team instructions are pretty standard like I said, I have a pretty sweet technical team with a few gifted regen first teamers, so I tend to lean toward a fluid/short passing game with my defensive minded players keeping it simple.

The other 2 are basically the AMC in the above formation as a DMC, and the 4-3-2-1 is just pushing the DMC into CM as a ball winner with a CM and AP. It's working up untill 80 minutes, for example I just drew 0-0 and had 36! shots and 67% poss against 7th placed Cardiff. Not bad. Usually i'll play a bit more rigid and balanced when I'm 1-0/2-0 up and try keep the shape better.

My regens are rated as decent/leading championship players/decent prem players, the decent ones I'll ease into the team and have on the subs. The stand out non regen players I have are Lorenzo Crisetig, Torstein Anderson Aase, James Tomkins (loan) , Mikele Leigerwood, Robbie Brady, Thorgan Hazard, Suso and Antony Van Loo. All frees, all on under 7k a week and all rated as leading/good championship players or good prem players. Statistically, at least on paper, a majority of my first 11 would walk into any team in the championship and bottom half prem teams. Morale is good/superb and the Squad Harmony is 75%.

Last edited:

I have 3 formations set up that I'm fully trained in.

One is a 4-2-3-1 that I use at home. 2 FB's on auto, 2 CB's defend. 2 CM's and a AMC, usually a AP support/BWM defend combo with a treq/AM attack, but sometimes I'll play 2 ball winners on support/defend or a ball winner/box to box support with my AP attack in the AMC role. 2 Inside forwards, and my CF as a complete forward (Torstein Aase). Team instructions are pretty standard like I said, I have a pretty sweet technical team with a few gifted regen first teamers, so I tend to lean toward a fluid/short passing game with my defensive minded players keeping it simple.

The other 2 are basically the AMC in the above formation as a DMC, and the 4-3-2-1 is just pushing the DMC into CM as a ball winner with a CM and AP. It's working up untill 80 minutes, for example I just drew 0-0 and had 36! shots and 67% poss against 7th placed Cardiff. Not bad. Usually i'll play a bit more rigid and balanced when I'm 1-0/2-0 up and try keep the shape better.

The ball winner is a very aggressive role. he is not about defending the space, rather he seeks to the the ball at all times. A ball winner/ap support midfield leaves space in the pocket that can be exploited.

What are your player concentration/fitness levels like compared to the rest of the league?

The ball winner is a very aggressive role. he is not about defending the space, rather he seeks to the the ball at all times. A ball winner/ap support midfield leaves space in the pocket that can be exploited.

What are your player concentration/fitness levels like compared to the rest of the league?

Call me stupid but wasn't there a way to see your average team stats compared to the league? Like, tallest team/fastest team etc?

Going over the top 4 in the league my concentration stats are on par or better. Derby as a example are top, and have one 15, one 14, 3 13's, 5 12's then the rest 10 or under. My team has 2 15s, (gk and cb funnily enough), 7 14's, 3 13'2, 2 12's 4 11's 3 10's and the rest under.

View attachment 306892

here's my teams Concentration > Work Rate > Determination > Natural Fitness and Stamina stats. I would say they're pretty decent. None of the defensive players are near the bottom of those either.

NO DOUBT YOU TRIED KEEPING THE SAME SYSTEM HOPING IT WOULD WORK 3RD TIME AROUND, MY ADVICE TO YOU IS ON THE MATCH SCREEN KEEP THE WIDGET OF THE OPPOSITIONS FORMATION UP SO YOU CAN SEE IF/ANY CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE, ITS JUST TRIAL AND ERROR BUD, I HAD ALOT OF **** TIMES PLAYING THIS

LISTEN TO MIKE. HES A GENIUS HE HELPED ME ALOT!

NO DOUBT YOU TRIED KEEPING THE SAME SYSTEM HOPING IT WOULD WORK 3RD TIME AROUND, MY ADVICE TO YOU IS ON THE MATCH SCREEN KEEP THE WIDGET OF THE OPPOSITIONS FORMATION UP SO YOU CAN SEE IF/ANY CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE, ITS JUST TRIAL AND ERROR BUD, I HAD ALOT OF **** TIMES PLAYING THIS

LISTEN TO MIKE. HES A GENIUS HE HELPED ME ALOT!

I change my tactics to suit the game, however I agree that we could all micromanage a little bit better but I do a lot more than just hit space bar > click continue > play game > repeat.

I'm gonna try playing a lot more rigid and deeper, seems to be if I have the lions share of the game before the 80 minute mark it happens. I guess you could argue ''the team gets complacent'' cuz we've had 60%+ possession and over 25 shots but whatever.

If this was a game breaking bug we'd have about a thousand threads about it, we don't though. Late goals are common in real football and so are common on the game, its a bummer but its up to you to deal with it. Might I suggest buy some defender's with high a concentration stat. Low concentration and they will start to switch off towards the end of the match.