Time Travel? Einstein was wrong?

• Thread starter Thread starter Blynd1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 79
  • Views Views 8K
i'm thick so what will happen if Einstein was proved wrong?

Basically everything we thought we knew about physics is proved wrong. Crazy things happen. Everyone runs around like headless chickens. Heskey scores in the confusion.

Basically everything we thought we knew about physics is proved wrong. Crazy things happen. Everyone runs around like headless chickens. Heskey scores in the confusion.

Arsenal win league :D?

Arsenal win league :D?

I said everything we thought we knew about physics is proved wrong and crazy things happen, not 'the Universe collapses in on itself and every other football team in the world apart from Arsenal cease to exist'.

Just wondering.. Did nobody else realise that Physics was just theories anyway? As in, we just did as many tests as we could and they just so happened to fit our models? So, essentially, the Physics we did know were theories that looked pretty accurate based on the evidence we had, so to say 'it will change our lives' is kind of inaccurate as none of the Physics we had was actually 'right', as such.

Back on topic, this is pretty exciting. Hoping it'll be one of many discoveries to come from the LHC. No black holes that engulf and kill us all would be nice, too.

Just wondering.. Did nobody else realise that Physics was just theories anyway? As in, we just did as many tests as we could and they just so happened to fit our models? So, essentially, the Physics we did know were theories that looked pretty accurate based on the evidence we had, so to say 'it will change our lives' is kind of inaccurate as none of the Physics we had was actually 'right', as such.

Most of those theories are theories in the same way that gravity is a theory. If gravity was disproven, would it change our life? Er, yes. In much the same way, this could blow everything apart in our lives today.

Back on topic, this is pretty exciting. Hoping it'll be one of many discoveries to come from the LHC. No black holes that engulf and kill us all would be nice, too.

there are theories but its usefull too, like we can even find the speed of a ball before and after the impact. it at least tangible [in a way].

if we find that particle LHC project is doing, it gonna change the heck of everything in Physics we know. as said, gravity doent exist, its just the curvature of the earth causing it to fall. :P

Interesting. Looking forward to hearing more about this.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,no, no, no, no, no, no.

This is science, not religion, it doesn't claim to have all the answers, it strives to gain them. Science performs experiments to gain empirical data, which they then use to form theories around. We don't just make **** up to fit what we want to believe. Science is ever evolving, it's constant scepticism. Plenty of the Physics we have is right. You wouldn't be typing now, no internet, no TV, no GPS, no phones, no electric lights, no fridges. I seriously doubt you'd even be able to function in daily life if we were wrong about so much.

The LHC can't create black holes to kill us all. Was just typical sensationalist media exaggerating, much like this story in fact.
I knew the name from A Level physics, something to do with magnetism if i remember correctly? Named in honour of him posthumously rather than by Tesla himself discovering it? May be wrong though

Tesla is the SI unit for magnetic field or flux density. :)

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

there are theories but its usefull too, like we can even find the speed of a ball before and after the impact. it at least tangible [in a way].

if we find that particle LHC project is doing, it gonna change the heck of everything in Physics we know. as said, gravity doent exist, its just the curvature of the earth causing it to fall. :P

No it's not, and it does exist.

thats what im saying. LOL
we are assuming gavitiy is there, that why we use the 9.81m/s squared in any projectile question :)

You said in your post that it doesn't exist.

Assuming implies there is a chance it may or may not be there. Acceleration due to gravity is always going to exist. In projectile questions you assume acceleration is constant, you don't assume gravity is there, because it always will. And it's due to curvature in space-time, not curvature of the Earth. :)

Gravity = Illusion !

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

You said in your post that it doesn't exist.

Assuming implies there is a chance it may or may not be there. Acceleration due to gravity is always going to exist. In projectile questions you assume acceleration is constant, you don't assume gravity is there, because it always will. And it's due to curvature in space-time, not curvature of the Earth. :)

i meant that, not the Earth sry on that post before. hehe . note : im just starting higher physics, and my teacher just said it like that and half of the class went lol. so yeah i must have go confused between those too. :P

Last edited:
I think people are getting way to carried away with this at the moment. Chances are it's just a calculation error or a fault with the instruments.

They time traveled in back to the future, so I think it can happen in real life as well.

More likely an experimental error. Einstein probably had good theoretical proof. I'm not a physics guy so I don't know but maybe he did.

Honestly? This is pretty **** exciting. If another experiment shows the exact same thing, then the "light barrier" has been broken. Though it is probably down to a simple error in the experiment, and we'll more than likely find out that the barrier hasn't been broken.

But that's the best thing about Physics, we can't really be sure of anything until it's conclusively proven.

Now, I stopped doing physics after GCSE. So can someone please explain to me what this means in relation to time travel. Thanks

:wub:

The OPERA neutrino experiment at the underground Gran Sasso Laboratory has measured the velocity of neutrinos from the CERN CNGS beam over a baseline of about 730 km with much higher accuracy than previous studies conducted with accelerator neutrinos. The measurement is based on high-statistics data taken by OPERA in the years 2009, 2010 and 2011. Dedicated upgrades of the CNGS timing system and of the OPERA detector, as well as a high precision geodesy campaign for the measurement of the neutrino baseline, allowed reaching comparable systematic and statistical accuracies. An early arrival time of CNGS muon neutrinos with respect to the one computed assuming the speed of light in vacuum of (60.7 \pm 6.9 (stat.) \pm 7.4 (sys.)) ns was measured. This anomaly corresponds to a relative difference of the muon neutrino velocity with respect to the speed of light (v-c)/c = (2.48 \pm 0.28 (stat.) \pm 0.30 (sys.)) \times 10-5.

###

I ttly understand.

Now, I stopped doing physics after GCSE. So can someone please explain to me what this means in relation to time travel. Thanks

:wub:

If this is correct, in theory we could go back in time.

Back