Oddly, I have found the second season easier.

I agreed. I have only played Fm11 and fm12, but every time if i choose a top division club I struggle to find the right players in the first transfer window, and get anything going, and many times end up starting somewhere else over again, but if I get through the first season, then it starts rolling. Although I have never tried ManU etc. top 10 richest clubs in the world in either version of football manager, I just dont see the point of it. It have to be really boring after a season. Maybe if youre ManU fan I would understand, but I really dont know anything about it, cause I live in Finland and we only have that kind of culture in icehockey :)

Anyways I wouldnt say that playing in low leagues is any harder than playing in the top league. For me its the other way around. Challenge probably comes later when youre getting close of top divisions and try to stabilise your team amongst top team. I dont know cause ive never made it that far yet. In my Shrewsbury save in fm12 I won the L2 in the first season, second season I finished in the mid table in the L1 and third season im now leading the L1 when only 5 matches left and im really close of getting a promotion to Championship. So it looks like in three years time I got from L2 to Championship. So its been pretty easy so far.

Last edited:
definately easier. I've played about 4 diff saves now well into season 4/5, moving jobs after diff seasons to diff leagues etc either at the start or halfway through and i can't say it's that difficult.

It seems a lot easier to take one season to spend big and build a team then just patch it over successive seasons and just dominate with whatever is out there. For example, season 1 in serie A (9m spend) i finished 10 places above expectations, season 2 (spending about 33m) won the league and reached finals of champs league on debut in europe. Season 3 (spending about 15m) won league, champs league, domestic cup. Season 4 (spending about 20m on future youth) i left in december, top of the league to join Arsenal who were 16th with a squad that had no more stars unless you count Walcott and Szceszny as world class and finished 2nd with finalist in FA Cup and Champs league winner. All that pretty much just buying from the transfer list and relegated teams.

Its pretty obvious that you can stick to one tactic, buy a couple of players and coast it this year as the team talks seem stupidly unbalanced. You don't even need to be particularly varied with them either, i have 2 that i give depending on if i'm the fave or not and if i've scored 3 or not by half time.

So yeah i think the next patch might address balance issues of the motivational talks.

I don't know about that. First season with Real, sure I scored 130 or so goals in the league, but I lost a lot of matches and came 2nd, about 17 points behind Barca. So far this season I'm 3 points ahead of Barca and I'm undefeated throughout all competitions.

However I did win the Champions League and the Spanish Cup in the first season.

I kinda agree with you. This year I haven't had a save thats gone badly for me. I got Brighton into the europa league, I've won Serie A 3 years on the trot with fiorentina, and I've got Vitesse into the Champions League..

I am going to try a lower league team also before I pass full judgement, but surley if your past experience chosen is Sunday League footballer, this should make the game harder?? Is this the point of the question or is it just to make potential signings easier??

Can the next patch make the game harder also???

I agreed. I have only played Fm11 and fm12, but every time if i choose a top division club I struggle to find the right players in the first transfer window, and get anything going, and many times end up starting somewhere else over again, but if I get through the first season, then it starts rolling. Although I have never tried ManU etc. top 10 richest clubs in the world in either version of football manager, I just dont see the point of it. It have to be really boring after a season. Maybe if youre ManU fan I would understand, but I really dont know anything about it, cause I live in Finland and we only have that kind of culture in icehockey :)

Anyways I wouldnt say that playing in low leagues is any harder than playing in the top league. For me its the other way around. Challenge probably comes later when youre getting close of top divisions and try to stabilise your team amongst top team. I dont know cause ive never made it that far yet. In my Shrewsbury save in fm12 I won the L2 in the first season, second season I finished in the mid table in the L1 and third season im now leading the L1 when only 5 matches left and im really close of getting a promotion to Championship. So it looks like in three years time I got from L2 to Championship. So its been pretty easy so far.

To be fair mate, on my Morecambe save, the computer got Shrewsbury out of L2 in the first season and reached the L1 play-offs the next. That's just a pretty good side to choose.

Ok so now almost completed my second season....and really a season of two halfs.

Won my first 15 games, top at xmas, champs league qualifer (won all 6 games), league cup finalist (lost to Liverpool).

Second half of season, signed Hulk for £33m.....Once Parker is replaced with my main target for next season (javi Martinex) then I would argue that I have the best midfield and attack you could have!

So 2nd half of season, lost in QF to Man U of Champs League, 3 points behind Utd in league and out of FA Cup.

Team

Gomes
Walker
Dawson
Vertonghan
Parker
Modric
Bale
Hulk
Tevez
Damaio

I am currently starting my second season with Fulham, the first one being quite succesful. We won the Carling Cup, FA Cup and finished 4th in the Premier League. PSG knocked us out in the UEL 1st KO round though but you can't have it all can you? I made two key signings in Badelj and Ansaldi and three others but they didn't feature much. Zamora scored 35 in all competitions, Dembélé scored 24, Dempsey scored 20, Ruiz scored 19 and so on. I certainly did not expect that kind of domination when I started. I was Fulham after all.

I signed Vertonghen, Sigurdsson, Ramírez and Consigli in the summer and got a lucky draw in the CL as we got HSV in the playoff. Hoping to go far in the CL mainly because we need dat money, considering we just started paying our £180m debt back. Was this an easy first season syndrome or am I the best ever? We shall see.

Last edited:
This thread makes me feel even worse!

Until this Christmas, I'd only ever played FM10 and I've won everything on there. However, on FM12 it seems to take a long time for a team (and tactics) to gel. Also, I'm experiencing more injuries than usual.

I always start a FM save with Arsenal so I can feel my way around the game. In FM10, I managed to win the league but halfway through this season and it looks like 3rd/4th is my best bet. The fact that you start with Wilshere out for 9 months doesn't help either and City/United are so far ahead in terms of quality and budget, it's unreal.

To me, it feels like the computer stays in the game far more than I found in FM10. Their defending seems alot better, whereas my 'world class' defenders make one mistake and it's punished. FM10 felt less harsh. It's not my tactics because I'm using Raikan's Might and Magic.

Ya'll ever thought of taking a semi pro low league team as sunday league rep with your own custom tactic? Not easy.

Ya'll ever thought of taking a semi pro low league team as sunday league rep with your own custom tactic? Not easy.

Thats why I havent updated this for a while.

Been AFC Wimbledon. Same Tactics, same manager style.

Won promotion 1st season, finished 2nd. 2nd Season just about to start, then came back to spurs game.

I guess what i am hoping for here, it to realise it is my manager skills and not just the game being easy!!

Depends what players are playing in your tactic, who you playing where??

This thread makes me feel even worse!

Until this Christmas, I'd only ever played FM10 and I've won everything on there. However, on FM12 it seems to take a long time for a team (and tactics) to gel. Also, I'm experiencing more injuries than usual.

I always start a FM save with Arsenal so I can feel my way around the game. In FM10, I managed to win the league but halfway through this season and it looks like 3rd/4th is my best bet. The fact that you start with Wilshere out for 9 months doesn't help either and City/United are so far ahead in terms of quality and budget, it's unreal.

To me, it feels like the computer stays in the game far more than I found in FM10. Their defending seems alot better, whereas my 'world class' defenders make one mistake and it's punished. FM10 felt less harsh. It's not my tactics because I'm using Raikan's Might and Magic.

Of course this game is stupidly easy when you know who all the good players are, use training schedules and "elite" tactics made by other people and have no reason to not milk all the transfer money available to you to buy good players with which to augment your squad. I'm not saying this is a bad thing though, as you can play it how you want to, but games like these tend to be "more easy" when you know who is good or not through real life experience or from past or previous games. As people have said before, it essentially boils down to how you want to play your game. Do you impose "house-rules" or go all-out?

Of course this game is stupidly easy when you know who all the good players are, use training schedules and "elite" tactics made by other people and have no reason to not milk all the transfer money available to you to buy good players with which to augment your squad. I'm not saying this is a bad thing though, as you can play it how you want to, but games like these tend to be "more easy" when you know who is good or not through real life experience or from past or previous games. As people have said before, it essentially boils down to how you want to play your game. Do you impose "house-rules" or go all-out?

Yeah, i agree. It's going to be easy when you're Spurs and are signing Carlos Tevez for £7.5m. That's exploiting a dumb-*** AI. It's also going to be easy when you're paying everything over 48mths so you can buy a new squad. It's also going to be easy when you exploit the AI's lack or realism in terms of wages- Tottenham cannot afford 200k wages. Not pointing at the OP, but i see many players do this, and then wonder why it's so easy.

I'm managing Spurs and i don't/won't give anyone a contract over 80-90k p/wk untill we get our new stadium. I don't sign Hollywood players like that plank Neymar or Tevez. Won't spend £30 on Damiao but instead scour the world for an unearthed gem and develop him instead. And generally develop youth a la Moneyball model.

That said, to all the people saying go and manage a LLM club- People should be able to manage who they want and still be challenged. You think SAF does not find managing Utd a huge challenge?

Yeah, i agree. It's going to be easy when you're Spurs and are signing Carlos Tevez for £7.5m. That's exploiting a dumb-*** AI. It's also going to be easy when you're paying everything over 48mths so you can buy a new squad. It's also going to be easy when you exploit the AI's lack or realism in terms of wages- Tottenham cannot afford 200k wages. Not pointing at the OP, but i see many players do this, and then wonder why it's so easy.

I'm managing Spurs and i don't/won't give anyone a contract over 80-90k p/wk untill we get our new stadium. I don't sign Hollywood players like that plank Neymar or Tevez. Won't spend £30 on Damiao but instead scour the world for an unearthed gem and develop him instead. And generally develop youth a la Moneyball model.

That said, to all the people saying go and manage a LLM club- People should be able to manage who they want and still be challenged. You think SAF does not find managing Utd a huge challenge?

The flip side to the above is that playing as Spurs, it is all well and good only paying a maximum of 80k p/w but as in real life, spurs are a top four side already. To take them to the next level as in real life, I have only 4 players on 100k+, Hulk, Tevez, Damaio and Sergio Ramos. World Class players, so whilst I enjoy the challange of building up Spurs' profile, scouting network, youth team etc etc, to actually play the game with spurs, I would have though they needed taking to the next level.

Incidentally we won both the reserve league and u18's league last year.

i hate people going "i play with *huge top 5 in the world club* and its too easy , go with a small team , like league 2 or summit much harder and more fun