nikidoug

Reaction score
If you play a 15-16 year old in your first team, does he risk burning out and not reaching his full potential? Just worried if I'm starting my 16 year old left back wonderkid in too many games. He's started 20 games and it's January.

im not 100% sure, but i read somewhere that they can still reach there full PA, but then their stats decline a whole lot earlier and faster than usual.

How do you know how much is too much? This post is disturbing to me because I start a 16 year old at RB. Is there any specific number of games or km run or something? Can you think of any real world examples of burnout?

i never ever play a player till he reaches 18, or if he is a proper wonderkid, maybe late 17, not before they have had a proper year in youth training, tutoring etc.. or maybe a loan move.

How do you know how much is too much? This post is disturbing to me because I start a 16 year old at RB. Is there any specific number of games or km run or something? Can you think of any real world examples of burnout?

owen, wilshere was burnt out a couple of seasons ago, thats why he was injured so long, liverpool are doing it with sterling.

Owen was a perfect example, there is also some potentials that people debate about, for example Robinhio and Pato, where both really young and good. Then moved to Europe and struggled. Burned out or they could have just struggling to adapt.

Yes 16 is too young too be a regular first team starter. Depending on who you are managing look to play in low key games like league cup and last 20 min or so of some other games where you a are winning. Raikan007 thread mentioned above is a must read.

As others have said Owen is the best real life example.

Just like to point out though, a player who is played too much too young will still reach his potential, but he will reach it earlier and will then start to decrease younger. So for short-term gain it could, debatabley, be better to burn out your players :)

Of course you run the risk of injury, which would effect his potential.

And the flipside of people using Owen as an example of a player who "burnt out" is Messi. He was played in favour of Ronaldinho when he was young, and so he is peaking very early. (I am not saying Messi has complelety peaked yet! But as (Cristiano) Ronaldo has peaked now in his late 20s, Messi is becoming good in his mid 20s and will probably have a slightly shorter career at the top than Ronaldo!)

i dont think messi will do an owen. for me he is just a phenoman who comes along probably once a century. like usain bolt in terms of athletics. owen was just pace, you could also add torres. messi's game is based on so much more than just shear pace.

same with old players aswell. players like gerrard. whos game is based on box to box. when they can no longer do that. they arent just as good. although he can still spray those passes pin point.

Just like to point out though, a player who is played too much too young will still reach his potential, but he will reach it earlier and will then start to decrease younger. So for short-term gain it could, debatabley, be better to burn out your players :)

Of course you run the risk of injury, which would effect his potential.

And the flipside of people using Owen as an example of a player who "burnt out" is Messi. He was played in favour of Ronaldinho when he was young, and so he is peaking very early. (I am not saying Messi has complelety peaked yet! But as (Cristiano) Ronaldo has peaked now in his late 20s, Messi is becoming good in his mid 20s and will probably have a slightly shorter career at the top than Ronaldo!)

Yeah I was thinking Messi as an example of burnout too but I thought about it and was like what the **** he's the best in the world... None of this has totally convinced me not to play my 16 year old. He has all five stars for PA and is still a solid 4 for CA... I guess I should just sell him at like age 23 or so in order to get the most out of him.

Yeah I was thinking Messi as an example of burnout too but I thought about it and was like what the **** he's the best in the world... None of this has totally convinced me not to play my 16 year old. He has all five stars for PA and is still a solid 4 for CA... I guess I should just sell him at like age 23 or so in order to get the most out of him.

dont sell him at 23, lol he wont burn out that quick. probably late 20s maybe 28 or 29.

I have all my under 18's who are top talents getting extra game time not in the first team, but also allowing them to be picked for the reserve matches.

Seems to work well for me.

I have all my under 18's who are top talents getting extra game time not in the first team, but also allowing them to be picked for the reserve matches.

Seems to work well for me.

Yeah I don't let my wonderkid regens play U18's! Straight in to the reserves and the occasional first team game for me! Best way in my opinion as the training is much better in the reserves and they're playing with better players!

People who are using Owen as a burn out example. His injuries were probably not caused by burning out. The physiotherapists misdiagnosed his injury and then they did something that aggravated it hence the recurring injuries.

i dont think messi will do an owen. for me he is just a phenoman who comes along probably once a century. like usain bolt in terms of athletics. owen was just pace, you could also add torres. messi's game is based on so much more than just shear pace.

No, I am pointing out Messi was the exact opposite of Owen. He burnt out early, but for the better. He became good very young, whereas most players like Ronaldo only become that good around the 27/28 year mark :)

If you play him for 10 years, from 16 to 26, then sold him by 100 000 000 00 € and he starts to go down it's a very good deal :D

No, I am pointing out Messi was the exact opposite of Owen. He burnt out early, but for the better. He became good very young, whereas most players like Ronaldo only become that good around the 27/28 year mark :)

Ronaldo only became that good at 27/28 ?? Beam me up scotty..he cost Real £80mill when he was 24 or 25! He tore up the premier league in his last couple of seasons at utd...heard he's on his way back to premier..hopefully Newcastle :p