Too young for the first team?

• Thread starter Thread starter nikidoug
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 6K
Ronaldo only became that good at 27/28 ?? Beam me up scotty..he cost Real £80mill when he was 24 or 25! He tore up the premier league in his last couple of seasons at utd...heard he's on his way back to premier..hopefully Newcastle :P

Ronaldo is twice the player he was at United. Granted, he was still absolutely immense in England (Unfortunatly) but he wasn't at the standard he is at today...

Ronaldo is twice the player he was at United. Granted, he was still absolutely immense in England (Unfortunatly) but he wasn't at the standard he is at today...

157 goals in 196 appearances in PL!
126 goals in 117 appearances in la liga!

When I watch him play, he doesnt look TWICE the player! Obviously a little more experienced...an maybe a better attitude. But imho no better technically.
As for Messi..Im not sure how good he would have been without being blessed with electric pace an low center of gravity (lol), where as I think Ronaldo (The hare) is more like Beckham (The tortouise)..got alot more to his game an can add alot more to set-pieces, so should last longer...should...but then Messi is magical

157 goals in 196 appearances in PL!
126 goals in 117 appearances in la liga!

When I watch him play, he doesnt look TWICE the player! Obviously a little more experienced...an maybe a better attitude. But imho no better technically.
As for Messi..Im not sure how good he would have been without being blessed with electric pace an low center of gravity (lol), where as I think Ronaldo (The hare) is more like Beckham (The tortouise)..got alot more to his game an can add alot more to set-pieces, so should last longer...should...but then Messi is magical

La Liga isn't as quick and physical as the Premier League hence the reason why he's scored more goals. In the Premier League he gets closed down quicker and not able to take a shot as easy as La Liga where the philosophy is all about keeping the ball and choosing your opportunities to gets shots on goal wisely.

La Liga isn't as quick and physical as the Premier League hence the reason why he's scored more goals. In the Premier League he gets closed down quicker and not able to take a shot as easy as La Liga where the philosophy is all about keeping the ball and choosing your opportunities to gets shots on goal wisely.

Exactly! but does that make him twice as good since he left PL?

Exactly! but does that make him twice as good since he left PL?

Ronlado probably isnt a much better player than when he was at United, I'd argue he would be a true Complete Forward had he stayed. What Madrid have done is to totally and utterly commit to his strengths, ie isolating and destroying any weak link in the defensive line, while removing all defensive responsibility from his shoulders, and also having far less team responsibility in terms of creating

Won't the players mental stats improve and offset the decreases though when they get older? To be honest, the biggest problem I have with players is injuries, they (maybe not the defensive players so much) tend to be slightly weaker and long term injuries at that age have ruined several wonderkids (both in game and in real life).

Messi probably won't be as fast in a few years but remember the 5-0 classico? I could see him easily adapting his game to a more traditional number 10 role (and this could be the type of thing to consider in FM, adapting a role as a player changes).

With Cristiano it seemed more about developing the mental side of his game more than anything, giving him the experience to go with his determination, to link this to FM I tend to find regens who turn up at 18, 19 (or at least start playing first team games then) tend to develop into more well rounded players whereas a player of 15 with great stats for one role, ie poacher, will end up having phenomenal stats for the some parts of that position (finishing, Acceleration) but generally won't develop as well in all areas needed to be the best in the position (although this may be due to injuries and things like that).

Although just to point out that not every player in real life suffers badly with burnout take a look at AC Milan (Maldini, Nesta, Costacurta, Baresi, etc) when the Milan lab was good they could prolong a players career, Maldini was playing from 17 to 40 I think and arguably spent most of that time as one of the best in the World and FM does reflect this with some players who never seem to dip in form (Like Aguero, who in real life has been playing since 15 I think and is still one of the Worlds best in game at 31 (at least in the saves I've had so far).

Won't the players mental stats improve and offset the decreases though when they get older?

They'll do that anyway, and wouldn't you rather have a player that was both mentally and physically at his peak?

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about burnout - if he's fit and the best in that position, he deserves to play. What's the point of worrying about where he'll be at 28 or 31, when he might have left your club by that time?

Won't the players mental stats improve and offset the decreases though when they get older? To be honest, the biggest problem I have with players is injuries, they (maybe not the defensive players so much) tend to be slightly weaker and long term injuries at that age have ruined several wonderkids (both in game and in real life).

Messi probably won't be as fast in a few years but remember the 5-0 classico? I could see him easily adapting his game to a more traditional number 10 role (and this could be the type of thing to consider in FM, adapting a role as a player changes).

With Cristiano it seemed more about developing the mental side of his game more than anything, giving him the experience to go with his determination, to link this to FM I tend to find regens who turn up at 18, 19 (or at least start playing first team games then) tend to develop into more well rounded players whereas a player of 15 with great stats for one role, ie poacher, will end up having phenomenal stats for the some parts of that position (finishing, Acceleration) but generally won't develop as well in all areas needed to be the best in the position (although this may be due to injuries and things like that).

Although just to point out that not every player in real life suffers badly with burnout take a look at AC Milan (Maldini, Nesta, Costacurta, Baresi, etc) when the Milan lab was good they could prolong a players career, Maldini was playing from 17 to 40 I think and arguably spent most of that time as one of the best in the World and FM does reflect this with some players who never seem to dip in form (Like Aguero, who in real life has been playing since 15 I think and is still one of the Worlds best in game at 31 (at least in the saves I've had so far).

Nice..ah man i adored that Milan side, an besides Gazza and Ian Wright..Baresi was one of my earliest idols.
Thanks man, for bringing back some nice memories :)

Ronlado probably isnt a much better player than when he was at United, I'd argue he would be a true Complete Forward had he stayed. What Madrid have done is to totally and utterly commit to his strengths, ie isolating and destroying any weak link in the defensive line, while removing all defensive responsibility from his shoulders, and also having far less team responsibility in terms of creating

Thats pretty much what im thinkin mate, your not as stupid as you look ( joke..please dont get huffy) lol
If he came back to the premiership, how do you think he would cope? Now of course he would "cope", the dudes class is easy on the eyes, but with Mourinho changing his style..
Im just not sure if he would have the same impact as before where he was more dynamic an threatening from all areas of the pitch (I always remember that goal he scored from dribbling from the edge of the utd box).

Only thing im sure of, is when he pulls on the Newcastle No9 shirt (:P), it will be like Ginola on roids!

Nice..ah man i adored that Milan side, an besides Gazza and Ian Wright..Baresi was one of my earliest idols.
Thanks man, for bringing back some nice memories :)

Thats OK. :)

I only really remember Nesta, Maldini and Costacurta in their older years but but my love of the history of football and football tactics has lead me to admire that team greatly. Calcio (by John foot) is a wonderful book, that has a great (small) part on Maldini and bigger one on why Italian defenders are so elegant on the ball and always try to stay on their feet.

In the early 90's they were as dominant as Barcelona are now (arguably more so as the retained the EC) but don't seem to get as much credit as they deserve.

(think I my have gone off topic :P although to vaguely link it back to FM this is why I teach players with great anticipation, concentration and decent pace to stay on feet)

Last edited:
owen, wilshere was burnt out a couple of seasons ago, thats why he was injured so long, liverpool are doing it with sterling.

Owen had more injuries than minutes played. As for Sterling, he is 18 and has made 19 apps so far. To say "Liverpool are doing it with Sterling" is just plain wrong, it's way too early to conclude with anything even close to that.

to the op. kinda depends what club you are aswell. I mean if your a low club its more likly you have to sell him play him as much he can. as le havre in earlier fm I usual give young players the last 20mins off a game except if hes a huge wonderkid and is better than the starter allready. like benjamin mendy ;).
never get to have my youth talents more than 3 seasons so got to play them a lot. hehe

at higher lvl clubs I still tend to play them the last 20 mins off a game. but perhaps not every game

Owen had more injuries than minutes played. As for Sterling, he is 18 and has made 19 apps so far. To say "Liverpool are doing it with Sterling" is just plain wrong, it's way too early to conclude with anything even close to that.

owen had injuries because he was burnt out at a young age, sterling has played for england and england under 21's at the age of 17 and has been playing loads of games for liverpool, only just turned 18, if they aren't careful he will get burnt out, it's like wilshere all over again, i dont wanna see it happen to sterling cause he is a great player, this is why chamberlain hasn't played as much or aswell, because he was over played last season, needed a break.

In my opinion Sterling is way too young to play 35-50 games a year with Liverpool, and i think that if you are under 18 you shouldnt be playing anywhere near as many as sterling has so far. Also i think that if he continues to be played this frequently he may very well end up like Owen. Hopefully Rodgers sees Wilshere as an example and then moderates Sterlings game time from christmas onwards.

Rodgers needs to use him more sporadically so he can play for LFC for the next 10-15 years not just the next 3.

But then again, im sitting here at my computer because im not good enough to get the Liverpool job :)

Last edited:
ive never had a 16 year old that is good enough to play every game for me, maybe ive been unlucky, but i do use them in easier matches to give my first team players a rest. once they are around late 17, 18, 19, thats when they break through.

owen had injuries because he was burnt out at a young age, sterling has played for england and england under 21's at the age of 17 and has been playing loads of games for liverpool, only just turned 18, if they aren't careful he will get burnt out, it's like wilshere all over again, i dont wanna see it happen to sterling cause he is a great player, this is why chamberlain hasn't played as much or aswell, because he was over played last season, needed a break.

In my opinion Sterling is way too young to play 35-50 games a year with Liverpool, and i think that if you are under 18 you shouldnt be playing anywhere near as many as sterling has so far. Also i think that if he continues to be played this frequently he may very well end up like Owen. Hopefully Rodgers sees Wilshere as an example and then moderates Sterlings game time from christmas onwards.

Rodgers needs to use him more sporadically so he can play for LFC for the next 10-15 years not just the next 3.

But then again, im sitting here at my computer because im not good enough to get the Liverpool job :)

Well, that's why we're playing FM and Rodgers is a real life manager; he's probably suited for the job. But I think we all know that the main reason Sterling has been playing so many games in a row is because of the lack of good alternatives. I have absolutely no fear of Sterling being burnt out, it takes more than 20 games to do that.

Well, that's why we're playing FM and Rodgers is a real life manager; he's probably suited for the job. But I think we all know that the main reason Sterling has been playing so many games in a row is because of the lack of good alternatives. I have absolutely no fear of Sterling being burnt out, it takes more than 20 games to do that.

Rodgers definitely knows what he is doing, just look at the work he done with swansea. I think that sterling is one of their brightest players and a young talent but it defo takes more than one season to burn a player out and there are more factors to it than that. He has the best intentions and sees it as an investment as he isn't really looking at this season really he is thinking ahead.

TBH I don't think Rodgers can take more than 70% (that's being generous) of the credit of what's happening at Swansea.

He's left now, and they're still playing the same.

And by all accounts they were playing like that before he came.

Swansea have almost always been a passing team and always been told it wont work. However when Martinez took over Swansea became more passing based but when Paulo Souso took over he gave Swansea a iron defence whilst still passing the ball around but not as much. Then, Rodgers linked the Iron Defence and the beautiful passing to create the Swansea that got promoted to the pl. then when Laudrup took over the style went back towards the Martinez era and more of an attacking style with a less sturdy defence.

A couple of guys have said it already, but low key games, or the last 20 - 30 min against weaker opposition is the best way to go. At 18 years old you loan him out to a 2nd tier team (with good training facilities), the following year to a lesser 1st tier team (also with good training facilities), and then he will be ready for a lot of first team action.

Back