Torres joy at first Chelsea goal

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 3K
He was an amazing player. After his knee surgery at Pool a year ago he has never been the same player. Liverpool did very well to get £50M for him. I personally don't think he will be the same player again, his movement is poor and he is also very lazy (like towards the end of his pool days). Chelsea have a world class player in Drogba who they really do need to keep in the summer...

He looked pretty pacey and movement was good trying to get the ball, especially after he scored. Were we watching different games or are you still just another Liverpool fan trolling over Torres?

He was an amazing player. After his knee surgery at Pool a year ago he has never been the same player. Liverpool did very well to get £50M for him. I personally don't think he will be the same player again, his movement is poor and he is also very lazy (like towards the end of his pool days). Chelsea have a world class player in Drogba who they really do need to keep in the summer...

One thing he has not been and that is lazy. He has been chasing down everything which is the least we expect of him. His movement was excellent yesterday and has been fine even before that. He needed a new start and he has that now, he is still getting used to everything so this goal drout did not worry me at all.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

He looked pretty pacey and movement was good trying to get the ball, especially after he scored. Were we watching different games or are you still just another Liverpool fan trolling over Torres?

Going on past expirience i would say the latter.

I don't know. I am guessing you 2 are Chelsea fans... You are going to defend him.
My uni mate who is a season ticket holder at Stamford said from the beginning that it was a very big signing for Chelsea but they have signed a player who is past it. I said the same thing a couple of months back on FM Base and funny enough, im pretty sure you 2 are the same guys who said i was 'trolling'. A lot has happened since then.. A 14 game 903 Minute goal draught for a £50M striker came to an end. If you watch Torres his movement is actually very poor, you ask any other fan (except Chelsea) and they will tell you the same. Even LFC fans got tired of his laziness towards the end of 2010!

I've just explained my point and somehow every time i make my point on Chelsea i get accused of 'trolling'. Really is pathetic when someone just speaks there opinion and the SAME people always reply... :(

I don't know. I am guessing you 2 are Chelsea fans... You are going to defend him.
My uni mate who is a season ticket holder at Stamford said from the beginning that it was a very big signing for Chelsea but they have signed a player who is past it. I said the same thing a couple of months back on FM Base and funny enough, im pretty sure you 2 are the same guys who said i was 'trolling'. A lot has happened since then.. A 14 game 903 Minute goal draught for a £50M striker came to an end. If you watch Torres his movement is actually very poor, you ask any other fan (except Chelsea) and they will tell you the same. Even LFC fans got tired of his laziness towards the end of 2010!

I've just explained my point and somehow every time i make my point on Chelsea i get accused of 'trolling'. Really is pathetic when someone just speaks there opinion and the SAME people always reply... :(

Grey shirt. Scroll over it, see who I support.

Hey, at least they've got appearances from their £50m man compared to your £35m man? ;)

Wouldn't say he's lazy tbh. But there are times when he's been trying too hard, which stems from lack of confidence. Which he will now have gotten back. And besides aswell, he's very unselfish and creates chances for his team mates. Like that chance he set up for Anelka yesterday that was cleared off the line by Gabbidon yesterday. He contributes in so many ways, but not everyone sees it

Last edited:

He is a big signing but like he said after the game yesterday joining a team in January is not easy and im trying to get used to a style of play im not used too (there is a reason why big signings normally happen in the summer). He joined Chelsea unfit because he was over used by Liverpool and Spain and worn down to the bare bone. The price tag is irrlevent, we bought him in to get him fit and used to our style of play. I know for a fact you havent watched every minute he has played and his movement has not been poor at all and as for being lazy, maybe he was at Pool but he has run his ******* **** off at Chelsea and all you have to do is listen to the Chelsea fans and hear how much we sing his name.

You are forgetting the man is only human and needs time to get used to his new teamates and surroundings etc.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Wouldn't say he's lazy tbh. But there are times when he's been trying too hard, which stems from lack of confidence. Which he will now have gotten back

Exacly that, surely thats the opposite of lazy though ay?

He joined Chelsea unfit because he was over used by Liverpool and Spain and worn down to the bare bone. The price tag is irrlevent, we bought him in to get him fit and used to our style of play.
---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Liverpool barely used him in the last 2 seasons as he was out injured for most of the time. He was fit and scored against you when you signed him. He was match fit and had a good break too.

Jan signing takes time, yes. Thats a valid one and i believe we will see him at his best next season. If not then Sheva part 2.

He has played 38 and 32 games in the last 2 seasons. Not league games, over all. Thats too low for a key player.

Joel's Man Utd fan, If I remember correct.
I agree with you, Torres have been lazy for a year now, just like Berbatov when he came at OT. Even tho I can't take that little spanish ****, and I can't even look and him, he is solid player and I expect from him to score another one this season.

Liverpool barely used him in the last 2 seasons as he was out injured for most of the time. He was fit and scored against you when you signed him. He was match fit and had a good break too.

Jan signing takes time, yes. Thats a valid one and i believe we will see him at his best next season. If not then Sheva part 2.

He has played 38 and 32 games in the last 2 seasons. Not league games, over all. Thats too low for a key player.

Difference with Sheva was we signed him when he was 30 and he had never played in the PL before. Torres just needs to get fit and get his confidence back but dosent need to adapt to the PL.

Yes Torres has had a bad season but you take away the fact that he is a prolific goalscorer at Premier League level. He was unhappy at Liverpool and the press didn't help by calling him a 'flop' when he clearly is not, all he needs is confidence and i think he will be a good player once again as yesterday after his goal he livened up, started chasing defenders down, looking for any spare balls, movement was good, and his finish was excellent. I just wish people would understand that he has had a torrid 12 months, but he is still a good player .

Players have non-scoring runs all the time!!
Henry when he joined Arsenal. I think Bergkamp took 16 games to score and nobody would doubt those 2 went onto be a success...
Even David Villa has just gone 11 games without scoring until last night playing for the best team in the world.
He has played consecutively for 3 years without a proper summer off. He looks fitter in the last week and that goal will give him the confidence needed to push on and score load now I am sure!!

@ Namski - "I said the same thing a couple of months back on FM Base and funny enough, im pretty sure you 2 are the same guys who said i was 'trolling'."

Calm down ffs! He really can not do as bad as Torres. 0 in his first 6 apps LOL!
On topic, players from Brazil tend not to do as well in PL.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/england/68719-chelsea-sign-lucas-piazon-2.html#post1071841

Fees rising could reach £10M...
But he could be a flop like Torres........

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/england/68719-chelsea-sign-lucas-piazon-2.html#post1071810

lol.

Me either. I think even Pool fans will agree he was over used at times at Liverpool because they relied on him (nothing wrong with that) but it wore him down. Now he has a new start at a more physical side which will only be good to him and he is just getting his fitness back. The main thing for him this season was to get his fitness back and try and adapt to Chelsea's way of playing and chip in with a few goals if he can. Even on a pitch like that today he looked much quicker than anyone else, its amazing what a goal can do for confidence.
Agreed. We relied on him and Stevie G too much, like at Chelsea you have great backups (Sturridge, Zhirkov, etc.) and same at United (Berba, Anderson, etc.) but we only have players like Cole and Aqualani who are not very good and so we cannot really rely on them when our best players are slightly unfit. I think he has declined though, as a result of over-use and he will never be the player he was. Just my opinion, though, although he had good work rate and pace yesterday.

Would of totally messed it up if it isn't for the wet pitch, the rain isn't getting enough credit here!
Yeah, but if it wasn't for the rain, the ball (probably) wouldn't of skidded away from him in the first place, he did well to score.

No he hasn't, it now says yes though :(.

Right, he's scored his goal, he's made his point, now can we just give it another year while he does a Shevchenko and goes back to his childhood club with his tail between his legs and a large loss in money for Chelsea. At least it wasn't as bad as Forlan at Manchester United :P

On a more serious note I still doubt him doing well at Chelsea, he hasn't been good since Benitez was comfortable in a job at Anfield. He also needs to be played up top on his own and have a wealth of creativity to supply him. Chelsea have Benayoun and possibly Anelka if used in a trequartista role but Benayoun is injured and always going to be a back up and Anelka could go at the end of the season. So where would the supply come from.

Lampard as we all know is best driving from deep ad attacking the box late, not for defence ripping passes. Essien is too much of an engine and workhorse to be relied on for creativity, its not where his strengths lie. Mikel probably hasn't played the ball any further than 15 yards in his life and rarely passes forward.

Malouda can be very good but also absolutely shocking and creativity from wide out isn't all that easy. We've seen Zhirkov play in the centre of midfield but its not where he is strongest and to be fair he hasn't delivered for Chelsea. Ramires is too similar to Essien only a bit more attacking.

So who is left? I guess Chelsea will have to nurture McEachran until he is capable of sustaining a first team place which could be a while yet, he is only 17-18. So that's my view on it, Torres did well at Liverpool when he had Gerrard and Xabi Alonso feeding him. Chelsea can't provide that passing ability and creativity
Chelsea to get Modric or Hazard? They could solve their problems.

McEachran can already play in that role and has been for the youth team this season. Benayoun had one bad injury which was a shame but it fit at the moment. There is no guarrentee that Anelka will be sold in the summer yet and we do have players that can set players up. Over the 6year period Lampard has more assists then Gerrard and as we saw Yesrerday Drogba can also play deep and set up goals. If worse comes to worse they we could even sign a player in the summer.
Lampard has more assists because he has better teammates who can win the ball and pass to him. Also, Gerrard is regularly injured and he is relied on a lot more, so that leads to stress and unfitness.

Happy Torres broke his duck-it was badly needed for his confidence. It was a little obvious it was heading through the floor. I doubt very much it'll be a Schevchenko situation though-even though I did say it could possibly be that so I hold my hands up on that one :$. He is without doubt a tremondously talented player. Not saying that'll he start suddenly banging them in like billyo in the remaining games-Chelsea still need to get the supply a bit right. But mark my words, next season, he'll be back with a vengance. And I'm looking forward to it. Don't like seeing a player like Torres suffering with such a goal drought like he did.
Just because he's scored doesn't mean he's going to better than Sheva, Sheva did score too, y'know ;).

Hey, we don't all troll over Torres! He's just not as good as before I think and we were getting fed up of his attitude at Anfield.

One thing he has not been and that is lazy. He has been chasing down everything which is the least we expect of him. His movement was excellent yesterday and has been fine even before that. He needed a new start and he has that now, he is still getting used to everything so this goal drout did not worry me at all.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Going on past expirience i would say the latter.
He's not been lazy but he was for us this season and he got confidence this game after his goal and so he was happy to work for the team now he's got his goal.

Yep. I have got tired of his laziness for us and then he suddenly wants to run around chasing the ball for Chelsea...
Also, don't just say people troll just because they have a different (and maybe ridiculous in your opinion) opinion to you, this is a forum.

Last edited:
Im very pleased that Torres has finally got off the mark for Chelsea. Im a big fan of his and hopefully he can go on from this and get a few more before the end of the season

Agreed. We relied on him and Stevie G too much, like at Chelsea you have great backups (Sturridge, Zhirkov, etc.) and same at United (Berba, Anderson, etc.) but we only have players like Cole and Aqualani who are not very good and so we cannot really rely on them when our best players are slightly unfit. I think he has declined though, as a result of over-use and he will never be the player he was. Just my opinion, though, although he had good work rate and pace yesterday.

Yeah, but if it wasn't for the rain, the ball (probably) wouldn't of skidded away from him in the first place, he did well to score.

No he hasn't, it now says yes though :(.

Chelsea to get Modric or Hazard? They could solve their problems.

Lampard has more assists because he has better teammates who can win the ball and pass to him. Also, Gerrard is regularly injured and he is relied on a lot more, so that leads to stress and unfitness.

Just because he's scored doesn't mean he's going to better than Sheva, Sheva did score too, y'know ;).

Hey, we don't all troll over Torres! He's just not as good as before I think and we were getting fed up of his attitude at Anfield.

He's not been lazy but he was for us this season and he got confidence this game after his goal and so he was happy to work for the team now he's got his goal.

Yep. I have got tired of his laziness for us and then he suddenly wants to run around chasing the ball for Chelsea...
Also, don't just say people troll just because they have a different (and maybe ridiculous in your opinion) opinion to you, this is a forum.

I agree with all your points mate but i just want to make it clear i wasent slating Gerrard lol, i love Stevie G. I was just saying Lampard makes as much goals as Gerrard does and we have other players too. McEachran will rake in assists when he breaks through.

Was a typial Torres finish, pleased for the lad.

Was also nice to see the support from the rest of the team too when he scored.

The goal that could just make Chelsea's end of the season. A Didier Drogba playing well, a Fernando Torres finding form and confidence and a Chelsea Team full of confidence and stringing together results- You could see how much it meant to Torres, Manager, Team-Mates and Fans.

There isn't alot of pressure on Chelsea, and all they can do is just a make a real effort of it- And now Torres has got the break-through goal, this title race might not be over yet.

Back