UEFA Champions League Challenge

1669147740284.png

FEBRUARY

Taca da Liga Final
final.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Singo (Gilberto), Silva, Fonseca (Gaspar), Grimaldo (Balde), Aursnes, Fernandez (Joao Mario), David Neres*, Vieira, Jones, Moukoko (Araujo)

We win the Allianz Cup with a fairly comfortable win over Braga. We scored 3 goals in 10min which blew Braga away and although they pulled a goal back late on it was never going to threaten us.

--

estoril.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Singo, Silva, Morato (Sanchez), Grimaldo, Aursnes, Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones*, Moukoko

A fine away victory. Enzo Fernandez got just his 3rd goal this season which is a shocking return from him - he needs to get double figures with his talent.

--

porto.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Singo, Silva, Morato, Grimaldo (Balde), Aursnes, Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (Joao Mario), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko (Araujo)

A pathetic performance. Somehow we scored 3 from 5 shots on target but defensively we were all over the place as Porto hit us for 5 to inflict our first domestic defeat of the season.

--

nacional.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Singo, Silva, Sanchez (Fonseca), Grimaldo*, Bernardo (Neves), Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (Joao Mario), Jones, Araujo

A convincing win but not the greatest of performances especially against 10 men.

--

clara.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Singo, Sanchez (Fonseca), Morato, Grimaldo (Balde), Aursnes (Neves), Fernandez, David Neres*, Vieira (Joao Mario), Jones, Araujo

Moukoko may be out injured but Araujo is scoring goals in his place. I was pleased to see Enzo Fernandez score - he needs to do that much more.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg
rbl.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Singo (Gilberto), Silva, Morato, Grimaldo, Aursnes, Joao Mario (Neves), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko (Araujo)

I am disappointed not to win this match with it being at home. We fell behind but quickly levelled through Bardghji who scored a fine goal after coming off the bench.

--

SUMMARY

We kicked off this month by winning the Taca da Liga by beating Braga and although we went on to win 3 league fixtures we were defeated by FC Porto 5-3 which was a shocking result. We should never be conceding 5 goals in a domestic fixture.

In the Champions League we drew 1-1 at home to RB Leipzig so we go into the 2nd leg as slight underdogs but I still think that we have the quality to get through.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
HENRIQUE ARAUJO
ARAUJO.png

--

LIGA BWIN
feb.png

1669195770640.png

MARCH

gv.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Singo, Silva, Morato (Sanchez) Balde, Aursnes (Neves), Joao Mario, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko (Araujo)

The word pathetic doesnt even go close to how bad a performance this was. To lose at home to this rabble of ***** is not on and to make things worse the scorer of their opener is on loan from us!!!! They also drew with us earlier on in the season.

--

Taca de Portugal Semi-Final 1st Leg
3-0.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Singo, Silva, Morato, Grimaldo (Balde), Aursnes, Fernandez, David Neres*, Vieira (Joao Mario), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko (Araujo)

Nacional came into this match having lost each of their last 10 fixtures but it didnt show here as once again we were poor but thankfully we scored 3 times in the last 9min to all but book our place in the final.

--

sporting.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Singo (Gilberto), Silva, Morato (Sanchez), Grimaldo, Aursnes, Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (Joao Mario), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko*

We drop more points in the league with another insipid performance. Moukoko's goal was a screamer though as he volleyed in first time from the edge of the area.

--

braga.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Singo, Silva, Morato (Sanchez), Grimaldo (Balde), Aursnes, Fernandez (Joao Mario), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones*, Moukoko

We get back to winning ways in the league with a relatively easy win over Braga.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
4-2.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Singo (Gilberto), Silva (Sanchez), Morato, Grimaldo, Bernardo (Joao Mario), Fernandez, David Neres, Vieira, Jones, Moukoko

I dont know how we managed to win this as Leipzig battered us however we were the ones who took our chances on the counter attack. They had chance after chance after chance but somehow found themselves 3-1 down after 53min and although they pulled a goal back we capped it off with a last minute goal.

--

boavista.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Gilberto, Silva (Sanchez), Morato, Grimaldo, Aursnes (Bernardo), Fernandez, David Neres, Vieira (Neves), Jones, Moukoko*

A fine victory that had 2 stupendous goals. Fernandez smashed one in from 30 yards while Moukoko's 2nd was a chip from 20 yards that clipped the bar on its way in.

--

SUMMARY

This month got off to the worst possible start as we lost at home to Gil Vicente and then dropped more points against Sporting Lisbon but we ended the month on fire as the goals began to rain in with the highlight being an incredible 4-2 victory away to RB Leipzig which sees us take a place in the Champions League quarter-finals.

We have been drawn against Real Madrid so I think our run in this years tournament will come to an end.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
DAVID NERES
neres.png

--

LIGA BWIN
MAR.png

1669205111183.png

APRIL

chaves.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Singo* (Gilberto), Silva (Sanchez), Morato, Grimaldo, Bernardo, Fernandez (Veloso), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko

We come from behind to get the points here. Moukoko and Vieira both got a brace.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg
real.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Gilberto, Silva, Morato (Sanchez), Balde, Aursnes (Bernardo), Fernandez (Veloso), David Neres, Vieira (Joao Mario), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko*

We get a draw but tbh Real should have won this match as they were by far the better side throughout.

--

pdf.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Gilberto (Fonseca), Silva (Sanchez), Morato, Balde (Bernardo), Aursnes, Joao Mario (Neves), David Neres (Conceicao), Vieira, Jones, Araujo*

We come from behind to win here. Henrique Araujo always seems to score when picked and his brace here takes him up to 15 for the season.

--

UEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg
madrid.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Gilberto, Sanchez (Gaspar), Morato (Fonseca), Grimaldo, Aursnes, Fernandez (Joao Mario), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones (Felix), Moukoko

Meh. Success here was always going to be unlikely and I am pleased that we ran them close - even with 10 men - but they were far, far better than us. Moukoko scored a worldie though.

--

vizela.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Gilberto, Silva, Morato, Grimaldo, Aursnes (Bernardo), Fernandez (Joao Mario), David Neres, Vieira, Jones, Moukoko*

This win secures us Champions League football for next season and the board have given me a £25m transfer budget for the campaign.

--

Taca de Portugal Semi-Final 2nd Leg
ndm.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Gilberto (Spencer), Fonseca (Gaspar), Sanchez*, Rodrigues, Bernardo, Neves, Bardghji (Conceicao), Joao Mario (Veloso), Talles Magno (Felix), Araujo

I put out my backups here and they got the job done.

--

casa.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Singo (Gilberto), Silva (Fonseca), Sanchez, Grimaldo, Aursnes, Fernandez, David Neres, Vieira, Jones, Moukoko (Araujo)

This result means we are just 1pt away from retaining the title.

--

SUMMARY

I was consigned to another season in Portugal this month as we lost out narrowly to Real Madrid in the Champions League. We really just have the cup final to deal with against FC Porto now and I will play my backups for the final couple of games of the season.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
YOUSSOUFA MOUKOKO
moukoko.png

--

LIGA BWIN
apr.png

1669213998089.png

MAY

ave.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Singo (Gilberto), Silva, Morato, Grimaldo, Aursnes (Neves), Fernandez*, David Neres, Vieira, Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko

CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

I will play my backups for the final 3 matches of the league season now.

--

farense.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Gilberto, Sanchez (Gaspar), Fonseca, Rodrigues, Bernardo (Gomes), Neves (Veloso), Bardghji (Conceicao), Joao Mario*, Talles Magno, Araujo

Very nice. Araujo scoring 2 more goals - the perfect backup striker!

--

famalicao.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Gilberto (Cruz), Sanchez, Fonseca (Gaspar), Balde, Bernardo*, Neves (Gomes), Bardghji (Conceicao), Joao Mario (Veloso), Felix, Araujo

I am disappointed that we didnt win but Araujo picked up yet another goal to move up to 20 goals for the season.

--

porti.png

Lineup - Vlachodimos, Gilberto (Cruz), Sanchez (Gaspar), Fonseca, Balde (Rodrigues), Bernardo (Felix), Veloso, Conceicao*, Joao Mario (Gomes), Talles Magno, Araujo

Not a bad way to end the season as we get a fairly comfortable win.

--

Taca de Portugal Final
2-0.png

Lineup
- Vlachodimos, Singo, Silva, Morato, Grimaldo, Aursnes (Bernardo), Fernandez (Veloso), David Neres (Conceicao), Vieira (Joao Mario), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko*

We wrap up the season by exacting revenge on Porto for our 5-3 defeat earlier in the season to win the cup. Moukoko scored both of our goals and he finishes the season with a staggering 47 goals.

--

SUMMARY

We saw out the end of the season unbeaten which I am pleased with as I fielded my backups for most of the month. The title was secured as expected but we still had a job to do in the cup final and we beat FC Porto 2-0.

I now have to strengthen my side further with new signings.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
HENRIQUE ARAUJO
ha.png

--

LIGA BWIN
table.png

1669222694147.png

SEASON REVIEW

Season number 2 is done and we have made decent progress. Once again we won everything domestically although we did lose to Gil Vicente and drew with them so I am gunning for them next season!!! 4 domestic trophies is not to be sniffed at!

In the Champions League we came through the group stage easily enough and then knocked out RB Leipzig but Real Madrid proved to be a bridge to far and although we ran them close their superior quality shone through and shows how far we have to go.

We are getting closer though! I truly believe that in 3 seasons time we will be good enough to win the Champions League as my top youngsters will have developed more plus I will have strengthened the squad in the transfer market.

--

SQUAD

squad.png
squad2.png

--

MY PLAYER AND YOUNG PLAYER OF THE SEASON
YOUSSOUFA MOUKOKO
ym.png

--

SUMMER PLANS

I have 4 first team players leaving in the summer so they will need to be replaced and I have 1 coming in already. Again if I can get 2 top notch players to walk straight into the side then I think we will have done well.​

1669231444234.png

PRE-SEASON

There were changes galore this summer - much more than I had planned and we are not done yet! Several of my top players have attracted offers including Fernandez, Balde, Singo, Jones and David Neres and they are just the players that I have kept so far!!!!

The new format for the Champions League comes into play so I have no idea if that will make it easier or harder to win than usual but at the end of the day you have to win games and that is what we will try to do.

Here are the transfers out..........

--

PLAYERS OUT

I had already agreed to sell Joao Mario to Brighton (£11.5m), Fredrik Aursnes to AS Monaco (£16.75m), Vlachimodos to Wolves (£7.75m) and Gilberto to Flamengo for £6m.

There were more departures though. Cher Ndour returned from his loan spell and was sold to Bayer Leverkusen for £15m while I let Paulo Bernardo join Hamburg for £5.75m.

The biggest sale however was that of Morato though. He had been unhappy for ages so I finally let him go to join Inter Milan for £30m.

--

PLAYERS IN

My first signing was the replacement for Vlachodimos and the man I chose has equally a long name in Giorgi Mamardashvili from Valencia. I paid £12.5m on the 23y/o and I think he is an upgrade on Vlachodimos.
keeper.png

I then had to replace Morato and ended up plumping for Gianluca Mancini from Real Madrid. The 28y/o Italian international should be an excellent partner for Silva at the back and adds some more experience. I paid £24m for him.
mancini.png

Next up is the possible game changer and club record signing at no less than £65m!!!! It had to be a special player for me to pay that amount and it surely was - Ruben Neves from Wolves. He is a world class midfield player coming into his prime and should walk the Portuguese league but as you know it is the Champions League that I am prioritising and he is a huge upgrade.
neves.png

Finally I needed a new backup RB and got one from RB Leipzig as I gave them £13m for Ze Carlos. He impressed me when we came up against him last season and he can also play in midfield.
ze carlos.png

--

SUMMARY

I am not finished yet! I still have around £20m to spend and ideally I would like to bring in an AMC. Another MC would be handy but I have young talents waiting in the wings so I will see what will happen. Also if I get a bid that is too good to refuse that might change everything!!!!!​

1669232310122.png

AUGUST

Supertaca
final.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos (Cruz), Silva (Gaspar), Mancini (Sanchez), Grimaldo, R.Neves (Gomes), Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Felix*, Jones, Moukoko (Monteiro)

Introducing Jair Monteiro!!! My 17y/o striker came off the bench to make his debut here and he won us the trophy with 2 well taken goals. I was missing several players due to international duty (mainly backups) but Monteiro and Felix got a chance and excelled.

--

CLARA.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo, R.Neves*, Fernandez (Kroos), David Neres, J.Neves (Bardghji), Jones, Moukoko

We get our league campaign off to a bright start with this 4-1 win. Toni Kroos came off the bench to make his debut.

--

boavista.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva (Sanchez), Mancini, Grimaldo, R.Neves, Fernandez (Ouedraogo), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones*, Moukoko (Araujo)

Boavista actually provided to be tough nuts to crack but we got the win. Nice to see that Araujo can be relied on as my supersub again - I did have offers for him in the summer but there was no way I was going to let him go. Ouedraogo made his debut here.

--

ea.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves, Kroos (Ouedraogo), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones*, Moukoko

Ruben Neves has certainly hit the ground running as he now has 3 goals in 3 league games. Mancini also picked up his first goal for the club.

--

SUMMARY

I certainly cant complain about the start of the season that we have had as we have won all games fairly comfortably including a Supertaca win over FC Porto. The win over Porto was particularly pleasing as 2 of my youngsters, Hugo Felix and Jair Monteiro made a great impact.

The other big news was transfers as I brought in 2 German players. Firstly Toni Kroos was available on a free transfer so I snapped him up to act as cover and then I paid Schalke £16m for Assan Ouedraogo. I think Ouedraogo has the potential to be a world class player and will be huge for us.
kroos.png
oud.png

I received more offers for Singo, Fernandez and Araujo. I actually accepted a £58m bid for Singo but I was only going to get £29m added onto my transfer budget so I cancelled that as I couldnt replace him for that.

As for the Champions League this new fangled tournament set up is in place and I have been given these English heavy fixtures.....
UCL.png

If we can win 4 games and maybe sneak a draw or too I think we have a decent chance of going through. I think we just need to finish above the bottom 12.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
CURTIS JONES
jones.png

--

LIGA BWIN
AUG.png

1669241364039.png

SEPTEMBER

vg.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo*, Silva (Sanchez), Mancini (Fonseca), Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves, Fernandez (Ouedraogo), David Neres, Vieira, Jones, Moukoko

I am beginning to think that we will be unbeaten in the league this season. Neves scored yet again - this time with a first time effort from 30 yards.

--

UEFA Champions League
man utd.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Balde, R.Neves (Kroos), Fernandez (Ouedraogo), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones, Moukoko (Araujo)

Man Utd are the holders and wiped the floor with us here. We still have a long way to go to be at their level it seems which is a blow as I thought that we have moved up a level.

--

estoril.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Balde, R.Neves, Fernandez (J.Neves), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones (Ouedraogo), Moukoko*

When they took the lead early on I was worried about a hangover from the Man Utd game but I neednt have worried as won thanks to a brace from Moukoko and a first goal for the club for Ouedraogo.

--

vilaf.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Balde, R.Neves*, Fernandez (J.Neves), David Neres, Vieira (Ouedraogo), Jones, Moukoko

An amazing win but I am infuriated by the fact that we conceded twice late on including once when they were down to 10 men. Fabio Vieira got injured and will be out for 2 months.

-

SUMMARY

Goals aplenty this month as we thrashed everyone domestically including a 7-2 win over Vilafranquense. Ruben Neves almost has a goal a game which is quite something considering he is playing as a deep lying playmaker. Alas our opening Champions League game was a disaster as we were well beaten by Man Utd.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RUBEN NEVES
neves.png

--

LIGA BWIN
SEP.png

1669245655461.png

OCTOBER

UEFA Champions League Group Stage
chelsea.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva (Sanchez), Mancini, Balde (Grimaldo), R.Neves, Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Ouedraogo, Jones, Moukoko (Araujo)

A decent point. Ruben Neves scored a wonder goal from 30 yards here while Ouedraogo continues to impress.

--

farense.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo, R.Neves*, Fernandez (J.Neves), David Neres (Bardghji), Ouedraogo, Jones, Moukoko

Back to back hat-tricks in the league for Ruben Neves!!! He is outscoring Moukoko which is just insane.

--

Taca de Portugal 3rd Round
tirsense.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos (Cruz), Sanchez, Fonseca, Balde, Kroos, J.Neves, Bardghji (Conceicao), Ouedraogo (Felix), Talles Magno, Araujo*

A double hat-trick for Henrique Araujo!!!! What a performance from my backup striker.

--

mgb.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Sanchez (Fonseca), Grimaldo, R.Neves (Kroos), Fernandez (J.Neves), David Neres, Ouedraogo, Jones*, Moukoko

We blew our opponents away in the first half here as we went into the break 4-0 up. This is our first win in the new look Champions League.

--

casa.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva, Sanchez, Grimaldo, R.Neves*, Fernandez, David Neres, Ouedraogo (J.Neves), Jones, Moukoko (Araujo)

No hat-trick today for Ruben Neves but he came close as he hit the crossbar with a free-kick in the last minute.

--

Taca da Liga Group A
viseu.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Sanchez, Fonseca, Balde, Kroos (Gomes), J.Neves (Felix), Bardghji, Ouedraogo, Talles Magno, Araujo*

We took our time to get going here but ended up with 6 goals so I cant complain.

--

SUMMARY

We nearly averaged 5 goals a game this month such was our presence. Ruben Neves continues to run the show, Ouedraogo has come into the side in place of the injured Vieira and scored regularly while Henrique Araujo scored 6 in one game!!!!

Next month is huge as we have 2 Champions League games plus fixtures against FC Porto and my bogey team from last season - Gil Vicente.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
HENRIQUE ARAUJO
araujo.png

--

LIGA BWIN
oct.png

1669300043074.png

NOVEMBER

shakhtar.png

Lineup
- Soares, Singo, Silva, Mancini (Sanchez), Grimaldo, R.Neves, Fernandez (Felix), David Neres (Conceicao), J.Neves, Jones, Moukoko*

A huge victory. Thats 13 goals in our last 2 away Champions League matches! Moukoko got 5 which isnt the most in a game this season which is just bonkers.

--

GV.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva, Mancini (Sanchez), Grimaldo, R.Neves (Kroos), Fernandez, David Neres, J.Neves (Bardghji), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko

I ******* HATE GIL VICENTE!!!!!!!!

--

Taca de Portugal 4th Round
5-2.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves, Fernandez, David Neres, Ouedraogo, Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko (Araujo*)

Estoril are riding high in the league but we burst there bubble here as we send them crashing out of the cup.

--

man city.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva (Sanchez), Mancini (Fonseca), Grimaldo, Kroos, Fernandez (J.Neves), David Neres, Ouedraogo, Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko (Araujo)

For an hour we were terrible and the scoreline could have been much worse but I made all 5 subs and that tilted the game in our favour but alas we came up just short.

--

porto.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), Kroos, Fernandez (J.Neves), David Neres, Ouedraogo (Vieira), Jones*, Moukoko (Araujo)

Its always nice to beat our rivals. Fabio Vieira finally returned from injury here.

--

SUMMARY

This month had its highs and lows. From thumping Shakhtar Donetsk 8-0 and FC Porto 4-2 away to losing to Man City and dropping points against Gil Vicente yet again. What is blindingly obvious is that defensively we are shocking as we seem to concede 2 goals a game. Sure we are scoring tons but we need to do better in front of our own goal.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
DAVID NERES
NERES.png

--

LIGA BWIN
NOV.png

1669306162186.png

DECEMBER

sporting.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva (Sanchez), Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves*, Fernandez (Kroos), David Neres, Ouedraogo (Vieira), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko

2 free-kicks scored by Ruben Neves proved to be the difference here.

--

arsenal.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva (Sanchez), Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves (Kroos), Fernandez, David Neres (Vieira), Ouedraogo, Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko

Our leaky defence proved to be our undoing once again as we let Arsenal race into a 3 goal lead. We ended the game with 10 men when Ouedraogo went off injured. We are currently in 21st place with 2 games to play.

--

Taca da Liga Group A
vg.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo*, Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo, R.Neves (Kroos), Fernandez (Ze Carlos), David Neres, J.Neves (Sanchez), Jones, Moukoko

A rare clean sheet and with 10 men too!!!! David Neres joins Ruben Neves, Araujo and Moukoko to score a hat-trick for us this season.

--

Taca de Portugal 5th Round
porti.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva (Fonseca), Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves (J.Neves), Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira*, Jones, Moukoko (Araujo)

--

braga.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Sanchez, Grimaldo, R.Neves*, Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (Ouedraogo), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko

5 goals away from home is good but once again our defense was shocking.

--

SUMMARY

On the whole this was a good month. Sure we lost to Arsenal in the Champions League but if we win our final 2 fixtures we should easily be in the knockout stages. Domestically we progressed in the cups and won our league fixtures including a huge win over Sporting Lisbon.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RUBEN NEVES
NEVES.png

--

LIGA BWIN
DEC.png

1669312171179.png

JANUARY

portim.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo, R.Neves, Fernandez, David Neres, Vieira (Ouedraogo), Jones*, Moukoko (Araujo)

For the 2nd time in a month we put 5 past Portimonense.

--

viseu.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva (Gaspar), Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), J.Neves (Ouedraogo), Fernandez, David Neres*(Conceicao), Vieira, Jones, Araujo (Talles Magno)

I was missing a few players here so I am delighted that we came from behind to win so convincingly.

--

Taca de Portugal Quarter-Final
chaves.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva (Gaspar), Mancini, Grimaldo, Ouedraogo, Fernandez (Felix), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones, Moukoko*

Moukoko scored nearly 50 goals last term but wont get near that amount this season but if he keeps scoring 4 a game he will!

--

famalicao.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva, Mancini (Sanchez), Grimaldo (Balde), Ouedraogo*, Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (Felix), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko

The goals dried up a bit here but Enzo Fernandez scored for the 4th league game running and missed a penalty.

--

bodo.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva (Fonseca), Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), Ouedraogo, Jones (Felix), David Neres, Vieira, Talles Magno, Moukoko*

Another hat-trick for the main man Moukoko - he has 11 goals in the competition so far.

--

2-0.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo, Ouedraogo (Felix), J.Neves, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones*, Moukoko

--

monaco.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo*, Ouedraogo (J.Neves), Fernandez, David Neres, Vieira, Talles Magno (Balde), Moukoko (Araujo)

This win secures our place in the knockout play-off round. PSG finished 24th so just sneaked in.

table.png

--

SUMMARY

We won all of our matches this month which was nice and there was some transfer news!!!!

Departing was Toni Kroos on loan to Hamburg and Davinson Sanchez to Atletico Madrid for £15m. So on deadline day I moved to replace them.

In midfield I paid RB Leipzig £25m to bring in Ilaix Moriba. He could turn into a world class player and at just 22y/o he has improvements in him hopefully.
MORIBA.png

Then I gave Sevilla £10m for Tanguy Nianzou. Same as above really.
NIANZOU.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
YOUSSOUFA MOUKOKO
moukoko.png

--

LIGA BWIN
JAN.png

1669326715650.png

FEBRUARY

SANTA.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo, Ouedraogo*, Fernandez (Ilaix Moriba), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (J.Neves), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko (Araujo)

Antonio Silva hadnt scored all season and then he smashed one in from 30 yards to give us our opener. Ilaix Moriba came off the bench to get a debut goal.

--

Taca da Liga Semi-Final
sporting.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva (Nianzou), Mancini (Fonseca), Grimaldo, J.Neves (Ilaix Moriba), Fernandez*, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (Ouedraogo), Jones, Moukoko

A fine victory and we will play FC Porto in the final. In this competition you have to play 2 U21 Portuguese players hence why Joao Neves came in for the in form Ouedraogo.

--

porto.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva (Nianzou), Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), Ouedraogo, Fernandez (Ilaix Moriba), Bardghji (R.Neves), Vieira*, Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko

You may as well hand us the title now lol. Several of my players were tired but at least Ruben Neves returned from injury. Ouedraogo continues to impress.

--

UEFA Champions League Play-off 1st Leg
celtic.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), Ouedraogo, Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (Ilaix Moriba), Jones, Moukoko (Araujo)

I am disappointed not to win here but we should have enough to get the job done at home. Singo finally returned from international duty here.

--

boavista.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Fonseca, Mancini (Gaspar), Grimaldo, Ouedraogo, Ilaix Moriba (J.Neves), David Neres (Conceicao), Vieira*, Jones, Moukoko

--

UEFA Champions League Play-off 2nd Leg
2-0.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Fonseca, Mancini (Nianzou), Grimaldo, Ouedraogo, Fernandez (R.Neves), David Neres, Vieira (Ilaix Moriba), Jones*, Moukoko (Monteiro)

We keep ourselves in the competition with victory here and there was another goal for Ouedraogo!

--

estrela.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo*, Silva, Mancini, Montoia, R.Neves, Ouedraogo, David Neres, Vieira (Ilaix Moriba), Jones, Moukoko (Monteiro)

We struggled to win here. Montoia is my 3rd choice left back and made his debut while Monteiro came off the bench to score - he gets his chance because Araujo is out for a couple of months.

--

vg.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos, Silva, Nianzou (Fonseca), Montoia, R.Neves, Fernandez (Ilaix Moriba), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (Ouedraogo), Talles Magno, Moukoko (Monteiro)

An absolutely shameful performance. Pathetic. I was going for an unbeaten league season but that is out the window now.

--

SUMMARY

I end the month in a furious mood as we were humiliated at home to Vitoria Guimaraes. Typing this up 2min after the result. ******* useless arseholes. That result pretty much ruins what was looking to be a good month.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ASSAN OUEDRAOGO
ASSAN.png

--

LIGA BWIN
feb.png

1669381005908.png

MARCH

estoril.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Cruz (Tome), Fonseca, Nianzou (Gaspar), Grimaldo*, Ouedraogo, Ilaix Moriba (J.Neves), Bardghji, Vieira (Gomes), Talles Magno, Moukoko (Monteiro)

I took the risk after our horrific last match to rest some senior players here for our next match and it paid off with Andre Gomes scoring his first goal for the club and Joao Tome making his debut.

--

UEFA Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg
city.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva, Mancini (Fonseca), Grimaldo (Montoia), Ouedraogo, Fernandez, David Neres*, Vieira (Ilaix Moriba), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko

It is hard to judge this. To come away without a defeat is good but we were 3-0 up and 4-2 up at half-time so we have left ourselves a difficult task to get through. Elsewhere FC Porto beat Liverpool 3-1!

--

vilaf.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Ze Carlos (Tome), Nianzou, Fonseca, Balde (Montoia), Ouedraogo, Ilaix Moriba (Gomes), Bardghji, J.Neves, Talles Magno (Felix), Moukoko (Monteiro*)

I rested my players again here and while we won we left it late as we missed so many chances.

--

UEFA Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg
0-1.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva (Fonseca), Nianzou, Grimaldo, Ouedraogo (Ilaix Moriba), Fernandez, David Neres, Vieira (J.Neves), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko (Monteiro)

Aaagggghhhh. So close. They dominated throughout but they couldnt kill us off. Another year in Portugal it is then!!!!

--

farense.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva*, Mancini, Grimaldo, Ouedraogo, Fernandez, David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira (Ilaix Moriba), Jones, Moukoko (Monteiro)

Back to domestic duties and a straightforward win. Monteiro has come off the bench to score in each of our last 3 league games.

--

Taca de Portugal Semi-Final 1st Leg
sf1.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Mancini (Nianzou), Grimaldo, Ilaix Moriba, Fernandez (J.Neves), David Neres*, Vieira (Felix), Jones, Moukoko (Monteiro)

We gain a bit of revenge after our shock defeat to them a month ago. However our proper revenge match is up next..............

--

gv.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva, Mancini (Nianzou), Grimaldo (Balde), Ilaix Moriba (R.Neves), Ouedraogo, David Neres, Vieira, Jones*, Moukoko (Monteiro)

Revenge is sweet!!!!

Gil Vicente sacked Andreas Villas-Boas so were managerless but when they came from behind to lead it looked like our bogey team would strike again but no!!! I am disappointed not to add to our scoreline having scored 5 after 34min.

--

SUMMARY

This month saw us get eliminated in the Champions League which was unexpected although seeing FC Porto get through against Liverpool was a bit sickening especially since if we beat Man City we would have been drawn against them!!!!!

Other than that we won all of our games including putting 5 past our bogey team Gil Vicente as we haveopened up a 15pt lead at the top of the table.

The youth intake was average but we did get a pretty decent keeper.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
DAVID NERES
neres.png

--

LIGA BWIN
MARCH.png

The website was down yesterday (2nd time in as many weeks that I have been on - whats going on? Its ****** annoying.) so I continued playing anyway. I won the League, League Cup and Portuguese Cup by the end of the season.

Didn't realise the new Champions League structure was in the game, how did you find it? Seems a really weird format but it's obviously all about the £££ for UEFA and the big clubs

1669553075692.png

AUGUST / PRE-SEASON

Supertaca
supertaca.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva, Nianzou, Balde, Ouedraogo, Fernandez (Ilaix Moriba), David Neres* (Bardghji), Vieira (J.Neves), Jones (Talles Magno), Moukoko (Endrick)

We win the Supertaca in a tight, nervy match. We fell behind early on but levelled when Endrick came off the bench to get a debut goal and then in the final minute of extra time we were awarded a penalty which Talles Magno converted to win us the cup.

--

estoril.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde*), R.Neves (Ouedraogo), Fernandez, David Neres, Vieira (Ilaix Moriba), Jones, Moukoko (Endrick)

A decent way to kick off the league campaign and Endrick came off the bench again to grab a goal.

--

viseu.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva, Mancini (Badiashile), Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves, Fernandez (Ouedraogo), David Neres (Bardghji), Vieira, Jones*, Moukoko (Endrick)

A boring win with the only notable thing being the debut of Benoit Badiashile.

--

sporting.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo (Ze Carlos), Silva (Badiashile), Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves, Ouedraogo (J.Neves), David Neres, Vieira, Jones, Moukoko*

Our 2nd win against Sporting this month with Moukoko getting his first hat-trick of the season.

--

portimonense.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva (Badiashile), Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves, Fernandez (Ze Carlos), David Neres, Vieira, Jones (Ouedraogo), Moukoko (Endrick)

We drop our first points of the season early on here. We were 2-0 down and then 3-2 down with just 4min to go so I am pleased that we rescued a point but we really should have won this match.

--

SUMMARY

Until we drew with Portimonense this was looking like it was going to be a perfect month. We defeated Sporting Lisbon to win the Supertaca and also put 4 past them in the league so I was delighted with that.

As for the Champions League fixtures they arent too bad at all really and we are even going to play Austria Vienna my feeder club who I have loaned Jair Monteiro, Joao Veloso and Hugo Felix too!
ucl.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RUBEN NEVES
neves.png

--

LIGA BWIN
AUG.png

--

1669577133329.png

SUMMER NEWS

Just a quick run through. The Italian champions Juventus came in for me and while I was tempted I wasnt going to ditch Benfica and my boys as I have built up such a top young side it would be foolish for me to leave now.

Regarding transfers there wasnt many. I was forced to sell Joao Fonseca to Valencia for £8m as he was wanting to leave and his contract was up at the end of the season. Also I sold backup striker Henrique Araujo to Rennes for £17.5m. In 73 games, mostly as a sub, he scored 52 goals for me so I wish him well. Toni Kroos went to AC Milan for £1.5m.

Incoming were 3 players for the first team squad. FC Porto forced my hand by going in for Endrick and I got the Brazilian wonderkid for £20m. This deal forced me to sell Henrique Araujo alas. I brought in 2 defenders for the first team squad. Benoit Badiashile joined from AS Monaco for £32.5m while teenage centre back David Odogu joined from Wolfsburg for £5m. The other signings were young prospects.​

Didn't realise the new Champions League structure was in the game, how did you find it? Seems a really weird format but it's obviously all about the £££ for UEFA and the big clubs

It is strange - especially having fixtures after Christmas. I have no idea how they arrange the fixtures. Say I have my 8 fixtures and one of my opponents are Ajax. They wont have the same fixtures that I have and play different teams although some are the same. I also think it makes it more difficult for the lesser sides to get to the final like FC Porto and AS Monaco did back in the day.

1669580057278.png

SEPTEMBER

boavista.png

Lineup
- Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva, Badiashile (Mancini), Grimaldo, R.Neves, Fernandez (Ouedraogo), David Neres, Vieira, Jones*, Moukoko (Endrick)

This was the Curtis Jones show as my left winger helped himself to 4 goals!!!! Mamardashvili also saved a penalty in the 2nd half.

--

MONACO.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva, Mancini, Grimaldo (Balde), R.Neves, Fernandez, David Neres (Conceicao), Vieira (Ilaix Moriba), Jones*, Moukoko (Talles Magno)

Not a classic display but we did enough. Ruben Neves missed a first half penalty just before we scored. Austria Vienna won 4-1 with my very own Jair Monteiro scoring a hat-trick and Hugo Felix getting the other!!!

--

braga.png

Lineup - Mamardashvili, Singo, Silva, Mancini (Nianzou), Grimaldo, R.Neves (Ilaix Moriba), Fernandez, David Neres, Vieira (Ouedraogo), Jones*, Moukoko

Curtis Jones is on fire!!!!!!

--

SUMMARY

We just had the 3 games this month for some reason but we won all 3 and kept clean sheets in all of them!!! I have been playing with the highest possible defensive line in previous seasons so I have dropped them back a bit this term to stem the flow of goals conceding and this month shows that it is working.

I have to mention Curtis Jones though as he was MOM in all 3 matches, scored 6 goals including 4 in one game and got an assist!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
CURTIS JONES
jones.png

--

LIGA BWIN
sep.png

Interesting team to start with!! Might take you a couple more years to win, especially with the structure of the UCL. Love the signings youve made though!