UEFA Europa League first round draw.

thankfully we have a player at sporting that knows the rangers side pretty well, so my money is on Sporting CP to win. If i get the G's, i might go to scotland see the game, since my exams are probably over by february.

Save your money for next seasons Europa league, you'll only be disapointed watching your team go down to the mighty Rangers |)

It could have been a bit easier, despite that, I'm confident that we will go through 'till the Final :)

Save your money for next seasons Europa league, you'll only be disapointed watching your team go down to the mighty Rangers |)

ROFL!!! last time sporting played there we drew 0-0 (not a bad result)
over here in lisbon, we lost 2-0 in a laughable game by rangers. they defended the whole game, and then snuck out to attack 2 times and scored.

"Mighty Rangers"? lol!! the SPL is even worse than the Portuguese League, and Sporting are fully capable of beating rangers with relative ease, if the manager uses his brain.

Celtic 4life!

ROFL!!! last time sporting played there we drew 0-0 (not a bad result)
over here in lisbon, we lost 2-0 in a laughable game by rangers. they defended the whole game, and then snuck out to attack 2 times and scored.

"Mighty Rangers"? lol!! the SPL is even worse than the Portuguese League, and Sporting are fully capable of beating rangers with relative ease, if the manager uses his brain.

Celtic 4life!
That's how rangers play in Europe and, to their defence, it works well.

Nothing wrong with counter attack football... it works, you should know after our last encounter (H)

football is ALL about results,

That's how rangers play in Europe and, to their defence, it works well.

We call that styple of playing "Parking the Bus" here in portugal, because the team simply parks the "bus" in front of goal, and sneaks out on the counter.

******* disgusting.

thats why i still prefer rugby over football, since in rugby, youn simply can't win with a defensive scheme. too bad sporting doesnt have a rugby team.

Nothing wrong with counter attack football... it works, you should know after our last encounter (H)

football is ALL about results,

of course it is wrong.

football philisophy is attacking. the rules should benefit the team that takes risks, that puts up a show on the pitch. not the teams that lay back the whole match, and then sneak out to score.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Better off defending and winning than attacking and losing.

I prefer losing with a clean conscience, knowing that no underhanded tactics were used. But hey, thats just me!

We call that styple of playing "Parking the Bus" here in portugal, because the team simply parks the "bus" in front of goal, and sneaks out on the counter.

******* disgusting.

thats why i still prefer rugby over football, since in rugby, youn simply can't win with a defensive scheme. too bad sporting doesnt have a rugby team.
Everyone calls it that. But it's worked, look at Mourinho when he managed Inter, he Parked the Bus in the Champions League, he won it. It's not underhanded, it's just the mentality of the manager, he wants to protect his teams chances in the cup, so he'll use that strategy.

of course it is wrong.

football philisophy is attacking. the rules should benefit the team that takes risks, that puts up a show on the pitch. not the teams that lay back the whole match, and then sneak out to score.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

I prefer losing with a clean conscience, knowing that no underhanded tactics were used. But hey, thats just me!

That's why Lisbon have NO change of winning there domestic League...haha

Everyone calls it that. But it's worked, look at Mourinho when he managed Inter, he Parked the Bus in the Champions League, he won it. It's not underhanded, it's just the mentality of the manager, he wants to protect his teams chances in the cup, so he'll use that strategy.

I hate mourinho since day 1. when he managed leiria, porto, everything. That style of playing is not coherent with football spirit. at least the spirit that football should have.

That's why Lisbon have NO change of winning there domestic League...haha

this season is pretty hard to win for sporting, yeh. but if we look back a couple of years, we didnt win simply because of:

2006/07 : lost 0-1 at home, and the goal was scored with a hand. that 0-0 result would make sporting champions.

2004/05 : lost 0-1 with benfica with another goal that should have been null, since the scorer(luisão) clearly impeded Ricardo(keeper) to get to the ball in the 6yd box=foul.

in the 2004/2005 UEFA Cup Final, when the scoreline was 1-0 for sporting, the play that gave CSKA the first goal came from a goal kick that should have been a corner.

******* refs. platini is an ******* not to introduce video ref.

Happy with our draw think we should win that but on recent form it should be an open game

Good to see that a fellow portuguese is defending his club. But lets see...

First point: Just because you lost one game with a handball that doesn't mean you'd be champions, there would be alot of other factors in mind, both on and off the field, so the Math is not really that simple ; )

Second point: Your interpretation of that goal is the one that all sporting supporters say, but when it comes to referees that's not really the case, so that's a bit of poor argument really, you don't have a solid base to support it.

Third point: You lost.. 3-1 in that final didn't you? AND Playing at HOME! So the result was sporting's fault, they were complacent. Not the refs.

this season is pretty hard to win for sporting, yeh. but if we look back a couple of years, we didnt win simply because of:

2006/07 : lost 0-1 at home, and the goal was scored with a hand. that 0-0 result would make sporting champions.

2004/05 : lost 0-1 with benfica with another goal that should have been null, since the scorer(luisão) clearly impeded Ricardo(keeper) to get to the ball in the 6yd box=foul.

in the 2004/2005 UEFA Cup Final, when the scoreline was 1-0 for sporting, the play that gave CSKA the first goal came from a goal kick that should have been a corner.

******* refs. platini is an ******* not to introduce it.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Now for the portuguese teams' draw :

Benfica - Stuggart - Benfica has to win this, no excuses, we are superior, but we need to work play motivated.
Porto-Sevilha - well, tight, but my money is on Porto, Sevilha could surprise, but I'm not very certain
Braga -Lech --> We've seen that Lech has been playing very well, but if braga plays their top level, Lech are history
Sporting - Rangers --> Probably the most uncertain match, it will depend much on what Sporting do at home, as I think they'll probably lose in Ibrox, I still think that Sporting are slightly superior, but they are a irregular team, while Rangers has more consistency.

Good to see that a fellow portuguese is defending his club. But lets see...

First point: Just because you lost one game with a handball that doesn't mean you'd be champions, there would be alot of other factors in mind, both on and off the field, so the Math is not really that simple ; )

Second point: Your interpretation of that goal is the one that all sporting supporters say, but when it comes to referees that's not really the case, so that's a bit of poor argument really, you don't have a solid base to support it.

Third point: You lost.. 3-1 in that final didn't you? AND Playing at HOME! So the result was sporting's fault, they were complacent. Not the refs.

Well, most referees, as most people, in portugal, support benfica.
In the UEFA final, i stand by what i said. that should have been a corner, not a goal kick, and it would make a world of diference.
the hand ball would give sporting 1 more point in the table, that would reach the same points as Porto, and given that sporting had direct advantage to porto due to winning the 2 games against them, we win the championship.
concerning luisao's goal, well, in the book it says that the keeper cant be touched by the opposition players, and should he be touched in the 6 yd box, it is a foul, its common knowledge.

i think sporting has a pretty decent chance to win this round, if we make a few good signings.

So Arsenal draw Barcelona and we get Sparta Prague, how ******* depressing. Man I hate this so much.

We(Beşiktaş) should be able to get past Dinamo Kiev, hpwever then we will play against either Man City or Aris, which would be a hard opposition. If we can get past City we are definatly the favourites, but not yet.