Reaction score
Hey Guys

I've decided to start a different story as losing abit of interest to my rangers save although I will keep the save just incase I want to go back to it. I hope you will follow this one aswell, This is the 1st unemployed story I've done so if u feel it needs improving or if I could do anything different don't be afraid to mention any ideas or comments you wish to add.

Thanks

As I sit here at home fresh from completing my coaching badges having my cup of tea and relaxing with my feet up, I go in search for a new managerial job. As i go on to the FA's website I see that you have Hereford without a manager along with Kettering, Droylsden and Darlington all with caretaker managers, I take into consideration what would be better would I want to go straight into management at L2 level or would I want to start lower down. But me being as stubbon as I am i decided to take the risk and send my CV of to all the clubs available or with managers under review just to let them know that i was a young new manager ready to take a challenge and that i was able to start straight away if i was needed to.

View attachment 236988

As I click the send button on my hotmail account all I do now is play the waiting game and hope that 1 of the clubs respond even if it's to say sorry your to inexperienced I dont mind. So I decided to play some games on the computer till I feel like I'm ready to go to bed as it's highly unlikely that i will hear anything back tonight.

As I wake up on the 7th July 2011 I make myself a morning tea and abit of breakfast and then go to check my E-Mails.

View attachment 236989
As I see I have mail I click my inbox to see what it is and it's from the Hereford chairman. I start jumping up and down thinking it's gonna say we have reviewed your CV we woud like you togive us a call to arrange an interview. As I click to open the E-Mail to my disappointment it says sorry you have been unsuccessful but thanks for your interest we have decided to go with Kevin Dillon but we wish you luck in the future and hope you can find a job soon.

As I sit and read it over and over I felt as if I was maybe punching above my weight looking at going straight into management at L2 level. So I just hope that 1 of the other 3 clubs would consider me and maybe invite me in for ant interview. So the wait continues.

Over a month has passed and still no sign of any jobs as of yet. As I log back onto the FA's website again it shows the Darlington and Kettering jobs are still under review. I guess that the Droyslden Caretaker manager done a good enough job to be offered the job. But the Droyslden Chairman will not be hearing from me again as I had no reply saying that they had received my CV and that they wasn't interested.

I hope I hear something soon as I'm falling behind on my bills and being threatened to have my mobile phone cut off and apart from my e-mails the mobile is my only other form of communtication.

So who will get back to me?
View attachment 236990View attachment 236991

Will it be Kettering, Darlington or neither of them and have to wait till later in the season?

Yet another month has passed so I'm going to give up on chasing the Darlington and Kettering jobs. I'm starting to think that maybe I should just declare my interest in jobs till I get offered 1. Although there are rumours going around that the Hartlepool Manager Neale Cooper , Bournemouth Manager Lee Bradbury, Preston manager Graham Westley and Crewe Manager Steve Davis are all treading on thin ice. So I've sent my CV's of the the chairmen of the clubs hoping that i will get a response soon. Or I will have to go to the job centre to start getting my Job seekers which is something I really don't want to do.

2 Hours Later

Just as I flick over on to Sky Sports News I see the Following headline:

Darlington Have Appointed caretaker manager Craig Liddle As Full time manager.

Well the headline says it all. Not even an e-mail from the chairman again. It would have been nice to have been told before finding out on the news. Wonder if any other Applicants got told before letting the news channels know.

5 Hours Later

Breaking News: Luton Sack Manager Gary Brabin.

As soon as I heard this news I shot of to the PC and sent my CV of to the Chairman Nick Owen.

Is Luton the club for me to kick start my Career?

Sunday 2nd October 2011

E-mail from Nick Owen.

Dear Mr Colgrave,

I would like to thank you for your interest in the current managerial postion her at Luton Town FC.

However I'm writing to inform you that you were unsucessful this time, You were agmonst the top 3 canidates for the job but we thought you were just to inexperienced for the role as we are looking for someone to lead us back to the football league.

We wish you all the luck for the future.

Yours sincerily

Nick Owen
Luton Town Chairman

At Least I had an e-mail explaining the reason why i didn't get the job but it was nice to know i was considered for the Managers job

If you have no reputation you will struggle to even get a conference job, you need to look in italy C2/b that kind of level to start.
Hope that helps

Sunday 4th December 2011

Breaking News: Havant & Waterlooville Sack Manager Shaun Gale.

Reports are coming in from Westleigh Park that Shaun Gale has been sacked following a poor run of results. Rumours are they are after any young managers who feel they can make an instant impact and push for the play offs.

That sounds perfect to me so i dash to my pc and switch it on and send my CV to Havant's Chairman.

Friday 9th December

This morning I woke up and was getting ready to go and get my job seekers from the job centre but as I was walking out the door my phone rang.

Me: Hello

Derek Pope: Hello is that Mr Colgrave

Me: Yes it is

Derek: I've had a look at your CV and I would like to invite you to come to us for an interview later this afternoon is that ok?

Me: Yes that is fine thank you so much will see you this afternoon.

Derek: Yes is 1430 ok for you?

Me: Yes thats fine i will speak to you this afternoon.

As I sit in the reception of Havant&W FC my nerves set in and wonder am I doing the right thing not knowing who the other canitdates are for the job.

Derek: Mr Colgrave Thanks for coming.

Me: Thanks for taking the time to see me and give me this oppurtunity.

Derek: Why do you think you should be the New manager of my club.

Me: I feel I have alot to offer as being a young person and hope that i can bring a new style of football to your club.

Derek: What are you hoping to get out of this?

Me: I'm hoping to learn and gain experience and hope to achive certain expections of the board and prove that I have a great future ahead of me.

Derek: Ok Thanks for coming we will let you know as soon as possible of our decision.

As I sit down to have my tea my phone rings again.

Me: Hello

Derek: Hello Darren I'm phoning to offer you the postion of manager.

Me: Yes I Accept thank you so much for choosing me I won't let you down.

Derek: Great we will make a annoucnement in the morning once you've arrived and signed your contract.

Niiiiiice. Good Luck mate. I know Sammy Igoe, who plays there.

Saturday 10th December

HAVANT&W APPOINT COLGRAVE AS MANAGER

Today Havant&W have announced their new manager as Darren Colgrave. We Appointed Darren as he had the same ambitions as we had for the club. He has signed a 2 year contract with us and hope that in his time at the club we will be on our way to L2 and start cementing our name in the world of football said Derek Pope.

I'm Delighted to have been given the chance to Havant as far as i can and I will di my best to keep the fans and players happy and give them what they want. Said Darren Colgrave

Havant&W 1-4 Basingstoke
View attachment 238326

Not Exactly the start I had in mind. But the the morale of the players were low no matter what I did with my team talks. But hoping to hold a team meeting to try and raise the morale of players to help us start winning and move up the league.

New Signings:
View attachment 238364
View attachment 238365

Brought these 2 players in hoping they can kick start our push up to the table and aim for the play offs.Unable to bring anymore players in due to lack of budgets but just hope the current team can work together and push.

This is well written and looking great! Keep it up!

Truro 1-1 Havant&W
View attachment 238379
A much better performance from the lads. Even though it was a draw a point is a point at the end of the day. Think it's safe to say the team meeting took effect as all players seemed slightly happier playing during the game.

Salisbury 1-2 Havant&W
View attachment 238380
A great win for the club. Salisbury couldn't handle our style of play even the commentator agreed that they could not handle us. Hopefully it will be a new year and a new run of results and this could be our push to the play offs and the BSP

Havant 0-0 Farnborough
View attachment 238389

A great game dominated by us. Just a shame we couldn't find the back of the net, and the penalty hit the post and went out off play. I felt this was a game we should have won.