US to avoid default as Senate backs debt ceiling rise

• Thread starter Thread starter Jak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 104
  • Views Views 9K
Sort of agree on the Harriers. Yes, they're wonderful, and yes, they stole the imagination of the British public, and yes, they were an engineering marvel. But if we don't have any carriers to operate them off, what use are they? At this moment in time, whether we have Harriers or not is irrelevant. They were also getting on a bit.

They were, but cutting the only sea borne fighterbombers is retarded. and they were operating very close to enemy lines off makeshift runways, excellent for a global striker force until their successors were ready. so now we have a top of the range carrier with nothing on it...

There's a reason the US Military bought all of our Harriers God Cubed, besides the fact they were dirt cheap.

They are versatile, adaptable and the perfect Aircraft carrier aircraft, you can strap some JDAMs on them and you have an air to ground capability. So many options, cheaper options, to just upgrade the Harrier fleet. It's a nonsense why the MOD sold them all off, especially so soon knowing we were involved in Afghanistan and other threats in the region.

None of those aircraft can be launched off of an aircraft carrier?

The Harriers could and were efficient, most of those Heli's are either rescue choppers or waiting around for desert modifications or not even being built.

We don't have a carrier. Our carriers were coming to the end of their operational life and had to be scrapped. Thus, the point is rather irrelevant, since we have no carriers to launch planes off.

That fleet of aircraft is around 15-16 aircraft bases throughout UK and NI, that's really not alot.

Er. Yes it is. For a country of Britain's size, that is a lot. Besides, the number of bases makes no difference so long as the spread is good and even across the country, and they can reach all areas, which they are and can.

And the French already have a super carrier?

Haha. The Charles De Gaulle is a rustbucket. The French hardly use it: they wanted to buy one of ours off us, which speaks volumes about how bad theirs is.

We are using it over Libya, the next 'upgrades' to the equipment is a supply of aircraft that the UK-US are collaborating on, they will be ready in 2017/18.

Using what over Libya?

The Harrier is a brilliant tool to have, very versatile...There is a reason the US Military stockpiles them and uses them off their carriers.

Yes, there is, and that reason is because A) They have carriers and B) They're a useful stop-gap until they can introduce F-35s.

We really don't have that big of an army anymore, I would argue we are still ahead of Germany/Italy but the French have taken our role over.

We never had a big army. Historically Britain maintained a small but extremely well-equipped and trained army, which is what we have now. The French armed forces are smaller than ours, don't be daft.

I accept the fact we aren't as important, we really don't have any sort of role...

Apart from being one of the most important members of NATO, probably the second most important behind the USA.

I would argue if the Argentinians wanted the Falklands back it would be a closer fight than back in the 80's.

And I would argue that it would be political suicide for the Argentinians to do that, so it's rather a moot point.

With 15k personnel cuts to the Armed Forces in the next few years as well I can only see our military getting even weaker.

Yes, we must have that extra 15k to fight that massive Red Army come to destroy us!

Israel/Russia/USA/France all have stronger military's than ours and that's just off the top of my head.

Lol. So what you've quoted there is a country almost permanently in a state of war, a gigantic nation that still has massive stockpiles from the Cold War, the only superpower in the world and a country which has a weaker military than ours. Nice going.

You maintain power relative to threat. The threat of a big war is just not that high, and thus we don't need a huge army. Likewise, the only operations we're going to be embarking on are joint forces ones, thus we don't need the capacity to invade someone by ourselves. You, and a whole bunch of other people, seem to think that we should just maintain the biggest military we can, which is bullshit.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

They were, but cutting the only sea borne fighterbombers is retarded. and they were operating very close to enemy lines off makeshift runways, excellent for a global striker force until their successors were ready. so now we have a top of the range carrier with nothing on it...

Except operating close to enemy lines off makeshift runways is something that Tornados and Eurofighters can do just as well. I understand your point about there being no point in having a carrier with nothing on it, but at this moment in time, we don't have a carrier, thus the seaborne ones at least would be useless, which is what I said.

There's a reason the US Military bought all of our Harriers God Cubed, besides the fact they were dirt cheap.

They are versatile, adaptable and the perfect Aircraft carrier aircraft, you can strap some JDAMs on them and you have an air to ground capability. So many options, cheaper options, to just upgrade the Harrier fleet. It's a nonsense why the MOD sold them all off, especially so soon knowing we were involved in Afghanistan and other threats in the region.

Yes, there is a reason, and that reason is that they were a decent stop-gap until they bring through some modern weaponry in the form of F-35s. If we didn't get rid of them now, we're just pushing it make and making it more and more expensive to maintain, and more and more obsolete. I do agree that it was probably a bit too soon and that everything seems to be mistimed and badly handled, but there's far too much of a song and dance about it.

They didn't need scrapping though?

That's the point, they were due to be decommissioned in 2-3 years time, not immediately.

Our army has never been large?

I tend to think the families of soldiers in Kenya/India/Canada/Australia/New Zealand would disagree.

The days of us having the biggest navy in the world are long gone, just accept it.

I think we should maintain relative defence capability, not decommission ships at a politicians whim, not sell off our entire fleet of Harriers, not get rid of all of our capability at sea in one swoop of the axe, not close 7-9 aircraft bases especially historic ones which have been great servants to the countries military.

15k personnel cut is hardly going to make us stronger, is it?

'Just off the top of my head' being that I am no military expert.

Not going to be pedantic and pick apart the statements made, but the SDR is completely flawed...Ill thought through and will ultimately lead to us having alot less capabilities under this government.

Go on and on about us being the 'best' but if we were the best we would get given more responsibility in Afghanistan/NATO rather than taking over provinces like Kandahar rather than on the front line in the mountains with the US forces.

''The MPs are also damning in their criticism of the decision to scrap the Nimrod MRA4 maritime aircraft in a bid to save £2bn over 10 years.''

Alot of mistakes in the SDR, we have very limited capabilities.

I admire your pride but embrace our role as an equal partner in a European defence force.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Nonsense.

If the military chiefs are saying that the Harriers decision was a mistake then I am inclined to believe them over any politician.

BY makeshift, i mean dirty squares, for me its just the tip of badly handled process, with no real strategy thought, despite what the name on the report says

Jamie, it's nothing to do with GC's pride, he's talking facts & figures. Not saying we're world leaders, but third isn't so bad for a nation of our size it's a feat in itself. Not to mention what we lack in numbers we make up for in technology and skill. Our elite forces are the best in the world at what they do.

--

And while we're talking planes and shizz, this will revolutionise our engineering industry beyond belief.

They didn't need scrapping though?

That's the point, they were due to be decommissioned in 2-3 years time, not immediately.

Fine, but this doesn't mean that our Armed Forces are suddenly irrevocably weak. It might do if we didn't have replacements lined up, but we do. We're getting stronger, if anything.

Our army has never been large?

I tend to think the families of soldiers in Kenya/India/Canada/Australia/New Zealand would disagree.

But they'd be wrong.

The days of us having the biggest navy in the world are long gone, just accept it.

Where did I say ANYTHING about us having the biggest navy in the world? Did you even read what I said? Everything I've posted has been an acceptance that no, we don't have the biggest navy in the world any more, but we DO STILL have one of the best.

I think we should maintain relative defence capability, not decommission ships at a politicians whim, not sell off our entire fleet of Harriers, not get rid of all of our capability at sea in one swoop of the axe, not close 7-9 aircraft bases especially historic ones which have been great servants to the countries military.

I see. So, where do you propose we find the money for this then? Before you say 'Cut Trident' it wouldn't even come close to covering the cost.

Also, lol at 'all our capability at sea'. Apparently 80 ships is nothing nowadays.

15k personnel cut is hardly going to make us stronger, is it?

Well noted. However, we don't need them. The enemies we are fighting aren't going to be fighting us in pitched battles between European soldiers. A big army is not necessary, and cutting its size is fine so long as we don't go overboard. We simply don't have the money to be splurging on overly big military spending.

'Just off the top of my head' being that I am no military expert.

I am. All of those choices were flawed.

Go on and on about us being the 'best' but if we were the best we would get given more responsibility in Afghanistan/NATO rather than taking over provinces like Kandahar rather than on the front line in the mountains with the US forces.

I didn't say anything about us being 'the best', but we're certainly far from the worst which is what you seem to be suggesting.

''The MPs are also damning in their criticism of the decision to scrap the Nimrod MRA4 maritime aircraft in a bid to save £2bn over 10 years.''

Alot of mistakes in the SDR, we have very limited capabilities.

Fine, that's a political mistake, but saying it limits our capabilities is stupid, considering we still have our fleet of original Nimrods.

I admire your pride but embrace our role as an equal partner in a European defence force.

Which is exactly what I've been doing. Ho hum...

Our colonial army was big not small and compact.

Never said you said the biggest navy in the world I said we don't have it anymore just accept it.

And all of the choices do have military bigger than ours, correct?

So my choices...Weren't flawed?

That 80 ships number your throwing around includes small ships and I actually think after the ships got decommissioned it's lower than that.

All these pedantic points being argued doesn't change the point that the SDR was a completely flawed and rushed review with no real consultation with 'troops on the ground'.

And all these points are so speculative it's absurd, the key point before it drifted off was will the SDR make us weaker?

I say yes, detrimentally and you say not to the extent I think...Fine.

Accept each of our views on it and move on, that's how to amicably settle a debate.

Agreed with what Mike said re SDR/Harriers, a baffling decision to scrap them so soon when their replacements are a few years off being ready.

Our colonial army was big not small and compact.

No, it wasn't. It really wasn't. Our colonial army was small in size, with a core of hardened soldiers that were quickly deployed and redeployed around the world by the Royal Navy. In terms of manpower, it was bigger than our current one, but EVERYONE's was bigger. The continental powers like France and Russia had huge armies - mostly full of conscripts in the times of the Napoleonic wars and thus truly massive, but even in WWI they had armies far bigger than ours - that dwarfed ours in terms of size.

I have a military historian for a brother. Trust me on this.

Never said you said the biggest navy in the world I said we don't have it anymore just accept it.

Myself said:
We are second only to the United States in terms of size and quality, with the US Navy having more gross tonnage than the next 17 or so navies combined.

Read what I ******* say, please. I'm getting tired of this. At no point have I said we have the biggest navy in the world: indeed, I've specifically stated otherwise, yet you seem to be set on trying to prove me wrong on a point I don't even support

And all of the choices do have military bigger than ours, correct?

No, again as I stated. France has a smaller military than us. The other three are to be expected. Bad luck.

That 80 ships number your throwing around includes small ships and I actually think after the ships got decommissioned it's lower than that.

You're right, it's 79 ships. And I'm not including Royal Fleet Auxiliary ships that are ready to be activated at any time, which would bring our full strength up to about 100. Rather depends on what you call a small ship: a minesweeper? A patrol vessel? A frigate?

All these pedantic points being argued doesn't change the point that the SDR was a completely flawed and rushed review with no real consultation with 'troops on the ground'.

Indeed. Don't remember arguing against that though, to be fair...

And all these points are so speculative it's absurd, the key point before it drifted off was will the SDR make us weaker?

Point was our military is not as weak as Belgium or Luxembourg's, which I think we have established, it isn't.

Accept each of our views on it and move on, that's how to amicably settle a debate.

I would do that, had you had any credible views past the ones on SDR, which isn't what we're arguing about.

I'm not changing my views, respect your opinion but IMO France are a bigger military power in world affairs than us.

Saying that Russia/Israel/USA/France have bigger more powerful military's than the UK is hardly groundbreaking news.

Been nice debating with you, as usual with a debate neither changed neither's view and we ended up at square one, makes you wonder what is the point in it.

Latest general to criticise the MOD strategy mentions the fact that despite those 200 helicopters we do actually have, barely any are in use. I get the feeling he's not happy with SDR either and mentions it severely hampers our capability, just food for thought...

Armed Forces too weak to defeat the Taliban - Telegraph

I'm not changing my views, respect your opinion but IMO France are a bigger military power in world affairs than us.

Saying that Russia/Israel/USA/France have bigger more powerful military's than the UK is hardly groundbreaking news.

Been nice debating with you, as usual with a debate neither changed neither's view and we ended up at square one, makes you wonder what is the point in it.

Latest general to criticise the MOD strategy mentions the fact that despite those 200 helicopters we do actually have, barely any are in use. I get the feeling he's not happy with SDR either and mentions it severely hampers our capability, just food for thought...

Armed Forces too weak to defeat the Taliban - Telegraph

Shame they only build tanks with 6 reverse gears and 1 forward then. ^.^

---------- Post added 05/08/2011 at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was 04/08/2011 at 11:51 PM ----------

BBC News - Market turmoil persists despite US jobs data

---------- Post added 06/08/2011 at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was 05/08/2011 at 05:01 PM ----------

One of the world's leading credit rating agencies, Standard & Poor's, has downgraded the United States' top-notch AAA rating for the first time ever.

S&P cut the long-term US rating by one notch to AA+ with a negative outlook, citing concerns about budget deficits.
The agency said the deficit reduction plan passed by the US Congress on Tuesday did not go far enough.
Correspondents say the downgrade could erode investors' confidence in the world's largest economy.
It is already struggling with huge debts, unemployment of 9.1% and fears of a possible double-dip recession.
The downgrade is a major embarrassment for the administration of President Barack Obama and could raise the cost of US government borrowing.
This in turn could trickle down to higher interest rates for local governments and individuals.

However, some analysts said with debt woes across much of the developed world, US debt remained an attractive option for investors.
The other two major credit rating agencies, Moody's and Fitch, said on Friday night they had no immediate plans to follow S&P in taking the US off their lists of risk-free borrowers.
'Flawed judgement'Officials in Washington told US media that the agency's sums were deeply flawed.
Unnamed sources were quoted as saying that a treasury official had spotted a $2 trillion [£1.2 trillion] mistake in the agency's analysis.
"A judgment flawed by a $2tn error speaks for itself," a US treasury department spokesman said of the S&P analysis. He did not offer any immediate explanation.
John Chambers, chairman of S&P's sovereign ratings committee, told CNN that the US could have averted a downgrade if it had resolved its congressional stalemate earlier.
"The first thing it could have done is raise the debt ceiling in a timely matter so the debate would have been avoided to begin with," he said.
International reaction to the S&P move has been mixed.
China, the world's largest holder of US debt, had "every right now to demand the United States address its structural debt problems and ensure the safety of China's dollar assets," said a commentary in the official Xinhua news agency.
"International supervision over the issue of US dollars should be introduced and a new, stable and secured global reserve currency may also be an option to avert a catastrophe caused by any single country," the commentary said.
However, officials in Japan, South Korea and Australia have urged a calm response to the downgrade.
The S&P announcement comes after a week of turmoil on global stock markets, partly triggered by fears over the US economy's recovery and the eurozone crisis.

S&P had threatened the downgrade if the US could not agree to cut its federal debt by at least $4tn over the next decade.
Instead, the bill passed by Congress on Tuesday plans $2.1tn in savings over 10 years.
S&P said the Republicans and Democrats had only been able to agree "relatively modest savings", which fell "well short" of what had been envisaged.
The agency also noted that the legislation delegates the lion's share of savings to a bipartisan committee, which must report back to Congress in November on where the axe should fall.
The bill - which also raises the federal debt ceiling by up to $2.4tn, from $14.3tn, over a decade - was passed on Tuesday just hours before the expiry of a deadline to raise the US borrowing limit.

S&P said in its report issued late on Friday: "The downgrade reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and the administration recently agreed to falls short of what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilise the government's medium-term debt dynamics.
"More broadly, the downgrade reflects our view that the effectiveness, stability, and predictability of American policymaking and political institutions have weakened at a time of ongoing fiscal and economic challenges."
The agency said it might lower the US long-term rating another notch to AA within the next two years if its deficit reduction measures were deemed inadequate.
S&P noted that the bill passed by Congress this week did not include new revenues - Republicans had staunchly opposed President Barack Obama's calls for tax rises to help pay off America's deficit.
The credit agency also noted that the legislation contained only minor policy changes to Medicare, an entitlement programme dear to Democrats.
"The political brinksmanship of recent months highlights what we see as America's governance and policymaking becoming less stable, less effective, and less predictable than what we previously believed," it added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14428930

--

But no, lets not start cutting the deficit now, a downgrade is much more fun!

And the party has got started, markets already took a huge kicking. While the parties squabble, "rome" burns

And the party has got started, markets already took a huge kicking. While the parties squabble, "rome" burns

Indeed. Not sure why it took them a month to come out with a deal that still wasn't going to work anyway. If they didn't play so long at politics and showed some decisiveness they may not have been downgraded anyway.

Indeed. Not sure why it took them a month to come out with a deal that still wasn't going to work anyway. If they didn't play so long at politics and showed some decisiveness they may not have been downgraded anyway.

partisan bollocks. Usually there is a core of senior dems and republicans who cross the carpet and make the compromise. But they are getting pinned back by the nonsense of the tea party.

This.

I mean just look at Harriers on MW2!

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Jamie, it's nothing to do with GC's pride, he's talking facts & figures. Not saying we're world leaders, but third isn't so bad for a nation of our size it's a feat in itself. Not to mention what we lack in numbers we make up for in technology and skill. Our elite forces are the best in the world at what they do.

--

And while we're talking planes and shizz, this will revolutionise our engineering industry beyond belief.

You obviously haven't heard of The A Team.

Couldn't agree more. Labour creating thousands of public sector jobs so it is actually bigger than the private sector.

Not just the jobs, they **** money away for fun. The government gives them money, they have no need to make profit to survive, they waste money. If someone gives you 100k when you need 60k, you're not going to give 40k back, you'll spend it needlessly. For instance at my college, they used to bring in people to do presentations on random subjects that have no relevance to our study, and paid over £2.5k for them to deliver 5 hours of lectures. When their spending got cut, they drafted teachers instead who did it for £400-500.

The deficit is 1.6$ trillion. Knocking 200$ billion will help, but it's a drop in the ocean when it comes the debt (14$ trillion). Let's look at history though. In 1937 FDR raised taxes and increased spending in an attempt get out of the Great Depression, after a period of recovery (does this sound familiar at all?). This resulted in a double dip. Woop-de-*******-doo.

Today's The Economist says it about 50%/50% for a double dip.

You may call me Nostradamus.

Back