Useful Applications

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I posted a thread on Snackr, an RSS reader so may as well have a thread for all those little programs you have running on your computer that you think could be of use to other people.

AllSnap (Download) - Just a small program that lets you move windows about easier. Useufl for people with larger monitors who like to display more than one window at a time. YouTube example posted below..

http://www.youtube.com/v/sxMBUmqAhJw

Windows Live Mail (Download) - Been using this email client for a while now. Very handy if you're a hotmail user as I think it's one of the only email clients that hotmail lets you use. It's very lightweight but has all the features you need, much better than the bigger Outlook 2007 that Microsoft also do.

WLMail_Overview.gif

Feel free to add other good programs...

Last edited:
cheers Sean the windows live one will come in handy

Anything from PortableApps. I have Vlc, OpenOffice, and Pidgin all running from my usb. It's my PC away from home.

Yeh that site has some good apps on. VLC, FileZilla.

EasyPHP is a great tool for web developers as well. Creates a Apache, MySQL, PHP environment on your pc (localhost). Very simple and easy to use.

Think i have used that EasyPHP before, you may have recommended it to me. Used to use filezilla aswell.

That PortableApps looks quite good, cant stand using anything but VLC to play video files - it's quick/small and opens all the formats i require of it.

Could do with some kind of Email thing (like Outlook) for Gmail if there is one available? have multiple Gmail accounts i log into every day.

tuneup utilities i use and its good for cleaning up your system and modding it to how you want it, its about the only app i use! i dont really need much else but im open to suggestions, i use gmail privatley and so does the uni aswell but dont really get that many emails for it to become a problem to check them both

Yeah TuneUp seems to do the job for me aswell. System seemed to run a lot smoother since i installed and set up weekly checks. Reckons its found thousands of problems. Use it to uninstall programs aswell, loads faster than normal Control Panel way!

Could do with some kind of Email thing (like Outlook) for Gmail if there is one available? have multiple Gmail accounts i log into every day.

That Windows Live Mail will let you view your Gmail account. Little fiddly to set up but i'm sure you can manage.

Is it a big application? use up much resource? (take not my 512ram and 1.6 pro).

At the moment on my system Windows Task Manager says it is using 15,092 K Memory (whatever that means). It's fairly light and much better than Outlook, which is truely useless.

Yeah i've rid myself of Outlook, annoyed the **** out of me when i clicked it by accident and it took ages to load open :p.

ive not used outlook in like 6 years

deleted that mail thing already, annoyed me after 2 minutes

Yeah it is pretty annoying, takes too long to sync with inbox and sent messages etc... Plus it froze on me three times the first time I tried to open it :|

That TuneUp thing is pretty good though, thanks whoever mentioned it :)

Weird. I have never had any problems with it. Runs so smoothly for me. I use it for my Hotmail and my Uni emails.

Did people just get the Tuneup trial? Cos I went on their site and it costs :p

Yup download the trial and there are 'ways' to make the trial last a bit longer lol ;)

tuneup is class, especially for us idiots who have vista.