Using the media to gain an advantage: Boring and tedious or essential?

mcbgun

Reaction score
Since the new FM13 game came out I've been trying to improve the way I manage and go about my daily business. Its paid off so far as I have been able to be quite successful with whoever I've picked. One thing though that I've always steered clear of purely because I can't be bothered with it as I find it repetitive and boring is media conferences.

The only media interaction I do is anything that's recommended by my backroom team i.e. commenting on managers and praising players. That's it.

Just after general opinions really. What you guys think?

I don't think the media has much of an effect in the game, in my experience not interacting with the media has had no effect on how successful I've been in the game. It's repetitive but i don't think it's ever going to be one of the more engaging features in the game.

I don't think the media has much of an effect in the game, in my experience not interacting with the media has had no effect on how successful I've been in the game. It's repetitive but i don't think it's ever going to be one of the more engaging features in the game.

I have to respectfully disagree(about it not having much effect, not about it being repetitive because it definitely is) In previous versions I feel like it had zero impact, but in 13 I feel like it can make a big difference. Especially when you use the comment on head coach - pre match option. I pick something from "general comment about match" before every game I want to win (so I don't bother with the capital one cup).
The key is to picking the right option, you have to have a good sense for how strong your squad is playing right now and look at the opponent's match history and gauge how well they will be playing. Being cocky in the right situations (saying "He is dreaming if he thinks ___ can win this match, when you are heavily favored to win, should never result in a loss), can result in impressive victories, but you also have to respect your opponents enough. Sometimes it backfires for me, but I really feel like I have changed the outcomes of games just by using these options.

Another useful one is calling out opposing defenders as the weakest link. Especially if someone is injured or suspended and you know they have to use an untested prospect or something, if you call him out (but don't if he has high determination) you will often get the response that he can't get your comments out of his head and his morale will way down. If you set your passing to target where he is as well you can score a lot more than you should have. But this option is risky to use, only use it if you can clearly tell which defender is the weakest link, otherwise you may accidentally inspire him to prove you wrong and his morale will go way up.

But yeah, using the media probably isn't essential, I'm sure you can win every trophy in the game without it, but it definitely, definitely can help.

I play fm12, not 13...and I've had much more success using press conferences than with not.

Press conferences can affect morale. Always be positive in press conferences and you'll notice that team morale stays positive. You slate your players, officials, gameplan and what not and you'll see slumps.

I have to respectfully disagree(about it not having much effect, not about it being repetitive because it definitely is) In previous versions I feel like it had zero impact, but in 13 I feel like it can make a big difference. Especially when you use the comment on head coach - pre match option. I pick something from "general comment about match" before every game I want to win (so I don't bother with the capital one cup).
The key is to picking the right option, you have to have a good sense for how strong your squad is playing right now and look at the opponent's match history and gauge how well they will be playing. Being cocky in the right situations (saying "He is dreaming if he thinks ___ can win this match, when you are heavily favored to win, should never result in a loss), can result in impressive victories, but you also have to respect your opponents enough. Sometimes it backfires for me, but I really feel like I have changed the outcomes of games just by using these options.

Another useful one is calling out opposing defenders as the weakest link. Especially if someone is injured or suspended and you know they have to use an untested prospect or something, if you call him out (but don't if he has high determination) you will often get the response that he can't get your comments out of his head and his morale will way down. If you set your passing to target where he is as well you can score a lot more than you should have. But this option is risky to use, only use it if you can clearly tell which defender is the weakest link, otherwise you may accidentally inspire him to prove you wrong and his morale will go way up.

But yeah, using the media probably isn't essential, I'm sure you can win every trophy in the game without it, but it definitely, definitely can help.
I don't see the benefits of using it myself, but i'll start using it again and see if i notice any kind of difference...

used too go to all the press conferences but now i just can't be bothered and it doesn't seem to have had a huge effect

Another nice trick that tends to work with most teams is to tip them as title favourites. Obviously there's those teams that don't suffer from that, but most get pressured and start giving points away.

110% correct! Fm12 had no impact whatsoever, FM13 this is a must!

Interesting set of replies there guys. My next question is....Raikan007 created a team talk guide which is fantastic and has really helped me in my game. Is there a guide like that for media interaction? One that gives a clear set of guidelines for everything to do with media interaction?

I play fm12, not 13...and I've had much more success using press conferences than with not.

Press conferences can affect morale. Always be positive in press conferences and you'll notice that team morale stays positive. You slate your players, officials, gameplan and what not and you'll see slumps.

Actually, that could make your team complacent, whereas slating them can get them to improve morale... it all depends on your players/teams personality. If most of your first team players have high determination, it can be better to slate them :)

I find using the media to be really important, especially in affecting your opponents team selection and morale. If you talk about a player with low determination (For a defensive player calling him a weak link, for an attacking player calling him the dangerman) then he can become demoralised, which will either effect his performance against you or mean he will be dropped from the team! :)

(Although the key attribute is actually handling pressure (Or whatever it's called) but this is a hidden attribute so you have to guess by looking at his determination and how he has reacted in the past!)

Interesting set of replies there guys. My next question is....Raikan007 created a team talk guide which is fantastic and has really helped me in my game. Is there a guide like that for media interaction? One that gives a clear set of guidelines for everything to do with media interaction?

cheers mate, glad its helping

to my knowledge, no there is not :) maybe I will make one over the next week or so

I find using the media to be really important, especially in affecting your opponents team selection and morale. If you talk about a player with low determination (For a defensive player calling him a weak link, for an attacking player calling him the dangerman) then he can become demoralised, which will either effect his performance against you or mean he will be dropped from the team! :)
)

or send their morale sky high and come at you with a vengeance! had that too! some players say that they will prove you wrong and sometimes do!

but more often than not they say "I cannot get the comments bla bla bla" and takes morale down to poor/very poor making their manager possibly dropping them for the game!

I suggest only doing this if you started with experience of Professional or up or have a good reputation!

cheers mate, glad its helping

to my knowledge, no there is not :) maybe I will make one over the next week or so

Its one of the areas of the game that I think people still skip over because it is seen as repetitive and tedious but clearly it does more good than harm else the developers wouldn't have included it. I for one would gladly embrace it, but only if I knew how best to do it rather than breaking a save game to find out. Also I tend now to start off unemployed and with sunday footballer reputation so what would be the reputation I would wait to start using the media press conferences?

I get the feeling my manager comments to the media don't do a lot as I choose whatever is recommended to me by my staff and always finish off by choosing in an assertive tone that I get on really well with them....no doubt a pointless waste of time!

A guide would be greatly received by all I think. Its the biggest question mark for me since team talks became a deciding factor!

Using the media to gain an advantage: Boring and tedious or essential?

Why not both? :)

It is a bit boring with the repetitive questions or pre-determined answers you can give but it can be a game changer if handled correctly.

or send their morale sky high and come at you with a vengeance! had that too! some players say that they will prove you wrong and sometimes do!

but more often than not they say "I cannot get the comments bla bla bla" and takes morale down to poor/very poor making their manager possibly dropping them for the game!

I suggest only doing this if you started with experience of Professional or up or have a good reputation!

I started as Sunday League and still do it, 80% the time it works..

I never pick on experienced/determined/professional players in press conferences, they all will prove you wrong. Young players or others are prime players to kill morale.

Another nice trick that tends to work with most teams is to tip them as title favourites. Obviously there's those teams that don't suffer from that, but most get pressured and start giving points away.

Yes this is a good one too. In my save United were about to play City. United were undefeated and were a good 10 points ahead of the next team, while City were struggling. Since I really needed United to lose so I could close the gap I held a press conference for each team. For United I said "they have been impressive so far, perhaps making them title favorites," and for City I pointed out how they were underperforming. Sure enough it resulted in a City victory and United's first loss.

If you ever wondered if you should play mind games with your oppositions players... Well, here's the answer:

First goal I conceded was a counter attack after I had a corner and second one was...well, I played my U19 defenders and my squad consisted mostly of my hot prospects this game :)

Normally Sturm Graz would be considered one of the "Big 4" in Austrian Bundesliga but they seriously underperformed this season.

View attachment 329530View attachment 329531

Looking forward to some sort of guide being written by someone with more understanding than I have!

IMO, it's a great tool to boost morale. I use it all the time to praise players for their performances, or to give an opinion about opponents.

If you praise a player for the performance in a specific game or to praise him for a good run of good games, you them go to his profile and see that he reacts to what you say, keeping the morale up.

Ofc it's tedious and boring but it helps. Essential? No, but in 13, IMO, nothing is essential. The sum of it all is what makes the difference.

I use team meetings, i talk to players in private, i go to media conferences, all to keep players motivated and happy.

Btw, i don't think a guide is needed, just common sense and always put your pride on a box, cover it and don't use it :D