Mike.

Reaction score
valenciacflogooriginal.png
VS
manchesterunitedfccrest.png

Uefa Champions League
Venue: Mestalla Date: Wednesday 29 September Kick-off: 1945 BST
Coverage: ITV1 19:30​

Manchester United's Michael Carrick could return for Wednesday's Champions League Group C match against Valencia.
The midfielder has not started a game since the Community Shield in August because of an Achilles tendon problem.
Wayne Rooney, Antonio Valencia (both ankle) and Ryan Giggs (hamstring) all miss the trip because of injury.

Paul Scholes is rested and fit-again defender Rio Ferdinand is set to partner Nemanja Vidic in central defence for the first time this season.
Portuguese striker Bebe is also included in the 22-man squad for the visit to Spain.
Despite the summer departures of David Villa and David Silva, Valencia are the early-season pacesetters in La Liga and midfielder Darren Fletcher expects them to be formidable opponents.

"It is going to be a difficult match," said Fletcher.
"People might say it is not the same Valencia because they have lost Villa and Silva.
"But as we have seen at Manchester United, when you lose good players others step up to the mark and take on more responsibility. They have had a fantastic start.
"But we have picked up experience of playing in Europe and we have confidence. We know how to cope with the travel and the different styles of play.
"Against Spanish sides, keeping the ball is key. If you give the ball away cheaply, you might not see it for a few minutes and they will punish you."

Manchester United squad: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Amos, Rafael, O'Shea, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Smalling, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick, Gibson, Park, Bebe, Berbatov, Owen, Hernandez, Macheda.

Likely Formations:
Valencia: 4-2-3-1
Manchester United:4-5-1/4-3-3

Starting XI's:

valenciaunited.jpg

Last edited:
Will be happy with a draw and win are remaining 4 games, Hope Hernandez gets a chance with Berbatov as I think that could be a very exciting partnership.

Was just about to make this thread when yours popped up..

Looking forward to this game, and I'm fairly confident although I probably shouldn't be. Can't see a clean sheet but can see a win so going to say

Valencia 1-2 Man Utd - Berbatov and Fletcher to score.

I'm intrigued as to how we'll line up without Scholes, Giggs and Rooney and with Berbatov and Owen in the form they are in.

I'd like to see;

Van Der Sar
Rafael/O'Shea - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra
Nani - Carrick - Fletcher - Park
Berbatov - Owen​

Not sure about RB as Mata loves to attack but isn't so good defensively. Rafael would provide the natural width and energy but could be susceptible to a counter attack with that quality on the flank whereas O'Shea wouldn't get forward as effectively but would probably be more stable at RB against a quality winger such as Mata. Should be an entertaining game though nonetheless :)

Will be a tough game for United considering Valencia's run of form, plus being top of La Liga at the moment.

Having Rooney, Giggs, and Scholes out doesn't help either. However, United have enough strength in depth to get a result. I think it will end 2-2, United to score a last minute equalizer through Michael Owen.

Not sure how I see this going, my head says score draw. Valencia is on top form at the moment and still have an array of talent, despite losing Villa and Silva.

A draw tonight could prove to be very useful for Rangers.

im going for 2-1 to Valencia. They are playing well at the moment and will tear Utds shaky defence appart.

1-1 draw, valencia are good defensively, though they lack pace at the back, and they are not totally flowin withs goals up front. tight game

im going for 2-1 to Valencia. They are playing well at the moment and will tear Utds shaky defence appart.

I don't think they'll tear our defense apart. I think they'll cause us problems like all teams do during a game but I don't think they'll batter our defense. I can see them getting an early goal, and then us controlling the game and getting a few goals before withstanding a late barrage of attack. Maybe even nick a 3rd on the counter because of their onslaught.

Sticking with my 2-1 prediction though.

im gunna guess 2-0 man utd. I reckon they are gunna play well tonight and i can see them winning comfortably

I dont think we will lose tonight but at the same time, I dont think we'll win. Im going for a score draw, 1-1. Berbatov to continue his good start to the season, welcoming Rio back to the defence should make us a better defensive side, I hope to god that O'Shea is finally dropped!

I don't think they'll tear our defense apart. I think they'll cause us problems like all teams do during a game but I don't think they'll batter our defense. I can see them getting an early goal, and then us controlling the game and getting a few goals before withstanding a late barrage of attack. Maybe even nick a 3rd on the counter because of their onslaught.

Sticking with my 2-1 prediction though.

Im just looking that Bolton gave you a hard time and should have won and Valencia are a better attaking side then Bolton.

very true, but you should also no that every 90 minutes is a different game.

Agreed but Valencia are playing well at the moment and look to have got the team balanced. I think they will relish playing Utd at the moment more than Utd will them.

Im just looking that Bolton gave you a hard time and should have won and Valencia are a better attaking side then Bolton.

Bolton were really up for it and we weren't. Even then we controlled a lot of the game but they finished well and got a bit of luck with the second goal getting a deflection and what not.

I think tonight will be a different story and we'll be up for it. European game and players staking a claim for those places that are up for grabs with Rooney, Giggs and Scholes all out tonight and vs Sunderland it would be a good place for someone to put in a very good performance to try and make that place their own.

Got a feeling it's going to be a highly entertaining game though.

EDIT: Also, I'm not too sure but didn't they only really have 1 test this season vs Athletico Madrid at the Mestalla and got a draw? Maybe they're susceptible to a stronger attacking threat.

Bolton were really up for it and we weren't. Even then we controlled a lot of the game but they finished well and got a bit of luck with the second goal getting a deflection and what not.

I think tonight will be a different story and we'll be up for it. European game and players staking a claim for those places that are up for grabs with Rooney, Giggs and Scholes all out tonight and vs Sunderland it would be a good place for someone to put in a very good performance to try and make that place their own.

Got a feeling it's going to be a highly entertaining game though.

EDIT: Also, I'm not too sure but didn't they only really have 1 test this season vs Athletico Madrid at the Mestalla and got a draw? Maybe they're susceptible to a stronger attacking threat.
they were very uncomfortable in that game, so if we can provide a similar threat we can punish them

My point exactly. We'll probably be the strongest attack they've come up against this season. We aren't exactly lacking goals this season either, it's just the defense is shipping them. Rio's return should boost the defense against a Valencia team who aren't scoring for fun but getting enough to win games.

I think the battle in the midfield is going to be key tonight. Whoever comes out on top their will be winners in this game I feel. A lot of people saying a draw tonight but I don't see it. We need the win now considering we drew the first game and Rangers are at home tonight against the weakest team in the group. Valencia will want to win so they move miles away from the rest of the group and will be favourites for qualification with a win tonight. A win for them today would also mean that if they lost at Old Trafford like they'll be expected to then it won't effect their chances too much as they'll already have 3 points more than they were expecting.

I see a winner in this game and I think Man Utd, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we did lose.

This could be the kind of game where if United win, it signals that they can do well this season, despite a shaky start, they can kick on, but if they loose... many people may say United's season will be dead.

Hmm. Can't decide between watching this (for a good game of football) or the Rangers vs Bursaspor game (for the Scottish team) tonight. I'll probably flick between the two and will no doubt miss all the goals. I predict a 2-1 win for Man Utd.

This could be the kind of game where if United win, it signals that they can do well this season, despite a shaky start, they can kick on, but if they loose... many people may say United's season will be dead.
meh only the media would make hype from a game like this, this early in the season, this isnt a make or break game by any means.

Back