Van der Sar sets retirement date

Imagine them going for someone like Hugo Lloris. At least Reina's not going there.

List of Goalkeepers Sir Alex Ferguson has signed since 1990:
Les Sealey - from Luton 1990+1993 (dont know much about the lad)
Peter Schmeichel - from Brondby(625k) - 1991 (one of the best buys ever)
Fraser Digby - from Swindon(loan) 1992 (didnt play one game)
Nick Culkin - from York(250k) 1995 (played one game)
Tony Coton - from Man City(500k) 1996 (didnt play a game)
Raimond van der Gouw - from Vitesse(free) 1996 (played 37 games, good enough for number 2)
Russell Bent - from Notts County(free) 1998 (nothing known on the lad at all)
Mark Bosnich - from Aston Villa(?) 1999 (2nd spell at Utd, played 25 games but wasn't excellent)
Massimo Taibi - from Venezia(4.5m) 1999 (played 4 shockingly bad games, a pure joke of a keeper)
Fabien Barthez - from Monaco(7.8m) 2000 (came with big reputation and price but didnt really live up to it)
Andy Goram - from Motherwell(loan) 2001 (signed as back up keeper only played 2 games)
Roy Carroll - from Wigan(undis) 2001 (played 49league games, was ok but not Utd class)
Luke Steele - from Peterborough(500k) 2002 (didnt play a single game)
Ricardo - from Valladolid(1.5m) 2002 (played 1 game for Utd)
Tim Howard - from Metrostars(2.3m) 2003 (45 games for Utd, sold prematurely in my view)
Edwin van der Sar - from Fulham(undis) 2005 (sensational signing)
Ben Foster - from Stoke(undis) 2005 (young prospect, like Howard sold prematurely in my view)
Tomasz Kuszczak - from WBA(undis) 2007 (signed after loan deal, been 2nd and 3rd choice ever since. Decent keeper but not world class)
Anders Lindegaard - from Aalesund(undis) 2011 (not well known and hasn't played much 1st team football in his carear to date)

My point in this is that Ferguson and his advisors/scouts havn't got the best track record for signing good keepers and when they did they let them go abit too early. I think there is a little bit of pressure on Utd to get it right this time round.

Everyone knows especially Arsenal fans you cant win a titles without a world class keeper, a world class keeper can win you 10 points on his own in a season. It is still unclear whether Utd will have any money to spend in the summer and if they dont then they will have to take a huge gamble on the 2 keepers they have at the moment.

VDS will be hugely missed at Utd and in the PL, one of the best keepers to grace this earth and deserves all the accolades he has got.

I will add i am not slamming Utd at all, i am just posting this to raise a friendly discussion.

As long as we dont do what we did when Peter Schmeichel left that would not be good

the money is there, unlike previously though we cant afford expensive flops (people forget we actually spend 25 million) and we have 15 million pound clause in adlers contract

Les Sealey - from Luton 1990+1993 (dont know much about the lad)
Fraser Digby - from Swindon(loan) 1992 (didnt play one game)
Nick Culkin - from York(250k) 1995 (played one game)
Tony Coton - from Man City(500k) 1996 (didnt play a game)
Raimond van der Gouw - from Vitesse(free) 1996 (played 37 games, good enough for number 2)
Russell Bent - from Notts County(free) 1998 (nothing known on the lad at all)
Mark Bosnich - from Aston Villa(?) 1999 (2nd spell at Utd, played 25 games but wasn't excellent)
Massimo Taibi - from Venezia(4.5m) 1999 (played 4 shockingly bad games, a pure joke of a keeper)
Fabien Barthez - from Monaco(7.8m) 2000 (came with big reputation and price but didnt really live up to it)
Andy Goram - from Motherwell(loan) 2001 (signed as back up keeper only played 2 games)
Roy Carroll - from Wigan(undis) 2001 (played 49league games, was ok but not Utd class)
Luke Steele - from Peterborough(500k) 2002 (didnt play a single game)
Ricardo - from Valladolid(1.5m) 2002 (played 1 game for Utd)
Tim Howard - from Metrostars(2.3m) 2003 (45 games for Utd, sold prematurely in my view)
Ben Foster - from Stoke(undis) 2005 (young prospect, like Howard sold prematurely in my view)
Tomasz Kuszczak - from WBA(undis) 2007 (signed after loan deal, been 2nd and 3rd choice ever since. Decent keeper but not world class)
Anders Lindegaard - from Aalesund(undis) 2011 (not well known and hasn't played much 1st team football in his carear to date)

My point in this is that Ferguson and his advisors/scouts havn't got the best track record for signing good keepers and when they did they let them go abit too early. I think there is a little bit of pressure on Utd to get it right this time round.

Everyone knows especially Arsenal fans you cant win a titles without a world class keeper, a world class keeper can win you 10 points on his own in a season. It is still unclear whether Utd will have any money to spend in the summer and if they dont then they will have to take a huge gamble on the 2 keepers they have at the moment.

VDS will be hugely missed at Utd and in the PL, one of the best keepers to grace this earth and deserves all the accolades he has got.

I will add i am not slamming Utd at all, i am just posting this to raise a friendly discussion.

To be fair, while VDS and Schmeical were there, all the other players were always to be back-up players, and back ups don't stay for that long before they get fed up.

So wait.....the guy got a special clause in contract that if United wanted him they could get him for a cut down price.............WOW.... he needs to be a Man U players asap!!
No,he supports us so if Leverkusen get a offer from us they can't reject it,he will become mad like in fm XD He's been a United fan since he was a kid....

Apparently Messi was an Arsenal fan since birth and has a release clause of around £1m? For Arsenal?

EDIT: Sorry for off-topic.

His contract states that if Man Utd comes in with a 15m bid then it's a deal.

Apparently Messi was an Arsenal fan since birth and has a release clause of around £1m? For Arsenal?

EDIT: Sorry for off-topic.

Hope you know what you are posting.

Adler is United fan and it was his dream to play for Us. So when he extended his contract for all the services he has provided for leverkusen, they agreed to put the clause in his contract which is release clause, which only United can trigger. So if we make a bid of 15 or 20 Million, they cant reject it. Leverkusen are happy with the clause, so is Adler.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Apart from Schmeichel, VDS, Barthez, Howard majority were back ups. You really cant keep the back ups for too long as GK is the hardest position to get a game when you got excellent Number 1.

van der Gouw was really very good GK and should have got chance. He was very unlucky.

Ben Foster, Tomasz Kuszczak are excellent back up keepers. Foster is excellent keeper just that he lacks mentality to play at highest level.

Barthez was really good. Only problem with him was for all the excellent games, moments, he had so many blunders. And he was really good. I think he holds the record for number of clean sheets in Euros.

Yes Fergie has average/poor track record when it comes to GK. But he has made bargain of the century in Schmeichel and Excellent signing in VDS.

Brilliant 'keeper, especially a few years ago when he was in his prime.

Anything that weakens the opposition is good news to me. Hope he enjoys his retirement.