Virgin Broadband

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I came across this earlier. It's information on their 'Traffic Management' scheme, which is basically just something they do to slow down OUR internet during peak times.

I am on the L package (4Mb) so during 4-9pm if i download 800MB or upload 325MB my download speed will get limited to 1Mb (1024 kB/s) and upload to 128Kb (12.8 kB/s) for 5 hours!

I know they have been limiting it as it has happened every day for the last month or three. So I'm going to try and not go over the threshold, which is far too low, and see if my net stays normal for once.

**** virgin, I want NTL back :(

NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS!!!!!! haha Thats why i ****** off from Tiscali stupid ftp.

NTL never gave a toss about how much people used their internet. So what if a few people who want to check their emails suffer from a slightly slower connection, who cares really.

I know a bunch of middle aged wankers reading emails from there relatives in Canada :p

Yup whereas 'real' internet users like us want to be downloading films and music and Virgin are saying no as they would rather let old people read a few emails :(

My Broadband being a **** at the moment, i have Orange Broadband..meant to be 2meg i think, but runs at 1.1 i think...because that's apparantly the best we can get....

And i am on it wirelessly, and someone else is always on it wireless downstairs downloading :mad:

Surely you do most your downloading on an evening/through the night Sean?

This is bollocks. The limit for me is 3GB over 5 hours which i can download in about 30 minutes.

my nets been **** for like 3 months but all of a sudden today it was fine, its gone meh now but it usally goes **** around this time.

had been gettign 120kb/s max when i used to get 240kb/s max

Surely you do most your downloading on an evening/through the night Sean?

Well I tend to do most of my downloading in the early morning when the new releases are out. It's mainly my upload which I tend to leave on all the time. But if I upload for about an hour at my top speed thats about 350MB uploaded and the limit, so bang goes my net speed. Also 800mb is the size of a movie so if I download one movie my net goes **** for the next 5 hours, its rather gay and unfair.

This is bollocks. The limit for me is 3GB over 5 hours which i can download in about 30 minutes.

Haha that sucks. How much data does WoW take up? You should download DU Meter and see.

WoW doesn't take up much. But just the general internet browsing and downloading when there's 3 of us is quite a lot.

Yeh well I monitored mine for 20 minutes and from just normal internet browsing I used about 15MB which was quite surprising seeing as all I tend to go on are forums and blogs.

Currently on the 20mb Virgin package and it's complete bollocks. The only reason I'm still with them is because when I asked them to disconnect it they offered me a TV, phone and broadband deal and it was too good to refuse. I'll put up with the **** service for the 8 more months of this deal I have left. Then it's off to get a BT line and sign up to bethere.

Looks nice 'n cheap. What sort of restrictions do they have on usage then?

I honestly ******* hate the hypocrisy in all these 'unlimited packages' Yea unlimited for the retards who only use it for Emails and Myspace

https://www.bethere.co.uk/fairusage.do

There is unlimited packages but the fair usage policy will still apply I believe.

What about excessive network usage?

If it’s felt that any Be member’s Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that member’s services.

Sounds a bit gay, I hate ISP's. Why is the UK so far behind the rest of the world on cheap and good broadband providers.

I honestly ******* hate the hypocrisy in all these 'unlimited packages' Yea unlimited for the retards who only use it for Emails and Myspace

Yeh calling packages 'unlimited' is a disgrace. I think the advertising standards agency are trying to get it changed.

It really ****** me off with Tiscali because i never really downloaded as much as i do now wth BT and i'm fine but i only download in the morning

Annoying thing was that Tiscali couldnt tell you how much you were allowed to download before breakign FUP as it was against the law to say unlimited then specificy limits

Sean has your FML user interface suffered any? Im wondering now whether this has anything to do with my lag problems on there. Im on the 4mg package too and I've tried absolutely everything on my PC involving hardware, software and drivers but it's still the same.