Wagner Love - A SpVgg Bayreuth Story

ahh well done so far only one loss how many leagues left till d bundesliga

At the moment I am playing in the forth tier, the last one of the multiple division leagues, where only the top spot gets promotion.

If I get the title it will be on to the single league 3.Liga at tier 3, then 2.Bundesliga and finally the top Bundesliga.

EDIT:

Man, with all the stuff I've written so far, one would think I deserved a second page on this thread....

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

JANUARY 2011 (continued)

Start of the transfer season has bidding us on a few players to join at the end of their contract, as I don't see the need to strengthen the squad at this point of the season - and risk upsetting the chemistry we have crated over the previous month.

We are also still in the running for nineteen year old French defender Loris Nery, whom we have offered to sign at the end of his contract, but with teams Recreativo and Hull after his signature, I put little faith in getting him.

The biggest scare at the moment comes in the form of Fevzi Kahraman. During the exciting months leading up to know I completely neglected to keep an eye on my own players contracts, and only a notification that various teams have offered him contracts pointed me towards the possibility of loosing one of my best players.

Needless to say I rushed to offer him an extension, with a significant wage increase, but for now, all I can do is wait for a decision.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

I opted to skip attending the friendlies my assistant Dietz had scheduled to attend some of the more boring aspects of backroom management that I am sure nobody would want to hear about.

picture.php

The match started relatively slow, with barely any action in troubling areas. Paul Koulibaly managed to connect with head from a corner kick to give us a somewhat fortunate lead at halftime.
After some nice passing moves, Fabio Lemes managed to separate himself from the last defender and beat the goalkeeper with a low shot in the corner to extend the lead to two goals early in the second half. Only minutes later the same set-up was almost repeated, this time with Rodriguinho breaking free, but he was brought down in the box before he could let go of the ball. Obhafuoso hit the keeper from the spotkick, but was first on the rebound and tucked it in.
Fabio Lemes was the center of two incidents, first being brought down in the box with no call and only minutes later having a goal disallowed.
Mannheim
clawed one back but it was too little too late.

Great match, and even better news that Fevzi Kahraman has agreed to his reworked three-year deal that will keep him at the Hans-Walter Wild stadium for the foreseeable future.

picture.php

As far as vitally important matches go, this was by far the vitally importantest...importantestes...ahh, you know what I mean.
The first half was an exciting display of attacking pressure from our side, with Stiefler almost scoring a freak goal from a floating cross, Obhafuoso only missing by inches and Fabio Lemes being denied by the woodwork after a deadly counter attack.
The second half saw much of the same with a few close chances for our side and the goal post preventing an upset on the other.
It was an exciting match against our closest contender in the table, and we maintained our eight point lead and remain comfortably on top.

We missed out on Loris Nery, as he decided to accept the offer from Recreativo - big surprise there, I guess.

picture.php

Second defeat of the season in a match that was very much winnable. The first half saw us teetering on the brink of scoring, but after halftime our players seemed to have switched off completely. The passes went [preferred deity here]-knows where and some of the shooting was inaccurate at best. Getting punished by a quick counter I had to switch to more attacking oriented play to salvage anything, but a confused game of footsies only lead to Geers putting the ball past our own goalkeeper after a botched clearance attempt.
A painful defeat against a strong team that is sitting at forth place and pressing forward, but at the moment we are still five points in the clear with a respectable goal difference to show for.

January was by far the worst month to date, with only one win, one draw and two painful defeats. I can only hope that my players have not suddenly realized they were never meant to perform as well as they did up to this point, and we can pick ourselves up and secure our ticket to the next higher division.

After a disappointing run I am reluctant to name a man of the month for me, but if you press me I would have to say Philip Obhafuoso for his command over the midfield.

After twenty-one games, the league looks like this:

---------- Post added at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:33 PM ----------

FEBRUARY 2011

picture.php

Nothing is better to return to winning ways as a home-game thrashing of a local rival.
The game was essentially early inthe first half.
Fabio Lemes scored only minutes in by re-directing a corner with a powerful header into the top corner. Another
powerful shot by Fabio Lemes' tested the keeper, who could only punch the ball away into the path of Philip Obhafuoso. Not one to miss a chance like that, he tucked in a powerful volley from the edge of the area.
Daniel Georgiev
completed the scoring not much later with a long-range effort.
The intensity decreased after the last goal, with a few more close tries, but no more scoring in a match that saw us prevent even a single shot directed at our gown goal.
Georgiev picked up the man of the match in a vitally morale-boosting encounter.

picture.php

An embarrassing low turn-out of just over two hundred spectators came to witness our showing at Nurnberg II. Overall it was a fairly even match, with an equal number of chances on either side. As in the previous encounter with our parent clubs B-Squad, it was their own player Stiefler who scored for us, although we couldn't prevent Nurnberg drawing level after each of them.
In all, I wish we had made our possession of over 60% and near flawless pass percentage account for more, but it was not meant to be on this cloudy afternoon.

picture.php

Our shrinking lead in the league table saw us face of against currently second placed Darmstadt. Although not given much chance to come out with anything by the bookmakers, we had a lot more chances than our opponents, but once again failed to tuck them away.
Too many great built-up plays ended in uninspired long-shots, and so it was Darmstadt that took the lead in the first half.
After telling the team exactly what I thought of their performance, we emerged more composed and really took the game to Darmstadt. The team effort was rewarded close to the final whistle after Georgiev kept his cool following a beautiful one-two pass to best the keeper with a low placed shot.
I feel we could have won, but by getting the point - and by denying Darmstadt the victory - we kept a two game lead in the league, which certainly accounts for something.

We played a number of tough games since the new year started, and although we couldn't continue our magnificent run of the first few month, we are still going strong at the top of the table.

Two more scouts have joined our staff, and I am looking forward to their expertise to find the best players available to us so we are prepared for wherever we end up come next season.

On a side note, it does seem that the club is getting some more momentum and growth in stature. One evidence is the steadily increasing number of supporters that come out on game day.
Another, more subtle indicator is the quality of players that we are, at least in theory, able to attract. My scouts and me managed to unearth a few more players whose contract is running out soon, and although the best targets we had in mind signed up with Manchester City, Hull City and Recreativo, the fact that they were even willing to listen to our offers shows that we are on the rise.

My internal player of the month is a tie between Daniel Georgiev and Manuel Stiefler, who both impressed over the last few games.

After twenty-four games, and a few more dropped points, the table looks like this:

Last edited:
Still on top (H)

MARCH 2011

March started with the signing of three new players that I hope to better evaluate during a few friendlies that I scheduled during the off-weeks in the coming months.
Unfortunately, they can't be registered for the current campaign, but they look good for next season, and the added time in the squad should help them blend into the team during the rest of the season.
We signed Giacomo Bonaventura, a twenty-one year old midfielder formerly of Atalanta, former Tottenham goalkeeper, nineteen-year old Mirko Ranieri who I've been told is likely to develop well, and former Jupiter league player Christian Bruels, a twenty two year old attacking midfielder.

picture.php

Six minuted in and some beautiful passing moves allowed Georgiev to advance as far as inside the six-yard box before tucking away the match opener. Philip Obhafuoso added another one at the half-hour mark after fooling two defenders and scoring with his weaker foot.
Koulibaly almost got lucky in the second half with a long-range effort from 40 yards out, but the crossbar denied what would have been a spectacular goal.
Bamberg turned up the pressure valve, but anything that wasn't picked up by the defenders provided no problems for a confident looking Pentke in goal.
A late goal by Bamberg put our position in jeopardy, but the defense held tight to hold on to the lead until full-time.

A game that was certainly closer than I would have liked was nevertheless enough to keep the lead over second place in the league intact. With nine games left in the league we are still on track to achieve the impossible.

A pleasant side-note to the match is that at least half of the spectators during this fixture were fans of our own team.

picture.php

A friendly by-week fixture against last seasons bane Grossbardorf provided a great opportunity to try out some of our new signings, as well as provide some playing time for designated substitutes. Just minutes after Grossbardorf pulled in front, new signing Giacomo Bonaventura tucked away his first attempt in a Bayreuth jersey. Once more we negated Mantliks second goal on the other end when Rodriguinhos powerful shot proved too much for the keeper. After almost an hour of fairly uneventful football, Lucas Winck scored a placed shot for the final score in his first showing after a long-term injury.

All considered, a good display of a second string team, only intermittently featuring a handful of my regular starters.

picture.php

I wish I could draw any positives out of this match, but it was just awful to watch.
Except a handful of attempts that even reached the goal there was nothing happening for us, with poor attempts that were wide enough to stretch the definition of what can even be considered a shot. On the other end, poor defending led to two very avoidable goals.

March was quite a short month with only two league fixtures played.
The last scheduled match had been re-arranged to early next month due to international obligations: homegrown talent Fevzi Kahraman was called up to the Germany U-19 squad, but remained an unused substitute.

On other notes, I declined offers from both Wolfsburg and Nurnberg after they had parted ways with their current managers and denied any interest on my part in other clubs by responding to several rumors and speculations.

Still on top, but the lead is shrinking fast, as you all can see:

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 AM ----------

APRIL 2011

The month started with s solid showing against semi-professional football outfit Rathenow in a mid-week friendly fixture.
Once again a good opportunity for my unregistered new signings to show their skill, but I played a stronger side this time around to build up confidence among my squad for the coming fixtures.
I can only hope the deserved 4-0 final result is having a positive effect on my starting eleven.

picture.php

For the most part a very drab match, with little happening on either side. Probably the best chance came when Lucas Winck somehow managed to miss the goal from point-blank range after a perfect cross by Stiefler. Ever-present Fabio Lemes eventually put one away to record the only goal of the match.
Certainly not the best performance of the season, but after last months dire run a definite improvement.

picture.php

Only three days after the last match, this was always going to be a tough fixture against third-places 1860 Munchen II.
Heavy downpour made for a rather poor match in the first half, with many stoppages, missed passes and uninspired attempts in attack. The second half saw us perform with a little more confidence and the efforts were rewarded when Rodriguinho beat the offside trap to score a placed shot. Seemingly demotivated 1860 Munchen II then had to watch powerless as Philip Obhafuoso scored a freak goal from the edge of the area that bounced twice between keeper and woodwork before rolling in.
It seems we are starting to regain some momentum in our promotion bid, with six games to go were are still somewhat comfortably ahead in the table.

Rodriguinhos goal ended his incredibly long scoring-drought of just over fifteen hours, in case you were keeping tabs.

picture.php

Although Mainz II had failed to record a single victory this season, and was already relegated, I refused to field a weak line-up for this fixture.
It's hard to believe the score was level at halftime, in match that took place entirely in the oppositions half up to that point. However, Rodriguinho seemed to suddenly remember how to score by first dribbling past three defenders before burying the ball at close range and later finishing off a perfect passing move with his second goal.
Stiefler was also finally rewarded with his great play on and off the ball by seizing on a botched clearance attempt with his first and connecting with a volley from a narrow angle for his second score.

The month finished off with another friendly fixture against lower league club Dynamo Berlin that ended in a rather solid 3-1 victory.

An unexpected blow came late in the month when my assistant manager Dietz announced his retirement at the end of the season.

April turned out to be a rather successful month, winning all three of our league fixtures, despite a not always convincing performance. With only a handful of matches left, we are looking in great shape.

It's quite stressful at work at the moment, with an important deadline coming up in a few weeks, so I have lots of overtime and whatnot, and the little time I play is not enough to write a proper summary for this story.
I'm not abandoning this or anything, I just don't think I will be able to update this story until the coming weekend. Just FYI.

Micky

So, as promised, a few more updates.
I managed to play quite a few games since the last update, more than two season to be more precise, so there will be tons of stuff to add. Hope I can catch up once again to game-time.
Enjoy the following updates.

Micky

MAY 2011

We are still going strong but the performances on the whole are starting to look a lot less convincing than they did earlier in the season. Another five games to go, and I am hopeful that our six point lead will be enough to see us through to the end of the season, awarding us the only promotion spot n the league.

picture.php

A rather lackluster performance with our apparently favored strategy of shoot often, hit rarely saw us drop the two points in this game. Rodriguinho gave us the lead with a great individual effort, but sloppy finishing and prevented us to increase the lead.
A slip in an otherwise solid defense caused us to concede a late goal from Weidens only clear chance in the game up to that point. Despite being quite clearly the better team on the pitch we were still somewhat lucky to not loose the game in injury time as a decisive breakaway of the opposition ended up on the crossbar.

picture.php

We really came out running this game, to prove that we were on the top for a reason. Once more, the chances were there, but the ball flew past the target too often, and the defense was up to the task.
I'm glad the team talk at half-time did it's job, as we looked a lot more composed in all areas of the pitch. Rodriguinho capitalized on the confusion in the box after Georgiev lobbed in a free-kick to give us the lead shortly after kick-off. Minutes later, Muhammed Basar scored his first ever goal for our side from a narrow angle after Georgiev opened up the defense with his great pass playing.
A rather questionable decision allowed Obhafuonso to complete the scoring with a spot kick.

After last weeks quite disappointing performance, this game was exactly what we needed, both in terms of the vital points and as a means to increase the team morale, which had been dropping constantly over the last few weeks.

_________________________________________________ _______________________

The following week saw us face off against Konstanz in a friendly fixture. It was some much needed rest to recover from the various small injuries and knocks that have accumulated lately.
It ended in a solid 2-0 victory that my assistant oversaw while I was traveling the country to take a look at some more possible targets for nest season whose contracts were about to expire.

In the DFB-Pokal finals, Leverkusen beat Hoffenheim 1-0 for the title, so I guess we can take pride in the fact that although we lost in the first round, at least we lost against the team that went on to win it in the end.

picture.php

Another game that we should have won, and by a big margin. After Fabio Lemes surprised the entire defensive line to score our fastest goal ever, we were unable to cash in on our dominance, and were ultimately punished again by the only shot that Reutlingen managed to get even near our goal.

The biggest blow was undoubtedly the injury to one of our best players in midfield, Daniel Georgiev, who will miss the rest of the season. I hope the team can cope with his absence.

picture.php

You just got to love the estimate...between 8 weeks and 2 month....what?

picture.php

With only two games to go, and our lead shrunk to two points, this was a vital game against an opponent that I considered one of the strongest in the league, despite their lowly position on the table. It was a closely fought battle for sure, with us holding much of the possession, but Hoffenheim being deadly on the counter.
Fabio Lemes eventually gave us the lead after half-time before setting up the play that let his strike partner Rodriguinho put his name on the score sheet only minutes later.
Hoffenheim II pounded on our side after that, and managed to claw one back, but our defense remained solid and let us record a very vital win in the end.

May has seen us play four games and drop as many points, shrinking our lead to only two points in the table, as Darmstadt won all of their games rather convincingly.
There's only a single game left against a very beatable opponent, Ulm, and our solid goal difference should guarantee promotion if we manage not to loose the last fixture.

I am hopeful, but stranger things have happened.....

On a side note, our very own home-grown talent Fevzi Kahraman has played his first ever fixture in the Germany Under-19 squad. I suppose it will become harder to keep holding on to him in the coming season.

picture.php

The league table after 33 games in the Regionalliga:

leagues tight but i believe in the lads
lets rally the troops and see off Darmstadt

JUNE 2011

One game to go, one last push for glory. Are we up for it, you ask?
Well, see for yourself....

Wow, what a season we had, and I'm still shaking at the thought of it.
I received tons of emails, and I wouldn't want to hold out on sharing some of them with you, so here we go:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It was a fantastic season, no doubt, and despite knowing we had a strong team I was not sure if we had what it takes to win the league. It's really challenging to play in a league where there's only one real winner, no runners-up, and a run of only a few bad games can cost you everything you worked so hard for.

Next season will be a little more forgiving, with a league that holds twenty teams, with two automatic and one play-off promotion spots. We signed a few great players during mid-season that I hope will be able to make a huge contribution to the team, and I am certainly looking forward to finally getting some money to make transfers.

In closing, here's our best eleven, the league team of the year and the final table.
I will be back son with the Post-Season/Pre-Season report after I caught my breath.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

PRESEASON 2011/2012

After some much needed rest, the new season is about to start.
I am still very much enjoying live at the club, but I am getting increasingly frustrated by the board leadership.
We played a number of very high-profile clubs on our own turf, and made close to half a million in profits from the gate receipts alone, yet I was given even less for transfers than last season, six thousand Euros to be precise, only a drop in the bucket to balance my wage bill.

With all the profit from the friendlies, and another six hundred thousand for TV rights, the board once again showed their uncanny ability to screw things up with this:

picture.php

Naturally, I rushed to offer him a new contract, with all the money available to me to try to sway him to stay. He's by far my best player, and can only get better at his tender age, but to no avail as you can see:

picture.php

So, not only did the board sell off my best player without even consulting me (for far less than I believe he is really worth), but to top it all off, I only get a miserable 10% of the transfer money to try to fill the gaping hole in my defense.

In any case, this year saw us with the most action in the transfer window we ever had up to this point. We let go a number of players who weren't even up to the task last year, sold a few that could be replaced with players demanding cheaper wages and got a number of good free transfers once again.

picture.php

I forgot to take a screenshot at the beginning of the season, so this one shows all the transfers, including the ones made later up to January.
Georgiev, one of my best players last year, was getting old and not playing very well by mid-season, and despite him being still valued quite high, I was unable to get any money for him as no team in a position to play him was willing to pay his wages, so I'm glad I got rid of him at all.
Micky

I decided to loan Manuel Stiefler once again, as he was outstanding last year, and added another one from Nurnberg to bolster my defense. Naturally, I tried to loan Fevzi Kahraman back, but to no avail. Bar none the two biggest captures are Robert Zeher, a great striker whom I got for 65k compensation fee, and Wilmer Meza, and unbelievably talented goalkeeper prospect. Paul Koulibaly was a hard one to sell, and I would have very much liked to keep him, but with the limit of only three non-EU players that I was allowed to have in my quad, he was the weakest of the three I already had, and I needed the slot for Meza.
Teixeira and Focher were brought in to fulfill the required number of German Under-23 spots, and are certainly better than anything I had in my own youth ranks.
Also playing will be Giacomo Bonaventura, whom I signed last season, but who was not eligible to play until now.

My backroom saw a period of great transition as well, I swayed Brendan O'Connell to become my assistant and replace almost all of my coaching staff with more experienced guys.
Once again I hired a lot of talented scouts whose main area of expertise lay outside the regions the board allowed me to scout, to add a wider breadth to our effort to get the best possible players available to us.

My key signings for the coming season:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The pre-season saw us face off against a lot of high-profile clubs, creating great revenue, and a lot of similar or lower stature clubs to prepare for what's lying a head.
The greatest surprise came undoubtedly in the form of our, somewhat lucky, victory against our parent club Nurnberg.
Another great display was against Holstein Kiel, whom we beat convincingly with 4-1, a great result against a team that will be sharing the league with us in the coming months.

All said and done, I am looking forward to the coming season, and I am confident that we can surprise one or two of the pessimists that once again predicted we will finish dead last in the league with little chance at all.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Without further ado, I bring to you

German 3.Liga 2011

JULY 2011

July will see us play only two games, but in the space of three days, so I am a little concerned whether or not I have enough depth in my squad to counter the inevitable match fatigue. I do hope my new signings will blend into the squad quite fast and that we can compete against some rather strong opposition in the coming campaign. I am excited how far we've come, and I refuse to be relegated again straight away.

picture.php

The game started great for us, with new signing Phillippe Montandon putting every single one of his impressive 190 cm into a booming header from the corner to give us the lead. A stupid and unnecessary tackle by Bacci then allowed Aue to equalize from the spot to finish the scoring for the day.
In all, we were playing rather well against a strong team, and the result was fair for both team, but the two week injury to Montandon is sure to put a big task on my already thin defensive line.

picture.php

It was a hard-fought battle on this breezy July evening, with even chances on both sides and neither side deserving to loose. We went down one goal early in the match, and it took us over an hour of hard work to draw even with Robert Zehers first ever goal in a Bayreuth jersey when he outplayed the keeper in a one-on-one and ran around him to place the ball low in the corner. A complete breakdown in defense saw us go down once again before Bruels outmuscled two defenders to head in his first ever goal for us in extra time.

We faced two strong teams and a further friendly fixture in this short month - a convincing 6-0 victory over lower league Zittau, featuring a superb hat-trick by Fabio Lemes - and despite not winning in the league, I am pleased at what I have seen from my players.
We are certainly not as bad as any of the media pundits make us out to be, and I believe we can spring a surprise or two once my new signings settle in better.

So far, so good:

picture.php

AUGUST 2011

Having a relatively small team with very few back-ups - a side effect of ridiculously small wage budgets - is sure to put a big strain on my team in August, a month that has us play no less than six games against some very strong teams.

picture.php

Close to five thousand spectators came out to see us play a very tight game in which we struggled at times to keep the score even after a fantastic Unterhaching goal and Robert Zehers equalizer. Chances were plenty on either side, and had it not been for some very solid defending this game could have easily become one high-scoring affair.
I can't really be too disappointed with the final result, and it's early in the season, but we need to start winning games.

picture.php

Undefeated no more, in a game that we could have won had it not been for a second string defense, with both of my starting center backs watching from the stands with injuries.
Philip Obhafuosos penalty kick was countered on the other end with two quickfire scores before we even finished celebrating our own goal.
We fought back bravely, and were not only once denied by the woodwork, but the score stayed the same, and we left the pitch with our first defeat in the record books.

Luckily, both my starting defenders will be back for the next match, so I hope we can stay tighter in the back come next game.

picture.php

Scoring twice doesn't count for much if it's not in the same goal, so we were once again held to a draw. Bruels was unlucky that his second score of the season was an own goal, but he picked himself up instead of hanging his head in shame and was an instrumental part in the play that let Fabio Lemes even the score close to half-time.
Having two goals disallowed in the second half certainly didn't help our confidence in yet another match that was very much ours for the taking.

picture.php

After six fixtures played, we were finally able to record our first victory in a match in which we weren't given much chance before kick-off.
Rodriguinho came in and tucked in a weakly parried Zeher shot for the first goal before Georgiev reaped the rewards of some impeccable passing in midfield by getting his name on the scoreboard.
Although I played a little more defensively in the second half we still had a number of chances and it could have easily ended with a few more goals on our tally, but getting the first win of the season will leave me no room to complain.
On the whole, it was a great team performance, and hopefully mark the end of a rather disappointing start to the season.

picture.php

Against dead-last Heidenheim, I was hoping for a bit more than what we ended up with. It took us over half an hour to finally cash in on numerous chances when Robert Zeher once more showed his skill on the ball by dribbling past two defenders and a dumbstruck goalkeeper to score the only goal of the match. It was all us, all of the match, and I swear I saw some of Heidenheims players close to tears at their inability to get the ball back from us, but the score remained the same until the final whistle.
I'm glad we kept the run going, but if I have to be honest, only one goal against that team is some kind of a let-down.

picture.php

There's just no better way to finish a tough month than completely trashing one of the league favorites on their own turf. I suppose they were expecting a walk in the park, and the match was clearly over before they even knew what hit them.
Josue scored his first ever goal for us, Obhafuoso added to the tally not much later and Offenbach just rolled over and cried uncle.
Robert Zeher was denied a hat-trick several times in the second half after his first two great goals, but he showed himself as a team-player by relinquishing his scoring chance in favor of a superb assist to Fabio Lemes, who calmly tucked the ball away to round off an amazing team performance.

After a rough start to the month the team was showing a lot of improvement in the later games, the key performances undoubtedly by Robert Zeher, who is blending in superbly.
Three wins in a row is not a bad way to end a month, and we have clawed our way up to the top third of a very tight league table at this point in the campaign.
Despite the draws and the loss, so far I haven't seen a team that I would consider unbeatable although we haven't played any of the top teams yet.

picture.php

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

SEPTEMBER 2011

Thankfully, September will see us only play three games, starting with almost two weeks without any fixtures, so we will have time to regain match-fitness.
Oddly enough, we were left out of the DFB Pokal this year with no one really knowing why.
With the prize money of a single win in that competition covering an entire two months' wages, this is certainly a blow to my ambitions.
However, with the amount of money we brought in in the early season through friendlies and transfers, I have absolutely no qualms about overstretching my wage budget to breaking point.
If I can't get more money for players that can compete, I will use the sneaky way of offering astronomical sign-on bonuses that aren't part of my budget, and with over a million of profits from the early season, it will take some time to whittle away our surplus in the books.

picture.php

Both teams hit the ground running in this game, with three goals being scored in the space of only five minutes, and it turned into a very even match for the most part.
We finally managed to cash in on our scoring opportunities, and turned more than half of our shots on target into goals in a game that featured an amazing hat-trick by Fabio Lemes and two beautiful goals by ever-present Robert Zeher.

The team is finally coming together, and at this point I don't really see any part of my team that I would want to improve upon.

picture.php

Here was a match to call all the odds-makers liars, with the two teams predicted to be at the bottom of table fighting for the top spot in the league.
For the most part, we were completely outplayed, and had it not been for simply stellar performances in defense and particularly in goal, this game could have very well ended as a heavy defeat.
However, it was not to be, and Robert Zeher managed to swoop past the defense late in the game to put away the match winner.
I'm the first to admit that we really didn't deserve the win today, even a draw would have been favorable to us, but after all the games in the early season that we should have won and didn't it's certainly nice to be the ones who got the lucky result.

picture.php

Back on our home turf, and with obviously increasing fan support, we were yet again able to play a very dominant game that was never much in doubt. Ahlen looked very weak in attack and despite having quite a few shots early on, they were never much more than warm-up practice for our keeper.
Rodriguinho showed his amazing pace at the half-hour mark to leave the entire defensive line far behind him before beating the keeper and Obhafuoso surprised everyone on the pitch with an unstoppable long-range volley just before halftime.
The second half was a good display as well, but I decided to opperate a little more defensive and give playing time to my back-up players to keep them happy.

September was a great month, with the winning streak now numbering six games in a row, and we have climbed to within the promotion zone on the table.
Naturally, I am worried that we might be getting too confident and start dropping in a downward spiral to the places we were always predicted to end up, but it's looking good so far.
The table is taking shape now, and everyone is getting some idea what teams are the ones to beat, and it won't be long now until we have to face off against them.

OCTOBER 2011

Four fixtures are to be played in October and the dressing room morale is at an all-time high.
The media is stating that it's only a matter of time until we run ouf steam and sink back into mid-table obscurity and lower.
I am determined to prove them all wrong, but it is my players that need to do the heavy lifting.
I brought in two more highly recommended coaches to help my training routines, but our facilities are so far off standard that I am honestly ashamed to tell anyone about them.
Naturally, we have no funds to improve them, but that doesn't mean I am stopping to pester the board at every opportunity to improve them.

picture.php

After getting the lucky win against Essen last month I suppose the keepers of the cosmic balance stepped in and allowed Paderborn to score on every single one of their only four shots on goal during the entire game.
It certainly didn't help that we didn't even start playing to at least half of our potential before we had conceded the four goals, and despite a strong second half, Manuel Stieflers and Robert Zehers goals proved only consolation.
Just about the only positive I can take from this game is the fact that once we started to play, we were never giving up hope to draw level, as evidenced by the late goal in stoppage time and an unlucky bounce of the crossbar even after that.

picture.php

A record crowd of 6642 spectators saw Robert Zeher finally score his much deserved hat-trick for our side in a great come-back performance after going down after only 8 minutes.
The team was determined to not let last weeks disappointing result be the start of the downfall, and we played what was probably the best football all season.

Munster is certainly not the strongest team in the league, but provided a much needed confidence boost before we face Saarbrucken next week in a very tough challenge.

picture.php

Yet again, we were not given much chance by the bookmakers, and yet again we proved them all wrong by completely running the midfield and making more of our chances count.
What I initially thought to be a very tough fixture turned out to be a quite dominant win from my squad, leaving no doubt who was the stronger team.
Robert Zeher picked up one more man of the match award for his outstanding performance, getting two goals and one assist in our newly started winning streak.

picture.php

We are really starting to roll now, and every game we play at home we seem to be breaking the attendance record, now standing at 7631 for league fixtures.
Despite going down early after a brief period of being dominated, we took complete ownership of the match from that point on, equalizing almost immediately and not letting off thereafter.
Robert Zeher showed once more class by scoring once and setting up two more goals, one for strike partner Fabio Lemes and then for substitute striker Lucas Winck, who managed to score two goals in only fifteen minutes of playing time, enough to secure his man of the match award.

October started with a shaky performance, but I couldn't be more proud of my guys for not letting it shake them and finish off with three straight wins, enough to catapult us to the top spot with a solid goal difference to show for.
I think it's becoming quite clear that while we have much to improve upon in defense our impeccable strike force gives us a chance against any opponent we are facing.
However, the performances of Daniel Georgiev are beginning to worry me, and I might need to look to replace him rather sooner than later.

picture.php

Well a fantastic read and no doubt an unbelievable few seasons you've had, Let's hope you continue the success eh? ;)

Just a quick side-note. What leagues have you loaded? And have you done any database edits since just reading this story inspires me to do a game of my own, a little tired of english football at the minute. :)

Keep it up.

Last edited:
NOVEMBER 2011

November will see us play only three fixtures, the toughest one arguably being against high-flying Union Berlin.
There's only four teams left that we haven't played in the season (three if you can count the friendly against Kiel in pre-season), and from what I have seen so far I am starting to believe that we could actually achieve the unthinkable and be in contention for promotion at the end of the campaign.
I certainly don't want to jump the gun here, but so far, with the exception of the match against Essen, there was not a single team that I would consider superior to our side.

picture.php

Looking at the statistics, this game was about as even as you can get - even possession, even chances, both on and off target, and all-round a fairly balanced affair.
It doesn't take a genius to predict that an early injury to your key player can affect a team badly, and after Robert Zeher left the pitch in pain after 15 minutes the team looked rather nervous. Manuel Stiefler stepped up and scored a beautiful placed shot to give us the lead, and once again immediately after conceding the equalizer, but the team never looked completely confident.
So it came to no big surprise that our defense folded late in the game and let in two goals that we were unable to undo at the other end of the pitch, once more ending our winning streak.

Not only a very avoidable defeat, but our star striker being injured for three weeks made this one of the worst games of the season so far. I hope my second string strikers can step in and keep the scoring alive and well.

picture.php

Bottom-table Kiel almost proved a stumbling block for our attack, left rather toothless in a game in which we prevented even a single shot on goal at our end.
On the other half of the pitch we only managed to cause any danger with two of our over twenty-five shots on goal, and Rodriguinho finally remembered the scoring days of last season and tucked away the only goal in a rather dull game.
With Robert Zeher still out of contest for the next match, I was really hoping to get some momentum from a match against a rather weak opponent, but it turned out we were quite lucky to get the win at all.

picture.php

I was bracing myself for our second defeat this month, with many starters out for this match, and it didn't look good for us, being two goals down after only twenty minutes of playing time.
A slight tweak in tactics and mentality finally saw us getting more of the match, and a somewhat lucky penalty decision had us cut the deficit to only one goal by half-time.
Although we were having better chances in the second half, and limiting Union Berlin to uncoordinated wide-shots on our end, we were almost left without any points.
Markus Felfernig eventually scored the late equalizer in extra time after coming off the bench only minutes earlier.
Ultimately, a draw was a fair result on this day.

Not the best month for us so far, but so is football. The other teams in the run have played fairly similar performances, and so we are still stay at the top of the table, although our goal difference has shrunk considerably from only three weeks ago.
It's becoming apparent that while I believe to have a real gem of a player in my team, in the form of Robert Zeher, the second striker and the backups are simply not quite up to the task of filling in for him when needed.
So far, my scouts have not provided me with any good addition in that area of the team, at least not one that we can afford, and although we found a great and promising young Russian striker that will join us shortly, he is not yet up to the standard of first-team duty.

It's turning out to be a very tight affair in the league, where one bad game can cause the top spot t stumble down to mid-table, but at least it looks like many strong teams in the run can keep the the ones in check without any one or two teams running of, leaving the rest of the field behind in the dust.

picture.php

DECEMBER 2011

Another short, three match month ahead to end the first round of matches before we head into the winter break.
My scouts managed to find a pretty good goalkeeper from Vitesse, Sebastiaan van der Sman, who has become so unhappy at his lack of first-team football that we were able to sign him for free in early January.
I'm confident he will become a great boost to my defense, with Jan Schloesser becoming less and less reliable in recent games.
Wilmer Meza will still be my first choice in years to come, I believe, but he joined us a day too late and is as of yet unregistered, and even when we can add him to the first team in January, I do not want to run the risk of burning him out at his tender age.

picture.php

Burghausen, being predicted to win the league and struggling at mid-table, proved to be a very formidable opponent, and one that was almost too much for us to handle.
The game was mostly fought in midfield, and although we had most of the possession, we were simply unable to break down the defense.
Some deadly passing finally allowed Josue to score for our side, but an almost identical play on the other end negated the goal only ten minutes later.
The game went on much the same as before, with very few chances, and neither side being able to make anything happen in the final third of the pitch.

picture.php

The bad run continued with this match, one we were completely outclassed in for much of the proceedings. We never looked likely to take the game, the passing was inaccurate and although we had a number of chances, the finishing was uninspired and missed the mark too often.
At least we never gave up and rolled over, and so we managed a late goal, but it did little to prevent me from screaming at my team until my throat hurt once we were back in the dressing room.

picture.php

Two more points were dropped in a fairly average game when our defense completely switched off close to the end and allowed Osnabrueck to draw level from their only clear-cut chance of the game.
I can't really say much about the game, as there was simply not much to tell, but as far as draws go, this one will go down in my book as a loss, as we had it, and let it go.

Our bad run continued all the way into December and on to the new year, with getting only two points from our last two matches, and dropping back out of the promotion spots.
I can only hope the rest over the winter weeks and some good results in our friendly fixtures can help us regain the form and confidence we demonstrated in the earlier parts of the season, and become contenders for the title once more.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Well a fantastic read and no doubt an unbelievable few seasons you've had, Let's hope you continue the success eh? ;)

Just a quick side-note. What leagues have you loaded? And have you done any database edits since just reading this story inspires me to do a game of my own, a little tired of english football at the minute. :)

Keep it up.

Thanks. To answer the question, I didn't do any database edits for this one, but I downloaded a custom database that adds German leagues down to tier 5, where I started.
I loaded quite a few leagues, most of Europe and select leagues from the rest of the world.
I think it's about 70 leagues altogether, so the game gets rather slow at times, but at least it allows me to get good players at a very low level that otherwise would be regens.

If you do want to try some outside England save, I can only encourage you to do so, it's the most fun I had in a long, long time. I usually play Leeds in 9 out 10 saves, s this was something special.
I particularly like the lack of any work permits I have to deal with, I can sign pretty much whoever I want, which is a great bonus.

Micky

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

JANUARY 2012

The old year concluded, and the new year started with yet another string of friendly fixtures.
Despite my hefty overdrawing of the wage budget I showed some goodwill to the board by arranging two more high-profile friendlies that brought in just under 400k in gate receipts.

Off course, my request for more transfer budget fell on deaf ears, but by now I only make those requests to annoy rather than hoping for a miracle.

We played some more low-profile fixtures that might very well help boost our plummeting morale, but I decided my time is better spend in the office than on the side-lines, so I let my assistant handle them.

picture.php

January will also finally enable us to register Wilmer Meza for the squad, and my new first choice keeper for the time being, van der Sman is also set to arrive.
To reduce the wage bill a little bit I transferred Georgiev for free, as he was playing worse by the minute, and also Tim Schwartz since I simply don't have the money to spend on someone who's not even good enough for the bench.

In case you were wondering, my new-years resolution was to scream a little less at my team and to give the referees the benefit of the doubt at least one out of three times.
Let's see how that works out....

picture.php

We started the new year just as we left off - average.
It was a match that was quite boring to watch, with none of the great play that saw us rise to the table and too much of the play that saw us sink back down.
Only Fabio Lemes seemed up for the task today, scoring a beautiful goal after we had gone down earlier in the first half.

I was really hoping for more after some great performances from the earlier friendly fixtures, and only one new addition to the squad that could possibly upset the team chemistry.
I am still convinced that we have just a bad run, and we can return to winning ways instead of this being our real level of ability and the glimpses of brilliance we showcase earlier in the season were just a fluke.

After the end of January, with twenty-two games being played, we are slowly dropping on the league table. It is still a very tight affair on the top, but the difference has grown to more than one game to reach the promotion spots.
Although we are in no eminent danger of falling into the relegation zone we were said to end up in I can't feel too happy about where we are at the moment.

picture.php

FEBRUARY 2012

With much of the season gone, we need to pick up our game once more.
I took the time to fiddle with our tactics, and while still playing the same formation of the last two years, I think I tweaked it to better reflect my players strengths and abilities.
It shouldn't take too long to catch on, and I can only hope we get some results sooner rather than later.

picture.php

The icy weather saw only a small crowd of just under five-thousand turn up to watch a game in which we clearly dominated almost every aspect of the game, but failed once more to make many of our chances count. A deflected ball that only hit the woodwork was the highlight of the first half, before pacey striker Rodriguinho stepped up to score the only goal of the match.
It was no doubt a vital victory, even more so against a team higher in the table.that we were hereby able to put back behind us to climb to fifth place.

picture.php

I am starting to feel a lot better now, as we managed to record our second straight win with yet another dominant performance. We were threatening almost from the start, and rewarded when Robert Zeher managed to score after a drought of over six games prior to today.
Many more chances were thwarted by an amazing Kassel goalkeeper, who was ultimately beaten once more by Rodriguinho close to the final whistle.

I'm glad to see the morale amongst the players steadily climbing back up to good levels, and the understanding I have seen between them on the pitch leaves me hopeful for the coming fixtures.

picture.php

If you were reading closely, I don't have to tell you how important this result was. Erfurt has shaped up into one of the top contenders, sitting at the top of the table at the beginning of the match, so to win today could very well be a defining moment for what is still to come.
Although the chances were fairly evenly spread between the two teams, some impeccable goalkeeping kept the ball out of our net, or was picked up by our defense before it could even get there.
Two goals for us within the half-hour mark put the pressure on Erfurt and allowed us to drop deeper and threaten with counters instead of going balls-to-the-wall and risking injuries.
Eventually, Leonardo Bacci scored his first ever goal, rising above all the other defenders to direct a corner kick with his head into the corner of the goal.

picture.php

The forth victory in a row, and a return to glory for Robert Zeher with a spectacular hat-trick in this match.
Although I was quite confident going into this fixture against a team struggling to stay out of the relegation zone, they certainly put up a good fight.
After going up by three goals in the first half they seemed like a new team after half-time and were taking the game to us. Had it not been for some fantastic saves by Wilmer Meza, starting in his first ever league game for us, it could have easily ended in a draw, with us being confined to our own half for much of the remainder of the match.

February was yet another great month. We were able to end our poor run of late and win all four of our games, two of them against teams higher in the table, and put ourselves back in contention. Just as poor morale was a problem before, I am afraid of over-confidence creeping in now to make us stumble.
With only twelve games left, we are looking in good shape, but with the leage table being as tightly packed as ever, I don't think we can survive another bad spell as we had late last year.

MARCH 2012

March is yet another packed month, with six matches to be played, and my biggest worry, despite loosing of course, is that both match and season fatigue are going to wreak havok on my very small squad.

My backroom and scouting activities were relatively quiet, with the exception of a seventeen year-old Ukrainian midfielder, highly recommended by my top scout, that we managed to sign for next season.

picture.php

This was quite likely the second game of the season that we should have lost, but didn't.
The brief spell of dominance that culminated in Fabio Lemes scoring from close range was enough to win the match for us, and only a man of the match performance by van der Sman in goal prevented us from loosing this match, in front of yet another record crowd of over 8000 spectators.

picture.php

This was our second lucky result in a row, being on the back-foot for much of it against a team that were really taking the game to us. It almost looked like an exact repeat of last weeks fixture, but this time we failed to weather the storm and conceded the equalizer late in the first half.
We came out more composed after half-time, but Dresden was defending too tightly for us to get anywhere near another goal.
No doubt I would have loved to keep the winning streak alive, but to be honest, we were lucky to escape with one point.

The biggest blow was undoubtedly the possibly season-ending injury to my first-choice playmaker Obhafuoso, who fractured his wrist in the second half, a massive blow to my ambitions.

picture.php

Top-seated RW Essen somehow managed to steal this game from us, despite us having the upper hand in almost all aspects of the game, except the most vital one - putting you chances away. Oh, and matching the asking price of the referee, as we had a staggering three goals disallowed. Even the FA looked away in shame as I told the football world exactly what I felt about letting blind people officiate matches.
This game could prove to be a massive blow, as we once more dropped from the top with this result.

picture.php

Determined to prove that we can win games with only eleven players on our side, we came out to play in this match. Ahlen is certainly not the strongest team in the league, battling relegation at the bottom of the table, but a great way to shrug of a bad match from the week before.
We were always pressing and challenging but it took over an hour to record the only goal, courtesy of Manuel Stiefler, to get the deserved victory.

picture.php

With only four days since the last game I was forced to play a fairly weak side against Paderborn, to rest players for the much tougher Munster game in only three days time.
Most notably was the absence of Zeher, who was completely spent after the Ahlen fixture, and so our finishing left a lot to be desired.
Josue really stepped up in the playmaker role, left vacant by the injured Obhafuoso, and got a goal and an assist to Fabio Lemes to earn himself the man of the match.

picture.php

The third game within the space of only one week was not one for the purists. Lacking energy from my players led to some poor play and despite leading until late in the game after Bonaventuras first ever goal for us and a great Fabio Lemes score, we very simply too exhausted to prevent Munster from stealing the game from us in the closing minutes.

It was a close-fought match, and I would have been content with a draw, but the loss really hurt, both in terms of on-pitch performance and in regards to the league table.

March was a mixed bag for us, two wins, as many losses and a draw, and only fairly similar performances by our closest rivals in the league have prevented it from becoming a complete disaster.
We are still very much in the running for the title, but with only six games left, there's not much room for error in the coming month.

picture.php

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 03:58 PM ----------

APRIL 2012

April will see us play five fixtures, all of vital importance.
I hope we can bounce back from last weeks defeat, but I do believe we are still very much alive in the promotion race.
My squad is almost at full health and everybody seems quite motivated.
What is even better is that a lot of the last fixtures will see the other teams at the top play each other, nicking vital points of each other, no doubt, and allow us to overtake at least one of them if we play well in our own games.

picture.php

A sizable crowd watched us return to winning ways against mid-table Saarbrucken.
Although they had more possession of the ball during much of the game, we didn't allow them to do anything with it.
Growing obviously frustrated at our tight defense they became careless in the back and allowed a quickfire double by Rodriguinho to decide the match even before half-time.
We pressed even more after the break and had a number more chances in our attempt to close the gap in goal difference between us and RW Essen, but it was not to be.
A missed spot kick by Fabio Lemes was about the only moot point in an otherwise outstanding performance.

picture.php

No doubt that their lowly stature and our solid win in our first meeting with Wehen caused us to think of this match as a done deal even before the kick-off.
I'm not taking myself out of this assessment as I played a rather weak team to keep my starters fit, and it cost us dearly. We never got the game under control and played rather nervously for the most part. At times we were on the brink of scoring, but ultimately it was the inexperience of my defensive line that allowed Wehen to score the only goal of the match to end a winning streak before it got started.

picture.php

More dropped points in a match that saw us go down one goal even before the stadium announcer finished reading the line-ups. We pressed on after that, but it became apparent that Sandhausen decided to wait this one out as good as they could, as they dropped deep and just shut up shop in the back.
Fabio Lemes was finally able to break down the tight defense with a curling shot from the edge of the area, but even a very dominant second half was not enough for us to get anything more than a draw from this fixture.

picture.php

Getting to the point where anything but a win would surely mean the end to our ambitions, I was hopeful to play Kiel, a team who was already relegated at this point of the season, and had nothing to play for anymore.
It turned out to be just the game we needed, with a very confident and at times ridiculously dominant performance. Robert Zeher returned to his scoring ways by getting on the score-sheet twice, and although we allowed the only shot on target to get past our keeper, it never looked much in doubt that we would emerge victorious.

picture.php

This was one **** of a game, and on that would have ended all hope if we had even been held to a draw. Union Berlin was sitting three points ahead of us within the promotion zone, but we came out and hit them on the break when Robert Zeher cruised past two defenders and tucked the ball in the corner of the goal.
We never let the game get out of our control after that, with a number of great chances, but without yet another outstanding performance by van der Sman between our posts it could have turned out quite differently.
On the whole, it was a great performance, with an immeasurably important result, and I don't think my fingernails will ever be the same after this one.

Here was another month that saw us drop vital points in our bid for the top spots, but once again, the other teams in the running performed quite similar, and so we managed to fight our way back up.
As you can see, the table is incredibly tight at the top, with any of the top teams having as much a chance at the title as for the unrewarding fourth place spot.

picture.php

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

MAY 2012

One last fixture to be played, one last chance at glory against a team w couldn't beat the first time around, and three points up for the taking that can make or break the season.
I can't believe that the third season in a row will come down to the very last fixture - I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Lucas Winck went on record rallying the team to play the best performance of their life, and everybody is itching to go.

We are expecting a record crow of over 11.000 spectators in our last fixture of the season, and the home-turf advantage could prove invaluable.

Not much left to do but hope and pray, if you are the praying kind.

picture.php

Wow, we did it again, and I am still trembling.
Although I do have to admit that this season felt a lot easier than any of the previous ones - no doubt due to the three promotion chances instead of just one - I still can't believe we did it.

After seeing my star-defender being sold off in pre-season and being once more forced to fill my ranks with free agents due to lack of funds I didn't go into this season with high hopes.
I am amazed at the improvements my squad has undergone, with last years star players performing very much up to the standard and the new additions adding more to the team than I would have ever dared asking of them.

I have to admit, after the rather poor run to end the last year I was quite tempted when Valencia offered me a job, paying me twice in salary than what I could spend for my entire quad, but I am glad I stuck it out here in the "Wagnerstadt".
It might be a long-shot, but I guess for now I will pass on joining a legendary club in favour of becoming a legend of my very own.

Robert Zeher, despite missing few games scored 24 goals, more than the previous league record (although he was beaten to the new record by prolific Union Berlin striker Mustafa Kucukovic) and my new midfield stars Josue and Bonaventura are already showing the amazing potential I know they have.
Sebastiaan van der Sman was certainly one of the best captures we made in mid-season, an immeasurably confidence boost in the back, and Wilmer Meza is showing he will be a future star once he gets more experience.

On the whole, it was a season that proved that early predictions about league positions where completely pulled out of the *** of whoever made them.
To show you what I mean, here's a few predicted and final results:

SpVgg Bayreuth
Predicted: 20th
Result: Champions (Promoted)

Erfurt
Predicted: 9th
Result: 2nd (Promoted)

RW Erfurt
Predicted: 19th
Result: 3rd (Lost in Promotion Play-off)

SV Wacker Burghausen
Predicted: 1st
Result: 14th

Saarbrucken
Predicted: 17th
Result: 7th

Paderborn
Predicted: 2nd
Result: 16th

As you can see, those are not even close to what really happened, and just another reason to completely ignore anything I hear from outside my own backroom.

So, time once more for the obligatory and self-congratulatory display of emails that flooded my inbox:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And the final table of the German 3.Liga (a place I never want to see again):

picture.php

With the season at an end, it's time to dish out the rewards:

picture.php

I still don't get why Robert Zeher didn't win it, playing fewer games than the winner, having a better rating and showing real team spirit by not only scoring a lot but also setting up his teammates an impressive 15 times. Well, he is the best for me, that's for sure.

picture.php

And finally, the team that made it all happen:

picture.php

This season ended better than I could have hoped for, and now we are really getting into a position where we can make some real money and build an even stronger squad.
TV Revenue will be a lot higher, we might tie up a much better sponsorship deal, and the best part is that even the last place in the 2.Bundesliga will be rewarded with close to four million Euros for the final position - about twice the estimated value of our club at the moment.

I will just have enough time for a quick stay in rehab after falling off the wagon during our mid-season slump before I need to dive head first into the transfer market to sign players that will hopefully help us not to slip right back down into the lower tier come next season.
Boy, I need a drink now....

END OF SEASON 3: 2011/2012

Last edited:
Wow you have really powered on the promotions just keep on coming :D

Yay...after all the writing I have finally been rewarded with a second page to this thread.

Micky

SEASON 4: 2012/2013
2.Bundesliga

After returning to the club after a brief...emm...vacation, my spirits were high and I was looking forward to the new season.
That is, until found this delightful little email in my inbox:

picture.php

What the **** am I supposed to do with six thousand Euros?
Not even the deadwood I released for free last year would be available for that pathetic sum.
Great, the chairman is really getting senile now.
"He did so well with so little, let's see what great things he can achieve with even less"

Pardon my french, but WHAT THE ****???

With teams being taken over left and right last year, I'm really hoping for the old geezer Michael Kessler to step down, or just kick it (at this point I don't care about the bad Karma I get for saying this) - seriously, at 76 years of age, I wouldn't trust him to operate a car, let alone a, by now, multi-million dollar football club.

Well, here's to hoping, and I will need to fill my ranks once more with free agents in the meantime.

This offer was very tempting, and I delayed to answer it in the hopes that the senile ******* would get cold feet and throw some cash my way, but nothing happened.

picture.php

So, with nothing to spend I went on to sell some players to at least be able to increase my wage budget - already at it's limit due to promotion-clause contract changes of my existing players - and scouted the market for bargains.

Surprisingly, I found a few quite decent players, although I had to throw quite outrageous sign-on fees their way for them to choose Bayreuth over other, much higher profile clubs.

I signed a few hopefuls for future years from Eastern Europe, and as for actual additions to the squad, the biggest signings were Massimiliano Tagliani, Vladimir Weiss and Davis Curiale.

On the other end, I sold off two of my goalkeepers, Focher and Schloesser, as they were third and forth choice by now, and their wages in no way reflected their abilities.
I'm also somewhat sad to part with Obhafuoso, who was getting old and pushed to the bench by my young hopefuls, and Lucas Winck, who I still hold in high regard, but who I'd also rather like to see play first-team football instead of withering away on my bench.

Sergey Vernigorov is already a good piece of business, even if he would never play for us, as I managed to loan him out for a decent fee with all wages paid after having picked him up for free late last season.

picture.php

Once again
, this is the full transfer history, including the January dealings coming up.
I will comment on those when the time comes. For now, just pretend they aren't there.

Micky

So, here's a better look at some of my key signings:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

With the season drawing near, here's what I have at my disposal to try to weather the storm:

picture.php

As you can see, I am not exactly biased towards national players, with Nils Teixeira being the only true German national in my starting eleven, and loan player Basala-Mazana and new striker Curiale as second-nationality Germans.
There's no limitations in the 2.Bundesliga for how many foreign players I can line up, so I took full advantage and signed cheap talent from other parts of Europe.
Should the time come to play on the European stage I will have plenty of young players that have stayed at the club long enough as to qualify as home-grown.

JULY 2012

July will be a month of preparation, with only a handful of friendly fixtures to shape the team and the new additions chance to blend in.
Oddly enough, in a season that I am approaching with somewhat mixed feelings about what we can achieve, the media predicts us to finish 14th instead of last as in the previous campaigns.

I am not sure how I feel about that - I think the gap between the 3.Liga and the 2.Bundesliga is immense, not least due to the massive amount of money that even a low-table finish brings with it, compared to virtually no outside income in the lower league.
When looking at the opposition teams there's hardly any of them that couldn't sell their star player and have enough cash to buy my entire squad, just to give you an idea.

I know I have a good team at my disposal, but at this stage in professional football it might become a real problem to lack the experience that only comes with age - our squad is by far the youngest in the league.

To cut the time short, here's a simple overview over the friendlies leading up to the start of the season:

picture.php

With things starting to look good, and the team taking shape, we were hit hard by a massive injury to one of my biggest hopefuls in the coming season:

picture.php

A virtually season ending injury to quite possibly my strongest defender is in no way a good start to the season.

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Wow you have really powered on the promotions just keep on coming :D

I guess I need to stop soon, I'm running out of celebration pictures with Bayreuth players for the post-season newspaper article.

Micky

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

AUGUST 2012

So once more the dire financial situation of the club has forced me to only keep a very small squad, with already one player out for the rest of the season.
I am not sure yet where we stand in terms of squad strength, so for now my primary focus will be to stay clear of the relegtion zone, with my secondary target being to finish as high as we possibly can to rake in some cash from the league bonus to build up a stronger squad.

For the first time, all restrictions on scouting were lifted, so everyone available has been send out in the world to find good and affordable talent in all corners of the globe.

August will be a rather tight month, with one cup game and four league fixtures, and I can't wait to get it underway.

________________________________________________ _______________________

DFB Pokal 2012: Round 1

picture.php

A great start to the season against an admittedly inferior opponent.
Everybody came out to perform, and we pounded and pounded and effectively ended the game after only twenty minutes, going up by the final four goal winning margin by that time.
It was a great display between last years star players and all my new signings, playing like they knew each other for years.

But as it seems to be habit with us, all the greatness was marred by yet another injury:
First team defender Nils Teixeira tore his hamstring and won't be able to play for at least another three month.
That leaves us down two starters before even the first game of the season.

picture.php

A few more small knocks before the kick-off caused us to start the game with only four subs on the bench, even after filling the empty spaces with any youth player I could remotely consider for first-team duty.
And so the season started with a sour note in a match that saw us stand our ground for much of the time.
Davis Curiale got his debut goal, but the inexperience of my second-choice defensive line cost us the game in the second half.

picture.php

After getting ten goals past their B-Squad only two seasons ago, it was a great feeling to finally beat the A-team of Mainz in the first home fixture of the season.
Although we were limited to fewer attempts on goal than our opponents, we certainly made them count for more. Both of my first choice strikers got their name on the score sheet when Curiale showed he is worth his huge sign-on fee by scoring and later setting up Robert Zeher for his first goal of the season.

picture.php

We played surprisingly dominant football in a match in which we -guess what - had not been given much chance to emerge victorious.
It was box-to-box attacking, with Bacci giving us the lead with a great header and Robert Zeher equalizing after having conceded two goals.
With the draw all but in the books, Bonaventura stepped up out of nowhere and scored a screamer from 30 yards to steal the game away from a stunned Munich side.

picture.php

This week marks the first painful defeat of the season, as we were clearly the better team but were ultimately punished by allowing Cottbus to score with their only two chances on goal in the entire match.
Despite constant pounding on the other teams door, we were never able to break down the defense effectively, and when we did the ball ended up in the grateful hands of the Cottbus goalkeeper.

Despite winning half of our games in our toughest season yet, I am quite devastated by the increasing number of injuries we are facing. I was unable to find any decent back-ups for free or on loans, and we are really thin in the back - the problem area even with a healthy squad.

Four games in is not really enough time to make any predictions, but purely by performance I am rather satisfied with where we find ourselves at the moment:

picture.php

Last edited:
Brutal injury mate - one of the worse I've seen!!! Good story though, keep it up!

Brutal injury mate - one of the worse I've seen!!! Good story though, keep it up!

Yeah, it's quite nasty.
At least not as bad as last year's FM where in one patch there was this sudden surge in "Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy" with players out for up to two years, or retiring altogether.

What on earth is that?? Is something like what happened to Mark Vivien Foe? (I think it was him - who died during a match) That maybe something like that but two years-retirement that is harsh.

Anyways back on topic, what a joke of a transfer budget, I remember last years game, I could get a bigger budget for avoiding relegation than top half finish! I think it was a glitch though.

Have you started to fill your stadium yet? I think I saw 11000 attending one of your games, hopefully a good season of attendances in a higher league and you'l have money to spend soon enough, but I find with games like this(lower leagues) I don't like spending lots of money, I'd prefer to keep it and try invest in the facilities so in future you dont need to buy good players they just magically appear in your reserves!!

SEPTEMBER 2012

Starting off with a vital two weeks of rest can only do us good after last month.
Bacci has returned from a short-term virus injury and will play an important role in the coming weeks, and many of the smaller knocks and injuries are beginning to heal off, so I can return my youth players to their own age-group.
This month will also see the second round of cup football that will, if nothing else, give us a little bit of price money, regardless of the result.

picture.php

This was always going to be a very hard game, and even with Augsburg being one man down for most of the match after Fabio Lemes was brought down from behind by the last defender, it took everything we had to offer to somehow scrape the win.
Vladimir Weiss gave us the lead early on, and Fabio Lemes regained it for us almost immediately after Augsburg had drawn level, but we were forced to withstand heavy pressure for most of the match. It eventually resulted in us conceding the equalizer in the second half, and for a while it looked quite likely that we might actually loose the match against a fired-up Augsburg side.
Late in the game it was Rodriguinho who came off the bench to convert an accurate cross for the winning goal.

picture.php

Nothing to see here.
But seriously, it was quite hard to watch this match in which we once again dominated, limiting Kaiserslautern to only two shots, one on target, but were unable to convert any of our own numerous chances.
I think we are at a level now where we have to win if we are the better team, as I don't believe this will happen very often.

DFB Pokal 2012: Round 2

picture.php

Although I was bracing myself for a heavy defeat, we played very well with the big boys for much of the game, recording an equal number of chances and really standing our ground.
Having only had three days since the last fixture didn't help either team as the match was marred with poor passing and even poorer tackling, resulting in many stoppages and yellow cards.
I suppose the guys were already in shoot-out mode late in the game, and so we were forced to watch the chance to maybe win by penalties slip away by conceding two goals in extra time.

Even worse than the result - I was not really expecting anything, to be honest - was the almost criminally brutal tackling by Bremen, resulting in a two week injury for Montandon and three weeks for Vladimir Weiss.

So, even some of my back-up defenders are out, and I will once more be forced to line up with a handful of sixteen year-olds in the coming weeks.

picture.php

Running in with a rag-tag bunch of players, with what must be the youngest match-day squad we ever had, we never stood much of a chance against Erfurt.
They really took the game to us, quite probably still angry at us stealing last years title from their plate, and only an outstanding, man-of-the-match performance by Wilmer Meza in goal kept the result respectable.
Although being at level terms until late in the game after Robert Zeher scored the equalizer, I can't deny that the result was a fair representation of the game.

With seven games played and more players spending time in the physio department than on the training ground, I am somewhat content with where we stand at this point of the season.
I believe with more first-team players healthy and in the squad we could have done a lot better than we did, but for what I had at my disposal I can't be too unhappy about the recent outcomes.

At the end of September, we have dropped a few spots and find ourselves in mid-table.

picture.php

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

What on earth is that?? Is something like what happened to Mark Vivien Foe? (I think it was him - who died during a match) That maybe something like that but two years-retirement that is harsh.

Anyways back on topic, what a joke of a transfer budget, I remember last years game, I could get a bigger budget for avoiding relegation than top half finish! I think it was a glitch though.

Have you started to fill your stadium yet? I think I saw 11000 attending one of your games, hopefully a good season of attendances in a higher league and you'l have money to spend soon enough, but I find with games like this(lower leagues) I don't like spending lots of money, I'd prefer to keep it and try invest in the facilities so in future you dont need to buy good players they just magically appear in your reserves!!

I think that's exactly that - some weird heart disease that killed quite a few athletes, or ended their career. There was a weird influx in one of last years patches, where suddenly tons of star players were completely out of the game. I remember David Silva ending his career in one of my saves after he tried to recover from it for two years - although I'm not sure what the chances of a cure are in real life for that condition.

On-topic - yeah, six thousand is a joke, it didn't even do enough to increase my wage budget by anything, but at least I sold of a few players and got more of the revenue to spend to my liking.I'm probably not the most finance-savvy manager there is, and I do like to overspend on wages as long as I am certain the overall balance will stay up on the plus side, and so far it worked.
Regardless of what happens this season, we are guaranteed at least 7 million in TV revenue and placement money combined, so I am hopeful of the coming years. And with a chairman in the seventies, it's only a matter of time until he's replaced and a new chairman decides to build better facilities. As I am already favored personnel and knocking on club-legend status, I don't really fear a new chair would replace me.

Anyway, back to updating this season to catch up to current game time which sees me competing in the XXXXXXXXXX.

Thanks for reading,

Micky

All roads lead to the Bundesliga :)

OCTOBER 2012

At the beginning of October we are still suffering through the worst injury crisis we ever had, barely managing to find five players to fill the substitute spots on the bench, and lining up with no less than five starters missing for at least another two matches.
I can't say I'm too confident of the upcoming fixtures....

picture.php

I can't say I'm too surprised by this result, but I'm not too happy about it either.
We went down one goal early in the match, and there was simply not enough energy left in my guys to fight back. We had a fair number of chances, but most of them came from fairly long range, as Frankfurt had a very tight defense, and we were missing both our target strikers to make anything happen.
Robert Zeher clawed one back after we went down to two goals, and for a little while we were pressing for the equalizer, but we were simply too spent to prevent an incisive counter for Frankfurt to put the game beyond doubt.

picture.php

I can't really say too much positive about this match, most of it was fought in midfield, with lots of shots on either side, but just as many misses.

Just as we were returning to an almost clean bill of health in the squad, we picked up more injuries in this match, with Fabio Lemes being out for three weeks and Nils Teixeira playing his first game after a three month injury twisting his knee to be unavailable for yet another month.

picture.php

We finally recorded our first win in over two month, and it was at long last a very dominant showing against a bottom-of-the-table Freiburg side.
Bonaventura capped a beautiful attacking move while the first whistle was still reverberating from the stands to set the tone of the match.
We were pressing and pushing forward for much of the remainder of the game, but it took almost another hour before Robert Zeher emerged to increase the score before later adding a second goal to his tally.

Certainly a vitally important win both in terms of confidence and in maintaining a respectable league position.

October had one of each possible results, and we have stayed in the same position as in the previous month, with more points separating us now from either end of the table.

We are slowly getting into shape, and more players have shrugged off their earlier injuries and are ready to perform.
I am pleased with some of my designated back-ups and will need to keep a closer eye on their progress once they have returned to the youth squad.

picture.php

NOVEMBER 2012

I am still forced to have a number of very young and inexperienced players sitting on the bench to fill the vacant spots left open by some injuries, but at least most of the starting line is now back in training and ready to go out on match day.

While we are still performing above expectations for most people, I am getting a little disappointed. From what I have seen there were a number of fixtures that were very much winnable affairs, even without all of my first choice players, and we could just as well be placed a few spots higher than we are now.
The team is working much better as a unit in recent weeks, and once we get the scoring back on track I believe we can perform quite admirably in the remainder of the season.

picture.php

Karlsruhe proved to be a very strong team, one that was too much for us on this day.
While we had good control over the midfield areas, we were yet again unable to break down the defense to increase the score after Robert Zeher got an early goal.
Although we were still pressing, we were hit time and time again on the counter, and conceded three goals as a result of it.
We were unable to reestablish our earlier confident performance, and even Luca Siligardis late long-range goal was no more than consolation.

picture.php

I still can't quite understand how Koblenz went up two goals with only two chances all game,except for maybe the fact that both goals came from an offside position.
I do however hold it in high regard that we never stopped trying to regain control of the match, and Robert Zeher was finally rewarded for his tireless efforts with his two goals to at least give us one point out of this fixture.

Well, once again the FA "has remained silent" after my outburst in the following press conference blaming the linesmen, instead of making it a hiring policy to be able TO ******* SEE if you want to be an official.

picture.php

The second match this season in which we had a numerical advantage for much of the proceedings, and once again it took a lot of effort and not least a bit of luck to emerge victorious.
We went down early in the first half after our defense was outmuscled in the box following a corner kick. A tackle reminiscent of a flying drop-kick wrestling move earned Petersch an early bath, but even with the man advantage it took us close to the finish to record the win after scores from Bruels and Josue.

Once again, a two week injury is leaving us one man down in the coming two weeks, this time a damaged wrist for Josue, who is slowly growing into a good playmaker in midfield.

With the season getting closer to the half-way mark, we are still sitting somewhat comfortably in mid-table, with a virtually unchanged point difference to either side of the table.

I have started to set my eyes on a few more targets for the upcoming transfer window in January, and will more than likely be selling a few of my current strikers, who are still performing relatively well, but it is becoming more and more apparent that they are a little bit out of their league, so to speak.

picture.php

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

DECEMBER 2012

Only four matches to go in the first round of this campaign, and still no end in sight for our injury problems.
Despite us recording a profit every single month since the season started my requests for more funds have so far fallen on deaf ears (and I am starting to suspect that Michael Kesslers ears are, in fact, deaf....).
My scouts and myself were able to find two more players for free that will join us in January, but until then we need to somehow scrape by with the few players that have so far avoided the physio.

picture.php

St. Pauli really came out to prove they deserved a much higher position in the table than they currently hold, and after the first goal it was only an outstanding van der Sman in goal that prevented the floodgates from opening.
After switching to a very defensive playing style to prevent this game from becoming embarrassing, we somehow managed to get two great counter moves through an otherwise impenetrable St.Pauli defense to go in front for a short time.
But ultimately, the incessant pounding on our goal blew the house down and we conceded a late equalizer, yet still not enough to steal away van der Smans man of the match award for stopping no less than fifteen shots on target.

picture.php

At long last we were able to record a, dare I say overdue, blow-out victory against a close contender in the league.
Although we were allowing a number of shots on target, the new-found confidence in goal was very much up to the task, and on the other end our finishing was deadly accurate.
Vladimir Weiss started the rout in his first match after a recent injury before Davis Curiale and Robert Zeher took turns setting up each others goals to finish one of the best games of the season so far.

picture.php

Unwilling to be the first team to go down to dead-last FSV Frankfurt we came out flying in this match, knocking on the door almost from the first minute.
The defense looked tight as ever and only allowed a few very lackluster long-range attempts all game while at the other end Robert Zeher seemed to remember the glory days of the season past and recorded yet another hat-trick in a Bayreuth Jersey.
Korotetskyis own goal was somewhat of a moot point, but at that point I really couldn't care less.

picture.php

I am quite frustrated about not letting our run go on in a very winnable affair on this cloudy Friday evening, as we had the game in our hands after an early Weiss goal and let it slip away.
We folded somewhat in midfield after our primary playmaker had to come off after only twenty minutes, and never looked the same after that.
Although we held firm in defense for most of the time there was simply no stopping two incredibly accurate free-kicks courtesy of Felix Kroos.
I could have been content with a draw, but the defeat really hurt.

And so ends yet another year of football with the first round of fixtures in the 2.Bundesliga over and done with.
After an overall fairly successful December we have clawed our way up the table a little more and sit in seventh place.
What is encouraging at this point is that we were certainly able to play and match a lot of the teams we were expected to loose heavily to, and with less bad luck in the injury department we could have finished even higher as we did.

It is turning out to be another tight season, with not a whole lot of point difference between the very top and the bottom of the table, and with even the strong teams dropping points every now and then, everything is still very much up for grabs.

picture.php

---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:42 PM ----------

JANUARY 2013

Some much needed rest has finally allowed my squad to return to a somewhat clean bill of health.
Apart form some very minor bruises, the only one still left out is Tagliani, still a few weeks before he can even resume light training.

The squad evaluations over the last few weeks have led me to sell yet another four players in the January transfer window - Philippe Montandon, as he was getting older and weaker, Georg Geers, as he was just not up to the higher standard of football in the second league and my two star strikers of times past, Fabio Lemes and Rodriguinho, whose great pace could no longer balance his lacking in other areas.

In all we made over one million from those transfers, and my sight was firmly set on Lacina Traore as a new target striker, who was interested in signing, but we were beaten to his signature by Liga Sagres club Setubal.

Ultimately, we ended up with only four more free signings, one young defender prospect Roman Alimov, a back-up striker Michele Marconi, and a very well developed Ukrainian defender Vitaliy Gryschenko and a good midfield cover in Gauthier Mahoto.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

With the memory of the recent injury crisis still fresh in our minds, we limited the winter break activities to only three friendly matches, just enough to gauge the level of abilty of our new signings.
In summary, I am quite pleased by the performances, getting close to an upset against Budesliga outfit Hertha BSC Berlin and showing composure against lower league teams Kiel and Wurzburg.

picture.php

The only league fixture in January saw us square off with relegation threatened Mainz on their own soil.
After ending the previous year with a defeat, I would have liked a bigger margin in a game we dominated, but in this tough season I take a win anyway it comes.
Robert Zeher scored the only goal of the match, but an overall solid defense and midfield on our side allowed me to give some of my new signings some playing time without running into too much danger of giving up the three points.

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

FEBRUARY 2013

Things are starting to look up at the beginning of February, the new signings seem to blend in rather well, and we are now down to only one big injury, allowing us to field a very strong side in the games ahead.
Outside of the squad, our poor finances are really starting to show as our pitch is in worse shape than can be expected of amateur sides, and we still lack the funds to do anything about it. I can't wait for the end of the season, whatever it holds, to get some much needed cash-influx from the league bonus.

picture.php

Although we came out flying on this breezy Friday evening and scored early with Robert Zehers first goal of the evening, we were somewhat robbed of confidence after 1860 Munchen drew level at the half-hour mark. We never let go of the game, but we were hard pressed to keep it in cotrol just the same, and it took the fresh legs of substitute Mahoto to set up Robert Zeher once more to tuck away the winning goal.

picture.php

It was a fairly even affair this time around against Cottbus, a team that simply dominated us in our first meeting of the season.
Although we had fewer shots on target, we were the more dominant force in midfield and Wilmer Meza in goal was very much up for the task to pick up whatever slipped through our defense. New striker signing Marconi scored his first goal for us to give us the lead, and Josue helped us regain it after Cottbus had scored the equalizer.
I wish I could say the late equalizer was justified, but it became quite clear that the official wanted to give Cottbus every chance he could to draw level, letting the game run almost four minutes longer than the announced one minute of stoppage time.

picture.php

I have to say, I did not see this one coming.
Augsburg was in my opinion the strongest team we encountered so far in this season, and even with a few injuries to key players, I was expecting them to play a better game than what ultimately took place.
Although we went down one goal early, it only took a brief twenty minutes of complete dominance to put the game beyond doubt when Weiss, Zeher and Bruels all got their name on the scorecard.
The seemingly broken Augsburg side allowed me once more to play a few of my backups in a game that I had already secretly filed under "defeat" before kick-off.

picture.php

Top promotion contenders Kaiserslautern simply left no doubt who was the stronger team in this away fixture, one that recorded our first defeat of the season.
It never looked likely to end in a blow-out, but Kaiserslautern played such a confident defensive line that nothing we tried had even the appearance of a threat.
Against the flow of the game, Vladimir Weiss capped a beautiful counter move to draw level, and for a little while it looked like we could be stealing a vital point, but the fresh legs of substitute Florian **** proved too much for an exhausted defense and we were forced to concede yet again

To summarize, it has been a relatively successful number of games since the season restarted, although the dropped points against Cottbus still hurt.
We have remained in much the same position as before, and still have one game to play as the fixture against Bielefeld had to be postponed due to the terrible condition of our pitch.

No big surprise there, we lack the funds to relay the pitch despite good revenue from the friendlies and player sales.

MARCH 2013

March will certainly become a tough month, with matches against two of the top seated teams in the league and starting with a match against Erfurt who were able to beat us the first time around.
But I do believe with our new-found confidence and less injuries to worry about we stand a better chance than in last years meetings.

picture.php

We got our revenge on Erfurt with a very solid performance in front of just over 9000 fans.
Our precise passing play and confident build-up culminated in one goal each for strike partners Robert Zeher and Davis Curiale to give us a solid two goal lead.
Despite conceding in the second half to give Erfurt a chance to draw level, they never threatened enough to put the game in any real doubt.

picture.php

At long last, we were finally able to face off against Bielefeld. I was growing quite tired of the pre-match press conferences only for the match to be postponed three times, so it was great to finally get it over with.
And get it over with we did, with yet another very solid performance. Vladimir Weiss set the tone of the game with an early goal before Michele Marconi proved the point that he should start more often by scoring twice to complete the rout.
At long last a very dominant performance that actually showed up in the final result.

picture.php

Top seated Frankfurt was always going to be a very tough challenge, more so on their own turf in front of an intimidating 44616 roaring fans.
We were operating more defensively going into this match, relying more on the counter than our usual controlling play, and Michele Marconi paid dividends for his current first team spot with an early goal to give us the lead.
But Frankfurt was simply pressing too much and attacking with too much confidence for us to weather the storm, and so we were forced to concede the equalizer.
If not for some outstanding second-half defense, and a man of the match van der Sman in goal, it could have just as well ended quite differently.
I am glad we got the point, and can only consider us somewhat lucky to do so.

picture.php

Determined to return to winning ways against mid-table Aachen, it took us well into the second half to record the only goal in a match in which we had close to four times as many chances, both on and off target.
More than 12.000 fans were eventually rewarded for their support when Davis Curiale beat two defenders to a pitch-perfect Nils Teixeira cross and connected with his head.

picture.php

Promotion contenders Karlsruhe were yet another formidable opponent in a very tough month. Going down one goal within the first minute could have very well marked the beginning of a heavy defeat, but the team regained their confidence quickly and went on to match or oven dominate this Karlsruhe side for much of the first half.
Davis Curiale added yet another goal to his season overall to give us a level game at half-time.
The second half proved to be a battle in midfield once more, with neither team willing to relinquish the game. Eventually, Robert Zeher found himself on the end of a stunning 40 yard pass from Josue, with only the keeper between him and the winning goal.
Switching to complete defensive mode, substituting both strikers for extra defenders, we were able to sit out the score against a Karlsruhe side that were pressing until the very last minute.

March was one of the best months we have seen so far, undoubtedly crowned by the fantastic victory over second placed Karlsruhe.
It seems we really are up to the standard in the league when we can line up a healthy squad, and with only seven games left to play we are looking in great shape and are completely save of the relegation zone.

What is even more heartening is that with one game in hand, we are even in the theoretical position to jump to third place in the league, and I dare not mention what the implications of that might be....

picture.php

:/ still got a mathematical chance of promotion but this is a great learning curve for next season. all roads still lead to the bundeslia

APRIL 2013

We are still going strong with yet another tough month ahead, with five fixtures in our sprint to the finish line.
As you might have taken, it is once more a very tightly packed table with teams far down into mid-table still very much in the running for glory.
I am more than pleased at where we are finding ourselves at this point in the season, performing well above everyones expectations.
Getting so close to a potentially unthinkable final position, I can only hope we can keep it together and not let the pressure get to us.

picture.php

Lowly Freiburg put up a brave fight in this early month fixture, but I was pleased to see my squad perform to a level that never made a defeat or even a draw be very much of a possibility.
Rober Zehers early goal gave us a perfect start to the match, allowing us to keep control of the ball instead of being forced to go all out to get the much needed points.
The few chances we allowed all game very easily picked up by the defense or a rock-solid van der Sman in goal, and our overall dominance eventually culminated in Davis Curiale getting his well deserved goal in the second half.

picture.php

Our ascend to the promotion spots, and the apparent over-confidence that came with it, almost cost us dearly in a match in which we found ourselves on the back-foot for much of the proceedings.
Although Vladimir Weiss scored the match opener in the first half, it came as more of an error by Koblenz than as the result of particularly dominant play.
Insistent pressure on our goal put the match very much in danger after conceding the equalizer, but luck was ultimately on our side as Christian Bruels head was at the end of a curved Vladimir Weiss free-kick, allowing him to record the match winner from a narrow angle.

picture.php

A very sizable crowd of more than fourteen thousand fans witnessed us exchanging the nervousness of the previous fixture for our dominant selves of matches past once more.
Despite ending with only one goal difference, it was a very one-sided affair with our midfield stars Bonaventura and Weiss being responsible for much of the build-up play, rewarded with a goal each.
I might have liked a bigger margin, more so as goal difference might very well come into play for the final league position, but at the end of the day, the points are more important, and I'm gald we didn't slip up late in the game like we did so many times before.

picture.php

It's not easy to find any real positives in this match, one in which we were outplayed, outclassed and seemingly outnumbered in almost all areas of the pitch.
Although we were able to go into the break with a level score after Weiss scored the equalizer, it was very much boys against men for the rest of the match. We looked nervous in all the important areas, and were ultimately quite fortunate to escape with a still somewhat respectable score.

picture.php

I was surely hoping for an immediate bounce back to winning ways, it very nearly ended in yet another defeat against an Ingolstadt side that looked determined to take revenge for our heavy 5-0 victory in our first meeting.
Despite recording far fewer chances than our opponents, we found ourselves somehow in front as Davis Curiale outmuscled the defense to connect with his head from a corner kick.
We found ourselves pushed back for much of the second half, but managed to hold our ground. Just as the possibility of emerging victorious seemed to be on the table we were punished as a weak clearance out of the box left our defense vulnerable and unable to prevent the late equalizer.

MAY 2013

It is still a very, very tight affair on the top of the table, and despite us dropping four points in five matches, many of the teams ahead and below us performed much the same, and will also face some very tough opposition in the last two matches of the season.

picture.php

I don't think I have ever been this close to tears as I was during this match.
FSV Frankfurt, dead-last and already as good as relegated didn't even try to win, being limited to a single, off-target shot all game long, and yet we were unable to put anything away.
It was not even due to great goalkeeping on Frankfurts side, with the keeper dropping balls left and right, playing so badly that he was even substituted at half-time, but we were unlucky to an extend that is very hard to even put into words.
And it certainly didn't help that three of our goals were disallowed under very questionable circumstances.

Surprise, surprise, the FA has once more remained silent over my post-match outbursts.
Kids, cover your eyes, ******* LINESMEN!!!!

Had it not been for surprising losses for the top teams, the previous result would have ended the season right there and then.
As it stands, the theoretical chance is still there for one of the promotion spots.
Yet again, season after season, it comes down to the very last fixture.
I couldn't make this **** up if I tried...

picture.php

picture.php

Hansa Rostock was still very much in the race for the last few coveted top spots, and facing them away from home I was understandably nervy. Bonaventura showed his team spirit by rallying the troops prior to kick off, declaring we are more than up to the task of doing anything in our power in the promotion bid, and it really showed from the first whistle.
We dominated for long stretches against a surprisingly lackluster Rostock team, who I thought would show more confidence after having beaten us already earlier in the season.
It took many tries on goal, most of the build-up being focused around an outstanding Josue, simply bossing the midfield, before Robert Zeher cut through the defense like a hot knife through butter and tucked away the match winner in the second half.

It was certainly a fantastic result, doing everything we needed to do, but we were still very much at the mercy of at least one of the two teams ahead of us slipping up.

An unbelievable season has ended, but was it enough to achieve the unthinkable?

Let's see how the other three top teams fared in this last match of the season:

picture.php

Already out of reach, and already guaranteed promotion, this result changed nothing for us.

picture.php

A team we could have left behind us, had they been held to a draw, but the victory puts them firmly in second place.
Only one spot remaining, the play-off position against the 16th seated team in the Bundesliga, but it all hinges on Kaiserslautern dropping two points.

Are you as exited as I am?

Are you?

picture.php

Oh yeah, I love you Aachen.....
The result everybody was hoping for, a draw.

One single point lets us move up to third place, an unbelievable achievement, we are going to the play-offs.

picture.php

Our final position in the league:

picture.php

As you can see, a very tight pack on the top once more, with teams all the way down to seventh place having a shot at glory until the very last day of the season.

The play-off would have almost culminated in a fairly ironic fixture seeing us face our parent club Nurnberg for a spot in the Bundesliga, but they managed to escape the relegation zone on the last day, and so we will be squaring off against Hertha BSC Berlin in a few short days time.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 08:30 AM ----------

A quick and funny note:
Right now, when you google "Spvgg Bayreuth", this very thread is the 8th result that comes up.
Just thought that's kinda funny....

Micky

Last edited: