Wales - The World Cup and Beyond?

David 0404

Reaction score
Since i have lost motivation for my Havant & Waterloo game i have decided to take a break from it and start my final fm09 game before i get fm10 for christmas. i saw that nobody had posted their successes with wales before and since i am from there i thought it would be a nice challenge. i should zoom through the game as it is an international one and i only have the welsh premier league loaded. I have short-term goals and long term goals. My short-term goals are to get to the qualifying play-offs of the world cup and to move up around 10 ranks in the world rankings.

My long-term goals are to qualify for a major tournament and make sure there is a smooth transition of players from youth ranks to the senior team. I am in a tough qualifying group with russia and germany so i am not expecting much but national pride.i have organised friendlies at every possible date and i will rely on good regens in the future for when my team become old.
i will try to make this enjoyable and story-like and eventhough it is fm09, please take the time to check my progress every week.

My firsty real post will be in half an hour or so but beforehand does anyone know how i add pictures to the post so it is like keith herrity's stores, not just as attatched thumbnails?

thanks in advance, david0404

anyone know about the pictures? and anyone know any good tactics?

use ramsey, he was sensational when i was wales on fm09

btw play ched evans everygame he is amazing in 09 :)

i do have a good tactic for international teams but i dont know how to download it :/

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

oops sorry i mean upload

To post an image upload it via an image hosting site (Imageshack) and then take the image location and encompass it in
, or if you do use Imageshack just take the hotlink for forums.

Base the tactic off your star players, for example I used 1 striker as I only had 1 good striker for San Marino, and then used 3 centre mids because this is the area I have the strongest players in.

Good luck :) What ranking do you begin as?

well this is the tactic i use for my ireland team and ive got them up to 12th with the highest being 9th :) with only 1 loss and that was against italy

Average Start

Ok, so for the meantime i have abandoned the idea of pictures. Here we go...

Wales Appoint Rookie Rowlands
Just when the Natioin could not drop any lower, the Wales FA appointed completely unknown manager David Rowlands as their replacement for retired John Toshack. Fans believe that any chance of World Cup Qualification is now gone and that there is no way out of this darkness that is international football.

Despite the sceptical comments, Rowlands seems optimistic and aims on success in the future, not the immediate present. He has already arranged friendlies with the likes of Georgia and Ivory Coast, to test the strength and depth of his young squad. With a lack of star quality, Rowlands immediately set out his intentions by appointing veteran Carl Robinson as the new captain replacing Craig Bellamy. 20 year old Jack Collison was handed the vice-captain role in a surprise for the youngster.

The nation start 55th in the world when Rowlands takes charge of his first game against Georgia in a friendly.

A young squad was picked with several players such as Brian Stock, Aaron Ramsey, Sam Vokes and Neil Eardley being called up. A simple 4-4-2 tactic was used and a well-fought two-nil victory was earned, with Bellamy and new captain Robinson scoring in front of 50,000 fans.

After the game several players including Ryan Giggs, Gary Speed and Robbie Savage were invited out of retirement for the immediate future. Only Savage accepted.

One month later, a similar squad was picked for the games against Azerbaijan and Russia. Savage was included and was the only experienced player in a youthful team against Azerbaijan, with Robert Earnshaw scoring in a 1-0 win at the Millenium Stadium. This optimistic team travelled to Moscow on a high to face Russia, where strengthened squad were put through their paces in a one-nil defeat. Wales were given a reality check and need to remember that qualification is still unlikely. Rowlands has promised the creation of his own tactic for the next two qualifiers against Lietchenstein and Germany. They have climbed to 54th position and there is a lot of optimism in the camp.

The only down point is that Paul Parry decided to retire from international football out of the blue. he was thanked by the squad and wished all the best. Update tonight or in the next few days.

good results there unlucky about the russia but you'll come back from it :) btw if you want to put screenshots its alt-f9

Alt + Prnt Scrn for the screen shot, then copy this into paint, save the image as JPEG/PNG. Then upload to imageshack, copy the image location and wrap it in
to post images. Simple.

Sorry about the wait guys, school work unfortunately comes first. there will be an update tomorrow evening with a few screenshots for those who want to see them

Good luck with this. I'll be following.

Second Major Update

Rowlands disappointed with poor start

Wales boss David Rowlands has told of his disappointment of the current squad to media today. In an interview with Sky Sports ahead of his next fixture against Poland, Rowlands was disappointed with the current performances against big teams and beliees that his side should be taking the game ot the opposition. He also said that he was a little nervy due to the lack of new young talent coming through the ranks.

Rowlands played his easiest game late last year against Lietchenstein where he decided a youthful team would be the best option. A new tactic exclusive to the Wales camp was used and a 3-0 win was recorded, with the scoreline not reflective of the game as Wales missed a host of chances. Aaron Ramsey's first goal for his country was a memorable, a curling scorcher from 30 yards.

Whilst in the interview with Sky Sports, it is believed that Rowlands referred to the Wales-Germany game a lot. Wales were without Simon Davies, Daniel Gabbidon, Craig Bellamy, Rob Earnshaw, and Boaz Myhill for the game due to injury. Germany won 2-1 but in truth it should've been far greater.

Wales ended the year with a friendly in Denmark. A game that they were expected to lose heavily in, super-sub and surprise inclusion Neil Eardley of Oldham came up with an equaliser in Copenhagen, leaving Wales in good spirits ahead of the Festive Season.

I think i should be playing better against the bigger teams as i keep on getting outplayed but i'm happy with the current squad and depth we have. Player of the year is Simon Davies as consistency is a big thing for my players to have, and he has that .I stilll can't work the screenshots properly.

walesvliechtenstein.png

david do you wanna do a net game me v you??? (your in the same situation as me)(getting it for christmas)

Hello all, new user here not new to FM 2009 though.

I currently am Wales manager on my game and have started a campaign for WC which is same group as all you above are attempting my tactics are simple yet so affective 4-5-1 with Ramsey and Collison slightly defensive in the middle with Koumas (CM), Davies (RM) and Ledley (LM) slightly more attacking first game i beat Montenegro 3-0 then moved onto more important matters which was Azerbaijan which i won 7-0 (screenprint below) the main feature of my tactics are that Bellamy plays alone and has long balls hit over the top and then he scores (SIMPLE) but the main shock for me was uncapped Brian Stock who scored a hat trick from outside the penalty area, a goal from Ched Evans was even more impressive as i didnt expect this, anyway guys update on russia game really soon

imagekw.jpg