Reaction score
_49072006_wales_badge203.jpg
england_badge_203x152.gif

Wales VS England

European Championship Qualifying Group G
26th Mar 2011
KO 15:00
Ground: Millenium Stadium, Cardiff

Wales will look to keep their fading Euro 2012 dreams alive when they welcome neighbours England to the Millennium Stadium.

Having opened their qualification campaign with three defeats, newly-appointed coach Gary Speed's side know they have a mountain to climb if they are to end their long wait for a place at a major tournament.
The Dragons are fast running out of time in their efforts to reach the 2012 European Championships in Ukraine and Poland, suggesting they are poised for further international heartache. Confidence needs to be restored to a side that has tasted defeat on its last four outings, scoring only one goal in the process.

Speed will be hoping that Wales can turn the corner on Saturday, in his first competitive fixture since inheriting the national reins from John Toshack. It could be that a meeting with England is just what the Dragons need, with a full house in Cardiff expected to generate a red-hot atmosphere.
The Three Lions will enter the game, though, knowing that they have prevailed in the last two meetings between the two nations - during qualification for the 2006 World Cup. They have, however, alternated between victory and defeat on their last five visits to Wales and were that record to continue this weekend, they would leave with nothing.
England's recent away record suggests they are capable of bucking that trend, with a defeat in the Ukraine after they had already booked their place at the 2010 World Cup representing the only setback they have suffered on the road in their last six outings.

Goals have also been in plentiful supply for Fabio Capello's men of late, with only Montenegro and Algeria having kept them out in their last 13 fixtures.
More goals and another three points against Wales this weekend would be enough to take England to the top of Group G on goal difference, with current leaders Montenegro not in action.

However, off the field news has been dominating the English media recently. Quite apart from the speculation over Frank Lampard's place in an England team which has not started a competitive match without either he or Steven Gerrard since 2002, the latest news story ungulfing the England camp regards the captaincy. Rio Ferdinand has had the captaincy stripped from him and it has been returned to erstwhile captain John Terry.

Team News:

Wales will be without Gareth Bale for Saturday's 2012 European Championship Group G qualifier against England. The Tottenham left-sided player is out with a hamstring injury, but Aston Villa centre-back James Collins is fit after overcoming a calf injury. England coach Fabio Capello has said midfielder Jack Wilshere will start the match while striker Andy Carroll will not play the full 90 minutes. Goalkeeper Ben Foster has pulled out of the squad because a throat infection.West Brom keeper Scott Carson has replaced his Birmingham counterpart for the match at the Millennium Stadium.

Wales: Hennessey (Wolves), Myhill (West Brom), Price (Crystal Palace), Collins (Stoke City), Collins (Aston Villa), Eardley (Blackpool), Gabbidon (West Ham), Gunter (N Forest), Nyatanga (Bristol C), Taylor (Swansea), Williams (Swansea), Allen (Swansea), Crofts (Norwich), King (Leicester), Ledley (Celtic), Ramsey (Arsenal), Vaughan (Blackpool), Bellamy (Cardiff), Church (Reading), Vokes (Wolves, on loan at Sheff Utd), Evans (Sheff Utd), Eastwood (Coventry), Morison (Millwall), Robson-Kanu (Reading)

England: Carson (West Brom), Green (West Ham), Hart (Man City), Baines (Everton), Cahill (Bolton), Cole (Chelsea), Dawson (Tottenham), Jagielka (Everton), Johnson (Liverpool), Lescott (Man City), Terry (Chelsea, capt), Walker (Aston Villa), Barry (Man City), Downing (Aston Villa), Jarvis (Wolves), Lampard (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Milner (Man City), Parker (West Ham), Young (Aston Villa), Wilshere (Arsenal), Bent (Aston Villa), Carroll (Liverpool), Crouch (Tottenham), Defoe (Tottenham), Rooney (Man Utd)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible Team Lineups:

Hart
Johnson Jagielka Terry (c) Cole
Lampard Wilshere
Lennon Rooney Young
Bent

Church
Bellamy --------------------------- Robson-Kanu
Ledley Ramsey
Vaughan
D. Collins J. Collins Williams Gunter
Hennessey

Big loss for Wales with Bale out. I was worried about the impact he could have on the game but now feel slightly more confident. Still shouldn't be underestimated though. Got some good players in their team.

Hal Robson Kanu and Church in the attack <3

3-1 England.

When did Carson get called up? Wasn't it Foster? :$

i couldnt get a ticket because i apparently dont have enough caps...thats bullshit, iv been to every home qualifier and all the friendlies since 2008....................

I reckon it will be a 2-1 England win
Rooney & Wilsher getting the goals

yeah, my name went in a ballot for tickets, but i didnt have enough caps apparently (times iv been to watch england, not play lol)
They have a ballot now!?!?!? When i last went it was proper easy to get tickets!!! Is the ballot just for away games??

If Parker doesn't start I will be amazed, he will go with big names though I supposed its justify-able..

Well I think the England team to line-up should be :
GK- Joe Hart
LB- Ashley Cole
CB- John terry
CB- Michael Dawson
RB- Glen Johnson
CDM- Jack Wilshere
LM- Ashley Young
RM- Aaron Lennon
CAM- Scott Parker
ST- Wayne Rooney
ST- Andy Carroll
As long as this team lines up from the 1st minute, we will absolutely batter Wales|!!!!

Well I think the England team to line-up should be :
GK- Joe Hart
LB- Ashley Cole
CB- John terry
CB- Michael Dawson
RB- Glen Johnson
CDM- Jack Wilshere
LM- Ashley Young
RM- Aaron Lennon
CAM- Scott Parker
ST- Wayne Rooney
ST- Andy Carroll
As long as this team lines up from the 1st minute, we will absolutely batter Wales|!!!!
so much pace

Back