Was Welbeck Wrong to Choose England?

• Thread starter Thread starter BrutalZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 62
  • Views Views 5K

BrutalZ

Reaction score
On the 29th of March, 2011. Daniel Nii Tachie Mensah Welbeck ("Danny Welbeck") Made his England senior team debut in a 1-1 draw against Ghana. Before this match, having only played at youth level for England, Danny Welbeck was eligible to play for either Ghana or England. But he accepted a call-up from Capello and made his debut as a substitute. Under the assumption that he continues to play for England and plays a competitive fixture, will he be wrong in choosing the country of his birth over the country of his descent?

I am a 'Ghanaian football fan' in the simplest words. So it is natural that as a fan at Wembley that night all I could do was jeer, sneer and boo at Welbeck in the spur of the moment. I admit now that we were wrong to do that, and I am happy that Welbeck understands the position of the fans and why we did it. But here are some of the reasons why he may have decided to play for England:

- England are officially a more widely recognized team and compete in the Euro
England are currently 6th in the world I think. This is due to the massive reputation they have built over the years and having won the 1966 world cup, they are known worldwide, especially for the quality of the Premier League which is often regarded as the best in the world. Welbeck may have seen this as a pick between a less prestigious country and a more prestigious one, in which case he chose the latter to further increase his reputation.

- Conveniency of the Euro and its larger importance
The African cup of Nations takes place every two years in January with the exception of 2012/2013 where it will be shifted. This is often considered inconvenient for clubs who have to allow their african players to go on international duty on the turn of the new year with the possibilities of injury and fatigue looming in their return. The European Championship takes place in June so it is not during the Premier League season.

- Ghana call-up has not come yet
The fact that Ghana have not yet officially called him up may serve as an indication as to whether Ghana really want him. England havecalled him up and therefore want him to play for them, as far as Capello is concerned. This would justify why he felt it right to play for them instead. He has also been capped at every youth level, progression to the senior team would only be natural.

But this is why I feel he should play for Ghana:

- Ghana are officially the highest ranked team in Africa
You cannot deny that at this point in time Ghana are worth a place in the top 30 in the world. Being 16th is flattering but it is justified by our rise over the past few years. 2006 we progressed to the knockout (round of 16) in which we were trounced by the favourites 3-0 (Brazil). We got to the U17 World Cup Cup semi finals in 2007 and won the U20 World Cup in 2009. We had one of the youngest squads at the African Cup of Nations and were runners up in the competition last year. We also became the third African team to reach the quarter-finals of the World Cup and were a penalty away from proceeding further. And are widely regarded as an entertaining and well-supported African team.

- He WILL NOT be a regular for England
Under the assumption that a regular for england could rack up about 40+ caps in a 15 year career from the age of 18-19. I believe that Welbeck will never be considered a regular, not because he will never be good enough, but because there will always be people ahead of him. Apart from Rooney who will play for the majority of the next 7-9 years. I feel that England have a player in Carroll that they will be eager to use. There are also Defoe, Crouch, Bent and other premier league regulars to consider. Even if you were to cancel about 3 years, Carroll would play for the best part of about 10 years. You also have to consider that in this time, England will/might have their next 'Owen/Rooney/Defoe/Heskey" that will have a high reputation and will again be ahead of Welbeck.

- He WILL BE played regularly
In an already youthful Ghanaian side without many class options up front or on the wings apart from Ayew and Gyan, it is clear that Welbeck would have a more fruitful career with Ghana. He would also be able to enjoy being part of a side that encourages a relaxing atmosphere and rich culture. He will be able to replicate his form and chemistry with his 'Asa' (Gyan) amongst other things. Baring in mind we were the youngest team at the world cup yet one of the few who did not under perform.

- He is more likely to add to his silverware
No I am not saying that Ghana will win the world cup. But at this point in time I think is is fair to say that Ghana will win a lot more African Cup of Nations trophies than England will Euros in the next 15-20 years. Also Ghana are more likely to perform well at the Confederations Cup while not winning it. I also firmly believe that if an African team ever win a World Cup (improbable) within the next 50 years, it may well be Ghana. It would be good for Welbeck to be a part of the generations in build-up to this feat and be an inspiration to other young Ghanaians. Maybe we wouldn't be upset about people like Mustapha Riga, Mario Balotelli, George Boateng and Jerome Boteng :(

Last edited:
I don't get it, it sounds like your saying he should be playing for England, not Ghana?

simply put, no. He had been tipped for a call up this season anyway, as Capello said himself "next season he will be an important player for Manchester United, and England" he has a huge future, he willplay in this season euro under21s, where he has already established himself as a key player

I heard that both his parents were from Ghana? Might be wrong.

Apparently Ghana tried to persuade him plenty of times, and with him playing upfront with Gyan at Sunderland, I thought he might of chose them, I cant see him being a regular in the England team, he's still young, but there's plenty of strikers ahead of him at the moment.

I heard that both his parents were from Ghana? Might be wrong.

Apparently Ghana tried to persuade him plenty of times, and with him playing upfront with Gyan at Sunderland, I thought he might of chose them, I cant see him being a regular in the England team, he's still young, but there's plenty of strikers ahead of him at the moment.
hes capable of playing up front and out wide, so a future england regular, if not a starter

both parents are ghanian, but he was born in england

Thanks to a few recent relatively low profile cases, this doesn't mean he won't be able to play for Ghana in the future.

Friendly games apparently 'no longer count' when it comes to deciding a players eligibility.

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll see him play more than 10 minutes in the near future, he's had a cracking season with Sunderland and looks like he could be a top player.

Its like asking was Wayne Rooney right in choosing England over Ireland

Or Gerrard over Ireland

Or Ferdinand over Ireland

The kid picks who he feels will bring success, England was the right choice!

Its like asking was Wayne Rooney right in choosing England over Ireland

Or Gerrard over Ireland

Or Ferdinand over Ireland

The kid picks who he feels will bring success, England was the right choice!

Ghana had more success than us at the World Cup! <)

They should of been in the Semi-Finals if it wasn't for Suarez.

Nobody can say whether he was right or wrong in his decision. Only Welbeck. Only he knows what made him opt for England over Ghana, and why wouldn't he? Being born in England and spending his life in this country - what does he really owe to Ghana (A country he's barely stepped foot in - Just an assumption)?

surely he can still play for Ghana in the future if he dosn't make it for England as it was only a friendly match.

I thought the booing was disgusting tbh, that was his moment and it was spoilt by that stupid reception. I'd understand if he was from Ghana, but he was born and bred in England so I don't know why they were expecting him to play for them.

I thought the booing was disgusting tbh, that was his moment and it was spoilt by that stupid reception. I'd understand if he was from Ghana, but he was born and bred in England so I don't know why they were expecting him to play for them.

It was more stupid then disgusting considering he can still play for Ghana.

IMO this shouldn't be a question of who he should choose based on who may or may not have more success in the future (Possibly Ghana...ahem..), it's more a life decision, does he feel more Ghanian or does he feel more English?

I'm half Northern Irish and quite proud of that because I love the culture over there and their attitude, but end of the day I was born in England and lived most of my life there so I feel English.

I've added reasons why I think he should play for Ghana
I am not trying to criticise his decision. Note the title for this thread is a question so opinions are welcme, don't comment about the booing because you have to truly see it from our point of view.

Pff in the future he will probably be a starting member of England team... Why go for Ghana where you can't win anything? meh...

Another quick point, If I was eligible for Ireland and England I'd Play for England, I would play for England. It is different

It's Nature vs Nurture all over again. Whilst he is of Ghanaian descent, all his schooling and his life experience is from English society. It's a different story if he spent half his life there and moved at 21 as by in large as a person he is completely developed. But having no experience of life in Ghana he owes them nothing. One factor that isn't mentioned is the relative stability of the English National team set up. The African nations generally are far more unstable with infighting and politicking often interfering with who is picked, who is coach etc etc etc. How many coaches has Ghana gone through in the last 4-5 years?

I've started to write how wrong he was to choose england nationality, blabla, untill I've remembered, hey, Eduardo chose Croatia over Brazil (he had much slimmer chances at being a Brazil regular), and it was entirely his choice, and we still are thrilled to have him in our national team even if he doesn't score so much as before (BECAUSE OF EVIL MARTIN TAYLOR!).

So basically it's Welbeck's choice, if he wants to play for england, he'll play for England...

Back