Was Welbeck Wrong to Choose England?

• Thread starter Thread starter BrutalZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 62
  • Views Views 5K
I guess it's kind of stupid to assume you know his feelings.

He has his roots in Ghana, but he was born and bred in England. It was this country that has supported him through his life, given him education, healthcare and trained him into the footballer he is today. Ever stopped to think perhaps he wants to give back to the country that did that for him?

I didn't mean it in that way, but I don't know his feelings. Isn't it alright to think that he feels just a tad Ghanaian?

I guess it's kind of stupid to assume you know his feelings.

He has his roots in Ghana, but he was born and bred in England. It was this country that has supported him through his life, given him education, healthcare and trained him into the footballer he is today. Ever stopped to think perhaps he wants to give back to the country that did that for him?
Given he is a born and bred Manc, there is every chance he'll see himself more english than Ghanaian. (like my self)

I didn't mean it in that way, but I don't know his feelings. Isn't it alright to think that he feels just a tad Ghanaian?

Evidently not enough to make him choose Ghana over the country of his birth.

isnt it more likely that he feels more english?

I think he would get almost equal chances, even if he had taken Ghana over England. However, he would have become a first team player faster at Ghana.

People are different. There is no way we can judge what his preference is (But judging by him accepting England, I guess that's it). Some people are furiously proud of where they come from and their heritage, but I think the majority have more emotional ties to their country of birth and development.

Do you live in Ghana, or did for an extended time? Consider this: Do you love Ghana because it is your heritage, or do you love Ghana because it is where you grew up and it is the country that has given you its services and cultures?

And another question, if there was an Englishman born in Ghana. He had English parents but he spent his life in Ghana. Would you not be slightly upset if he chose to serve a country that he has barely experienced over the one that has given him everything he has?

tbh, we could argue about this all night, but Welbeck as taken the step that he feels will further his career, who knows his 100% Ghanaian parents who assumedly moved here from Ghana may have nudged him towards the Three Lions. Besides national football is mostly about pride, club football is where he needs to prove himself.

People are different. There is no way we can judge what his preference is (But judging by him accepting England, I guess that's it). Some people are furiously proud of where they come from and their heritage, but I think the majority have more emotional ties to their country of birth and development.

Do you live in Ghana, or did for an extended time? Consider this: Do you love Ghana because it is your heritage, or do you love Ghana because it is where you grew up and it is the country that has given you its services and cultures?

And another question, if there was an Englishman born in Ghana. He had English parents but he spent his life in Ghana. Would you not be slightly upset if he chose to serve a country that he has barely experienced over the one that has given him everything he has?

I live in England. I was born in England and lived here for three years before moving to Ghana because the weather here was bad for my health (had severe Asthma). I lived there for 7 years until 2004 when I moved back to England to finish primary school. Spent two years in Manchester during that time and decided to support Manchester United because my favorite color was red. Loved football because we played it all the time in Ghana. Supported Kotoko in Ghana for the same reason (they wore red). I have lived here since but have been on regular holidays to Ghana.

I have never been 'fresh' in the sense that I have never really immersed myself in Ghanaian culture. I was always known as the 'London Boy' (direct translation) at school in Ghana because I had a British accent and 'strange' behavior in comparison to theirs. Yet I have always loved Ghana. I am proud to be Ghanaian. I would rather play for Ghana than France, Italy, England or Germany providing it was the same situation. But I wouldn't pick Ghana over Spain or Brazil.

I live in England. I was born in England and lived here for three years before moving to Ghana because the weather here was bad for my health (had severe Asthma). I lived there for 7 years until 2004 when I moved back to England to finish primary school. Spent two years in Manchester during that time and decided to support Manchester United because my favorite color was red. Loved football because we played it all the time in Ghana. Supported Kotoko in Ghana for the same reason (they wore red). I have lived here since but have been on regular holidays to Ghana.

I have never been 'fresh' in the sense that I have never really immersed myself in Ghanaian culture. I was always known as the 'London Boy' (direct translation) at school in Ghana because I had a British accent and 'strange' behavior in comparison to theirs. Yet I have always loved Ghana. I am proud to be Ghanaian. I would rather play for Ghana than France, Italy, England or Germany providing it was the same situation. But I wouldn't pick Ghana over Spain or Brazil.

You see, to everyone this is an odd statement.

You say you would play for Ghana over all these sides, but NOT Brazil or Spain?

As an Englishman, I would have been honoured to play for my country over anything else, any other country, because that's where I was born and lived all my life.

But I'm a quater Welsh, and I'd be just as proud to represent the country of my Grandma's birth that I have visited regularly and immersed myself in.

I think that Welbeck must just feel that either he has always wanted to play for England, regardless of the greater opportunity for Ghana, because he feels more English. I'm sure if asked, he would say he would be just as proud to represent the country of his parent's birth.

Why do people keep saying "he'll feel more english'' ? He is English oO)

Why do people keep saying "he'll feel more english'' ? He is English oO)

My mate was born in Wales to English parents, only born their because they were on holiday, lived in England all his life.

Is he Welsh?

Since when were WE (Ghana) an unstable country?
sorry I poorly worded that there. Your footballing organization is relatively unstable. What was it? 5 coaches in 5 years? That's what I meant by unstable.

You see, to everyone this is an odd statement.

You say you would play for Ghana over all these sides, but NOT Brazil or Spain?

As an Englishman, I would have been honoured to play for my country over anything else, any other country, because that's where I was born and lived all my life.

But I'm a quater Welsh, and I'd be just as proud to represent the country of my Grandma's birth that I have visited regularly and immersed myself in.

I think that Welbeck must just feel that either he has always wanted to play for England, regardless of the greater opportunity for Ghana, because he feels more English. I'm sure if asked, he would say he would be just as proud to represent the country of his parent's birth.

It isn't odd for me, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. Italy, France and England are countries that I wouldn't go for while having the option of Ghana because I would not be confident of having successful careers with them. Where as with teams like Brazil and Spain, I am. Surely in a footballer's career his main objective would be to be as successful as possible. Even at club level. Say you supported Leeds from 'birth' and they are your favorite club. But you got offers from Leeds, Arsenal and Manchester United. You would be unlikely to choose Leeds because you want as much success as possible and want to go as far as possible. I'm not saying Italy, France etc.. are bad teams, But if you have the chance to play for a country that goes into every competition a favorite then it makes more sense to choose them.

With Ghana thrown in, I'd rather play for them because my other eligibility wouldn't be likely to have success anyway. And it would be more satisfying playing with people from your origins.

Another point, with the Englishman thing I'd like to ask a quick question. If Welbeck chose Ghana, would English fans be booing him and shouting traitor? No they wouldn't I think in a case of Country of birth vs Country of origin, Country of origin is the only one you can choose to minimize the consequences

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

sorry I poorly worded that there. Your footballing organization is relatively unstable. What was it? 5 coaches in 5 years? That's what I meant by unstable.

6 coaches if you count interim, 4 if you dont. Which is because we often put a lot of pressure on managers. Our organisation isn't unstable or corrupt, people simply leave because they can't handle the pressure

It isn't odd for me, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. Italy, France and England are countries that I wouldn't go for while having the option of Ghana because I would not be confident of having successful careers with them. Where as with teams like Brazil and Spain, I am. Surely in a footballer's career his main objective would be to be as successful as possible. Even at club level. Say you supported Leeds from 'birth' and they are your favorite club. But you got offers from Leeds, Arsenal and Manchester United. You would be unlikely to choose Leeds because you want as much success as possible and want to go as far as possible. I'm not saying Italy, France etc.. are bad teams, But if you have the chance to play for a country that goes into every competition a favorite then it makes more sense to choose them.

That's being a ****** football mercenary. Choosing to represent a country over another based on the success you may get? I certainly don't share that line of thought.

That's being a ****** football mercenary. Choosing to represent a country over another based on the success you may get? I certainly don't share that line of thought.

So you would choose San Marino over Spain if you had been born and spent all your life living in San Marino?

So you would choose San Marino over Spain if you had been born and spent all your life living in San Marino?

Most certainly, yes. Why would I want to play for another team completely unrelated to me? =/

This is not the case, but I find your position... disturbing.

He has had a ghana call up, but he refused so he could play for england. He could still play for ghana as he only played in a friendly

With Ghana thrown in, I'd rather play for them because my other eligibility wouldn't be likely to have success anyway. And it would be more satisfying playing with people from your origins.

Another point, with the Englishman thing I'd like to ask a quick question. If Welbeck chose Ghana, would English fans be booing him and shouting traitor? No they wouldn't I think in a case of Country of birth vs Country of origin, Country of origin is the only one you can choose to minimize the consequences

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

6 coaches if you count interim, 4 if you dont. Which is because we often put a lot of pressure on managers. Our organisation isn't unstable or corrupt, people simply leave because they can't handle the pressure
Sorry but you seem to skewing the argument in order to back up why he should play for ghana.

There is only one question here: Which country does Welbeck identify by the most? and that's a question only he can answer, which he seems to have in part by taking that call up.

Back