Was Welbeck Wrong to Choose England?

• Thread starter Thread starter BrutalZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 62
  • Views Views 5K
Born in England, Thereforer English, Problem solved, he choose what he wanted to do, and england it is,

Born in England, Thereforer English,

Wish it was that simple. Owen Hargreaves, for example.

But yeah, if they have the choice and they choose one or the other then nobody should have a strop over it.

Wish it was that simple. Owen Hargreaves, for example.

But yeah, if they have the choice and they choose one or the other then nobody should have a strop over it.

I know, But he was born in england and he gets the choice, and picked nothing wrong with that,

P.S. If we wanted a candian playing for us, who was based in Germany at the time. We win.

He's still eligible for Ghana. I don't know if he has even been called up for Ghana in the past, but he's played at every youth level in England, it would only make sense for him to play for England at senior level too.

I think Welbeck chose the right country. Even if Ghana called him up, he would have rejected it having no notion of Ghanian society or culture. And like someone above said, they should have called him in the youth teams. Instead, they let England do this- and naturally he would play for them given the fact that he has a very good future at United.

Along with Carroll, and Wickham, he could be the next strike force in england.

he was right to do it, he wants the chance to compete with spain argentina and so on in the world cup, with ghana he isnt garenteed it, i think he has good talent and deffo one for the future

what if he was born in Ghana but left the country at the age of 1 years old but spent most of his life in England what would he do

he was right to do it, he wants the chance to compete with spain argentina and so on in the world cup, with ghana he isnt garenteed it, i think he has good talent and deffo one for the future

Well, he would be with playing for Ghana too.

Ghana are the second biggest/best team in Africa behind Egypt.

alot of my Ghana friends and some at the game were ****** that he choose England over Ghana

As long as he is not playing for Ghana i'm happy as our 2 countries are rivals

It's Nature vs Nurture all over again. Whilst he is of Ghanaian descent, all his schooling and his life experience is from English society. It's a different story if he spent half his life there and moved at 21 as by in large as a person he is completely developed. But having no experience of life in Ghana he owes them nothing. One factor that isn't mentioned is the relative stability of the English National team set up. The African nations generally are far more unstable with infighting and politicking often interfering with who is picked, who is coach etc etc etc. How many coaches has Ghana gone through in the last 4-5 years?

Since when were WE (Ghana) an unstable country?

He still can play for Ghana, and I think he could. Him and Gyan up front would be brilliant and he would get into the team nearly every time. It's not like Ghana are ****, afterall, is it?

well im sure whether he identifies as english or ghanian will play a part, he grew up in england so maybe he considers himself to be english and therefore prefer to play for them
no different to John Barnes or Rooney choosing england over their respective second nationalities

well im sure whether he identifies as english or ghanian will play a part, he grew up in england so maybe he considers himself to be english and therefore prefer to play for them

Despite the fact that he has Ghanaian blood running through his veins

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

I guess it was kind of stupid putting this on an English thread...

meh its up to him really, if he feels more english then perhaps england is better for him, and he was called up for england, dont think he has yet for ghana.

Despite the fact that he has Ghanaian blood running through his veins

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

I guess it was kind of stupid putting this on an English thread...

I guess it's kind of stupid to assume you know his feelings.

He has his roots in Ghana, but he was born and bred in England. It was this country that has supported him through his life, given him education, healthcare and trained him into the footballer he is today. Ever stopped to think perhaps he wants to give back to the country that did that for him?

I was just a little angry when he came on, as I feel his Ghanaian born and bred(maybe?). Both his parents being from Ghana it is very likely that he has been on holiday there, but it is his choice, if he make it with England respect to him, if he doesn't, he will know the consequences of his decision. Lastly he can't tell if some 17 year old English striker will just decide to surpass his ability in the future.

You're making the same mistake you made in your sig. He was born in Manchester.

OK my bad, born to Ghanaians then. The other guy in the sig, Andre Ayew was born in France, but that's not the point.

Back