Jack Fulham

Reaction score
• Fans' group launches petition to reintroduce standing
• Robertson says government will examine evidence

David Conn
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 22 March 2011 22.00 GMT
Article history

Borussia-Dortmund-007.jpg

The FSF is calling for defined areas of grounds to be made available for safe standing areas, similar to those in Germany. Photograph: Joern Pollex/Bongarts/Getty Images

The sports minister, Hugh Robertson, has said the government will consider the possibility of reintroducing standing areas at top-level football matches, 21 years after Lord Justice Taylor recommended terracing be outlawed.

At the first ever meeting to discuss the issue with the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF), football authorities, police and the Football Licensing Authority, which took place on Monday, Robertson said he would examine the evidence for safe standing. In particular, he said he wanted to see whether modern terracing would be safe, technically able to be built into stadiums and capable of being policed, and whether there is demand from substantial numbers to stand.

But anxious not to raise immediate expectations, Robertson told the meeting frankly that because the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, in which 96 Liverpool supporters died, led to Taylor's recommendation that standing be outlawed, the stakes are extremely high to recommend a change. If he were to do so, and there was then a major accident or incident of disorder on a terrace, Robertson said: "The minister's head would be on a spike on Tower Bridge before he could draft a resignation letter."

The meeting was called by the Liberal Democrat sports spokesman, Don Foster, who has tabled a private member's bill calling for clubs to be permitted safe standing areas. "I am very pleased we brought all parties together for the first time to discuss the issue," he said. "Real fans are paying high ticket prices and losing out, and I am confident safe standing can be introduced which meets all the minister's concerns. We will be gathering the required evidence, and fans must now make their voices heard."

The FSF will launch an online petition calling for the introduction of safe standing areas at stadiums in England's top two divisions, where all-seating has been compulsory since 1994, as recommended by Taylor four years earlier.

All the authorities represented at the meeting stated their opposition to any reintroduction of standing areas, although they no longer state that this is predominantly an issue of fan safety, rather of crowd control. The Premier League, Football League and Football Association argued that all-seat stadiums had been crucial in improving the game's fortunes and image since Hillsborough, and there is no major demand for standing.

The FSF is calling for defined areas of grounds to be made available for safe standing areas, similar to those in Germany where closely spaced barriers make a crush close to impossible. The FSF points to a survey it conducted in which 90% of respondents said fans should have the choice of sitting or standing. The organisation hopes thousands will sign the online petition.

Robertson stressed he is wary of considering change, but would look at all evidence presented, and would want a consensus, including the police in particular, that standing would be safe.

Andy Holt, assistant chief constable of South Yorkshire police, representing the Association of Chief Police Officers at the meeting, said it is up to the FSF to demonstrate that standing areas could be policed effectively and would not risk increasing disorder at matches.

Malcolm Clarke, the FSF chairman, argued that such standing areas would enable fans to enjoy matches in a more traditional atmosphere. Clarke also pointed out that many supporters regularly stand at top-flight football in the all-seat stands, a practice the Football Licensing Authority considers a safety risk.

"Fans do believe they have lost something in the move to all-seating," Clarke said. "We will be doing further research to respond to the concerns of those who are not yet convinced."

Works in Germany so should work here. I hope they introduce it again to the Premier League although I am unsure whether clubs will convert seats back to standing areas. It would increase capacity though so in theory make tickets cheaper.

Not sure what to think of this tbh, a disaster waiting to happen ? I don't know.

If it's anything like it is in Germany, it would be fantastic.

The German model is one we really need to take note of and try to follow. It's exceptional what they've done there.

Signed the petition. I have often thought that the way the Germans do the whole standing thing is something we should of looked at. When I went to watch Dortmund a few years ago it was amazing! The atmosphere standing generates is unique and is sadly lacking in modern English football. ( I understand why there is no standing in England and mean no disrespect to anyone)

I'm just too plain lazy to stand tbh. Unless the standing option is cheaper... Because I'm more tight than lazy....

I signed the petition. I feel so special now :3

If it's anything like it is in Germany, it would be fantastic.

The German model is one we really need to take note of and try to follow. It's exceptional what they've done there.
Works in germany because on the whole, their fans are not morons. Not sure the same could be said about us

I'm just too plain lazy to stand tbh. Unless the standing option is cheaper... Because I'm more tight than lazy....

The last Newcastle game I went to, which was against Liverpool, everyone around us stood the whole game anyway! If you sat you wouldn't be able to see anything :P

we stand up anyway at west ham on the bottom tiers so not sure this would really make a difference, does look good, i wonder if attendance would increase?

To start with there is the whole safety aspect of it so peoples health and safety should come first. Also a lot of people say it builds an atmosphere... has anyone been to Glanford Park! :) we have standing and i have seen more atmosphere at a funeral (H) so im all for all seater stadiums. Plus if we stay up we have to go to seating as it will be our fourth season in the Championship.

Works in germany because on the whole, their fans are not morons. Not sure the same could be said about us

Flawed argument. It works in Argentina and we are complete morons.

Gonna say, what have Germany done apart from let their sensible citizens stand up at football games?

If we let that happen then people would just find reasons to be idiots.

Flawed argument. It works in Argentina and we are complete morons.
not really flawed, you still have plenty of violence on your terraces, and im talking about England, not Argentina

I would love it, but given the propensity of our fans to stupidity, not sure we can be trusted

Already been said in a previous thread that clubs have already spent millions on renovating their stadiums so having terraces would be a waste. Having said that, most away fans stand up anyway and it would be great if the fans could act like they do in Germany but that's not likely.

At Wrexham there is one stand that is standing however it is now closed as its falling down! FU health and saftey!
Anyway, when it was open it was always full, the atmosphere in there was buzzing. One it was cheaper and two it was brilliant when everyone danced around if we scored, which didn't happen very often!

not really flawed, you still have plenty of violence on your terraces

Actually, it is flawed. Terraces have nothing to do with violence - retards do. In last years Superclásico, Boca and River fans were throwing chairs at each other from seater areas. Terraces don't make people hit each other, nor do they make or break rivalries. They do create a wonderful atmosphere. Sadly, I doubt fans here can behave either way, sitting or standing. But, violence aside, I feel we, along with Brazil, have the best fan support in the world. Watch a couple matches, I can provide you with some half-decent streams if you wish, and tell me what you think.

Also, and let's not forget the economic side. In Argentina, clubs are owned by socios (which can translate literally as partners, but the most accurate translation would be member), who pay a monthly/yearly fee. By paying that fee, not only do you have access to the club's facilities (not many clubs here are limited to football, most have all other sorts of sports, too), but also most clubs let you go for "free" to watch matches on the standing areas (Known here as "la popular"), and you still have the choice to go to the seater areas ("la platea") by buying a ticket. Of course, if you're not a member, you can also buy tickets for both populares and plateas, the former being way cheaper, which means that pretty much every football fan leaving near the stadium can go watch any and all matches.

Back