We'll listen to case for terraces, says sports minister Hugh Robertson

Being from the US, I've never understood the desire to stand up for an entire match. All our sports and stadia are all seaters, and in general the only violence in the stands we see is when athletes leave the playing field to assault various spectators.

In all seriousness though, I think that while tradition is nice, the risks are too high for such a move. Crushes are still common in stadia with standing terraces all over the world, and while infrastructure in England is presumably going to be of a higher standard than say in Ivory Coast, who experienced a crush a year or two ago, I think that again, the risk outweighs and perceived benefit.

See that hole you're digging? Yeah, well put the spade down and climb out of it before it is too late, although I'm guessing you've probably already gone too far.

But this is my point. They're in the vast minority; those 'animals' are probably the same ones who would be racist, but there are so few of them now they have no effect. Just like I think violence could be curbed on terraces.

Valid points. I would love dearly love to see violence totally eradicated, but fear it won't happen. I have a feeling they would be too terrified of another tragedy. It may happen in a few years time, we never know.

As well as helping to get rid of terracing, they got English teams banned from Europe due to their behaviour at Heysel. Also you probably live in Surrey and have never been to Anfield so that is what I mean by 'F**k the Scousers'.

Listen, Im born an bred scouse mate, and i am a season ticket holder.

Not trying to troll, just expressing my views, I want terracing back into football as much as the next guy. However some of you have other views on the matter and wish to try act like Gods. I'm going to get off here because I have better things to do than waste time being criticised about my view. None of you have probably stood on a terrace, let alone been to a football match, good luck getting those mod jobs, ajt09 and GodCubed. Adios Amigos.

What's that smell eminating? O yes, I smell either a very poor attempt at trolling, or whats coming out of this guys mouth.

Reckon we should start ignoring him now. No point derailing a perfectly good thread.

Being from the US, I've never understood the desire to stand up for an entire match. All our sports and stadia are all seaters, and in general the only violence in the stands we see is when athletes leave the playing field to assault various spectators.

In all seriousness though, I think that while tradition is nice, the risks are too high for such a move. Crushes are still common in stadia with standing terraces all over the world, and while infrastructure in England is presumably going to be of a higher standard than say in Ivory Coast, who experienced a crush a year or two ago, I think that again, the risk outweighs and perceived benefit.

Heh, it is tempting to make a cheap joke about fat yanks and having to sit, but it is both untrue and not worth it. ;)

I dunno really... I sort of agree with you. On one hand, I enjoy having a nice comfy seat whenever I visit the Emirates with my (Arsenal supporting) friend. On the other, I've been to Selhurst Park in the standing area a few times and the atmosphere is absolutely electric.

Thats the thing. I've never, ever heard of fights between rival fans in an NFL game. Would be great if that happened in this country. We all love the game of football, we blight it with the cancer that is violence? Is the primal urge to batter someone of a rival shirt colour that great?

Thats the thing. I've never, ever heard of fights between rival fans in an NFL game. Would be great if that happened in this country. We all love the game of football, we blight it with the cancer that is violence? Is the primal urge to batter someone of a rival shirt colour that great?

This indeed. I never got the passion of many of my peers to bludgeon an opposition fan to death. Much as I am loath to admit it, it's just a ****** game after all...

This indeed. I never got the passion of many of my peers to bludgeon an opposition fan to death. Much as I am loath to admit it, it's just a ****** game after all...

Wish the same could be said about Brentford fans who seemed up for some aggro on the train back! haha!

I do prefer standing to sitting as imo, it's a **** of a lot more fun. Understandably there will be concerns due to Hillsborough etc, which was obviously a terrible disaster, however this was a very rare occurrence. I would like to see more standing in stadiums with the 'square design'- stadiums like Ewood Park, Bloomfield Road, Craven Cottage etc could have standing areas.

It would be one of the best things ever in my mind. Most away supporters stand up the whole game anyway so why not? Hillsborough was one incident in a million cases so why change somthing just because of one incident which im sure im not the only one who has different views on that which i cant say because people become easily offended.

Standing creates a much better atmosphere and it makes the fans feel more together and united. Maybe have 2 stands seated and 2 stands for standing??

Back