We'll listen to case for terraces, says sports minister Hugh Robertson

I wouldn't feel comfortable. I still remember Heysel vividly, and of course Hillsborough. If its a huge match, full of passionate fans (mixed in with the idiot element), and their player scores a winning goal, I can see a potential for tragedy. This sort of thing needs to be covered from every single angle possible. It's too risky in my opinion.

Oxford have asked the university to put together a report on wether 'safe standing zones' would be a practicle inclusion in the fourth side to our ground

Actually, it is flawed. Terraces have nothing to do with violence - retards do. In last years Superclásico, Boca and River fans were throwing chairs at each other from seater areas. Terraces don't make people hit each other, nor do they make or break rivalries. They do create a wonderful atmosphere. Sadly, I doubt fans here can behave either way, sitting or standing. But, violence aside, I feel we, along with Brazil, have the best fan support in the world. Watch a couple matches, I can provide you with some half-decent streams if you wish, and tell me what you think.

Also, and let's not forget the economic side. In Argentina, clubs are owned by socios (which can translate literally as partners, but the most accurate translation would be member), who pay a monthly/yearly fee. By paying that fee, not only do you have access to the club's facilities (not many clubs here are limited to football, most have all other sorts of sports, too), but also most clubs let you go for "free" to watch matches on the standing areas (Known here as "la popular"), and you still have the choice to go to the seater areas ("la platea") by buying a ticket. Of course, if you're not a member, you can also buy tickets for both populares and plateas, the former being way cheaper, which means that pretty much every football fan leaving near the stadium can go watch any and all matches.
terraces are harder to police than seated areas. its easier to find and throw out the moron in seats than huddled in standing crown

and the finanical side is completely different, and that is one of the big kickers here

Went to the Forest match in Swansea last weekend and not one of us 1600 fans sat down the whole way through. Im unsure as to think this is a good idea.. If its seated then everyone can stand anyway? Hmmm.. Does create a better atmosphere IMO

Went to the Forest match in Swansea last weekend and not one of us 1600 fans sat down the whole way through. Im unsure as to think this is a good idea.. If its seated then everyone can stand anyway? Hmmm.. Does create a better atmosphere IMO

Thing is though, since seating became introduced, the number of women and children attending, has increased, bringing a more family element to some clubs. I'd rather take that anyday, without the risk of tragedy.

Standing does create a better atmosphere, but when the victims of hillsborough and there families are still waiting for justice I say no

I'm all for having safe standing areas as long as they aren't occupied by both sets of fans for example sharing half a stand each. Maybe a stand behind each goal would be the best idea.

Unfair on small people :(

It's not gonna be all-standing.

terraces are harder to police than seated areas. its easier to find and throw out the moron in seats than huddled in standing crown

and the finanical side is completely different, and that is one of the big kickers here

If there's only one moron, usually the crowd handles it itself. Same applies when there are a few morons. When the issue is a general one, it'd happen anyways if they were seated.

Last edited:
I wouldn't feel comfortable. I still remember Heysel vividly, and of course Hillsborough. If its a huge match, full of passionate fans (mixed in with the idiot element), and their player scores a winning goal, I can see a potential for tragedy. This sort of thing needs to be covered from every single angle possible. It's too risky in my opinion.

This.
Hope it doesn't happen, I really do.

It's not gonna be all-standing.

If there's only one moron, usually the crowd handles it itself. Same applies when there are a few morons. When the issue is a general one, it'll happen anyways if they were seated.
it really hasnt worked this way historically for england, hence the aversion to it these days

Stand on the terrace at Brentford every game and stand at all seated away games despite stewards telling everyone to sit down. Terracing or safe standing should be introduced into the modern game again and should be in the Premier League. **** the Scousers, the Government & the Premier League. No one on here should be against terracing unless they are not a 'real football fan'.

Stand on the terrace at Brentford every game and stand at all seated away games despite stewards telling everyone to sit down. Terracing or safe standing should be introduced into the modern game again and should be in the Premier League. **** the Scousers, the Government & the Premier League. No one on here should be against terracing unless they are not a 'real football fan'.

Christ, your post is full of ****. F*** the Scousers? What planet are you from? And no-one should be against terracing unless they're 'not a real football fan'? You sir, really should try maturing before trying to post. Because blatantly, you're full of ****.

Apologies for language, but that kind of comment is pretty dam offensive. I'm not a Scouser, but I've come across them and found them to be great people, and a great laugh. Unless they're Liverpool fans and I get the usual stick lol

Last edited:
it really hasnt worked this way historically for england, hence the aversion to it these days

But historically a whole bunch of things have happened in England. We used to be racist, we've all but stamped that out. Why can't the same be true of violence on terraces?

Grow a brain, please.

But historically a whole bunch of things have happened in England. We used to be racist, we've all but stamped that out. Why can't the same be true of violence on terraces?

Because some people are beyond help unfortunately. They'll always be animals

What do you mean by 'F!!k the scousers' ?
As well as helping to get rid of terracing, they got English teams banned from Europe due to their behaviour at Heysel. Also you probably live in Surrey and have never been to Anfield so that is what I mean by 'F**k the Scousers'.

As well as helping to get rid of terracing, they got English teams banned from Europe due to their behaviour at Heysel. Also you probably live in Surrey and have never been to Anfield so that is what I mean by 'F**k the Scousers'.

See that hole you're digging? Yeah, well put the spade down and climb out of it before it is too late, although I'm guessing you've probably already gone too far.

Because some people are beyond help unfortunately. They'll always be animals

But this is my point. They're in the vast minority; those 'animals' are probably the same ones who would be racist, but there are so few of them now they have no effect. Just like I think violence could be curbed on terraces.

Grow a brain, please.
Please do not patronise me. 8-|

What's that smell eminating? O yes, I smell either a very poor attempt at trolling, or whats coming out of this guys mouth.

Back