Wenger - I am not scared to spend money

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 3K

Calum

Reaction score
Arsène Wenger insists he is not scared to spend money in the transfer market.
On Friday morning, Arsenal posted buoyant financial figures. Both profit and turnover were at record levels. In addition the Club’s debt had been significantly reduced.
The manager has been criticised for not re-enforcing his squad with part of this money. However Wenger argues it is his responsibility to use his club’s funds as wisely as he can.
“I have the wrong reputation,” he said. “I’m not scared to spend money.
“But the job of a manager is not to spend as much money and to get someone like Marouane Chamakh for free. But instead of getting credit you get accused for getting him for free. [People say] ‘why did you not get spend £20 million for him?’
“If I’d bought him two years ago for £20 million it’s OK. But when you get him for free it’s ‘oh, he didn’t spend money again’."

Article found @ http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-i-am-not-scared-to-spend-money

Last edited:
Like the attitude 'I won't spend for the sake of it'. If Wenger really feels he needs a player then he will spend money

I think he doesnt need to spend money as if we can buy good players on the cheep whats wrong with that?

i agree. chamakh on a free is great business. why does hew need to spend money when he can get free transfers like that

i agree. chamakh on a free is great business. why does hew need to spend money when he can get free transfers like that

When was the last time Arsenal won something?

That's why.

Bit early to judge Chamkah, when I've seen him, he's not looked good. Even in France. We'll see.

Well Arsenal have had debts to pay. They have decided to pay it off asap rather than making stupid expensive transfers.

yeah because spending money would have guranteed a trophy.... :S

chelsea's money didnt stop us winning three on the trot

I didn't say it would 'guarantee' trophy's, but he's not known for spending his money is he? And Arsenal have not won anything in a while, I believe if he spent the money and brought in some more top class player they'd start to win things again!

I heard somewhere that Arsenal have only jsut payed off there debts for the stadium, so maybe that's why he's not spent before..

It's late, I'm too tired to read that now. I'll read it tomorrow :P

Lazy :P

Arsène Wenger believes a more gung-ho approach in the transfer market would deprive Arsenal of valuable homegrown talent.
The Arsenal manager has a reputation for giving young players a chance at the highest level - indeed, seven of Tuesday night's Carling Cup squad came through the ranks at the north London side.
Despite that Wenger will be under pressure to spend when the transfer window opens in the New Year, particularly in light of financial results that reported record profits for the Club.
But the Frenchman insists he will be as measured as ever in the market, wary that too much January shopping could be counter-productive.
"I take this pressure with a distance," he said. "For example you [the media] reproach me for not buying players but if I buy players Jack Wilshere doesn't come out into the first team.
"You cannot have everything and I know that and I'm long enough in the job to have a development policy to educate the players. The most difficult thing is to play them and to stand up for it.
"Nobody else in the world [brings through as many young players]. I'll give you one day the list of those at the top level who have made careers with me and you will see. You will be absolutely astonished.
"Take the list of the players who started here, for example Djourou, Senderos, Clichy, Gibbs, Fabregas and Song. Diaby is another who had basically never played before at the top level. Ashley Cole too.
"Of course people say always to buy but you cannot make careers and lives of people and on top of that buy everytime you have an injured player.
"We make a profit because we don't spend - it's as simple as that. What is unbelievable is that people reproach me for making a profit but no-one says a word about people who lose money.
"I manage in a safe way - but it looks like we are in a business where the quality is to lose money."

article @ http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-buying-stops-me-developing-youth

To be fair, the position we most need to improve on is goalkeeping. We need to spend money to get a keeper better than Almunia. And I mean spend.

People think we haven't existed for five years. Five top-four finishes, and getting through the knockouts in the Champions League is still a good achievement!

I didn't say it would 'guarantee' trophy's, but he's not known for spending his money is he? And Arsenal have not won anything in a while, I believe if he spent the money and brought in some more top class player they'd start to win things again!

This myth that Wenger doesn't spend money needs to stop. Just because this year and last he hasn't, doesn't mean he doesn't ever. In the 2008-09 season, his spending was over £30 million. That was off the top of my head, can't be bothered to dig up the other years.

Wenger is doing what Ferguson is doing - he realises that in the coming years, there will be a need for heavy investment, and he is biding his time. Add to that the fact that, apart from a top-class goalkeeper, his squad is about as complete as it can be, with utterly superb young talent such as Wilshere, Ramsey, Frimpong, Emmanuel-Thomas, Sczeczny and the new acquisition Wellington Silva all coming through.

To be fair, the position we most need to improve on is goalkeeping. We need to spend money to get a keeper better than Almunia. And I mean spend.

weird how nearly all arsenal fans blame Almunia for lack of success
he is a good goalkeeper, and he could still do the job for another 2-3 seasons

good yes great no

thats why we need to spend monies on a first class gk

I'm not blaming him for a lack of success, I'm blaming him for conceding the goals we shouldn't be conceding, the mistakes he shouldn't be making. He gets the correct and proper training at Arsenal. Two seasons ago Almunia was one of the best keepers in the league. He's dropped so much since then. We need a no nonsense keeper like Lehmann but without the errors.

Back