Wenger - I am not scared to spend money

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 3K
After the signing of Reyes backfired im not surprised he's been more cautious in the market. He could do with signing a quality one off player for 20M+ instead of 3 or 4 equalling the same amount. Will give the fans a lift, plus they may have a better chance of winning a trophy.

ALMUNIA

SAGNA
KOS
VERMAELAN
CLICHY

FABREGAS
SONG
NASRI/DIABY

WALCOTT
RVP/CHAMAKH
ARSHAVIN

thats a good team already just missing a gk

Calum, when fit, I'd take RvP on the right wing over Theo any day. Rotating between Chamakh and van Persie will be the last thing on Wenger's mind when both are fit.

Calum, when fit, I'd take RvP on the right wing over Theo any day. Rotating between Chamakh and van Persie will be the last thing on Wenger's mind when both are fit.

so when both fit the 3 you would play are:

RVP
CHAMAKH
ARSHAVIN

That's more like it.

I think Chamakh has been a great free gift for Arsenal, but I believe if Arsene had resisted and instead perhaps gambled on a top striker who needs a better club (few to think of, Luis Fabiano maybe) then we could be seeing some more competition in the Premier League. A quality keeper, tighter defence and maybe a true anchorman - despite Song's upcoming - Arsenal could be again a force to be reckoned with.

That's more like it.

I think Chamakh has been a great free gift for Arsenal, but I believe if Arsene had resisted and instead perhaps gambled on a top striker who needs a better club (few to think of, Luis Fabiano maybe) then we could be seeing some more competition in the Premier League. A quality keeper, tighter defence and maybe a true anchorman - despite Song's upcoming - Arsenal could be again a force to be reckoned with.

Exactly my thoughts.

Arsenal are only 3 players away from being true force once again. A top quality keeper, world class defensive midfielder, and a proven out-and-out goalscorer. You could say Wenger has been somewhat stubborn not to have splashed out on any one of the three, but I guess that's just his style in the market.

By not splashing out, it will only prolong Arsenal's wait for the title.

Well whats his problem then, any man and his dog can see they need a rough tackling midfielder and a goalkeeper.

I don't support arsenal but I still bow to Wenger. He has a plan, no doubt. Like someone mentioned above he and SAF know investment is going to be needed, there simply biding their time. I disagree they need to invest this season though, I think the signing of Chamakh has so far been good whilst it's good to see Wilshere and Song step up to the mark. Sensible is the way forward, their finances speak for themselves. Look at the money City have spent, chances are Arsenal will still finish above them.

When was the last time Arsenal won something?

That's why.
When was the last time we won something? And Benitez doesn't get slated for it as much as Wenger (and Arsenal) does. We have £18m on Glen Johnson when Arsene Wenger got Arshavin for the same amount. We got Ryan Babel for £11m and Wenger brought Robin van Persie with the same amount of money. We got Skrtel for around £7m, Wenger got Kolo Toure for only £250k. So we have wasted more money on players who aren't even as good as the Arsenal ones. And his youth is just exceptional! I mean, seriously, who in the Liverpool youth has as much potential as Wilshere, Song and Ramsey, bar Pacheco and Kelly? He's been unfairly slated, and I have much respect for his 'stubborness' to keep bringing in youth, instead of signing Fernando Torres or David Villa.

Well Arsenal have had debts to pay. They have decided to pay it off asap rather than making stupid expensive transfers.
Exactly, that's where the owners (and Arsene) are a bit more clever than Ferguson. He has spent quite a lot, more than Arsenal anyway, every season, despite have enormous debt. Why is Wenger criticised and Ferguson praised yet Wenger has made better signings and has a more 'home grown' team'?

When was the last time we won something? And Benitez doesn't get slated for it as much as Wenger (and Arsenal) does. We have £18m on Glen Johnson when Arsene Wenger got Arshavin for the same amount. We got Ryan Babel for £11m and Wenger brought Robin van Persie with the same amount of money. We got Skrtel for around £7m, Wenger got Kolo Toure for only £250k. So we have wasted more money on players who aren't even as good as the Arsenal ones. And his youth is just exceptional! I mean, seriously, who in the Liverpool youth has as much potential as Wilshere, Song and Ramsey, bar Pacheco and Kelly? He's been unfairly slated, and I have much respect for his 'stubborness' to keep bringing in youth, instead of signing Fernando Torres or David Villa.

Pretty sure RVP was no-where near 7m, more like 3m?

Arshavin was at most 15.

Other than that, you make pretty good points :-)

Arsenal don't need to spend huge amounts of money. They go for the cheap and profit financially and player-wise because when they groom that signing into the next Vieira, Henry, Seaman, Cole etc. etc. it's all worth it in the end.

When they bought Fabregas not so long ago, he was bought for peanuts, and now, trailed by the team he formerly played for, is now captaining the team and the engine of their midfield. The same will be when Jack Wilshere is older and groomed in the right way.

Yes, people can argue that Arsenal have not won in six years or so, but it's not always about buying a new winger for £15m, or a goalkeeper for £30m. It's getting the right signings, getting them to gel and watching them grow into a fluid, attacking and young squad - something Wenger thrives on.

I am certain that either this year or in the next three years, before Wenger retires, Arsenal will have won something.

Pretty sure RVP was no-where near 7m, more like 3m?

Arshavin was at most 15.

Other than that, you make pretty good points :-)
Just checked FM and RVP was only £2.8m :O, and I'm sure Arshavin was £20m, although on FM it says he was £12m. So Wenger is even better at buying than I thought!

Just checked FM and RVP was only £2.8m :O, and I'm sure Arshavin was £20m, although on FM it says he was £12m. So Wenger is even better at buying than I thought!

Possibly £12million + £3million installments (appearances and goals)

I think Wenger should keep to this sort of 'system' but I think he should buy Hugo Lloris or another French goalie next summer, Almunia is getting old and is not good enough anymore. It would also boost the fans confidence and wouldn't get rid of that much money, at most £30m. Just one big signing?

I think Wenger should keep to this sort of 'system' but I think he should buy Hugo Lloris or another French goalie next summer, Almunia is getting old and is not good enough anymore. It would also boost the fans confidence and wouldn't get rid of that much money, at most £30m. Just one big signing?

Lloris wouldn't go.

I think, should United not opt for De Gea, they should buy him.

Pretty much everything that has just been said above this post on this page

Except the thing about Loris, i think he would come, i'm sure he would, but we won't spend £30m, we'll spend £20 at the most on any one player, and for a keeper, even that is pretty expensive, i'd love to get Given in jan for £10-15m (Because he's listed and unhappy).

Agree with the top post by Paul about why Wenger isn't spending etc. and

overall net debt for the club has fallen from £297.7m last year to £135.6m
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/markets/article.html?in_article_id=515477&in_page_id=3&position=moretopstories

Back