• Thread starter Thread starter Frank
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 3K

Frank

Hobbs
Reaction score
Wenger - We have money to overtake Chelsea

Arsène Wenger believes Arsenal have the financial muscle to overtake Chelsea next season.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-have-money-to-overtake-chelsea

The Frenchman knows that the Stamford Bridge side are always capable of outbidding him for new players. But the Arsenal manager argues there is enough talent around to add to his squad this summer and, crucially, he has the funds to go and buy them.

The two clubs have had contrasting weeks. Chelsea tightened their grip on the Premier League trophy with a 1-0 win over Bolton while Arsenal's challenge faltered after they lost 2-1 at Tottenham.

Attention has now turned to how the Emirates Stadium side can bridge the divide. Speaking at Friday's press conference. Wenger was in bullish mood.

"I think we can overcome [Chelsea]," he said. "For a while we were not investing maybe because we had built the stadium but I think our financial situation is now becoming much stronger and we will be capable to buy the players we need to buy."

"No we cannot [compete] on wages with Chelsea. That is simple. I believe what is not normal is not our wage bill but their wage bill because that should not be allowed.

"However they cannot all go to Chelsea, it is as simple as that. There are top players outside of the ones Chelsea want to buy who are good enough for us."

*Any moronic comments, such as paedo etc. will be infracted

Last edited:
Just read this on the website. If the money's there, use it. There's no point keeping it for something else when clearly the problems are on the pitch. Goalkeeper, an out and out striker and a few backups in the summer would do nicely.

The squad does not have the quality to win the league. If you say you have money to spend then for gods sake spend it. Would make the title race that little bit more interesting, I don't really want to see Man Utd and Chelsea do battle for another 10 years tbh

Finally.

According to SkySports we're launching an £8million bid for Joe Hart.

It's gonna be great to see some new signings for once

well done wenger you have told us what we kinda knew anyway, the money is there you just didnt wanna use it, to think, had you done so you could have taken the prem this season. as for chelsea's wage bill, yes it is high, but lets not forget that arsenals wage bill 2008 - 2009 was 104 million, not exactly tiny. There can be no excuses now arsene

Finally it actually seems like he is going to buy productively. Please don't let down devoted Arsenal fans Arsene.

Actually Arsenal haven't showed anything, so I won't believe until I see that, I can consider this as a **** comment.

Actually Arsenal haven't showed anything, so I won't believe until I see that, I can consider this as a **** comment.
to be fair, by making those comments he HAS to buy in summer. we all know where the arsenal sqaud is weak, and he says he has the money to sort it. by not buying in the summer he will be showing the lack of transfer ambition some gunner fans accuse him of. and you can bet fabregas will be asking to leave if that happens.

I was wondering if Arsenal has money to overcome Manchester City.

Arsenal need the following additions to their squad:

- One goalkeeper
- Two centre-backs
- Two full-backs
- Two central midfielders
- Two wingers
- Two strikers

A total of 11 players.

To be fair, he did make it clear that they had the funds last year, but he decided his quad was good enough. If you look at the table and the season as a whole then Arsenal have shown they have what it takes, Wenger doesn't need to spend a lot, if he brings in maybe another striker and a keeper then they can challenge for the title.

- One goalkeeper
- Two centre-backs
- Two full-backs
- Two wingers
- Two strikers

A total of 11 players.

I have no more like's soooo....*Like* ^^^

Jesus christ Aresnal aren't that bad, if they had a goalkeeper up to the standards of Chelsea and Man Utd then theyd deffinately still be in the running, and possibly in pole position. I reckon another center-back and possibly a slight change of tactics and they'll play alot better against the big teams which they've messed up this year. If Robin Van Persie stays fit then Aresnal really do have a team to match Chelsea and Man Utd aswell as a much better financial standing, Man Utd's troubles are pretty well documented and if Abramovic gets bored Chelsea are done.

Maybe someone like Mata to add abit of deffinitive quality to their wide play which is integeral to their play could be ok but Aresnal are surely going to win the title pretty soon. :D Cheer up Aresnal fans.

- One goalkeeper
- Two centre-backs
- Two full-backs
- Two wingers
- Two strikers

A total of 11 players.

You forgot to add Seven Reserves. :)

Presuming Chamakh is already close to signing I would expect him to try and get 2 new centre backs and a defensive midfielder.

They don't need a huge overhaul, just a few players and they will be there or there abouts next year.

Presuming Chamakh is already close to signing I would expect him to try and get 2 new centre backs and a defensive midfielder.

They don't need a huge overhaul, just a few players and they will be there or there abouts next year.

You missed goalkeeper from the list... are ya kidding? :P

Back