• Total voters

DMF

@dmf180593
Reaction score

175px-West_Bromwich_Albion.svg.png
200px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.png

Venue: Hawthorns, West Bromwich
Kick Off: 12:45
Channel/Streams: Sky Sports 2, BBC Radio. Will post streams when available.
Referee: Chris Foy
Assistant referees: John Flynn & Bob Pollack
Fourth official: Mark Halsey

West Brom have defensive worries, with Gabriel Tamas and Gonzalo Jara both suspended and Paul Scharner a doubt with illness. Gianni Zuiverloon has been recalled from his loan spell at Ipswich, while Albion also welcome back midfielder Chris Brunt after a one-match ban.
Manchester United's Nani could return to the side after a hip problem but may be given a couple more days to recover. Paul Scholes remains sidelined but should return to training next week.

West Brom
Suspended: Jara (one match), Tamas (three matches)
Doubtful: Scharner (illness) Injured: Olsson (Achilles)

Man Utd
Doubtful: Nani (hip)
Injured/unavailable: Hargreaves (hamstring), O'Shea (calf), Park (international duty), Scholes (groin), Valencia (ankle)

MATCH PREVIEW

Sir Alex Ferguson enters his 70th year on 31 December but will no doubt be happy to delay the celebration 24 hours if the three points that should keep Manchester United top of the table are among the presents.

Still unbeaten in this season's Premier League, United are making a quick return to the West Midlands, where they slipped up at Birmingham on Tuesday. They will be expecting to make amends, given that the Hawthorns has been a profitable hunting ground in the past for the Red Devils.

It has been a pointless and thus miserable Christmas for West Brom, who have now lost three games on the trot. But at least Albion are in a better state of affairs than the last time they went into New Year as a Premier League side, when they were bottom of the table and went on to be relegated.

And Baggies followers will also surely find comfort in the fact that despite there being only six clubs below them, three of them are the other West Midlands teams.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
• United have won four of the last five league games between the teams but were held 2-2 at Old Trafford earlier this season after leading 2-0 at half-time.
• United have won on their last six league visits to the Hawthorns, a run stretching back to 1984.
• Man Utd did the double over West Brom in the Baggies' most recent season in the top flight (2008/09), scoring nine goals without reply - that included a 5-0 drubbing at the Hawthorns.
• West Brom's Chris Brunt and Man Utd's Nani top the Premier League assists table with 10 each.

West Brom
• West Brom have lost seven of their last 10 league games, including the last three (W2 D1 L7)
• The Baggies have kept only one clean sheet in this season's Premier League - against Sunderland on 21 August. No Premier League team have conceded more goals than the 34 they have shipped this season.
• West Brom have had six red cards in this season's Premier League, more than any other team.

Man Utd
• United have won only one of their eight Premier League away matches this season - at Stoke in October.
• Sir Alex Ferguson's side are unbeaten in their last 13 Premier League away matches but have drawn seven of their last eight. Their last away defeat was a 3-1 loss at Everton in February.
• Wayne Rooney has not scored a club goal from open play since March. Dimitar Berbatov has scored eight goals in his last three Premier League matches.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

West Brom
Odemwingie: 6 goals (6 league); Tchoyi: 4 goals (3 league)

Manchester United
Berbatov 15 goals (14 league); Hernandez 7 goals (4 league)

Line Ups:

West Brom

Carson
Reid Ibanez Scharner Cech
Brunt Mulumbu Morrison Dorrans Thomas
Odemwingie

Subs: Myhill, Tchoyi, Miller, Shorey, Zuiverloon, Fortune, ***.

Manchester United

Kuszczak
Neville Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Carrick
Fletcher Anderson
Obertan ------------------- Rooney
Berbatov

Subs: Amos, Owen, Hernandez, Fabio Da Silva, Evans, Gibson, Bebe.

DMF's Prediction

West Brom 0-2 Manchester United
Rooney x2

Last edited:
high scoring win, 2-3 united, with west brom feeling very unlucky not to get a point

high scoring win, 2-3 united, with west brom feeling very unlucky not to get a point

Really? I don't think they'll cause us too many problems tbh. I think it will be comfortable.

United. Just. Don't underestimate West Brom, they'll go one up then unfortunately miss out on all the points through a goal from Giggs and a late winner from Vidic.

WBA 1-2 Man United. Odemwingie, Giggs, Vidic

Love the fact you've gone for Rooney to score again as well ;)

I think the two suspensions WBA have could prove vital so i'm going to predict a comfortable 3-0 for man utd with berbatov getting 2 and vidic getting the other.

United. Just. Don't underestimate West Brom, they'll go one up then unfortunately miss out on all the points through a goal from Giggs and a late winner from Vidic.

WBA 1-2 Man United. Odemwingie, Giggs, Vidic

Love the fact you've gone for Rooney to score again as well ;)

I did say that I'm going to keep backing him until he scores. Come on Rooney!!

edit jara and tamas are out, make that 1-3

1-0 West Brom.

Tchoyi to score for West Brom to chuck a spanner in the title race.

1-0 West Brom.

Tchoyi to score for West Brom to chuck a spanner in the title race.
lol west brom have one clean sheet all season, you really think they'll get a second against united?

Rooney needs to have a big game tomorrow as tbh he was poor against birmingham and rarely offered anything going forward although he was put on the wing which didn't help things :S

lol west brom have one clean sheet all season, you really think they'll get a second against united?

I'm going for my surprise score line, I'm entitled to my own prediction. ;)

I'm going for my surprise score line, I'm entitled to my own prediction. ;)
haha i admire your faith in the unexpected. then again stranger things have happened this season

It's a funny old game football is, especially this season.

I'm also intrigued to see the line up we'll play. Hernandez played really well against WBA last time around and scored, so maybe he'll get a start.

3-1 West Brom

Paul Scharner, Nicky Shorey andddddddddd Youssuf.

Rooney to score from open play and Utd fans to go wild.

WBA 0-2 Manchester United Berbatov Fletcher

Utd are finding it hard to pick up wins away from home this season but it think they might do here. My heart says 1-1 but my head says 2-0 Utd.