DMF

@dmf180593
Reaction score

200px-West_Ham_United_FC.svg.png
200px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.png

Carling Cup Quarter-Final
Venue: Upton Park
Date: Tuesday, 30 November Kick-off: 1945 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on Sky Sports 1 & highlights of all four quarter-finals on BBC One at 2325 GMT on Wednesday; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website.

TEAM NEWS

West Ham have no new injury problems, although defender Lars Jacobsen is cup-tied for the game.
Scott Parker could be rested but fellow midfielder Kieron Dyer could return from a hamstring injury.
Wes Brown will captain a much-changed Manchester United line-up, with several players rested following Saturday's 7-1 victory over Blackburn.
Javier Hernandez, Chris Smalling and Federico Macheda could play, with Tomasz
Kuszczak or Ben Amos in goal.

MATCH PREVIEW

West Ham's weekend win may have lifted the pressure off Avram Grant, but the reprieve could prove to be temporary.
A poor display against what is likely to be a second-string Manchester United side would not go down well at Upton Park, and Grant will remember all too well that the last time he was sacked was after a cup defeat by Sir Alex Ferguson's side.
While Ferguson may not regard beating West Ham in the Carling Cup quarter-finals in as high regard as depriving Chelsea in the Champions League final, his side are two-time defending champions and will not be giving up their crown lightly.
And with United finally hitting stride in Saturday's 7-1 thumping of Blackburn, the Red Devils will be anxious to keep up the winning momentum as the season enters what will be a very busy December.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
• Manchester United have won their last six meetings with West Ham - all Premier League encounters - and have kept five consecutive clean sheets against them.
• The teams have met only once before in the League Cup, back in 1985 when Norman Whiteside's goal gave United a 1-0 third-round win.

West Ham

• Last Saturday's 3-1 win over Wigan ended a five-match winless run for West Ham.
• But the Hammers are looking to take their unbeaten home run in all competitions to five matches, having not lost at Upton Park since the Premier League visit of Newcastle on 23 October.
• The 1966 and 1981 runners-up are looking for an eighth appearance in the semi-finals, and their first since 1989/90.
Manchester United
• Manchester United are unbeaten this season, having won 15 and drawn eight of their 23 matches.
• Sir Alex Ferguson's side have lifted the League Cup in three of the last five seasons, including the most recent two.
• Victory would give United a 13th appearance in the semi-finals.

Team Line-Ups

Kuszcak
O'Shea Smalling Evans Fabio
Bebe Fletcher Anderson Giggs
Obertan
Hernandez

VS

Green
Faubert Tomkins Upson Ben-Haim
Berrera Spector Kovac Boa Morte
Obina Cole

My Prediction

West Ham United 1-2 Manchester United

Last edited:
want west ham to win as I dont want utdd to win trophies but then I want utd to win as my area is full of WHU fans who think west ham are suddenly a world class team for reaching quaters and will think West ham are the greatest team ever if they win tonight.

Last edited:
want west ham to win as I dont want tud to win trophies but then I want utd to win as my area is full of WHU fans who think west ham are suddenly a world class team for reaching quaters and will think West ham are the greatest team ever if they win tonight.

Why don't you just show them a league table? lol

I'm going for 3-0 United

Why don't you just show them a league table? lol

I'm going for 3-0 United

lol I have said on a number of times they are bottom but West ham fans still come out with so we are still the best and stuff like that lol. anyway sorry for being off topic

yes it is, it's a matchday thread, always useful, anyway, I'm going for penalties, but I don't know who'll win it :P

yes it is, it's a matchday thread, always useful, anyway, I'm going for penalties, but I don't know who'll win it :P

but before everyone used the carling cup thread for the games whats changed for this one?

but before everyone used the carling cup thread for the games whats changed for this one?

imo threads for one match in the latter stages of tournements are better as the matches are bigger and more exciting :)

Meh, the comp is getting to the final stages, I expect there will be alot more talk and debate about the matches at this time of the tournament.

I don't see a problem having a match day thread.

Right, now back on topic.

POG

O'shea
Smalling
Evans
Fabio

Anderson
Fletcher
Giggs

Obertan
Hernandez
Bebe

vs

Green
Faubert
Tomkins
Upson
Ben-Haim

Berrera
Spector
Kovac
Boa Morte

Obina
Cole

Apparently, we're going to play a fairly weakened team which is why I don't see us romping to victory. They'll play a fairly strong team as this will be their chance to get the fans back on side..

EDIT: Just seen the line ups, seems I was wrong about us playing a fairly weak side.

Spector in midfield. Add one more goal onto that tally Dunc.

Back