what happened to sergio asenjo?

csa99

Reaction score
what happened to sergio asenjo?
he used to be a wonderkid goalkeeper on all the previous fm's yet this year De Gea is starting ahead of him when De Gea is like 2 years younger ? :S

Things move on mate, He never reached his full potential IRL so his ratings aren't as good. Look at freddy adu and john fleck, Both tipped to be big things, and are nothing IRL things change in the footballing world and De Gea is now the new wonderkid :p

He is still decent, I just signed him on my story (secret advertising ;))

He is still decent, I just signed him on my story (secret advertising ;))

Oooooo that's naughty :p

Yeah, he's not lived to his potential, but I believe keepers are different to outfield players. Keepers become better as years go by IRL in football. Like David James and Edwin van der Sar.

To be fair Asenjo can still be a very good player, or at least in FM he can be. But without a doubt Athletico have moved on from Asenjo and De Gea is undisputed number one for present and future... That is if they can hold on to him because many teams are interested and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the two leave in the next couple seasons.

He got Injured for a while and De Gea took his place in the team, now De Gea has performed amazingly well so has kept him out the team. Now Asenjo is at Malaga on loan irl. Has performed well for me for my Valencia team on Fm.

Last edited:
I always prefered asenjo to de gea, so it is disappointing that asenjo lost a little bit of his potential, but he is still a decent and young goalkeeper.

Asenjo still has all his potential, he just isn't playing because De Gea is, simply put, a better player than him. Once he moves he will be a good player again.

Like WeLoveTheSaints! said, dont write this GK down, as GKs usually peak way older than outfield players, so he can still become a very good GK.

i signed him when my goalie who i paid 25 million for was playing poor during november and december i had 8 losses in a row so needed to buy a new gk.
i signed him for about 2million.
he is now my first choice and in the 8 games he has played ive not lost any but drawn 2.

is a great gk on fm 11

Hasn't he been out of the game with a long-term injury? Even still, de Gea has stepped up and kept Asenjo out of the team, and quite rightly.

Things move on mate, He never reached his full potential IRL so his ratings aren't as good. Look at freddy adu and john fleck, Both tipped to be big things, and are nothing IRL things change in the footballing world and De Gea is now the new wonderkid :p

John Fleck is still only about 18 or 19 and just back from injury you cant exactly write a player down and say he is never going to be brilliant

De Gea most likely leaving Madrid in the summer so Asenjo might get back in the team and fulfill his potential or move on himself after his loan at Malaga.

I believe he was injured for a while, came back while de Gea was in his prime, and never won his place back

He had a horrible string of games and De Gea popped up, I'm not sure but I think he got a called up at one point?

Yeh I'm sure he was injured, which was De Gea came in in the first place.