What is the best tactic ??

Have your own modified version of the 4-4-2 normal version.

In Home Games:
Have your players on a more attacking mentality because you have the crowd behind you and more chance of the other team attacking you from the beginning.
In Away Games:
Play a more counter-attacking strategy with quick wingers and strikers that will either score on the counter, or provide world-class crosses for someone else to finish.

This same strategy has helped me won the premiership twice in a row and got second place (JUST) with liverpool. Sustainable strategy indeed :)

4-3-1-2. Defenders mentality set to defensive/little creative freedom. Central midfielder set to defensive (use a DMC). Midfielders either side playing close to MC but set to Normal mentality and have them running directly sidewards to the wings. 1 AMC with attacking mentality then 2 strikers. Play direct passing, use both flanks/wide, with attacking mentality at home and defensive/counter attack away. Playing wide brings your forwards wide dragging defenders with them leaving your AMC to come thru picking up the pieces scoring 15-20 goals a season.

I just use basic 442, never set player instructions, slightly alter team instructions though. Slighlty more attacking. Closing Down Often, Counter Attack, slighlt more width, and medium tackling.

Against Man Utd however if they play weird 451 they use at start of game i play 4,2(dmc) 3(aml, amr, amc) and strikr. Nevered Failed in 4 meetings (1 i was 2-0 down after 20, and they had a goal dissolwed) between us Liverpool and Utd. Brother also used it and beat them home and away.

This is my fav tactic so far: won champ league and dutch league 5 times in a row with Ajax and now two trebles in a row with Juve!!!:yikes:

I use the preset player instructions but with the MR and ML set as Attacking Mids with no free role and more crossing!!

I also use the corner setting that Craven described!!

Just wondered if anyone else had any success with it.

Heres the positions and team instructions: -

something i have realised is that you can not play a diamond formation in the higher leagues or you lose the midfield battle. so now i play 4-1-4-1

sherry said:
This is my fav tactic so far: won champ league and dutch league 5 times in a row with Ajax and now two trebles in a row with Juve!!!:yikes:

I use the preset player instructions but with the MR and ML set as Attacking Mids with no free role and more crossing!!

I also use the corner setting that Craven described!!

Just wondered if anyone else had any success with it.

Heres the positions and team instructions: -

who did you use as target men and playemakers??
im gong to give this a couple of months trial i am currently man utd in 2009 just joined them from managing celtic so not used to the team but they are losing like mad need to get thigs sorted

At Ajax my target men were Evandro Roncatto or Porcellis and at Juve I had Ibrahimovic!

My playmakers at Ajax were Diego, Leo Messi or Wesley Sneijder and I signed Diego and Messi when I went to Juve and also have John Obi Mikel!!

might as well ask what the meaning of life is !!!!

depends on ur side, strengths and weaknesses

depends on ur side, strengths and weaknesses

Too right. You've got to play to your players strengths and dont try to shoehorn them into a tactic they cant play. Its pointless playing attacking football down both flanks if you have no wingers, or appointing a playmaker who obviously cant cut it.

boozad said:
Too right. You've got to play to your players strengths and dont try to shoehorn them into a tactic they cant play. Its pointless playing attacking football down both flanks if you have no wingers, or appointing a playmaker who obviously cant cut it.

hey man i have thought about that but i cant seem to suss out what stats are crucial to play makers and what key stats should a target man have ... my target man is zigic for the sheer fact hes 6ft8:D

hey man i have thought about that but i cant seem to suss out what stats are crucial to play makers and what key stats should a target man have ... my target man is zigic for the sheer fact hes 6ft8

A playmaker should have good vision, passing, decisions, awareness fist and foremost, but should generally be exceptional in every department. Ive found if you try using a playmaker who has a lot of average stats at best, you lose all your momentum because hes not good enough to dictate the play.
As for your target man, obviously youve got to use target man supply as 'to head' for someone that tall, but yet again, check his strength and heading stats. Its pointless putting the ball on his head all the time if he cant direct his headers or he keeps getting knocked off the ball

boozad said:
A playmaker should have good vision, passing, decisions, awareness fist and foremost, but should generally be exceptional in every department. Ive found if you try using a playmaker who has a lot of average stats at best, you lose all your momentum because hes not good enough to dictate the play.

What are the attributes for vison and awareness?

I used the 4-1-2-2-1 formation and won 5-0

I play standard

......A...A....

AML.......AMR

......M..M.....

DL..D..D..DR

.......GK.......

I use the 4 3 2 1 tactic. my only concern is that frank lampard is under performing a lot at midfield. is there any tacticts that are effective for him. i always set his mood to attacking and alot of creative freedom. my teams passing style is direct and down both flanks. some advice would be appreciated

The tactic that works best for me is the 4-4-2 Diamond Attacking v2 from the standard tactics list. I won the league with Man Utd in my first season by 9 points scoring 94 goals and conceding 33. Also works well with my England game so far - beat Denmark 4-0 away, Wales 3-0 away and N.Ireland 2-0 away.

On my Everton game I beat Rosenborg 5-2 away in the first leg of the Champions League qualification. It seems to work for most teams!

ive found with my reading team a good tactic to use is a 4-1-2-1-2 formation, freddy guarin or claude makalele protect the defence well very good for catching teams on the break:D