What is the point of technique for Goalkeepers?

kingn3rd

Reaction score
I just noticed that goalkeepers have a new technique statistic. As shown in the image.

View attachment 460008

I just wanted to know what is the point of the new technique stat? Is it a key stat for sweeper keepers? This player seems like a good sweeper keeper and he has a really high technique compared to keepers like Cech (13 technique), Neuer (11 technique) and Hart (7 technique).

In real life some keepers have very good technique in hitting the ball and having the ball at their feet but not sure if that is what this is pointing toward as I would have thought Neuer would have a much higher technique being arguably the best sweeper keeper in he world, Lloris is also a great sweeper keeper in real life.

All technique means is skill, skill in performing any task imaginable in all walks of life, its isn't something only outfield footballers have and doesn't denote how many kick ups you can do. A goalkeeper can have just as much technique in the art of goalkeeping as say Messi does in the art of dribbling.

All technique means is skill, skill in performing any task imaginable in all walks of life, its isn't something only outfield footballers have and doesn't denote how many kick ups you can do. A goalkeeper can have just as much technique in the art of goalkeeping as say Messi does in the art of dribbling.

Certainly true of the definition of the word, but that's not how the technique attribute works in FM.

Look at Jermiane defoe when he shoots IRL, his technique when shooting the ball is probably the best in the league

like that penaly he scoredlast night>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Certainly true of the definition of the word, but that's not how the technique attribute works in FM.

Why wouldn't it though, goal keepers have their own attribute stats, why shouldn't it include how technically good they are as a keeper , technique should mean how skilled they are at doing their job. I see what you mean though and its a fair question.

Why wouldn't it though, goal keepers have their own attribute stats, why shouldn't it include how technically good they are as a keeper , technique should mean how skilled they are at doing their job. I see what you mean though and its a fair question.

im under the impression that technique is the stat for how well they strike a ball

im under the impression that technique is the stat for how well they strike a ball

What makes you think that? Technique in football terms could cover a whole host of things including control, running style, dribbling, the list goes on. We should ask Wenger, its his favorite word.

What makes you think that? Technique in football terms could cover a whole host of things including control, running style, dribbling, the list goes on. We should ask Wenger, its his favorite word.

right im a football coach and when i was doing my badges that was what i was taught

you cant tell me that jonathan walters has better technique (my definition) than defoe and the stats show this

right im a football coach and when i was doing my badges that was what i was taught

you cant tell me that jonathan walters has better technique (my definition) than defoe and the stats show this

Im also a qualified coach, done my prelims and coaching badges with MFC about 15 years ago, your point is? i still maintain technique in football terms covers more than how well you strike a ball. That's my opinion, for what its worth.

Well I'm a referee, and I say it's a draw.

Im also a qualified coach, done my prelims and coaching badges with MFC about 15 years ago, your point is? i still maintain technique in football terms covers more than how well you strike a ball. That's my opinion, for what its worth.

"Technique", in Football Manager terms, means how skilful they are on the ball. It's in the same bracket as the dribbling, first touch stats etc. With a goalkeeper, obviously it just means how good they are with their feet (e.g. De Gea and his trickery).

"Technique", in Football Manager terms, means how skilful they are on the ball. It's in the same bracket as the dribbling, first touch stats etc. With a goalkeeper, obviously it just means how good they are with their feet (e.g. De Gea and his trickery).

If so, I'm very surprised at Reina's technique. In my game it shows as 7. Granted, I'm in 2016 and he's 34 years old, but I can't think of many goalkeeprs who are better with the ball at their feet than Reina.

If so, I'm very surprised at Reina's technique. In my game it shows as 7. Granted, I'm in 2016 and he's 34 years old, but I can't think of many goalkeeprs who are better with the ball at their feet than Reina.

Im not saying how FM use the Technique stat is correct, if anything im saying it needs to be expanded and more clearly defined. Hopefully an attribute revamp will be something to think about for fm 15

my point is, as you so arrogantly put it. Is that once you are taught something in an environment e.g a maths lesson, when you work behind a till that maths then comes in useful.

And me having being taught that definition for technique has then been paralleled with the game. And respectfully that's also my opinion I can offer

Im not saying how FM use the Technique stat is correct, if anything im saying it needs to be expanded and more clearly defined. Hopefully an attribute revamp will be something to think about for fm 15

this.

my point is, as you so arrogantly put it. Is that once you are taught something in an environment e.g a maths lesson, when you work behind a till that maths then comes in useful.

And me having being taught that definition for technique has then been paralleled with the game. And respectfully that's also my opinion I can offer

How exactly was i being arrogant? i believe it was you who started throwing coaching badges around, not that it has any relevance to this discussion.

How exactly was i being arrogant? i believe it was you who started throwing coaching badges around, not that it has any relevance to this discussion.

no the badges dont, but the understanding does!