What is the point of technique for Goalkeepers?

no the badges dont, but the understanding does!

Your understanding to just think technique is solely defined to just ball striking the ball is incorrect, regardless of badges. The stat of technique in the game and in life, should be how well, as in close to the perfect way, an action is carried out, not just striking a ball. There is a technique to tackling for instance.

oh no i was that, it was the manner in which i read 'and you point is?' thats all :)

Make your mind up, you said it was because of my failure to understand earlier. "and your point is" was aimed at you stating you had coaching badges, like i said, its irrelevant.

Taken from the FM13 online manual.

Technique is the aesthetic quality of a player's technical game; how refined they appear to be with the ball. A player with high technique will be more likely to pull off a tricky pass or a cross-field ball with greater ease than someone less technically able. This in turn affects a number of technical attributes; poorer technique will let a player down.

JP was right in his assumption, a higher technique for me would then lead to a GK less likely to mess up that clearing punch or drop a saved shot.

Make your mind up, you said it was because of my failure to understand earlier. "and your point is" was aimed at you stating you had coaching badges, like i said, its irrelevant.

Oh for god sake lol just forget about it, it seemed arrogant just from the way i read it...lines of communication wernt very clear on my side haha
all i wanted was to share how i understand the term technique and you disagree end of :)

lead to a GK less likely to mess up that clearing punch or drop a saved shot.

So am I to believe that goalkeeper technique is how well they are at the art of goalkeeping. If so I think SI might have some of the technique stats wrong. I mean Joe Hart has a technique of 7, Begovic only has a technique of 8, Lloris has a technique of 8 and Boric has a technique of 5. These are some fine goalkeepers granted they many be prone to a dip in form lately (Hart) but these techniques should be higher.

Im also a qualified coach, done my prelims and coaching badges with MFC about 15 years ago, your point is? i still maintain technique in football terms covers more than how well you strike a ball. That's my opinion, for what its worth.

Who is MFC mate?

technique is shown in many forms . example the way walcott dribbles with a ball compared to messi , or defoes shooting compared to chamack.
i think technique should change next year in stead of being out of 20.
it should be under personal information called technique style ... something along the lines to what fifa has on the players like speedster for walcott showing he has got amazing technique when it comes to sprinting , and maestro for a player like ozil showing his technique for passin and dribbling ... and also youth players you should be able to train and mould them into specific technique stlyes....

hope that made some sense lol

What is technique

Technique sits under the technical category, so it makes sense to me that it only applies to the technical attributes of a player. IMO this field determines if the player can add anything extra to a technical action.

For example, Player A and player B both have finishing 15, but A has technique 1, while B has technique 20.

In this situation both players could shoot accurately and repeatedly hit the bottom left corner of the goal, however the player with higher technique is capable of adding spin to the ball and curl it around a goalkeeper, or control a more powerful drilled shot. Making them more likely to score.

Passing with High technique would allow a player to apply backspin, as well as curl.
Tackling means not just knocking the ball off the attacker, but also directing the ball so it reaches a team mate, or a safe place.
For goalkeepers a technical goalkeeper may be better and parrying a save so that the ball deflects to a safe area and not into the path of attackers. That is good technical goalkeeping, although based on the low ratings for top keepers I think its more likely about their ability to control a drop kick, goal kick or throw. by adding spin, not just distance and accuracy. Can Hart control a curled ball easily? or put back spin on, in the same manner of say kompany? I doubt it.

All just my opinion though.

Regardless of what the technique stat means for goalkeepers it's a mess because some of the ratings are really bad.

From what I always understood about the game and reading many many manuals and guides is that technique is simply the range of skills a player can pull off in his particular skill set.

A striker with 20 finishing and low technique will still be deadly in front of goal.
A striker with 20 finishing and high tech will be just as deadly, but will be able to pull off bicycle kicks, outside of the weak foot goals, and cheeky chips. HOWEVER, if said striker has low creativity/flair he will be less likely to perform those moves. Zlatan Ibrahimovich for example

A midfielder with low technique but otherwise high midfielder stats will perform very well.
The Same midfielder with high technique can (depending on creativity, flair, concentration amongst others) pull off weighted long balls, curling long shots, chipped through balls, and with high first touch will be able to collect balls from impossible angles. Ozil IRL is a perfect example of high technique Midfielder.

A defender with low technique but high defense stats will guard your line faithfully.
A defender with high technique will be better at chesting balls down, hitting headers at weird angles, performing hooking slide tackles. But you won't find many defenders with high technique as 1. They don't need it as much and 2. There are less possible skills.

A goalkeeper with low technique (really really low) and high GK stats will be a brick wall.
A goalkeeper with relatively high technique (8-10+) would be capable of the scorpion kick (depending on flair/creativity/eccentricity) and other crazy unorthodox saves. Similar to defenders, their technique levels are lower as their isn't much use for technique or a long list of tricks to master. How often do you see Hart/Lloris/Chech pull off a crazy stunt/save? Hence their lower technique.

This IS how technique is handled in FM and has always been handled and I've seen it first hand. Why they felt the need to add it to Goalkeepers is a little lost on me, but perhaps it's an attempt to make goalkeepers seem more original (previous versions, they all played pretty **** similar regardless of eccentricity).

I hope this opens some eyes or helps some of you in the game!