What roles & duties are best for my players?

Mesut Ozil, Snajder and Sandro - how should i play them in midfield? I tought about Snajder - DLP(S), Ozil - AP(A) and Sandro A-man

Hi guys and thanks in advance for any response.

I am playing with Chelsea in a network game with friends and last season I had Fellaini (and Lampard sometimes) as Box to Box while Mikel was my DM. I am playing mainly possession attacking football with short-passes.

I am thinking though to heavily invest for the second season in the CM position and play Fellaini as DM.

1 Poacher = Falcao
3 ACM = Hazard - Mata - Gotze
1 CM = ?
Anchorman(D) = Fellaini/Mikel

So, should I go for Vidal as Box To Box and keep the same set up up front or should I go for one of Thiago/Modric and play him as an Advanced Playmaker in the CM position?
Which one of the options do you reckon is the best and why? Also if I go for the latter one which roles should I opt for my 3 AMCs?
[Was thinking of IF(support) - TREQ (attack) - AM (attack)]

Last edited:
Mesut Ozil, Snajder and Sandro - how should i play them in midfield? I tought about Snajder - DLP(S), Ozil - AP(A) and Sandro A-man
Sandro is clearly an a-man. The problem is Sneijder and Ozil. They are the same type of players. Use Sneijder as DLP. U're right

I find I am having trouble creating chances, this is my formation:
I could be wrong but I think the problem is with the TREQ and DLF.
View attachment 371120

My defence works well and the midfield four do an excellent job in turning over possession.
The problem is we run out of ideas in and around their eighteen yard area.
When I look at the end of matches where we have dominated possession the AM and STRIKER hardly have touch compared to other players. CM, BWM, WM, WB's can amass 70+ passes and more while the AM and STRIKER only get 10 to 25 passes.
So centre midfield and wide players have lots of time on the ball and we tend to camp out in their half but alas nothing is really threatening their goal.

Maybe I'm nit picking, we won 80% of our matches 1st season, won 2 cups lost in final of 3rd and finish 3rd in EPL.

I have the TREQ set as playmaker and ofc the STRIKER set as target man who will 'run onto ball'
Mousa Dembele and Gylfi Sigourson play TREQ and my strong TREQ I have Siem De jong
Robert Lewendowski and Viktor Fischer play STRIKER, Fischer is understudy (tbh I'm still not sure where to play him, he's still only 18 and would like advice on best position) I am also looking for another striker so would welcome advice here.

Is there a better combination to that of TREQ/DLF? like say: AM/POACHER ??

The type of player I feel work best for my tactic are all rounders but I fear I lack the magic spark.
All CM's TREQ's and STRIKERS have ppm 'comes deeps to get ball'. Can that be to my teams detriment?

I have 40-50 mill to spend.

I'm sure there are a ton of goals in this tactic, I just need help to unlock them.
Thnx in advance :)

EDIT: My team is based on hard work & teamwork with special attention to players who are ambitious.

Last edited:
I find I am having trouble creating chances, this is my formation:
I could be wrong but I think the problem is with the TREQ and DLF.

My defence works well and the midfield four do an excellent job in turning over possession.
The problem is we run out of ideas in and around their eighteen yard area.
When I look at the end of matches where we have dominated possession the AM and STRIKER hardly have touch compared to other players. CM, BWM, WM, WB's can amass 70+ passes and more while the AM and STRIKER only get 10 to 25 passes.
So centre midfield and wide players have lots of time on the ball and we tend to camp out in their half but alas nothing is really threatening their goal.

Maybe I'm nit picking, we won 80% of our matches 1st season, won 2 cups lost in final of 3rd and finish 3rd in EPL.

I have the TREQ set as playmaker and ofc the STRIKER set as target man who will 'run onto ball'
Mousa Dembele and Gylfi Sigourson play TREQ and my strong TREQ I have Siem De jong
Robert Lewendowski and Viktor Fischer play STRIKER, Fischer is understudy (tbh I'm still not sure where to play him, he's still only 18 and would like advice on best position) I am also looking for another striker so would welcome advice here.

Is there a better combination to that of TREQ/DLF? like say: AM/POACHER ??

The type of player I feel work best for my tactic are all rounders but I fear I lack the magic spark.
All CM's TREQ's and STRIKERS have ppm 'comes deeps to get ball'. Can that be to my teams detriment?

I have 40-50 mill to spend.

I'm sure there are a ton of goals in this tactic, I just need help to unlock them.
Thnx in advance :)

EDIT: My team is based on hard work & teamwork with special attention to players who are ambitious.

In my opinion , the basic problem with your team lies in the fact that there is no link up playup front due to the lack of players with supporting role.

I would suggest you use one of your CM's in a support role (the one that is better with the ball - passing , decisions etc). DLF in a support role as well (+hold up ball)
Or, you could change the Treq into a Supporting AP/AM (Both Siggy and Dembele and not good enough to play as Treq IMO).

Also try using your WB in an automated role depending on the team mentality. Finally do you really have two top defenders that are good with the ball on their feet? If not, change one to normal CB or even LPD.

Cheers

Last edited:
In my opinion , the basic problem with your team lies in the fact that there is no link up playup front due to the lack of players with supporting role.

I would suggest you use one of your CM's in a support role (the one that is better with the ball - passing , decisions etc). DLF in a support role as well (+hold up ball)
Or, you could change the Treq into a Supporting AP/AM (Both Siggy and Dembele and not good enough to play as Treq IMO).

Also try using your WB in an automated role depending on the team mentality. Finally do you really have two top defenders that are good with the ball on their feet? If not, change one to normal CB or even LPD.

Cheers

Thank-you for your reply.

Between the time I posted this and now I had changed the TREQ to an AM. Much better.

Problem I have with DLP support was the huge space behind both CM's so my preference was to keep him level(ish) with the BWM hence defend role. (Andrea poli is the only player I have as yet for DLP, any suggestions for another??)
My system is easily adaptable to changing to 4-1-4-1 if that hole is getting exploited during the match so I will give your suggestion a try and move him into support role.

CB's I have on the left side two leftys Vertonghen & Victor Ruiz and on the right side I have two rightys Kaboul and Caulker.
Left side set to cover, right side set as stoppers.
Kaboul plays with Ruiz and Vertonghen plays with Caulker.

WB's I have on the left Alex Sandro and Kyle Naughton (Naughten was cover for either side but I have sold Ekotto and have yet to make a decision on his replacement.)
And on the right I have Kyle walker and Glen Johnson.

Will also try out the AUTO idea to, tbh I have never tried that on WB/FB's as I thought it might lead to us over reaching ourselves.
I play a rigid style of football, It really bugs me when players go wandering :mad:

I must add I am very new to FM and am still coming to grips with what role suits what player, what roles suits which tactic, what tactic gives what type of game but at least I think I kinda know what type of game I wanna play, so thats one less hassle.
:D

Last edited:
Hi guys and thanks in advance for any response.

I am playing with Chelsea in a network game with friends and last season I had Fellaini (and Lampard sometimes) as Box to Box while Mikel was my DM. I am playing mainly possession attacking football with short-passes.

I am thinking though to heavily invest for the second season in the CM position and play Fellaini as DM.

1 Poacher = Falcao
3 ACM = Hazard - Mata - Gotze
1 CM = ?
Anchorman(D) = Fellaini/Mikel

So, should I go for Vidal as Box To Box and keep the same set up up front or should I go for one of Thiago/Modric and play him as an Advanced Playmaker in the CM position?
Which one of the options do you reckon is the best and why? Also if I go for the latter one which roles should I opt for my 3 AMCs?
[Was thinking of IF(support) - TREQ (attack) - AM (attack)]

I would play a BBM but buy Marchisio instead I have him and he is beast, he scores goals and sets up assists for fun. I would use a BBM because for me it is like having an extra player if the players has the right attributes, because they will play defense and offense for you, if that makes sense. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Robert Lewandowski - I currently play him as a DLF-Attack because thats what my assistant said his best role is, but he's not scoring as much as i'd expect him to.

Behind him i play Gervinho/Gibbs - Cazorla/Pjanic - Walcott/Chamberlain

What role do people get the most success with?

@sean - if he is a lone striker upfront, its better to make him a CF/AF/Poach... DLF drops too much and dont have scoring mentality as other striker roles

I would play a BBM but buy Marchisio instead I have him and he is beast, he scores goals and sets up assists for fun. I would use a BBM because for me it is like having an extra player if the players has the right attributes, because they will play defense and offense for you, if that makes sense. Hope it helps.

thanks for sharing your thoughts!
I opted for the BBM option in the end

Gareth Bale - he is natural at left wing and attacking mid.

Where do I play him and what role?

I've never used Bale as an attacking midfielder but if you're worried he won't shine when pushed out wide, don't.

I use him as left winger, attack, and he regularly gets over 20 goals and 30 assists in all competitions, even won the Ballon d'Or once.

I've never used Bale as an attacking midfielder but if you're worried he won't shine when pushed out wide, don't.

I use him as left winger, attack, and he regularly gets over 20 goals and 30 assists in all competitions, even won the Ballon d'Or once.

I do love Victor Wanyama, despite being a Rangers fan ;)

Thanks very much, I'll use him as that :) Reckon I should use him as a target man to feet?

Messi? Playing an online game with my friend, he's real madrid and i'm barcelona, and for the life of me i can't get messi to score, I play him as a complete striker, since he has all the attributes besides like heading really, and he still cant find the back of the net even with the best midfielders behind him supplying him passes. I would prefer to play him up front since he should easily finish any chance given to him, as i have bale, neymar and sanchez to play on the wings and david villa to play left wing or cover for striker too.

Should i play messi as poacher? I don't particularly want to since i know his skills could be utilised in other positions but if it means he will score then i'll give it a go.

One of the many strikers my DoF signed during the January transfer window:View attachment 372750 Turns out he is my highest rated striker. His physical and mental stats are pretty good. I have been playing him as a complete forward in support with a poaching partner. Is this the best way to use him? I also want to play a AMC in some role behind them. After I took this screenshot he has scored a goal and has an assist. Slowly improving.

Messi? Playing an online game with my friend, he's real madrid and i'm barcelona, and for the life of me i can't get messi to score, I play him as a complete striker, since he has all the attributes besides like heading really, and he still cant find the back of the net even with the best midfielders behind him supplying him passes. I would prefer to play him up front since he should easily finish any chance given to him, as i have bale, neymar and sanchez to play on the wings and david villa to play left wing or cover for striker too.

Should i play messi as poacher? I don't particularly want to since i know his skills could be utilised in other positions but if it means he will score then i'll give it a go.

Play him as a deeplying forward with a support role (if playing two or three strikers) or an attack role (if playing alone).

Play him as a deeplying forward with a support role (if playing two or three strikers) or an attack role (if playing alone).

I would try him as Treq isntead. Just make sure that you have some MCs to support him with passes + wingers with low crosses etc