What to do if you just can't win

Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen numerous threads about FM13, ranging from people saying its got harder right through to the conspiracy theories that the games scripted to ensure you lose.

If you are getting whipped in every game, or even if you are just struggling mid table when in charge of utd or city, it's probably about time that YOU admitted defeat instead of blaming the game.

This watershed moment has been coming for a while, there have been signs of it for at least the last 3 editions. It's becoming increasingly difficult to simply accumulate some world class stars, throw them on the pitch and expect results from day one. Especially if you don't properly commit to things like training and tactics, and I mean PROPERLY. This just isn't realistic, look at the first galactico era at real Madrid as an example.

The thing I've also noticed is people moaning that they hit the wall after a certain number of games. Ie they have a string of good results then bang it's like their tactics no longer work. 90% of these people are in charge of a big team. Surprise surprise this is just the game becoming ever more realistic.
Barcelona aside, how many top teams play exactly the same way every week? If they did then the smaller teams know exactly what they can do to attempt to shut the top side out and ****** a draw or even a 1-0 win. Interestingly the people moaning about this 'problem' say they are winning a lot of games 4 or 5 nil and then going on a run of draws or narrow defeats.......

Look to man utd this season as an example. Fergie was using 3 central midfielders and a front 3 that relied on rooney pulling wider. Then he started using the diamond a few games in a row. For the Chelsea game I think everyone expected the diamond, or maybe even the 3 centre mids to combat Chelsea's talented midfield, but no, he goes back to 2 proper wingers and tricks everyone, grabbing a win.

If you are playing a smaller side, the AI is going to try and sit back, hit you on the counter, these possession 'wonder tactics' that have yielded great results against bigger sides won't necessarily work, this isn't a bug, it's realism.

Now I'm not saying the game doesn't have it's fair share of bugs, of course there are problems with this game, just like every FM release before it. But complaining that the AI has worked your tactics out and AI teams are adapting to try and shut your team out (just like real life) or complaining that you just can't get any results with your newly assembled team of world beaters (just like real life) doesn't really make sense.

Personally I'm enjoying the realism and the challenge. Studying how my upcoming opponents are playing and ADAPTING MY TACTICS to exploit their weaknesses is something that seems pretty alien to most FM players. I've been doing it for years with little/no noticeable result. This year finally I can do everything I've ever wanted. My oppositions left back is injured, they have a youngster, unproven at this level who is likely to be the only option. Firstly I talk about him in the media, trying to unsettle him, secondly I put my quickest player with the best dribbling skills on the right wing, thirdly I focus my passing down the right. Boom my winger gets 3 assists in a 4-1 win.

Why play the same way every week if it isn't working? A lot of people seem to think this means scrapping your tactic totally, it doesn't. It means making subtle changes like the one I described. Or maybe moving one of your midfielders to DM, or AMC, or whatever. Trying to anticipate what your opposite manager is going to do to combat your tactics, as well as trying to exploit his teams weaknesses has added a whole new level to the game for me.

So yes I'm still tearing my hair out when a silly match engine bug costs me dearly, but this will be fixed soon enough. In the mean time, I think people should have a close look at themselves before spitting The dummy.

If you don't think you're up to this new challenge called realism, then luckily I have a solution. It's called FM Classic. If you yearn for 'the good old days' when all you needed to do to guarantee a win was name a stronger starting eleven than your AI opponent could muster, and play a semi sensible formation, FMC is for you.

Exactly what i've been thinking excellent post. One cookie for you :)

exactly well said Jake :)

I agree fully! We got so used to making a good tactic and putting out a similar team every match in other Fm's..
I do the same as you, always changing things before games etc.. but due to the lack of impact it had for most parts of Fm12 I stopped doing it and became complacent!

after playing a bit of Fm13 properly I quickly realised that yes, we still have glaring bugs but, it is a lot more realistic!

I think SI have actually out done themselves this year, the FMC is there for the guys who just want to download a good tactic and play like they have been accustomed to for the past couple of years..

I am actually enjoying the challenge and when you make a tweak like you mentioned about setting your winger to attack the young FB and it pays off, it makes the game that much more rewarding!

Everyone needs to read this!

I :wub: you Jake.

Personally I'm enjoying the realism and the challenge. Studying how my upcoming opponents are playing and ADAPTING MY TACTICS to exploit their weaknesses is something that seems pretty alien to most FM players. I've been doing it for years with little/no noticeable result. This year finally I can do everything I've ever wanted. My oppositions left back is injured, they have a youngster, unproven at this level who is likely to be the only option. Firstly I talk about him in the media, trying to unsettle him, secondly I put my quickest player with the best dribbling skills on the right wing, thirdly I focus my passing down the right. Boom my winger gets 3 assists in a 4-1 win.

Why play the same way every week if it isn't working? A lot of people seem to think this means scrapping your tactic totally, it doesn't. It means making subtle changes like the one I described. Or maybe moving one of your midfielders to DM, or AMC, or whatever. Trying to anticipate what your opposite manager is going to do to combat your tactics, as well as trying to exploit his teams weaknesses has added a whole new level to the game for me.

This is what I've been getting across for the last few days. FM13 is a quantum leap over FM12 in this respect. What was somewhat of a luxury thing in FM12, is a necessity. If you are not being proactive, you will most likely get humped.

Last edited:
If you are getting whipped in every game, or even if you are just struggling mid table when in charge of utd or city, it's probably about time that YOU admitted defeat instead of blaming the game.

Saved me a whole rant page myself Jake :D

Its so annoying seeing people ranting about it. Clearly they are playing it wrong. If you know their are certain flaws, do something about it! Counter it. I have managed to, and ive got 101 games unbeaten so far (Admittedly I should as I am doing the moneybags challenge, but still).

I :wub: you Jake.

This is what I've been getting across for the last few days. FM13 is a quantum leap over FM12 in this respect. What was somewhat of a luxury thing in FM12, is a necessity. If you are not being proactive, you will most likely get humped.

I have too been converted :)

agreed!

I still think the games a pile of poo!

just played against 1st place Udinese away from home as 2nd placed Juve!

I went and looked at Udinese's formation and tactic they have adopted and checked their past few results.. they had lost 2 in a row so I checked what formation these teams implemented and edited my tactic a bit to counter their's as well as what seemed to work for the other two teams.. all I did was push my fb's into wb position (as they had wb's) which were their only form of attacking width!

I set my wb's to specifically mark them and completely played them out of the game while still having my wingers, who were not asked to cut inside instead of move into channels to attack their central 3 defenders getting in behind their wb's who sometimes pushed to far forward while setting to counter instead of attacking! I beat them 1:0 which some might think that I should have scored more..

This years edition is not about scoring as many goals as possible, for me its about winning and keeping clean sheets and I am glad that I am now able to make these changes I have been doing forever, but they now actually impact the game and result a **** of a lot more than last Fm's..

as you can see the whole team played well with most ratings on or just above 7.0 which is really good

Jacking off Miles and sexually harassing the only female who works there

Don't think I have ever seen a woman in our office bar the masseuse. Even the cleaner is a bloke lol.

While i agree that this years version needs alot more attention I still find the dip in form absolutley horrid. I for one do check my opposition and do tweak my tactics and match prep etc.

I think your rant has to wide of a scope as some seasoned players are having problems while using multiply formations and tactics. Like i said on my post i want on a 10 game run as Manchester City only scoring one goal. The vast implosion of my team was staggering.

I'm going to pluck away tho and get into the mindframe to go into even more depth when looking at my opposition and how they play. To use your own logic do you ever see Manchester United scoring one goal in ten games? There's dodgy runs where you go completely out of form but never that bad.

Anyway back to the drawing board with tactics I'll have to research more the formations and styles other teams use to beat the teams I'm currently struggling against i still think a tactic that beats Manchester United 6-1 Chelsea 4-0 and Arsenal 4-2 at home should be able to beat Aston Villa, WBA, Reading and Stoke at home especially when you have 20 plus shots 3 plus CCC and 5 plus half chances.

While i agree that this years version needs alot more attention I still find the dip in form absolutley horrid. I for one do check my opposition and do tweak my tactics and match prep etc.

I think your rant has to wide of a scope as some seasoned players are having problems while using multiply formations and tactics. Like i said on my post i want on a 10 game run as Manchester City only scoring one goal. The vast implosion of my team was staggering.

I'm going to pluck away tho and get into the mindframe to go into even more depth when looking at my opposition and how they play. To use your own logic do you ever see Manchester United scoring one goal in ten games? There's dodgy runs where you go completely out of form but never that bad.

Anyway back to the drawing board with tactics I'll have to research more the formations and styles other teams use to beat the teams I'm currently struggling against i still think a tactic that beats Manchester United 6-1 Chelsea 4-0 and Arsenal 4-2 at home should be able to beat Aston Villa, WBA, Reading and Stoke at home especially when you have 20 plus shots 3 plus CCC and 5 plus half chances.

I fully agree with you mate :) its still flawed no doubt but I have started to see through that now..

I am honestly 50/50 at the moment! I hate it but I also love it...

Im having a problem with southampton cant lost 7 drawn 2 won 1, but that is to be expected i am southampton :) i probally shouldnt play attacking football even though my team dominates theyre not good enough in the final third

FMC needs a bigger database, 3 countries is not enough.

Im having a problem with southampton cant lost 7 drawn 2 won 1, but that is to be expected i am southampton :) i probally shouldnt play attacking football even though my team dominates theyre not good enough in the final third

you should honestly try my new M&M tactic set to counter.. it may work out really well with your team :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ight-magic%99-raikan007-fm13.html#post1616376

its got two dm's who play direct passes to the wingers who look to exploit the final third along with the strikers but also tight on defence having the two dm's patrolling the space in front of the covering defence!

the game is still really flawed though so I would not stress out too much at the moment!

just played against 1st place Udinese away from home as 2nd placed Juve!

I went and looked at Udinese's formation and tactic they have adopted and checked their past few results.. they had lost 2 in a row so I checked what formation these teams implemented and edited my tactic a bit to counter their's as well as what seemed to work for the other two teams.. all I did was push my fb's into wb position (as they had wb's) which were their only form of attacking width!

I set my wb's to specifically mark them and completely played them out of the game while still having my wingers, who were not asked to cut inside instead of move into channels to attack their central 3 defenders getting in behind their wb's who sometimes pushed to far forward while setting to counter instead of attacking! I beat them 1:0 which some might think that I should have scored more..

This years edition is not about scoring as many goals as possible, for me its about winning and keeping clean sheets and I am glad that I am now able to make these changes I have been doing forever, but they now actually impact the game and result a **** of a lot more than last Fm's..

as you can see the whole team played well with most ratings on or just above 7.0 which is really good

Btw Raikan are you playing on FMC or FM?