What to do if you just can't win

I like that you can't pick one tactic and use it to win everything easily. The issue or rather issues i'm having are more to do with players doing stupid stuff over and over. Just a few complaints from mine in recent games;

- Defenders not tackling and running beside someone for the length of the pitch despite being faster, the attacker giving them plenty of opportunity to take the ball away and the defender pretty much being on the wrong side so he's ust sheperding him towards goal.

- Keeper mistakes. Players hitting a cross from the wing, the bal floating up and over the keeper. Thats not realistic, thats just annoying.

- Defender mistakes happening every game. I expect mistakes to happen, i don't expect my defenders and keeper to be passing across goal straight to the opposition so they can tap it in.

- I hate players not running to the ball, they miander slowly towards it while the oppostion are sprinting or even more annoying, they start to run for it, stop and stand still while the atacker behind gets it, then they start running again.Again, i get that this happens occasionally in games, it doesn't happen all the time though irl.

- The amount of times i hit the post is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is when it happened off a free kick and not only does it smash into the crossbar but the keeper has eyes in the back of his head and catches the rebound as it comes back over his shoulder before it comes to the players in front of him. The cat like reflexes are not realistic.

- The ball alternates between bouncing and floating like a beach ball and a cricket ball. Its painful to see someone throw the ball in and have it rocket its way into the box when the throw was at the halfway line.

While i like the tactical nuances about the game, you can never win 2 games in a row using the same formation. No one changes it up every single game. Thats an unrealistic twist on the whole thing. Speaking of unrealistic twist, Stoke plays like Barca and is sitting in 4th. What a gee up.

My tactics are there for the most part, it's just that my defenders don't seem to do anything, they'll suddenly stop when a ball is coming their way, only for the striker to knock it past them and run for a 1 on 1. Is there a solution?

My tactics are there for the most part, it's just that my defenders don't seem to do anything, they'll suddenly stop when a ball is coming their way, only for the striker to knock it past them and run for a 1 on 1. Is there a solution?

Yes, wait for the next patch. It seems that those issues are being solved.

If you can't win, just play the match in 2D. It's virtually bug free. I found my players to perform much closer to my instructions when I switch to 2D and the team overall is doing much better.

If you can't win, just play the match in 2D. It's virtually bug free. I found my players to perform much closer to my instructions when I switch to 2D and the team overall is doing much better.

Its the same Match Engine but for those getting frustrated with some of the animation issues, its less frustrating using the 2D mode. This might actually also have the effect that one does not missinterpret what is happening on the pitch, leading to less "incorrect" ingame tweaks/shouts.

So, in a sense, yes its easier to play with the 2D :D

This has needed to be said for a while now. Great post.

It's so much more satisfying figuring out the new engine and getting a victory. The small changes make a great difference. I had an FA Cup replay recently (the first fixture ending 0-0) against a weaker team and it was about the 60th minute and I just couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to score. My *** Man was banging on about getting overrun inmidfield but I ignored it for the first 150 minutes of the tie, expecting my better players to eventually come out on top. I thought 'sod it, i'll pack the midfield' and dropped a striker back into an AMC. Within minutes i'd scored and went on to win 3-0.

It's the micro-management like this that previous games missed.

Also, as a result of the new engine, the press called me a 'tinkerer' for the first time ever. Ususally just stick with one tactic for 20 years

Originally Posted by PaulC
I'd like to say something about the difference between the ME in 12 and 13.

Yesterday we set up an FM2012 match on a monitor directly next to an FM2013 one. We watched 2 matches side by side in full with the same camera view. The differences were startling.

- FM2012's ball physics are way way behind the new model. The ball moves too fast in the air and then dies a death as soon as it starts to roll. It also bounces way too high and straight up. The FM2013 model looks more like a real football in our opinion. It needs a few tweaks here and there but overall we are happy with its direction.

- FM2012's player physics used legacy code from the original 2D implementation of CM4. As such they had acceleration but no concept of turning circle or deceleration. This allowed them to make unrealistic turns that apart from making them unrealistically good at reacting to the ball, confused the **** out of the animation code.

- The animation code, while certainly nowhere near where we want it to be, is far smoother in FM2013. The instances of player ice skating etc are far more prevalent in FM2012. It still happens occasionally in FM2013 but nowhere near as much.

- The pace of the game in FM2012 just looks too fast in comparison to FM2013. We think the latter reflects modern football better.

Following on from that I think there are various factors contributing to some of the complaints about this year's ME:

- Definitely in beta, and yes, to a point in release the ME is rougher around the edges. We know defender reactions and keeper handling in particular are still needing improvements and we are committed to that as ever as well as the other genuine issues raised in this thread and the bugs forum.

- Many users are completely used to the 12 engine and the 13 is such a departure in terms of the pace of the play and the dynamics that its a culture shock. Its also had huge effects on tactics that may have worked before and work differently now.

- FM2013 is harder for some users, partly due to improved use of the tactics creator and team selection by AI teams. My experience of FML taught me that the more people fail to live up to their own expectations the more the ME is blamed. I know some dont want to hear this, but its true.

- Some users with lower end graphics cards are missing shadows on players which has the effect of "detaching" the players from the field of play. We feel this undermines the whole thing and exacerbates the negatives.

- Users playing 2D classic have bugs with ball rotation and ball collision depiction that are problematic and we intend to address these.

Cheers,
Paul

Hard work is paying off for me. Won majority of pre-season (restarted Blackburn save with proper instructions for every single player and totally revamped my tactics to a narrow 4-3-1-2 on a narrow pitch), and won 2 games on the bounce and currently sitting 4th in Championship. Though as I'm typing playing Hull and after 7 minutes it's 2-1 already in my favour. I suspect this could be stressful.

I resent the implication that United won that match because of their tactics and not because of some terrible officiating.

[h=2]Rename thread 'what to do if you just can't win' to 'aka brown nosing SI'[/h]Its called Football Manager 2013. Why not release it in 2013 when the match engine is actually playable. Every year, same gig. Update update and more updates. I love the franchise but its the last time I buy it before Feb/Mar the year after release. To be fair FMC is a godsend but I cant watch a match cause of the ME. I select 'Instant Result' and win 4-0. I play and watch the match I draw 3-3. I'm oooout

i have to say most of your problems seem to be tactical issues, tell us about you tactic's and maybe we can help

Rename thread 'what to do if you just can't win' to 'aka brown nosing SI'

Mature.

Its called Football Manager 2013. Why not release it in 2013

Because then you'll have missed half the season.

Every year, same gig. Update update and more updates. I love the franchise but its the last time I buy it before Feb/Mar the year after release. To be fair FMC is a godsend but I cant watch a match cause of the ME. I select 'Instant Result' and win 4-0. I play and watch the match I draw 3-3. I'm oooout

So instead of explaining why you think the ME is flawed, you just throw a tantrum and decide to not buy any more FM games.

Meh, works for me.

If anything, things are going better for me since the most recent update. Before the update, had dodgy performances in friendlies and league, silly mistakes. But just played Hull won 3-2, beat Crystal Palace and Barnsley 1-0 and am currently sitting top of the NPower Championship, and the only friendly I lost was a 1-0 against Valencia via pen. And only 4 of my 1st team players have a rating below 7.00 and the lowest being 6.80. But more importantly I resisted the temptation to change the formation, remained patient and now things are gelling perfectly.

So in my eyes it's improved and maintained the balance of difficulty and realism pretty dam well.

Because then you'll have missed half the season.
We miss half a season anyway with poor ME

So instead of explaining why you think the ME is flawed, you just throw a tantrum and decide to not buy any more FM games.

Meh, works for me.

Read before you post mate. I never said I won't buy an FM again. I said I won't buy one again until final update/patch.

And by the way I'm on Si forums. Ive posted bugs etc, uploaded saved games and PKMs etc. therefore actually helping the game

All I'm asking is to pay for a game that is close to full release. This version isn't.

you could just play FMC till patch comes out

Eh, I am playing FMC. FMC shouldn't be a game for dummies. If for folk who can't afford to donate two weeks of their lives to finish a season!

If anything, things are going better for me since the most recent update. Before the update, had dodgy performances in friendlies and league, silly mistakes. But just played Hull won 3-2, beat Crystal Palace and Barnsley 1-0 and am currently sitting top of the NPower Championship, and the only friendly I lost was a 1-0 against Valencia via pen. And only 4 of my 1st team players have a rating below 7.00 and the lowest being 6.80. But more importantly I resisted the temptation to change the formation, remained patient and now things are gelling perfectly.

So in my eyes it's improved and maintained the balance of difficulty and realism pretty dam well.
There were no ME changes in update. My problem isn't the game itself. Right up to kick off its the best FM I've played. Its the silly ME bugs that annoy me. Of course these will be fixed but why can't SI just hire more staff and get these fixed before the official release??

Rename thread 'what to do if you just can't win' to 'aka brown nosing SI'

Its called Football Manager 2013. Why not release it in 2013 when the match engine is actually playable. Every year, same gig. Update update and more updates. I love the franchise but its the last time I buy it before Feb/Mar the year after release. To be fair FMC is a godsend but I cant watch a match cause of the ME. I select 'Instant Result' and win 4-0. I play and watch the match I draw 3-3. I'm oooout

I care little for SI tbh, other than the game itself i am indifferent.

Presumably you feel the same way about bug ridden fifa 12, fifa 13 releases that hit the shelves in the year preceding their title?

There were no ME changes in update. My problem isn't the game itself. Right up to kick off its the best FM I've played. Its the silly ME bugs that annoy me. Of course these will be fixed but why can't SI just hire more staff and get these fixed before the official release??

Piracy for one.

Before steam was mandatory, pirates outnumbered paying customers 3:1.

Only now are the resources available to invest more into the game, they hired plenty of people this summer, including dunc. Yes the match engine isn't perfect, but its a total rebuild from last year.

Last edited:

Yeah I know. But it can't be me though-I'm not that much of an expert. But like Jake said it's an overhaul from last year

I resent the implication that United won that match because of their tactics and not because of some terrible officiating.

So Valencia didn't have a stormer and wasn't the reason utd went 2-0 up?