What transfer risks have you takin' on in your time?

Cozzy165

Reaction score
In my most recent file I took over at Dinamo Moscow in FM11, at first it was very difficult, I needed to get to know pretty much every single player I had, bar Kevin Kuranyi. I signed and loaned players, I really shouldn't have. But I hadn't a clue where my team lacked quality, I only knew how many people I had in each position and tried to keep my squad open and balanced - I had no idea of what tactics to use in the Russian top league, just yet anyways.

I signed loads of players, and one player that caught my eye from my lackluster scouts was Adam Hlousek - a Czech playing for Slavia Prague I do believe - rated at around 3 million it was going to take a chunk out of my budget but I took the risk - within a month or two of my season, this guy was something else. My 34-year old playmaker Khocklov had found a guy who was willing to run for 90 minutes non-stop at insane speed, and his finishing wasn't bad either. He ended up winning me the league after only being expected to get 5th, and myself expecting to get much lower in my first season. He won the Golden Boot with 21 goals in 28/30 appearances. He got 12 assists on top of that, got 10 Man of the match awards and an average rating of 7.64 in 28 games. Now the Russian league is no slack league - Zenit, Rubin, CSKA, Lokomotiv, Rostov all have much higher quality teams than me, with Loko and Rostov on similar levels. Anyways he was one risk I was indeed 100% satisfied with taking. Which bears the question what risks have you takin'?

Flopping out around 4 million (50%) of my budget on some unexperienced kid, especially when I really wanted to do well in Russia, was a big risk for me anyways, at the time. Played him as AMR / Inside Striker - Worked wonders. And I'm glad I did it.

Thats the biggest risk I can remember so vividly anyways, so what have you done?

Splashed out 40 million on a flop Wayne Rooney? ;)
Or maybe spent 30 million on a Ukrainian striker with his best days behind him?

Or even, Spending 10k on a non-league striker while in League2 relegation battle - and thats your only funds?

Anyways, I wanna hear them. Good or bad - I find it very interesting. :)

Last edited:
Some African DMF, *burp*, hate DMF... on FM10 I had lorenzo cr. from Inter, turned out shity.... biggest risk ? De Gea for 15 mil euros....

Some African DMF, *burp*, hate DMF... on FM10 I had lorenzo cr. from Inter, turned out shity.... biggest risk ? De Gea for 15 mil euros....

Ouch! Very hefty price for a goalkeeper, but if they perform - worth every penny!

paid 42million for jeses navas in the second season for man city to play (amr) was a decent signing for me first half of the season slopped towards the end so replaced with milner who played alot better then him... but navas ended up being 2nd best player of the year due to performance with spain... verdict not worth 42 million

I always struggle with gk.... In fm10 I got DDG for 12 and he was ONE BIG FAIL... for now he's good... I was thinking about adler... but hes 26 mil... and thats too much :D... oh, I just remember something... started with gateshead recently, got mahoto for free, but his w. fee is 1.500... messed up wage buget and got sacked o_O big mistake... :D hope that helps :D

also paid 10 million for djibril cisse and in 30 games he only scored 6 goals... and then thought id buy vagner love for 9 million and turned out he bagged 12 goals in 12 games

Paid 170M for messi on fm 10 for liverpool. He was a total flop and couldnt adjust to thee lifestyle so sold him 3 years later for 54M... Took a loss of 116M and 275k a week in wages. Lucky i had a tycoon chairman that kept pumping money in though :)

Kelvin Etuhu for £800k with Leicester, I usually stay away from wingers as their attributes are shocking but Etuhu has performed consistantly in every game so I'm pretty happy with myself. Not exactly on the same scale as some of you guys though ;)

Considering I am with Hercules, signed Douglas Costa for £12m. Pretty big for a 'small' club like Hercules.

But never looked back as he is a constant danger our team. Scores in all occasion especially against big team like Barca and Madrid - home and away. Obviously a important match player :D

My biggest risk so far- Signing a transfer-listed Felipe Melo for Dinamo Kiev for 8 million(my whole budget) :O

On FM10 it was Messi for Man City.. £120mill, and he was rubbish..

On FM11, pretty much every transfer/loan is a risk with Walsall, from experienced old players that demand over £2k a week that could be past it, to young inexperienced players brought in on loan on the cheap that might not be able to handle it.

signed ferrie bodde as i was in need of a good playmaker spent my 4.5 million budget on him even though i needed a cb and a right winger

mr bodde played 27 games scored 8 goals and 16 assists got promoted first season verdict :) ...good buy

Best bit of business was buying Fernando Gago for £675,000 and then selling him five years later for £15m and buying Jack Rodwell and Moussa Sissoko with the money

signed pjanic for £40 million for roma, and esteban granero who i signed on a free, is doing a lot better than him, both of em joined at the same time :/

Last edited:
ive posted my good risk now heres the bad one

44 million for frank ribiery played in all 38 games of the league scored 4 goals and 3 assists :(

Alexis sanchez in my old man city game, 30 games 2 goals 3 assists for a cost of a hefty 32.5 million

4th season , with a budget of 50 mil , i bought Lucas Digne for 14mil with RSC Anderlecht & Jovetic for 14 mil too . but i've allready won CL 2 times so i'm positive :)

Despite having a debt worth double what the club is worth at Hearts, I splashed out £2.5million on Matias Defederico based on 48 months installments. Hopefully it'll pay off.