What was the first football match you went to see?

Giggles

Reaction score
Bit bored, so thought I'd put this thread up, hopefully it get a few replies.. :p

As the title says, what was the first football match you went to see? I remember mine, back when I was 4 in 2002. We [Argyle] beat Hull City 1-0, to go eleven points clear at the top. Ian Stonebridge scored and we went on to win promotion that season. After the match I asked my Dad to take me back again, and it's been a rollercoaster ride since. 2 promotions, 2 relegations, and 7 months in administration!

I can only assume the rest of you picked up the 'football bug' from your first match... If not I youprobably wouldn't be posting on these forums..

I think it was the final of the danish cup tournament in 1999, between AB and AAB... AB won 2-1, but the think i remember the most was that one of the players' "lost" his pants after a sliding tackle XD

Picture of said incident, involving the unlucky Allan Olesen follows:

View attachment 255183

The first one was SønderjyskE 2 - 2 AaB in the 05/06 season of the Danish Superliga (Or the "SAS Liga" as it was called back then). Quite an entertaining match, just a shame that we (SønderjyskE) were relegated the same season.

Last edited:
I went to Oakwell to see Barnsley Vs Ipswich in 98/99 season i think. I went with my Uncle who supports Ipswich. The goal to my left didnt have a stand behind it, just a big concrete area where no fans were, just a few security men.

I remember thinking Barnsley would win easily, have been in the prem the season before and i think they were above Ipswich in the league at this point, if i remember rightly Ipswich were mid table and were under pressure to get results. Ipswich won 2-1, no idea who scored any of the goals as i dont follow either team. Pretty sure Ipswich gained promotion that season.

My first game Rangers v Molde at Ibrox was my first game, I think it was in 2006 but not too sure. We won 2-0 so that was good. Went to see them play Aberdeen at the end of the same week and it was another victory so all was good again.

A couple of years later went to Ibrox again to see the game against Unirea and for the first time got to walk out the stadium early!:D That was following the humiliating defeat to them.

Hope to go see a load more games in the future but I live on an island so I can't just go to a game every weekend.:(

England v Macedonia at old trafford in 2007, the match was so boring I remember more about the games of fifa I had on the psp on the way than I do the actual match. Was a 0-0 draw don't even know who played in that game tbh.

Some Liverpool match which Owen scored a hat trick against Newcastle. No idea when

Arsenal 2-0 Bradford, think it was 98-99. Still have the ticket somewhere but wouldn't know where to start looking!

Celtic vs Liverpool I think in 1998, in a friendly.

Man utd vs. Macclefield Town in a freindly I couldn't believe all the famous names I saw but I can only remember Rooney and Van der Sar off the top of my head.

PORTSMOUTH V WIGAN GREAT ESCAPE SEASON MY FIRST GAME IM ONLY 13 I'VE SEEN POMPEY AT WEMBLEY 5 TIMES AND MY DAD IS 46 AND HE HAS SEEN POMPEY 5 TIMES .AT MY FIRST GAME IT WAS CRAZY EVERYONE ON THE PITCH GREATEST ESCAPE EVER THIS FOUND MY PASSION FOR FOOTBALL AND MY ONE AND ONLY PORTSMOUTH FC "WE WILL NEVER DIE"

I'm living in Ireland in a family who has no interest in football -.- I'm 16 and still haven't seen a 'proper' football match. I went to Liverpool Legends v Celtic Legends but that doesn't count. Quite depressing really :p

Norwich 1-3 Plymouth in January 2007 (Championship). Out of the four goals, three were free-kicks (one for City and two for Plymouth).

Norwich 1-3 Plymouth in January 2007 (Championship). Out of the four goals, three were free-kicks (one for City and two for Plymouth).

Akos Buzsacky- Genius.

I bet you enjoyed your first match, seeing a top quality team like Argyle ;)

no angry face mate pretending i didn't know who you were supporter of.pretty obvious looking at your comment and profile lol