Which Match Engine do you prefer, FM13 or FM12?

Maximus94

Reaction score
Simply as the title asks, which ME do you prefer and why?

I personally prefer the FM12 engine, because it had less problems and it seemed more fluid to me.

fm12 was alot better, they tried to hard this year and failed

If I'm honest I actually prefer FM13, I've not been unlucky as some with the match engine and generally my experience has been good (aside from the odd bug/mistake). FM13 seems more realistic to me and seems to flow better, I'm probably one of the only people here who thinks this though!

FM13 easily, old one wasn't going anywhere, had far too many exploits and was too easy to abuse.

This one is more realistic now that they're really ironing out some of the issues, passing game seems IMO much better to watch on this one. You get more out of it if you put more time in which is nice and unlike FM12 you can't just do one of about twelve different exploits to faceroll the game.

FM13 is my first FM experience, and I must say I love everything about the game other than how unresponsive the ME seems.

From videos and tactics I've viewed, the FM13 ME seems to just hand the ball back to the opposition when I'm playing a possession tactic, even with Barca on full fluidity! On FM12, it seems the team follows your instructions more.

Is this the case?

I personally prefer the FM12 engine, because it had less problems and it seemed more fluid to me.

It was actually more static. Which is why people liked it. You also could play a poacher and score 80 goals. Which was a pretty massive flaw. But no one seems to care because they could win.

FM13 hands down. Attributes matter even more, its no longer predominately about pace. You have to think a little bit more. You get rewarded a lot more when you get it right, and punished when you get it wrong.

Although its moot, since the latter is an objectively better engine and they wont be going back ever.

Last edited:
If I'm honest I actually prefer FM13, I've not been unlucky as some with the match engine and generally my experience has been good (aside from the odd bug/mistake). FM13 seems more realistic to me and seems to flow better, I'm probably one of the only people here who thinks this though!

Exactly the same thoughts myself.

It was actually more static. Which is why people liked it. You also could play a poacher and score 80 goals. Which was a pretty massive flaw. But no one seems to care because they could win.

FM13 hands down. Attributes matter even more, its no longer predominately about pace. You have to think a little bit more. You get rewarded a lot more when you get it right, and punished when you get it wrong.

Although its moot, since the latter is an objectively better engine and they wont be going back ever.
I do have to agree with you on that, it seems as though the change from FM12 to FM13 was bigger than usual and players found it quite unusual and uncomfortable.

I do have to agree with you on that, it seems as though the change from FM12 to FM13 was bigger than usual and players found it quite unusual and uncomfortable.

Yeah there was a huge leap, which was made worse by the 13.2 patch not being great. And made even worse by the many misconceptions that float around here, such as people think attacking football must be played on fluid (CANNOT STRESS HOW MUCH THIS IS NOT TRUE) What FM14 needs badly is documentation akin to TT&F 10, but scaled down.

On FM12 I could adjust to tactics, on FM13 nothing seems to work for me, tried everything and it's gone as far as being beaten 5-0 by QPR as Arsenal.

Fm13 hands down. FM12 engine was very choppy and static as Mike. said above. Not that it's perfect, or anywhere near it, still has tons of stupid bugs, but it seems to be the first FM ME that I've understood tactically very quickly. Most of the ideas I want to implement, I am able to. Of course, some things work waaay too good than in real life, such as an overly high defensive line.

Fm13 without a doubt. It feels closer to the real thing, the movement of players and ball (maybe a bit too little deceleration on dry?,, but in FM12 it was way too much, and it was more of if successful ball goes to stop at player's feet or just in the right point ahead). As pointed before, I've not seen the several exploits that I read about in earlier versions.

There's better keeping of the defensive line depth, in previous versions I had trouble seeing any difference between deep and pushed forward, now I see it clearly.

Still keeps the tendency of defensive throw-ins being thrown directly at lonely opponents, though seems quite less frequent than in past versions.

In general I feel the direction of the changes is very good. The FM13 only has made decide that I shall reward it buying FM14.

Mike. said:
the many misconceptions that float around here, such as people think attacking football must be played on fluid (CANNOT STRESS HOW MUCH THIS IS NOT TRUE)

Oh yes, there's quite a lot of those. Worth a thread, to be honest. Also what is a CCC and the degree of importance of the long shots slider and work ball into box shout regarding how many long shots are taken.

Last edited:
Players running through each other in previous game, or proper realistic football in FM13 when players dribble round each other, passing as it's meant to be, extremely hard to come by exploits etc etc

It's a no brainer

My poacher actually got 92 goals one season. I always thought it was because i was so epic (H)

Seriously though FM12 was pretty lame and easily exploited, its easy to see why the noobs loved it.

My poacher actually got 92 goals one season. I always thought it was because i was so epic (H)

Seriously though FM12 was pretty lame and easily exploited, its easy to see why the noobs loved it.

oh is that an exploit in FM12?!?!?! wand here i was thinking i bought an awesome player lol and hes only 4th best of my own strikers according to my coaches. you've just taken away all my sense of accomplishment for wbing top one league one. but on the other hand he's been injured for the last 2 months and ive been without a pocher as well.

anyway how much of the bugs in FM 13 have been ironed out? can i buy it now without fear of tearing my hair out?

I was skeptical at first, but 13 is definitely better. Things just make more sense and work how you think they should.
As for bugs, I barely see any anymore, and they aren't that bad. Definitely nowhere near as buggy as it was on release.

oh is that an exploit in FM12?!?!?! wand here i was thinking i bought an awesome player lol and hes only 4th best of my own strikers according to my coaches. you've just taken away all my sense of accomplishment for wbing top one league one. but on the other hand he's been injured for the last 2 months and ive been without a pocher as well.

anyway how much of the bugs in FM 13 have been ironed out? can i buy it now without fear of tearing my hair out?

Not really many bugs in FM 13 now, its a lot harder than FM 12 which some noobs class as a bug but its just more realistic. Its moving towards a situation where you need to change your match strategy depending on the match. Personally i will miss plug and play tactics but sometimes you have to involve. I can see FM 14 being even harder.

Oh and yes fm12 had a huge striker bug, sorry, particularly if you set them to attack near post on corners and place your corners there ;)

Not really many bugs in FM 13 now, its a lot harder than FM 12 which some noobs class as a bug but its just more realistic. Its moving towards a situation where you need to change your match strategy depending on the match. Personally i will miss plug and play tactics but sometimes you have to involve. I can see FM 14 being even harder.

Oh and yes fm12 had a huge striker bug, sorry, particularly if you set them to attack near post on corners and place your corners there ;)

Players could literally run through each other like they were not there. So a quick poacher was almost unstoppable. Glad that is gone.

I think 14 will be harder in that more flaws will be removed, so the ME will be more realistic. But it might also become easier by making information more transparent to the user. What upsets a lot of people is that they cant see why something isnt working. FM lags behind on this part. needs proper guides to be released with it. unfair to expect a new user to go to the forums for basic advice

Last edited: