Which striker should Fabio Capello leave out of his England squad for World Cup 2010?

RSm

Reaction score
Here are the contenders:

Darren Bent

97040_news.jpg

Club:
Sunderland

Caps: 5

Goals: 0

Castrol Ranking: 123

Pros: Only Wayne Rooney and Didier Drogba scored more Premier League goals this season. Scored exactly half of Sunderland's 48 league goals.

Cons: Has never translated club form to international level. Floundered as a partner for Rooney in friendly against Brazil last year.

Peter Crouch

46309_news.jpg

Club:
Tottenham

Caps: 38

Goals: 21

Castrol Ranking: 471

Pros: Scoring ratio at international level is second to none in the England squad.

Cons: Something of a flat-track bully, with most of his goals coming against international minnows.

Jermain Defoe

13490_news.jpg

Club:
Tottenham

Caps: 40

Goals: 11

Castrol Ranking: 30

Pros: Excellent season with Spurs, and has scored fairly relentlessly ever since being unlucky enough to miss out on the 2006 World Cup squad.

Cons: Another not to translate his club form to international level. Not an ideal partner for Rooney.

Emile Heskey

55233_news.jpg

Club:
Aston Villa

Caps: 57

Goals: 7

Castrol Ranking: 1477

Pros: A great team-mate; players love his selflessness and work-rate. An excellent foil for Rooney.

Cons: Out of touch in front of goal - both for Villa and England. If Capello picks on goalscoring form alone, then Heskey is the obvious choice to miss out.

Heskey. Never understood why he was picked over Zamora

EDIT: Defoe has to be left out, he's just terrible.

Last edited:
Heskey. Never understood why he was picked over Zamora
he asked zamora, who told him that he wouldnt be fit enough to cope with the world cup

Heskey without a doubt. I have a feeling Bent is only lacking in confidence because of his limited opportunities, and could still come good yet.

Heskey does really well for other players, but i think Bent. Not good enough for me

i say we have to take all 5 because we need defoe and bent for the group stage so rooney won't get injured, crouch gives us height even though he is better with his feet which will surprise some nations, and then we absolutely have to take and play heskey in the hope that our usual big injury happens to him and not a star like rooney or gerrard.

just wondered what that Castrol Ranking is?

The Castrol Rankings is the world's first rankings based on the actual performance of every football player across Europe's top five leagues

So you would drop someone who scored 24 league goals and keep someone who has scored 5 goals in all competitions oO)
It's not ALL about goals y'know, just because he is an ST. If the team benefits from him playing, why the **** not!

The Castrol Rankings is the world's first rankings based on the actual performance of every football player across Europe's top five leagues

Defoe has a place on that then. can't argue with 30th best player in Europe.

if Rooney is to be played on his own, there is no need of Heskey either. so that's another negative on him.

Last edited:
Heskey played 7 of the 10 qualifiers and scored 1 goal and hasnt scored since Feb and thats for Villa if he goes to the WC England are doomed. Although I am quoting ITV commentators and they are ****.

He. Is. ****.

End. Of.