• Thread starter Thread starter ZeCarlos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 62
  • Views Views 9K

ZeCarlos

Reaction score
Prologue:
23rd of May, 2011

But Jason, why don’t these teams interest you?” asked my instructor, who had taken me through the UEFA Pro Licence,

They just don’t, Sir. I’m not justified to take those jobs,” I answered,

You’re not justified? You’ve proven to have the same managerial qualities as Jose and AVB – maybe even better. How can’t you be justified?” he snapped back,

There are other managers out there – you know… experienced. They deserve jobs like that. I wouldn’t feel comfortable jumping in. I want to start at the bottom and if I’m as great as you say, you’ll hear my name in a few years. I’m thankful for your help though, Sir. I’ll never forget it,” I stood up and held out my hand,

If you ever need me then son, I’m here. If you see something which interests you, give me a call. I’m sure you’re aware of my contacts.

He shook my hand with a smile and I left the headquarters with one of the best marks ever recorded on the UEFA Pro Licence course. What I’d said in there was right… I wasn’t justified for a big position yet. I wanted to get to work – but only somewhere I felt comfortable. I understood there was a very big queue for work – and I was at the very back of it.

16th of June, 2011

As soon as I seen the vacancy, I picked the phone straight up. It rang several times before the recognizable voice answered,

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me, Jason. I've seen something I want. Something I need," I quickly replied,

"You seem eager," he chuckled, "what is it, son?"

"Ajax," I replied, "under 17's. It's a great club and-" I was interrupted,

"It's yours. I'll get on the phone now. Don't let yourself down son, you deserve a good job and this is it. This is your chance. Take it with both arms. I'll contact the club and let them know of your interest. I'd be expecting a job offer in the coming days if I was you. Good luck son." the line went dead before I could reply.

I put the phone down in shock at being virtually guaranteed the job. Sure, it was just the Under 17's but it was a prestigious club. It's a club I could get recognized at whilst not making too much of a fuss with the young lads. Perfect.

Chapter One:
9th of April, 2012
Venue: De Toekomst

I stood and applauded an absolutely stunning goal. It only further emphasized the talent we faced in several hours' time and fabricated more claims we would be involved in the hardest match of our season so far. A young lad had past one player, then two, then three and finally four. He slid the ball left to his team-mate and ran back on the outside screaming for the return. His team-mate looked to be selfish and cut in to take the shot himself before soon realizing he was being crowded out. He lay it back off to the young lad - Mitchell was the name a fellow spectator called out - and the ball was curled over the goalkeeper from the angle of the box with his left foot before the defense, or the goalkeeper, had even moved. Pure class.

That goal put the game to bed as Manchester United took a comfortable two nil lead over their German counterparts, Bayern Munich. They were playing for a place in the final of the Aegon Future Cup against ourselves, Ajax. We had beaten the mighty Barcelona on penalties in our semi-final and fully deserved our chance of winning the tournament. Sure, we weren't playing Messi and co, but we had beaten a strong Under 17 side full of potential who were the next generation of this "pass and move" game.

As the full time whistle blew, I quickly made my way out of the enclosed pitch as to avoid the oncoming crowds, quickly dispersing from the great game of football into the second pitch for the third-placed game between Barcelona and Bayern Munich. As much as I would have liked to watch that particular game, I had to get my own young lads ready. They would be once again performing on the main pitch at Sportpark De Toekomst - this time fighting it out in the final of the competition. If we could use our potential and win the annual tournament, it would be the perfect way to end our season. After winning the league with several games to go, we could afford to relax in anticipation of hosting the greatest academies on the planet. We had easily proceeded from a group comprised of Desportivo, Besiktas and Manchester United, winning all games - including an important one nil victory over United.

To be continued...

Great Start mate, looks really good and i am very intrigued!

Thanks mate, feedback is much appreciated! :)

Continued...

I trusted my lads to be sensible with the training regime. I’d given my coaches something suitable as the first, very tough game of the day against Barcelona had taken it out of us. Although I’d given the team something to be working on, I’d allocated a little free time on the training pitch which we had been given for the day so they could relax and do a little work on any muscles they personally felt tightening as the schedule got forever more demanding and the final soon approached. In a way, I felt for the players. Having two games in one day against top class opposition was demanding – but we also had to remember Manchester United face exactly the same schedule so it was neither a disadvantage nor advantage at this point. I looked at the opposition team-sheet for the match and the superb Mitchell wasn't starting; I was slightly surprised but I was also extremely glad as he looked key. He may have gotten tired after being so influential in the win over Bayern.

After having a relaxed, yet sensible, two hours in the run-up to the final, I gathered the lads around the whole centre-circle and took stage in the middle. This was my moment to inspire these players to further glory. It was all we had left to win this year and I had to create something inside of these players to make them get out there and do it.

This is it lads, this is why we are here. We didn’t beat the worlds ‘best’ academy to lose now. Manchester United are a very good side. I set our training regime up to get you used to how they play. They will pressure us when we’re on the ball and they’ll be very physical. Short, quick passes and great movement from every single one of you will win this. Nothing less, nothing more. I – we – need you at your very best right now. Nothing else will matter. We get out there, we play football. We show them how we do it in Holland and we give them a ****** good game. Don’t be scared to stick a challenge in. Frank is watching this one so this is your chance to stake a claim. We’ve got the crowd on our side today, so let’s use that to our advantage. Get the atmosphere bouncing and let’s worry them from the off. Let’s do it boys. This is up to you from now.

The lads began cheering as my assistant guides them into the main arena. I follow soon after and approach my opposite manager, Paul McGuinness,

Good luck, mate. All the best” I say before giving a quick handshake and wink,

You too, son. May the best team win.” he gives a smile back,

I settle down in my seat in anticipation of the first whistle and before long, the game is off. We're quick out of the starting blocks and close the opposition down very quickly. We don't allow them much time on the ball and our passing is good, slick. The surface isn't in pristine condition as you'd expect for such a big game, but we don't seem affected.

We win a corner early on and send all the big lads forward, with the small ones sitting back. It's a great ball swung in, but it's cleared once again by the big United centre-half, Cooper. He already seems to be the main thing between us and their goal and I'll look to change the system if that continues long into the game. From the clearance, a midfielder picks the ball up and has a surging run through the centre. The opposition striker drifts out side unmarked and the ball is played into his path. The energetic midfielder continues his run as the ball is knocked across the face of goal and he slides in to give United a vital goal. We had dominated so far, and somehow found ourselves one nil down.

After conceding, we continued to dominate. We looked very comfortable on the ball and created frequent chances. The condition of the pitch continued to deteriorate and before long, several players were losing their footing. Soon before half-time, we conceded a sloppy goal. We were forcing United through sustained pressure and allowed everyone forward apart from our centre-half and left back. A headed clearance found it's way to our left back who played a simple ball across to his fellow defender. As he went to take a touch, his boot slipped in the horrible conditions and the first goalscorer nipped in. With nobody back, he surged away from the recovering defender and coolly slotted it under our number one. It was a very poor goal to concede, but the defender wasn't at fault and simply lost his footing.

Half-time soon came around and it was needed. We had dominated every statistic possible, yet found ourselves two nil down. I had to convince the players to continue on with their sustained pressure,

"Come on lads, this isn't over. Yes, we've been unlucky for the two goals but we're not at fault here. These things happen; we all know we've got great team spirit and this is the time we need to show it boys. Everything is fine and dandy whilst we're winning - but losing and sticking together is a great thing only few can do. We want this, right? We're not going to get beat on home soil. Take it right down to the wire if you have to, boys, it doesn't matter. If you can recover against arguably the best academy, then we are the best. This is your chance to prove yourselves. One last push lads!" The players jogged back out onto the pitch and looked hyped up.

Play was restarted soon after and the domination continued. Passes were becoming more and more adventurous and they were accurate, too. Confidence was obviously high in the team and they believed in themselves again. Our captain began barking out orders, like always, which showed they were up for it. They were going to make a battle out of this one.

Midway through the second period, with our centre-half and left back once again the only two back, the ball was cleared. Our centre-half took a touch and whacked the ball forward. It hung up in the air for several seconds before the intended target became obvious. As the ball dropped, it looped over the opposition defence and bounced right in front of the keeper. Such was the force, the bounce took it straight over the keeper and into the back of the net. It may have been a poor goal, but I'm sure the team really didn't care right now. We had pulled one back and had fifteen minutes to score another.

After our goal, United seemed to begin taking control of the game. They slowed things right down and kept possession, something you'd expect from such a top class team. They played little, quick passes and got everybody involved, stretching us from right to left. They earned a corner and it swung in left-footed towards our near post. A scramble followed and I'm not quite sure whether any spectator seen what happened due to the sheer number of players involved. The ball was knocked off of the post before somebody booted clear and we survived once more. Was it a sign of things to come? Maybe it would be our day?

With our fifteen minutes nearly up to find an equaliser, we found it. Some quick football released our left winger and he beat his man to the by-line. With team-mates lining up in the centre for the cross, he dragged it back towards the penalty spot where our centre-half stood. I'm not quite sure why, but I don't really care. Desperate times call for desperate measures. He took one touch under an opposition defender and with the keeper already pouncing on the ball, he smashed it goal wards. With about four opposition players on the line, it some how found it's way through and we had our goal!

Time was soon up and it had went to penalties. If we could win now, it would be a great achievement. Bayern, United and Barca were all tipped to do better than us. We took our penalty first. A great strike gave us an advantage which was soon clawed back by an equally good spot-kick. Once again, our player stepped up and planted it in the back of the net. This time, though, United's penalty taker couldn't match ours and our number one got down well to keep it out. Advantage Ajax! The next four penalties were scored, leaving it to our star-man to win it. He stepped up, looking so so cool. He kept his nerves and smashed it in the corner! We had won the Aegon Future Cup!

The players sprinted off frantically to celebrate in the corner with our fans whilst I approached opposition staff and players to offer my hand in a great match.

"You were unlucky, Sir. Great match. All the best for the future," I held my hand out firmly for Mr McGuinness

"Well done, mate," he smiled at me, "truly well done. Fully deserved. Go and enjoy it with your boys." he shook my hand and pointed out at my lads.

I didn't really have a chance to give the lads a talk after that fantastic win, but I'm sure they know how proud I am of them. They celebrated like mad with the supporters on the sideline and players' parents and families were all so proud. Several youth teams of the area had came to watch too, so it must have been a great spectacle for them. The celebrations were wild and when we were eventually awarded the trophy, the crowd and players went wild. It was great moment in my first season in charge. I'd won everything which was available to me. As I cleared out my things from the changing room to take back to my apartment, my phone rang...

"Hello, Jason. Well done on the success! Frank just told me," it was the club chairman,

"Ah, thanks! Great to serve such a prestigious club!" I replied,

"Ah, I feel the same, son," he paused for a moment, "Hey, Jase... I have an interesting proposition for you. Meet me in the restaurant of the Hotel De L Europe tonight at eight? Be smart, you're meeting some new people. Keep this one quiet for now though, yeah?"

"Yeah, no bother, Sir," I answered,

"Good, and I want to ask you now to keep your options open. Anything can happen, son," he chuckled, "I'll catch you later."

To be continued...

Continued... (6 hours later)

I took a step out of my M3 Coupe and picked up my suit jacket before closing the door, pressing the 'lock' button on my keys and checking the door. I took a glance at the admirable, majestic hotel before sliding on my jacket and crossing the road in between passing cars - the traffic was pretty bad in this part of town at night. Unsurprisingly, though, as it was a hot-stop for romantic couples. Tonight was no change as several couples holding hands and sharing a smile passed on my short walk to the hotel front door.

As I entered, the inside of the building was just as magnificent as the outside. The interior reminded me of an old American movie - my claims were vindicated furthermore when a fairly pompous man approached and asked for my jacket. As he walked off with a smile on his face, I approached the bar asked for a gin and tonic, plenty of ice. Before the barmaid had returned, I felt a hand on my shoulder:

"Ah, Jason," the club chairman quickly appeared before me, "nice to see you, son. Safe journey?" he asked,

"Sure, Sir. Yourself?"

"Yes, yes," he turned around for a second before signalling someone to approach, "Jason, I want you to meet Rene ter Borgh, chairman of Almere City FC,"

I turned around to find a youngish gentleman standing behind me with a rise smile. He shook my hand and began speaking,

"Hello, Mr Mann," he cleared his throat, "Hennie here was telling me on your success earlier today, well done may I say,"

"Ah, thank you. It's the players you should be congratulating - they ran around on that horrible pitch for an hour - not me!" We both chuckled before Hennie intervened,

"Mr. Borgh has an interesting offer for you, Jason. I'm heading to the toiler - back soon gentleman," he calmly walked off,

"Ah, yes, as Hennie was saying. Ajax and Almere share a strong connection together, Mr. Mann. Our manager recently left due to family reasons and Hennie told me you're right for me - for us. Our former manager left us in a great position for promotion with only two games left," he took a sip of a clear drink he had ordered seconds before,

"Promotion?" I nodded my head, "What league, may I ask?" I responded,

"Jupiler, uh, Sir," he answered,

"Promotion to the Jupiler? Hm, interesting," he interrupted,

"No, no, Sir. Promotion to the Eredivisie," he took another sip, "We currently play in the Jupiler. We were tipped for relegation at the beginning of the season, but due to some good fortune we find ourselves already guaranteed a play-off spot for entrance to the Eredivisie. We have only two games left before the normal season officially ends - which will, if you accept, hopefully be enough time for you to become comfortable with the club before you're really put to work."

He coolly pulled out a piece of paper from a small bag he was carrying and slid it across the table,

"A two year contract," he continued, "1,500 euros a week starting now. A further 50,000 euro bonus just for signing on," my eyes widened as I read over the contract - he was being serious about the money. It outweighed the 400 euros a week I was on now by quite a sum,

"That's, that's," I stuttered but coolly nodded my head, "a great, great offer, Sir," Hennie reappeared and took a seat,

"Interested, son?" he asked,

"It's very, very tempting - I can't deny," I replied,

"Oh, and if all goes well - me and Rene have agreed you could be staring the Ajax first-team job right in the face," he smiled,

"Yes, that's right Mr. Mann. I - the club - wouldn't reject any advance from Hennie and you're clearly showing promise to my trusted associate," Rene added, "So what's it to be?"

"Two years?" I asked, with two nodding heads giving me the response, "Pass the pen - I'd be delighted to be on board." I replied with rise smile and calm wink.

I like this, it's a good start.I'm definitely following :)

I'd just like to say that this update was originally planned to be longer - so this is really only the first part of what I wanted to put up - but since I fell behind, I wanted to give you guys something. So, it may not be any good, but here's something I've already written up.

Chapter Two:
Meeting The Team.
10th of April, 2012

I took a last sip of my coffee which I'd bought on the short journey from the centre of Amsterdam to Almere. Although much of the community seemed negative and downbeat in places, the mass construction which planned to overturn the small towns' fortunes was well under way. Beautiful properties were beginning to spring up in the area and the place had a fresh presence about it.

As I finished the coffee, I took a deep breath and got out of my luxurious car which I'd parked in the specially reserved 'Manager' spot. As I walked to the main entrance of the recently built complex, I disposed of my empty cup and stuck on my jacket. I entered the main building of the facilities and was greeted with a smile from the receptionist. She briefly pointed down a corridor before continuing on her involvement in the phone conversation. The door was large and as I opened, a fresh smell hit me and I took a quick look around. My office was large, clean and the furniture was up-to-date. I took a quick look at my e-mail inbox - nothing.

I headed out onto the training field and approached my new players. A silence fell on the team as I took position in front of them.

"Right boys," I started, "I see you're all eager to return to training so I'll make a quick introduction before letting you off. It's uh," I took a moment to think, "great to meet you all. As you all know, I'm your new manager, Jason Mann. Don't call me 'Mr. Mann' as I don't pay you. My name is Jason - or Jase - to you lot. I come from Sunderland, a small place in Northern England which you probably haven't heard of as most people haven't. It's not the greatest place as I child, I can't deny, but it taught me some great moral values. I want to make it clear to all of you that if you have a problem - please approach me. I'm more than happy to talk to any one of you and I'm not the type of manager to scream at you - unless it's required. I understand the position you are in - we have two games to prepare for the real business of a possible promotion. You've all obviously played above expectations this year and that's great, but we need to maintain that. We have three days to prepare for my first game in charge. That's three days for every single one of you to impress me. That times starts right now. Training will be taken by my assistant and coaches, all of which you're familiar with. I will be keeping a watchful eye over every move made on this complex so your attitude - on and off the pitch - has to be something great. Anyway lads, enough of the time wasting, get yourselves out there and work hard. Good luck."

To be continued...​

Last edited:
When's the next update mate ?always follow your stories :)

Chapter Two:
Matchday 33.
13th of April, 2012

I made it to my seat with just seconds to spare. This was it. This was my first game in charge. Fortuna Sittard sat near the bottom of the table, very much within the relegation battle. We had still caught them at a bad time, though, as they were currently on a great run of form. Several weeks ago, they were rooted to the bottom of the table looking destined for the third tier. Several consecutive wins had given them a chance of survival though and they pinpointed our game to pick up points as it meant nothing to us any more. Well, that's what they thought. I had other ideas in mind. This was my chance to showcase why I had done so well on several different courses and just why my Ajax U17 side were feared everywhere. This wasn't just my chance, though, as the whole team were continually trying to prove themselves too me in the know that the Promotion/Relegation play-off's were just around the corner.

We started brightly. I'd picked one or two players who beforehand had normally been left out of first-team selection, but I had seen a spark in them throughout the last three days. Sluijter, just one of those players, created the first real chance. He nut-megged one, danced around another two before sliding a delightful ball out to the opposite flank for the forward-rushing Meulens. He cut in with his first and shot with his second. The strike was lethal, although the opposition keeper managed to tip it on to the bar. Unlucky from our point of view, but a great save nonetheless.

From the resulting corner, we struck gold. Sluijter whipped the ball in and a defender headed away. Sluijter desperately tried to regain control of the situation and took one touch from outside the area. The keeper, expecting a whipped in cross, had already made his advances out to the edges of the six-yard box and Sluijter made no mistake in embarrassing the keeper - beating him at his front post. Come on!

Several minutes later, the opposition were reduced to ten men. Meulens once again had the beating of the opposition left-back, knocking the ball through his legs to race clean through on goal. As his opposite number realised the situation over Meulens certain of a goal, he wiped away his legs on the edge of the area. The referee had no choice as he was the last defender standing.

Minutes before half-time, we doubled out lead. Meulens knocked in a delicious ball and as Sluijter rose to nod home, a defender pushed him. Penalty. Resodihardjo stepped up, sending the keeper the wrong way. Come on!

Just seconds later, our opposition had another sent off. Straight from kick-off, we won the ball back. Hollart looked up to knock the ball forward and an opposition midfielder slid in two-footed to earn himself an early bath.

Half-time

"This is great lads. You're knocking it round the opposition great and they look no match. The pace on both wings is outstanding so credit to you two, Sluijter and Meulens - keep that up. The defence look tight and the midfield passing is great. Keep this up and stake your claim for a permanent first-team spot. Come on lads!"

The second half was started much in the same way as the first. We controlled possession, chances, passing and most of all - the opposition. Just before the hour mark, we had a third. Felixdaal, the sitting midfielder in my implemented formation, played a neat through-ball for Ribeiro and dinked the keeper from only eight yards out. A great end to an even better move.

Straight from the opposition kick-off, we scored another. We pinched the ball back and Felixdaal found himself in the same position as where he gained his assist from. As he swivelled, fooling one player, he struck an absolute screamer. Top corner. Come on!

Following our fourth goal, we continued to control the game and saw the rest of it out with the same scoreline.

Full-time

"Well done lads! Fantastic performance topped off with a good scoreline and some great goals! Everybody out there was outstanding today and I want you to carry it into the forthcoming games. We have one last game of the season before the play-off's start, so you're half way there to cementing your first-team spots. Well done - I'll see you all tomorrow at training!"

End result: 4-0

Last edited:
Back