Who is Pedro?

Already one of the best poachers in the world, starting for the best team in the world, and only 23. With a good 10 years ahead of him, he could well become one of the greatest strikers ever.

He's different to all the other Barcelona forwards which is why he is so clinical imo..

David Villa is arguably the best poacher in World football. If you give him a chance, 9/10 times he will tuck it away and give your side a goal. However, he tends to prefer cutting in off the wing which is why he isn't prolific as he maybe sometimes should be. Don't think he's ever scored more than 35 in a season which he is easily capable of in a squad that he's in today..

Lionel Messi is Lionel Messi. A natural winger playing centrally and revelling in his role. Arguably one of the best finishers in the world and like Villa, 9/10 he'll put away the chance you give him. Flair, dribbling, vision and pace are his main attributes and it shows in his play.

However, both of these players don't really like shooting from range. They prefer the ball in the box where they can just slot the ball past the keeper without any pressure. Of course they are both capable, but they don't do it.

Pedro, doesn't care. Wherever he's put on the pitch, he gives 100% effort everytime and gives them that something different. He's just as direct as Messi and Villa, just as good a dribbler and flair player. But not only does he keep everything simple he isn't scared to do something wrong. He knows that if he shoots from 25 yards it's more than likely not to go in, but he doesn't mind missing which is what makes him so great. He brings fearlessness to the Barca side and it's essential to the way they play. He's usually the first player to press the ball when they lose it and it sets a trend for the rest of the team to press and attack the ball to win it back and rebuild their attacks. He's also very capable defensively, always tracking back to help out Dani Alves who loves to bomb forward and can do a job. His fitness is out of this world too..

Amazing player, will go down as a legend.. if only he'd been discovered as a bright teenager, not a late teen...

Pedro is definitely extremely underrated, just because he's not one of the 'star' players of the best team in the world.
I <3 him.

you would be scoring loads if you were playing alongside messi and villa... but yeah the kids a quality player.. FM doesnt do him justice

Obviously he is a great player, otherwise he wouldn´t be a starter in a team like Barcelona but I doubt that he would be able to perform in any other team. Though he probably won´t leave so I guess he will continue scoring :)

Fantastic player and works really well in the three with Messi and Villa. Glad Barcelona didn't sign Torres because I don't think it would have worked as well. Pedro is amazing but still not as good as Messi, no one is.

He is the most underrated player in the world..

He is clearly a WORLD CLASS player. He scored 8 goals in last 7 matches. He cannot be average. Also he along with Xavi,Iniesta etc makes goals for Messi and Villa and is a complete player..!!

So much underrated on FM too!! ;(

Pedro is class and he is going to become one of the most feared players in the world if he continues this way. Mark my words lads

He is Pep Guardiola's pet but Pedro remains in the Barcelona shadows
The Spain winger has remained largely unappreciated despite his record-breaking feats with Barcelona

uEqHO.jpg

Pedro celebrates with Lionel Messi, his Barcelona team-mate who so often overshadows him. Photograph: Lluis Gene/AFP/Getty Images

Pep Guardiola was a proud man as he sat in the stands at the home of his club's great rivals, Real Madrid, nearly a year ago. He was proud of the performance that had earned his Barcelona team a 2-0 victory, a crucial and ultimately definitive result in the title race. He was proud, too, of the man who had scored the second goal. "It is time," Guardiola said gravely, "that we had a serious talk about Pedro."

Pedro, the youngster Guardiola had kept at the Camp Nou against the advice of the technical staff; the kid he had taught himself. The player with whom he had won promotion from Spain's regionalised third division, with its 360 teams, and who, less than two years later, had just scored in the most important club match of all.

Pedro Eliezer Rodríguez Ledesma is irreplaceable to Barcelona. He is a World Cup winner and a world record holder – the only footballer to have scored in six different club competitions in a calendar year. He had won everything before his 23rd birthday. But Guardiola had a point when he said Pedro should be taken more seriously. Almost a year later, he still has.

That day last April, while Guardiola was sitting at the Santiago Bernabéu, he explained: "Pedro has become vital for us, absolutely fundamental. He is a role model, a great. He always exceeds expectations."

And yet those expectations remain surprisingly low. While Catalonia might be talking seriously about Pedro, it can feel as though few others are. Beyond Barcelona there is still an assumption that he is one of few players in the Barça team who is not really that good.

Pedro denies it publicly, but others insist that during the clásico Cristiano Ronaldo looked at him and said: "And who are you?" Even if the story is apocryphal – and it may be – it says something. Others would ask the same thing. When Fernando Torres left Liverpool for Chelsea, many wondered why he did not hang on for a bid from Barcelona. The answer was simple: there would not be one, because of Pedro.

When Guardiola arrived at Barcelona, the technical reports recommended that, because of the disbanding of the C team following Barcelona B's relegation, Pedro return home to Tenerife, where his father pumps petrol at the forecourt he built with his own hands. But Guardiola wanted a winger and Pedro was the one. Together they won promotion with Barça B. Guardiola was promoted to the first team. Pedro and Sergio Busquets joined him. Soon, they were in the Spain squad: both started against Holland in the World Cup final. As Guardiola puts it, they went from Cassà de la Selva – the only place Barça B lost that season – to world champions in 18 months.

Pedro played 14 games in the first division and 27 in the second in 2008-09. He spent the week training with the first team only to play with the second team. "I was unfair on him and yet he never complains," Guardiola says. "He scores for the B and comes back on Monday, happy as anything."

Soon, there was no way back. In 2009 he scored in the league, the Champions League, the European and Spanish Super Cups and the Copa del Rey. He headed in the 88th-minute equaliser that helped Barcelona win the World Club Championship and set that six-competition record. By the end of last season, he had scored 12 in the league.

"He has an eye for goal," says Guardiola, who considers him as deadly as Messi in the penalty area. Madrid should know: he has scored in his past two games against them. "If Pedro was Brazilian," Guardiola famously said, "he'd be called Pedrinho and we wouldn't have enough money to afford him."

When he opened the scoring against Hércules two weeks ago, it made Pedro the first Barça player in 14 years to score in six successive matches. When he opened the scoring against Espanyol, it was the fifth time he had started with Villa and Messi – and the fourth time Barça hit five. In their next five games, they scored 17. He has scored 21 in La Liga, the Champions League and the Spanish Cup already. And he has seven league assists. But for Guardiola there is more to Pedro than goals.

Few coaches are as tactically obsessive as Guardiola, as keen on two key points: positioning and pressure. Pedro offers width on either side: stats show that while Villa and Messi drift to the centre, Pedro opens up the pitch. He is fast, genuinely two-footed, and his movement is startlingly intelligent and so often decisive.

"My job is to go outside and create width," he says. "Or come in between the centre-back and the full-back. I have to fill in the space quickly, coordinate with the midfielders and make sure no one runs a counterattack on us."

Guardiola has just one complaint: that Pedro is "too humble". He does not take on his man enough and is too ready to drop off the ball to Messi. Yet that is the flip side of the same coin that makes Pedro so valuable. It is the dynamism, intelligence and solidarity that most pleases Guardiola. Pedro chases down defenders, forces mistakes, wins the ball – and rarely loses it. That pressure pulls the whole team forward: the coach describes him as "contagious". Pedro, says Guardiola, is "the image of the team".

And not just any team.

-- Sid Lowe

He is not getting the appreciation he deserves. Even Spain were so fluent when he played instead of Torres. Excellent player and very underrated.

Pedro > Torres

I think he is a better player than torres who i think isn't the same player

Absolute class, he will never be regarded as that though! Better than Villa, easily, so underrated its unbelievable.

Absolute class, he will never be regarded as that though! Better than Villa, easily, so underrated its unbelievable.

David Villa is the best striker in the world bar none mare. Pedro is very good player but to compare with Villa is bit OTT

Yeah Pedro is so underrated. Someone mentioned see the goals he scored. Don't look at that, half of them are well through balls from other players which falls to his feet (but full credit on his off the ball movement though).

See how he plays during matches. He really make a difference. He's no dribbling god like Messi or composed finisher as Villa or master playmaker like Xavi but he really plays well - well at least in the Barca system. His speed is unbelievable by the way, probably one of the fasted player in the world right now in terms of pace.

I actually bought him before his debut as Barca player where in that year he scored on all 6 competition on my Leeds save back in 07 or 08, he wasn't even 'that' good in terms of the stats that version.. So I was glad to spot him before most people did and turns out to be a very very good player.

and yeah in overall, Pedro > Torres right now.