Why England isn't good in sports like: ?

Barca and r Madrid have basketball teams, any other football clubs with BB?

I know Besiktas, Fenebache, Galatasaray, Olimpiacos, Panathinikos and Maccabi Tel Aviv have pretty big basketball teams as well as Football Teams. (They're all sports clubs, probably why)

I know Besiktas, Fenebache, Galatasaray, Olimpiacos, Panathinikos and Maccabi Tel Aviv have pretty big basketball teams as well as Football Teams. (They're all sports clubs, probably why)
Don't forget CSKA Moscow

Most Frequently Cited Ranked Lists
1) Football: 3.3-3.5 billion fans (Europe, Africa, Asia, Americas, etc.)
2) Cricket: 2-3 billion fans (India, UK, Pakistan, Asia, Australia, etc.)
3) Field hockey: 2-2.2 billion fans (Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia)
4) Tennis: Around 1 billion fans (Europe, Americas, Asia)
5) Volleyball: Around 900 million fans (Asia, Europe, Americas, Australia)
6) Table tennis: Around 900 million fans (Asia, Europe, Africa, Americas)
7) Baseball: Around 500 million fans (US, Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic)
8) Golf: Around 400 million fans (US, Canada, Europe)
9) Gridiron (American football): 390-410 million fans (US mainly)
10) Basketball: Not more than 400 million fans (US, Canada mainly)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_most_popular_sport_in_the_world

I'm not talking about numbers of "fans," I'm talking about how many different countries it's popular in as well as how many people are willing to spend money to watch a professional team. How many professional cricket leagues are there in the world? How about field hockey? Volleyball? Table tennis?

There are popular professional basketball leagues on every continent, and I bet it is more widely played worldwide than rugby...remember that basketball is getting very popular in Asia and Africa, and already is popular in S. America and Europe.

As for rugby, it's only popular in a few of the former British colonies plus Argentina and Uruguay to a certain extent. Sure it's huge in Australia, New Zealand, and S. Africa, but that's about it. Does England even have a professional rugby league?

Everton FC have a basketball team.

And all England's best hockey players tend to play in Holland where they have a professional league.

Our ice hockey league gets all the cast offs who don't make it in the US.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Does England even have a professional rugby league?

Are you a douche?

We have probably the most famous Pro Rugby Leagues in the world. One for Union and one for Rugby League and the Rugby League League contains British and French teams.

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/

http://www.superleague.co.uk/

my school always makes us play BB and its so ****
when i watch it on espn with USA football theres a breaK EVERY MINUTE

Everton FC have a basketball team.

And all England's best hockey players tend to play in Holland where they have a professional league.

Our ice hockey league gets all the cast offs who don't make it in the US.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Are you a douche?

We have probably the most famous Pro Rugby Leagues in the world. One for Union and one for Rugby League and the Rugby League League contains British and French teams.

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/

http://www.superleague.co.uk/

Calm down dude, I'm not from Europe so it's not like I'd know. I thought I remembered hearing someone say they were trying to get one started over there (that the current league was an amateur league or something like that). Anywys, it's a popular global sport, but no more than baseball or basketball IMO.

Barca and r Madrid have basketball teams, any other football clubs with BB?

Partizan Belgrade.... Dusko Vujosevic FTW :D ( partizan is second best sports association in the world, ,right behind real madrid ^^ )

Handall - you have to be Icelandic or Scandinavian to play
Basketball - British people sweat too much to play this fine game
Water polo - no comment
Table Tennis - YOU HAVE TO BE ASIAN!

Handball - No: Example, Poland, Croatia ( Ivano Balic, best handball player ever!), Serbia, France for god sake mate.
Table Tennis : No. Timo Bolt is number one in table tennis world, and he is german.

Why England isnt good at this sports ? Well, low interest for this types of sports IMO.

They aren't really main sports. The 10 most popular WORLD sports are:

1) Football - Easily top 10 in world
2) Cricket - 3rd in world rankings but playing much better
3) Tennis - Not very good other than Murray who is Scottish anyway
4) Table Tennis - A few good players, 12th in the world
5) Golf - 2nd best country in the world, with world #1
6) Volleyball - Not sure
7) Baseball - Don't play it
8) American Football - Don't play it
9) Basketball - 9th in the world
10) Badmington - Had a few Olympic & Commonwealth medals in recent years

I think, considering the relatively small population, that this is a good record. Britain also came 4th in the 2008 Olympics, only to be beaten by countries MUCH bigger than us.

They aren't really main sports. The 10 most popular WORLD sports are:

1) Football - Easily top 10 in world
2) Cricket - 3rd in world rankings but playing much better
3) Tennis - Not very good other than Murray who is Scottish anyway
4) Table Tennis - A few good players, 12th in the world
5) Golf - 2nd best country in the world, with world #1
6) Volleyball - Not sure
7) Baseball - Don't play it
8) American Football - Don't play it
9) Basketball - 9th in the world
10) Badmington - Had a few Olympic & Commonwealth medals in recent years

I think, considering the relatively small population, that this is a good record. Britain also came 4th in the 2008 Olympics, only to be beaten by countries MUCH bigger than us.

Boxing is pretty popular in the UK as well, there are lots of amateur boxing clubs.

Professional cricket leagues?
The english county cricket system is professional...
And the IPL wow, thats 1 of the richest sports leagues in the world, the money just chucked into it would rival any football league... bar maybe the EPL and la liga

This.

Different Cultures = Different Tastes

It's the same with everything else. Films, music, activities, etc.

I don't think it's taste it's more history...nothing is nothing about American culture that inherently makes it dislike soccer, it's just that the sport never came here due to historical reasons (mainly Harvard and the ivies deciding to play rugby and what came to be known as gridiron football because world football had become very popular in the lower classes in Britain, making them not want to associate with a 'lower class sport'). Now that it is available, it'll take awhile for Americans to get used to watching it (we're accustomed to watching sports that are completely different), and some won't because it's "foreign," but it has grown at an incredible speed here.

The World Cup happened when I was 7 and I didn't know it was going on. Until the mid 2000's, no one in the US had heard of any football players, except for maybe Beckham. But in 2006 (maybe it was because we had so much success in 2002) we had our first world cup where people sort of cared (Bruce Arena got criticized a lot in the media after the Czech Republic killed us), and after Beckham came to the MLS the sport was put in the spotlight of the mainstream media. In 2010, a lot of people watched the England game, and after we put up a good fight, a lot more tuned in for the next two games. When we qualified, there were people celebrating in the streets. It was unbelievable. Now, I would say most Americans can even name a player on our national team (Landon Donovan), and a good deal might know of a couple others.

Way off topic, but point is, some sports are inherently awesome (football), and if you expose it to people, they will eventually love it. On the other hand, there are some crappy sports that people will stop watching once they discover other sports. Baseball used to be our national past-time but it is seriously waning in popularity. Gridiron surpassed it in the 80's or 90's and now is much, much more popular. Hopefully in my lifetime soccer will overtake it too.

Funny how the cultural, climate and historical differences also reflects in the sports world. Im portuguese so the main sport here is football, but we do have a amazing national squads of rollerhockey, futsal, or beach-football. But i never heard nothing about britsh teams in any of those sports. (You can say the same about cricket for Portugal, i know)

Rugby and basketball are growing as many other sports, which i think is important for a country.

Last edited: