Why is my Romelu Lukaku so bad?

somecut8

Reaction score
I am nearing the end of my 3rd season and my Romelu Lukaku is not progressing at all. I don't know what's wrong with him. My other young striker, Yaya Sanogo is progressing magnificently. I signed Lukaku the first season I played.

I have top training facilities, top coaches, and I use Dunc's training schedule. So what's wrong? I don't use Lukaku that much because he gets tired easily and for some reason, he doesn't do well when I play him and gets poor match ratings. However, against easy opponents I still try to put him in.

How do I help him progress? He's 19 now, and his potential ability has dropped to 2.5 stars. How do I turn him around? Dider Drogba has been tutoring him for about 3 months and he still isn't improving. Why?

How did you guys turn Lukaku into a superstar?

Maybe he didn't live up to his full potential, I say loan him out and see how things go or find another partner for Sanogo and sell him.

I signed him straight away on my Arsenal save, into my 3rd season now. I play 4231 system and have Hulk, Kadlec and Lukaklu as my 3 strikers. Lukaklu isnt as dominating on my save as he is on other saves. I have great facilities, coaches and players around him. His stats are high apart from his Stamina which is very low (7) even though I have focussed on it in training. I will persist with him as he is still very young. For first 2 seasons he mainly played he reserves or cup games and done ok. On My save Barcelona are always after him, but I refuse to sell, I may send him out on Loan to a Championship team and hope he kicks on from there

better use him as lone striker. i bought him and he progress magnificiently.

lukaku is rather poor this year due to his reduced stamina and agility, sanogo is the better choice

I bought him in my man city and his attribute gone up quite alot. His composure becamse 19 and finishing become 16 . He scored some 1v1 too . But babacar had improved much more than him in my man city .

I've always heard that he is awesome but for some strange reason I have never signed him.
I heard he plays really well as a Complete forward.

Maybe you've accidentally put him in a wrong training schedule? Happened to me before with some custom schedules. Accidentally put one of my regen strikers on a defensive midfielders schedule :p

Just keep trying to play him for atleast maybe the last 20minutes of a game you've won already (like 3-0 up).

If you don't want to do that, loan him out to a club with decent training facilities and a reputable league standard as well..

he is a -9 on the game, which means his PA could be as low as 150....which isn't that great, maybe you have just got unlucky and he isn't that great on your game

Because you're a **** manager then.

Is he actually yours, Do you own him, Are you reffereing to slavery because he is BLACK !! Because that is what the title insinuates.

Joking pal ;) Erm, i dunno really on my Celtic save he was the Bollocks.

Yeah, you're probably playing him in the wrong role, and maybe, as he's not fixed potential, not lived up to his expectations

he is a -9 on the game, which means his PA could be as low as 150....which isn't that great, maybe you have just got unlucky and he isn't that great on your game

This is the simple answer. -9 means his PA is anywhere from 150 to 180, which is a massive range, so sometimes he'll be superb and sometimes just average. Variable PA players are one of the good random elements in the game, but it always makes me laugh when people insist that certain players will be wonderkids for sure, when in reality a whole raft of players are variable PA, so you won't know for sure until some way into your game.

In my games I tend to actively look to buy players with -9 PA, as they are usually available at a reasonable price and I find it worth the gamble. If you want to do the same, without cheating, I suggest you load up the Data Editor that comes with the game and do a filtered search for all players with a PA of at least -9 and at most -10 and you'll get a decent list of young potential talent in all positions at reasonable prices.

As somecut8 found out with his Lukaku, they won't always turn out great. Luck of the draw!

I am nearing the end of my 3rd season and my Romelu Lukaku is not progressing at all. I don't know what's wrong with him. My other young striker, Yaya Sanogo is progressing magnificently. I signed Lukaku the first season I played.

I have top training facilities, top coaches, and I use Dunc's training schedule. So what's wrong? I don't use Lukaku that much because he gets tired easily and for some reason, he doesn't do well when I play him and gets poor match ratings. However, against easy opponents I still try to put him in.

How do I help him progress? He's 19 now, and his potential ability has dropped to 2.5 stars. How do I turn him around? Dider Drogba has been tutoring him for about 3 months and he still isn't improving. Why?

How did you guys turn Lukaku into a superstar?

Any screenshots mate, so I can compare with my Lukaku? His Finishing on mines seems to have stopped on 16 & only some of his attributes went up in the 2 seasons I've had him. Maybe it's just because FM have downgraded him a lot from FM2010...Babacar seems to be a rich-man's Lukaku, as he's become an absolute beast for me (19 Finishing, almost 4.5 star player)

Does a PA of -9 mean before the game is started the computer randomly generates between 150 and 180 then that becomes his PA or that depending on training, tutoring and first team experience his PA could be 150-180? I thought it was the latter.

He has been amazing for me! he currently has 13assists and 10goals so far this season, He didnt perform that well at the start but they i changed his position to complete forward and he started to play great. One of my best players.

Don't you think they reduced his starting attributes a bit too much this year though? Some of those physical stats don't compute with a kid that has already had as much success IRL as Lukaku has. I don't doubt they put a lot of thought and discussion into it.....but he is just about the best young player in the world and they took chunks out of his ability between FM10 and FM11.

Try changing his role, and look at his attributes and work on those,i guess though if his pa is variable then it depends, if he is only 19 then give him a little more time, loan him out to be honest,

give him till 20-21 and see maybe then he will be good.

I am playing man utd and i had rafael who just played really **** until he was 22 then all of a sudden he was amazing average rating of 7.70 for two seasons brazil regular and i couldn't understand it,

Maybe it just takes a little longer for some to adjust, and btw what is his adaptability on your save?

Does a PA of -9 mean before the game is started the computer randomly generates between 150 and 180 then that becomes his PA or that depending on training, tutoring and first team experience his PA could be 150-180? I thought it was the latter.
No, it is the former. When you start your game any player with a negative PA is give a random PA between the corresponding two sets of values for their negative PA. That is:
  • -10 = 170-200
  • -9 = 150-180
  • -8 = 130-160
  • -7 = 110-140
  • -6 = 90-120
  • -5 = 70-100
  • -4 = 50-80
  • -3 = 30-60
  • -2 = 10-40
  • -1 = 0-30
So once the game has started, PAs are static values.