Why so much Hatred in the modern game.

• Thread starter Thread starter sunilvk7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 3K

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
Why there is so much hatred in the game now in the modern era. I watched few old interviews of few great managers, they was so much mutual respect among themselves it was so hard to think the game has changed so much.

Even in some other forum, one Liverpool supporter told, His dad always supported English clubs on European nights, and even Manchester United when they were that English club. I have talked to few Mancs who had the same stories like Mancs supporting Liverpool on Europen nights.

And also, from what i have seen/heard Senior Mancs/Liverpool dont hate as much as the younger ones.

But in the modern era game is filled with so much hatred, jealousy, it is unreal.
What exactly has changed so that people all of a sudden changed from "Our English club' to
"**** i don't want any English club to do well apart from ours".

Yeah Banter is much needed in the game, but in modern era in the name of Banter there is so much **** for ex, mocking dead people.

I wanted to start this thread long back, but somehow couldn't.

This is one of the best manager of all time Shankly paying tribute to Matt Busby.

In the modern era,there is no way Liverpool manager would have had so much nice words about Manchester United manager
and Vice versa.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmqbKBl22CA&feature=related"]YouTube - Bill Shankly speaks about Sir Matt Busby[/ame]

I've wondered this as well. Outside our domestic tournaments I've always wanted all argie teams to do well. ****, even argie players. When I was watching some random game in a far away country and some argie guy was playing I just supported his team and hoped he did well. I remember a game some years ago where Boca Juniors lost 6-0 at home, and the fifth goal was scored by Márcico, a Boca legend that was playing for Gimnasia at the time, and all the ******* stadium rose up and applauded. Today they would probably insult him for the rest of the match, regardless of what he did for them in almost a lifetime. I don't mind rivalries, what would football be without derbies and even some animosity, but there's a big,big difference between that and hatred. People getting beaten or even killed over football, just because they support a rival team, that's just plain retarded.

Bravo, and well said. I bear no ill will towards Small Heath Alliance, even though they're our big rivals. Indeed, I hope they stay up and I hope they win the League Cup. Sure, I won't support them, but there's enough about them to be respected.

Its just passion for their own teams mate, at the end of the day football is one big family :wub:

It's just the way football has devoloped. I would say that the majority of fans all enjoy the banter with each other except when a minority ruins it with chants such as the ones you mentioned. Unless it's teams like city, liverpool, arsenal, tottenham and chelsea then I hope that an english team does do well in europe and even in the league when they aren't playing man utd. But with all the passion in the game now, you can't expect man utd fans to want liverpool to win and vice versa.

I think that over time people and clubs can mature and develop friendly rivalries. My case in point would be Sir Alex and Wenger. There was a time where they would be at each others throats and couldn't stop moaning about each other, but they seem to have come to terms with each other now and have a mutual respect for each other.

Another point is a personal one, I used to absolutely hate Nottm Forest and their fans, but when we (Notts) were in financial trouble a few years ago a lot of Forest fans came out in support for us and donated money to save our club and if I remember a few Forest players donated as well (David Johnson was one I believe), this made me realise that although rivalries are one of the best parts of football and an integral part of the game we should all respect each other and each others' clubs. It is always sad to see any team in severe troubles, even if they are fierce rivals.

Alot of football hatred comes from jelousy and anxiety i believe. People are jelous of what other teams have and counter that with whatever there side have that the other dosen't. Also people feel connected to the team the support the feel as if they are one and when someone says somthing against your side you bite back and visa versa. I like the hatred in football it makes the atmosphere so much better.

Well I don't mind if any Scottish teams do well - I prefer it - except the mhanky mob lol.

But In terms of violence it's not the same so maybe it's an alternative way trying to annoy the opposition when Celtic made it to Seville they threw beach-ball's on the pitch at Ibrox.We threw potatoes on park head - Potato famine in Ireland.

or perhaps just jealousy.

But you don't want to get rid of the hatred. I don't want to go to an Old Firm and sit beside a Celtic fan and then cheer with them etc.

i do have friends that are Celtic fans most of them in fact but for those 90 minutes were divided

in terms of supporting English teams in Europe this was selfishly motivated, the better english teams did the more places they'd get- also reflected well on the league

Ofcourse most englishfans supported say United in europe in the 90s, they were often England's only team to get anywhere whereas now;
Many English clubs have a good chance in europe and woudl rather win it themselves than their rivals
and
these teams don't really represent england anymore, arguably not even their local area

Did some Liverpool fans not cheer Torres yesterday?

And when Henrik Larsson scored for Barcelona against Celtic put them out of europe he didn't celebrate that was about 5 years ago and to this day they respect him because of what he done for them when he was at Celtic think they were probably cheering

There has always been hatred in football, and always will be. As far back as 100 years ago, hatred existed. Now I'm sorry, but personally, I hate Celtic, everything they stand for, and everything they do. I would happily see them wiped from the face of the earth. However, I would never dislike someone purely for being a Celtic fan, nor would I speak ill of a dead person for being a Celtic fan.

Imho, hatred adds to the game, obviously some nutters who just take it too far rip the **** a little, but what would you rather watch, a game where 50,000 screaming fans are desperately willing their team on to win, or a game where people like Winston, Jules, and Charles are watching, applauding every goal, regardless of the team, politely ? I know what I'd rather have.

i there is only one team i really hat and thaty is man city, this because of the menatlity of the club which is buy buy buy where as clubs such ourselves, liverpool and arsenal have slowly developed into a top team over the years. Man city think that they can suddenly become one of the best teams in the world by wasting all this money. I also do like the attitudes of some of their players such as balotelli or tevez who ask for huge amounts of money and then think that they are the best players in the world because they get it.

Besides that i only dislike certain players not teams eg drogba, torres and fabregas because they are only certain players and notthe whole team.

I do think football's become a bit more malicious, especially among supporters. With the 'fall' of hooliganism you'd think hatred would have abated somewhat, but with the stakes ever higher the climate is always quite intense.

Personally I suck at hating other clubs. Being one of those 'plastic southerners' who supports United, I've never been invested in the whole Liverpool dislike (not to mention I wasn't even alive when they were the best team in England). In fact, I was cheering them on back in the '05 Champions League final as I was ****** delighted to see an english team make it that far since United in '99. I do indulge in a bit of banter with the blue few in Bristol, but I'd be gutted to see them relegated.

If football here in Portugal ever becomes fair again, I will change my attitude towards Porto, otherwise, they are still corrupt bastards who win titles with the help of referees offering them whores, whom they call "fruit", offering money and or/trips to brazil.

In addition, football needs to be cleansed, inside out.

I dislike Liverpool because they're our biggest rivals, but Liverpool are one of the greatest English clubs ever. I dislike the scousers but I have a lot of respect for them.

I'm just a massive fan of football and even though I have teams that I ally myself to, I love the game immensely. When you get two fierce rivals facing each other, and the atmosphere is monumental, both sets of fans screaming their hearts out - can't be beaten.

There's a fine line between passion for your club and hatred for your rival.

Back