Easy Start For Wigan

WIgan have enjoyed an easy start to the defence of their title as they've won both games in comfortable fashion. Wigan haven't made too many changes to the first team in terms of transfers but their fans are confident of another successful season. They're also being backed by pundits and bookies alike as a lot of Wigan's players are hitting their peak and will be at the top of their game this season. However, the teams around them will not want Wigan to win another title so they'll be stepping up their game in a bid to tear the title away from the DW Stadium. Wigan have also been handed a relatively easy Champions League group compared to groups they've had in the past and they're favourites to top it. If they can then it will definitely help their chances in the knockout rounds as it did last year.

View attachment 380538
Champions League Group H
Wigan Athletic
Olympique Lyonnais
Zenit St Petersbuerg
Red Bull Salzburg

Capital One Cup 3rd Round
Huddersfield vs. Wigan Athletic

August

Premier League
24/8/19

Wigan 2 vs. 1 Middlesbrough
OG(47) Iturbe(90+2)

A bit more nervy than I would have liked but we got the three points which is what matters.

31/8/19
Newcastle 0 vs. 2 Wigan
Ademilson(9) Adryan(55)

A bit more comfortable this time.

View attachment 380543

First time we've been a first seed in the Champions League!
View attachment 380544

Would really love some feedback on the story so I know whether to carry on with it or not

Wigan Hammer Lyon In Champions League

Wigan have started to enjoy more success and better results in the Champions League and that has continued this season with a fantastic 5-1 win over Lyon. Wigan have been seeded first for the first time in the Champions League or any European competition and will be looking to top the group as they did last season when they topped a group that contained Real Madrid. Things have been going well for Wigan in the league as they've only dropped two points so far which was a draw away to Tottenham. The win against Man United was a highlight for Wigan as they managed to replicate the 3-0 victory from last season. However they were humiliated by Huddersfiled Town in the Capital One Cup which puts an end to their dream of reclaiming the cup but does allow them to focus on the more important trophies.

View attachment 475159

September

Premier League
15/9/19

Tottenham 0 vs. 0 Wigan

Not a terrible result away from home

Champions League Group H
18/9/19

Wigan 5 vs. 1 Lyon
Doumbia(7, 13) Banegas(35) Wellington Nem(41) Adryan(50)

A great win in the Champions League against a tough team

Premier League
21/9/19

Wigan 3 vs. 0 Man United
Ademilson(16, 82) Iturbe(42)

Another great win, we seem to do well against United at home nowadays

Capital One Cup 3rd Round
25/9/19

Huddersfield 1 vs. 0 Wigan

I don't even want to talk about this result...

Premier League
28/9/19

Wigan 4 vs. 1 Wolves
Adryan(41) Barlkey(48) Iturbe(69, 85)

View attachment 475158

Wigan In Demolition Mode

Teams have been fearing the day they play Wigan so far this season, and even more after this month. They've been demolishing teams in the league and Champions League alike and it seems like they'll be tough to beat this season. So far they've only dropped two points in the league and they don't look like they'll drop many more if they keep playing like this. They can make it three Premier League titles in a row which has only been achieved by Man United. What Wigan fans are really craving is European silverware and that is the big aim for the club in the next couple of seasons. The teams around them, however, will not allow them to just waltz to a third title so you can expect some competition in the next few months.

View attachment 475129

October

Champions League Group H
1/10/19

Zenit 0 vs. 3 Wigan
Adilson(pen 4) Ademilson(8, 19)

Premier League
6/10/19

Wigan 7 vs. 0 Stoke
Doumbia(1, 48, 69) Batth(6') Adryan(21) Barkley(65)

19/10/19
Wigan 4 vs. 0 Swansea
Batth(12, 36) Doumbia(32) El Shaarawy(43)

Champions League Group H
22/10/19

Red Bull Salzburg 0 vs. 3 Wigan
Barkley(49) Doumbia(56) Iturbe(76)

Premier League
26/10/19

Liverpool 1 vs. 2 Wigan
Matuidi(27) Ademilson(31)

30/10/19
Norwich 0 vs. 2 Wigan
Adryan(21) Ademilson(53)

View attachment 475112View attachment 475111

Fantastic read as always. Keep it going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, don't think that I've given up this story but my motherboard failed on my laptop so I bought a new one but I'm having trouble getting into steam to be able to play the game so I won't be able to update the story until I manage to get back into steam.

Wigan's unbeaten run continues

The good form Wigan have shown of late shows no sign of relenting as they go another month unbeaten. They seem to be banging in the goals this month scoring three or more in 4 games this month. Wigan have also qualified for the Champions League knock-out stage yet again as they beat Red Bull Salzburg to qualify and beat Lyon to top the group. Wigan will be hoping that they will get an easier game as a result of their performance in the group stage. Topping their group with a game to go means they can give their youngsters European experience while resting their important players for the league. Wigan fans will be hoping for another impressive Champions League performance to match last season but they'll have to wait until the new year to see if they can.

View attachment 469903

November

Premier League
3/11/19

Leicester 2 vs. 4 Wigan
Doumbia(30, 32, 78 pen) Caulker(45+1)

Easy win but not liking the two goals conceded.

Champions League Group H
6/11/19

Wigan 6 vs. 0 Red Bull Salzburg
OG(7) Kelly(15) Barkley(23) Wellington Nem(41, 90+1) Doumbia(70)

Another easy win, never in doubt and that's qualification in the bag.

Premier League
9/11/13

Wigan 5 vs. 1 West Ham
Barkley(6, 20, 31 pen) Matuidi(48) Lacazette(66)

A very good win against West Ham.

23/11/13
Leeds 1 vs. 1 Wigan
Ademilson(64)

Disappointed at this result, we should be winning this.

Champions League Group H
26/11/19

Lyon 1 vs. 3 Wigan
Iturbe(12) Batth(75) Doumbia(76)

A good win away to Lyon which means we top the group.

View attachment 469899View attachment 469898

I'm ashamed to admit that I failed to secure wigans survival in the prem.. I had 15-20 games to turn it around. We dropped too many stupid points. Annoying thing is we fought hard losing to both arsenal and spurs by the odd goal. We drew 2-2 with both Liverpool and man utd. We even beat Chelsea convincingly 3-1 at home only to screw it up the last 7 games not getting enough points.

5 points is all that could have guaranteed another year, 5 points and I could have strengthened to aim higher but no I now have to get out of a dire financial mess with being over budget with wages. We are only 16 million up because of parachute payments.

So far kept the core of the squad, aiming to sell a couple more and strengthen some key areas that were short last time around. LB, GK,LM/LW .
I still have some dead wood but only just managing to keep hold of McCarthur,McCarthy, Ward-Prowse, Watson.

Trying to keep the structure as they have played together some time..lets see..

I'm ashamed to admit that I failed to secure wigans survival in the prem.. I had 15-20 games to turn it around. We dropped too many stupid points. Annoying thing is we fought hard losing to both arsenal and spurs by the odd goal. We drew 2-2 with both Liverpool and man utd. We even beat Chelsea convincingly 3-1 at home only to screw it up the last 7 games not getting enough points.

5 points is all that could have guaranteed another year, 5 points and I could have strengthened to aim higher but no I now have to get out of a dire financial mess with being over budget with wages. We are only 16 million up because of parachute payments.

So far kept the core of the squad, aiming to sell a couple more and strengthen some key areas that were short last time around. LB, GK,LM/LW .
I still have some dead wood but only just managing to keep hold of McCarthur,McCarthy, Ward-Prowse, Watson.

Trying to keep the structure as they have played together some time..lets see..

It's a bit of a lottery as to what happens in the first season and I got pretty lucky as I seemed to find a tactic that worked pretty early on and manage to get some good transfers in. I'm sure you'll bounce right back into the Prem as you did well to hang on to those players! Let us know how you get on with it :)

Topsy-Turvy Month Sees Wigan End Year Top

Wigan fans have been asking questions about what games they should be able to win as some of the results have been quite confusing. For example the 1-1 draw away to Bolton was followed by smashing Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge. It seems like Wigan are getting to the stage where they're trying their hardest for the tough games which they go onto win but assume that the easier games are already won and end up dropping points. This is not a good sign for a team wanting to become champions for a third time as the league is won on consistency rather than the games against the big teams. The fans will be hoping that the team can up their concentration and go on a long unbeaten streak on the way to the title.

View attachment 469264
F.A Cup 3rd Round
Wigan Athletic vs. Shrewsbury

December

Premier League
1/12/19

Arsenal 0 vs. 1 Wigan
Doumbia(77)

A great win against our closest title rivals.

7/12/19
Wigan 2 vs. 1 West Brom
Doumbia(11, 31)

Champions League Group H
11/12/19

Wigan 2 vs. 0 Zenit
Barkley(88) Kelly(90+3)

A nice win but we left it a little late to get the goals.

Premier League
14/12/19
Bolton 1 vs. 1 Wigan
Adryan(66)

We should be winning this game, especially as it's a game against our main rivals.

21/12/19
Chelsea 0 vs. 3 Wigan
Adryan(5) Ademilson(69, 80)

A great win to bounce back with.

26/12/19
Wigan 4 vs. 0 Everton
dos Santos(14) Ademilson(16) Roberto(54) El Shaarawy(pen 73)

A really good win with another clean sheet.

28/12/19
Wigan 2 vs. 0 QPR
Doumbia(21) El Shaarawy(pen 70)

31/12/19
Wigan 0 vs. 1 Norwich

I suppose it had to happen eventually but we should be winning these games.

View attachment 469263View attachment 469262

Wigan Stay Top While Still Dropping Points

Wigan are still having trouble with their consistency this month, winning some games at a canter before struggling against weaker teams. However, Arsenal have been dropping points as well so it means Wigan have stayed top through-out all this and if they can find some consistent form they are definitely favourites for the title. They will need to start balancing their priorities again next month as the Champions League returns and Wigan will be looking to match their achievement last season. The Wigan manager said at the start of the season that he expects his team to reach the semi-finals of the Champions League. They should make their way through the first knock-out round but they'll need to hope for a kind draw to get them any further.

View attachment 469261
F.A Cup 4th Round
Colchester United vs. Wigan Athletic

F.A Cup 5th Round
Manchester United vs. Wigan Athletic

Champions League 1st Knockout Round
FC Schalke 04 vs. Wigan Athletic

January

F.A Cup 3rd Round
4/1/20

Wigan 5 vs. 0 Shrewsbury
El Shaarawy(14) Doumbia(37, 45) Caulker(41, 51)

Simple win, as expected.

Premier League
8/1/20

Wigan 3 vs. 0 Man City
El Shaarawy(14) Iturbe(34) Doumbia(68)

A great win against a tough team, and that's four in four games for El Shaarawy.

12/1/20
Wigan 1 vs. 1 Newcastle
Ademilson(65)

Another game where we didn't seem to have the concentration to win.

18/1/20
Middlesbrough 0 vs. 2 Wigan
Ademilson(78, 90+7)

A game we should be winning but we left it late to win it.

F.A Cup 4th Round
25/1/20

Colchester 0 vs. 2 Wigan
Adilson(14) Lacazette(64)

Another expected win.

Premier League
29/1/20

Man United 1 vs. 0 Wigan

Disappointed not to have won but they're a tough team.

View attachment 469260

Wigan Out of F.A Cup

An unbeaten month in the league was tarnished by Wigan being knocked out of the F.A Cup away to Man United. It was always going to be a tough game and after the 1-0 loss away to United in the league, it seemed inevitable that Wigan would succumb to defeat. Neither side played exceptionally well but in the end a defensive mistake allowed United to take the lead and they managed to hold on for the win. On the brighter side for Wigan fans, their team have put one foot in the Champions League quarter finals after beating Schakle 2-1 in Germany. Wigan will be expecting to win at the DW and will have to wait to see who they'll face in the quarter finals, unless they take their eye off the ball.

View attachment 469250
F.A Cup 5th Round
Manchester United vs. Wigan Athletic

February

Premier League
1/2/20

Wolves 0 vs. 3 Wigan
Adryan(2, 21) Ademilson(11)

A nice easy win getting the goals early on.

9/2/20
Stoke 0 vs. 4 Wigan
Adryan(16) Ademilson(32) Matuidi(63) Savic(82)

Another good win and a clean sheet.

12/2/20
Wigan 4 vs. 2 Tottenham
Barkley(23) Naughton(50) Wellington Nem(71) Doumbia(90)

A fantastic win against one of the tougher teams.

F.A Cup 5th Round
15/2/20

Man United 1 vs. 0 Wigan

Not happy to lose but I'd rather focus on the league and Champions League

Champions League 1st Knock-out Round 1st Leg
19/2/20

Schalke 1 vs. 2 Wigan
OG(9) Iturbe(48)

A good win with two away goals which should see us through.

Premier League
29/2/20

Wigan 4 vs. 1 Liverpool
El Shaarawy(15) Adilson(21) Ademilson(61) Banegas(75)

A really good win against a Liverpool side who's doing well this year.

View attachment 469249

Wigan Seal Progress to Champions League Quarter Final

For the third consecutive year, Wigan Athletic have progressed to the quarter finals of the Champions League. However they've been given a tough draw as with last season as they'll play Bayern Munich. After facing Barcelona last season, Wigan fans were probably hoping for an easier draw this time around but if they can beat Barcelona then there's no reason they can't beat Bayern Munich. Wigan have history with Bayern in this competition as they faced each other in the group stage a few seasons ago. That season Wigan won the game at the DW and FC Bayern won the game in Munich, both games finishing 2-1. That was a couple of season ago now and Wigan are a much better team and will be hoping that the improvement in their players will show in the two games.

View attachment 467999
Champions League Quarter Final
FC Bayern Munich vs. Wigan Athletic

March

Premier League
7/3/20

Swansea 0 vs. 2 Wigan
Caulker(4) Adilson(81 pen)

Routine win away from home

Champions League 1st Knockout Round 2nd Leg
10/3/20

Wigan 4 vs. 0 Schalke
OG(14) Roberto(29) Doumbia(43) Adryan(57)
(Wigan win 6-1 on aggregate)

A great win to see us through and the own goal was by the same player who scored an own goal in the last game.

Premier League
14/3/20

West Ham 2 vs. 1 Wigan
El Shaarawy(66)

Disappointed with this game as we shouldn't be losing this.

21/3/20
Wigan 4 vs. 0 Leicester
dos Santos(15) Caulker(21) Doumbia(31) Barkley(74)

A good win with plenty of goals from four different players.

28/3/20
Wigan 4 vs. 0 Leeds
Kelly(14) Doumbia(21) El Shaarawy(46) Caulker(68)

Another good 4-0 win and it's nice that we're don't rely on one player to score all our goals

View attachment 467997

Was surprised at this result!
View attachment 467996

Last edited:
Youth Intake

It's that time of year again so I thought I'd update you with the best of this year's intake. It does seem to be getting better this year compared to the start of the save but we've yet to hit a four or five star player. Hopefully if I keep trying to upgrade the youth coaching, training etc. we might get one soon enough!

Andrew Davin
View attachment 467993

A left back with good physical stats who can hopefully act as cover for a couple of season if I train him so he becomes a LB/CB.

Alfio Ancione
View attachment 467991

An Italian right back who may end up being sold when he reaches his potential if he can't help with Champions League rules about home-grown players but if he can then he could be with Davin as a cover player.

Roger Dickens
View attachment 467990

A utility player in the way that he could play AMR or ST for me if he becomes good enough but his stats aren't great at the moment. He does have good potential though so hopefully he'll come good.

Kyle Robertson
View attachment 467989

As a RM he probably won't feature in my team unless he can be trained to a decent AMR so I think this one will be trained up and sold for as much as possible.​