Keep it up, use the final game loss to spur you on for next season!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome, awesome. I love when people use Wigan :p. I'm doing a wigan save as well (in third season). Got any advice to build squad depth?

Unlucky mate - next year!!!!!!

Keep it up, use the final game loss to spur you on for next season!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers guys and yeah hopefully I'll get my revenge next season :p

Awesome, awesome. I love when people use Wigan :p. I'm doing a wigan save as well (in third season). Got any advice to build squad depth?

Thanks mate, I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Yeah I've been following it, you're doing well so far :) and I would say try and buy young as you may be able to use them straight away or as back up and they'll develop the more you play them. Also I would try and get as many scouts as possible with really high JA and JP ratings, then you can find the best young stars and snap them up cheap :p

Thanks mate, I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Yeah I've been following it, you're doing well so far :) and I would say try and buy young as you may be able to use them straight away or as back up and they'll develop the more you play them. Also I would try and get as many scouts as possible with really high JA and JP ratings, then you can find the best young stars and snap them up cheap :p

I've been trying to get myself youngsters. Any suggestions on scouts? I have increased my knowledge of the world to broad (was really bad when I first started), but I'm not sure how to get it higher. Should I get A scout per country/continent (spain, africa, england, etc) that I want to scour?

I've been trying to get myself youngsters. Any suggestions on scouts? I have increased my knowledge of the world to broad (was really bad when I first started), but I'm not sure how to get it higher. Should I get A scout per country/continent (spain, africa, england, etc) that I want to scour?

The three best scouts I have at the minute are Paul Mitchell (JA-20 JP-20) David Friio(JA-20 JP-20) and Omar Daley(JA-20 JP-19). I'm not entirely sure how to increase it either but I think getting as many scouts in as many places as possible will help.

Pre Season

View attachment 331312

Friendly

17/7/17
Wigan 4 vs. 1 Anderlecht
Iturbe(2) El Shaarawy(6') Ademilson(11, 58)

22/7/17
Wigan 2 vs. 1 Bayern
Lacazette(50) Adryan(79)

26/7/17
St Pauli 0 vs. 7 Wigan
Ademilson(2, 33, 63, 71) Sulejmani(13) Savic(74) Batth(89)

29/7/17

Brentford 1 vs. 3 Wigan
Roberto(8) Adriano(36) Barkley(40)

1/8/17
Wigan 2 vs. 0 Club Brugge
Doumbia(52) Lacazette(69)

5/8/17

Wigan 2 vs. 1 Athletico Madrid
Naughton(50) Caulker(57)

9/8/17
Gimnastic 0 vs. 4 Wigan
Doumbia(20, 47) Caulker(42) Adryan(90+1)

Community Shield
13/8/17

Man United 0 vs. 1 Wigan
Batth(42)

Our second consecutive Community Shield and goes some way to repairing the damage from last season.

Summary

A pretty good pre-season all in all, winning all our games including games against Bayern Munich and Athletico Madrid as well as the Community Shield against United. I decided to change the corner routine as I felt we were missing too many chances from corners last season so hopefully we'll be able to score a few more. In fact the goal against United was from a corner so hopefully it'll work for us this season.

Transfers

I brought in a backup goalkeeper for Ruffier as Lindegaard left on a free and I want my prospect to get game time so I loaned him out. I just about managed to get everyone loaned out, apart from a couple of pepole who I had to send to a feeder club to get games and one who wouldn't go so he'll be in the reserves and cup games. I picked up another couple of prospects for a few seasons time. Hopefully the initial ones I brought in will be ready for next season as they're around 2 1/2 stars already so one more season should get them up to a good standard. One area I though we were lacking in depth was our wingers so I picked up a couple which was the bulk of our transfer outlay. El Shaarawy I got from Tottenham and I picked up Iturbe as well but he got injured in pre-season for around 4 months which is typical.

View attachment 331313View attachment 331314

My Aims For This Season:

Reach the Capital One Cup Final
Reach Quarter Finals at least of F.A Cup
Reach First Knockout Round of Champions League
Challenge for the league title
Keep at least 30 clean sheets

Board Aims For This Season:

Reach First Knockout Round of Champions League
Semi Finals of the F.A Cup
Qualify for Champions League through league position

Goals Galore for Wigan

Wigan look to put the disappointment of losing the league on goal difference to Man United last season with a good start to the season and that's exactly what they've done. High scoring games against QPR and Leicester seem to suggest that they've been told to score as many as possible as it could have an effect come the end of the season. United themselves have had a bit of a rocky start as they dropped points away to Stoke in their second game. In fact, Wigan were the only team in the Premier League to win their opening two games, with every other team dropping points. The Champions League draw has also been made and Wigan will be expecting to get through but there is also the Hollywood tie with Barcelona to negotiate. However they should be able to get through based on results from the other games so it's just a question of whether they finish first of second in the group.

View attachment 331316
Capital One Cup 3rd Round
Birmingham vs. Wigan

Champions League Group F
Barcelona
Zenit St Petersburg
Wigan Athletic
Panathinaikos

August

Premier League
20/8/17

QPR 2 vs. 4 Wigan
El Shaarawy(23) Barkley(48) Batth(70) Ademilson(78)

A little bit close than I was expecting as QPR didn't want to back down but a good win to start the season.

26/8/17
Wigan 6 vs. 1 Leicester
Wellington Nem(12) Barkley(22, 68) Matuidi(24) Batth(73, 76)

A great game for our first at home with plenty of goals, shame we conceded though.

View attachment 331331

Wigan Keep 100% Record in September

Wigan seem to be putting the disappointment of last season behind them as they're steamrolling teams both in the league and the Champions League. The bigger test will be next month as they play some tough teams, including Barcelona, Tottenham and Man City. If Wigan can keep their 100% record after that month, even if it's just in the league, you have to consider them favourites for the league. As it is it's still in the balance though United have been dropping points but anything can happen come the end of the season. In fact the better Wigan do in the Champions League and the F.A Cup could hinder them come the end of the season as they'll be considerably fatigued from the vast amount of matches, which could hand the initiative over to the other challengers.

View attachment 332699

September

Premier League
2/9/17

Norwich 0 vs. 1 Wigan
Ademilson(46)

16/9/17
Everton 0 vs. 2 Wigan
Batth(22) Doumbia(44)

Champions League Group F
20/9/17

Panathinaikos 0 vs. 4 Wigan
Doumbia(8, 26) Barkley(13) Wellington Nem(pen 14)

Premier League
23/9/17

Wigan 3 vs. 0 Swansea
Adryan(28) Lacazette(42) Wellington Nem(pen 86)

Capital One Cup 3rd Round
26/9/17

Birmingham 1 vs. 2 Wigan
Barkley(67) Wellington Nem(pen 88)

Premier League
30/9/17

Wigan 4 vs. 1 West Brom
Doumbia(10) Lacazette(13) Sulejmani(pen 16, pen 90)

View attachment 332705View attachment 332706

Just letting people know that I'm putting the save on hold for a while but I will come back to it at some point when I have a bit more free time

I know it's been so long since I've updated but I've been thinking of getting back into it now that all my college exams are over. It's highly unlikely that anyone will still be interested in following but it will give people new to the forum a chance to give it a look. Hopefully I'll have the next update up in the next couple of days.

may have to read through the whole thread again but looks like you were commited and there are not many big stories out there at the moment so im keen

Yeah I was when I had time to play it but obviously exams got in the way and now that they're finished I should be able to get in and play it regularly enough to continue with the story. I was looking to make this a really long term save so hopefully I'll be able to do it now :)

Wigan fail to win league game in October

Wigan have suffered a blip in form in October as they failed to win a league game this month. Things started off badly as they narrowly lost 1-0 to Barcelona which was followed by two draws as Wigan started to drop points. They did manage to recover with a win over Zenit but their league form will be what's worrying them. United have been performing well in the league so Wigan will have to up their game and hope that United slip up to give them a chance to regaining the title.

View attachment 370123
October

Champions League Group F
3/10/17

Wigan 0 vs. 1 Barcelona

Wasn't expecting to win but we gave it a good go.

Premier League
7/10/17

Aston Villa 2 vs. 2 Wigan
Ademilson(56) Wellington Nem(90+1)

21/10/17
Wigan 0 vs. 0 Man City

Not a bad result against City but would have liked a win.

Champions League Group F
24/10/17

Zenit 0 vs. 2 Wigan
Lacazette(2) Wellington Nem(21)

Premier League
28/10/17

Tottenham 1 vs. 0 Wigan

If we're going to be challenging for the title again this season we need to be doing better than this. We had 8 shots but none on target.

Capital One Cup 4th Round
31/10/17

Swansea 3 vs. 4 Wigan
Sulejmani(pen 5) Savic(10) Ademilson(20, 45+1)

Our defending was the only scary thing this Halloween as we were 4-1 up at half time.

View attachment 370126View attachment 370127

This is the Barca team we played in the Champions League but it was Vela who scored the winning goal!
View attachment 370129

Champions League Progression Secured for Wigan

This month Wigan have bounced back from their disappointing league results to secure their progression to the Champions League knockout stages. The 1-0 home win against Zenit was enough to see the team from the north-west reach the knockout stages again and they'll be hoping that the advancement their team has been going through will continue as they are looking to at least equal their achievement of reaching the quarter finals. They still have a slim chance of topping the group but they will need to beat Barcelona quite convincingly at the Nou Camp which is quite a tall order. We'll find out next month if they can pull it off.

View attachment 370571

Capital One Cup Quarter Final
Tottenham vs. Wigan

November

Premier League
4/11/17

Wigan 1 vs. 1 West Ham
Ademilson(19)

A bit annoying as it was like the 93rd minute they equalised.

Champions League Group F
8/11/17

Wigan 1 vs. 0 Zenit
OG(50)

It was enough to get us through to the knockout rounds so I'm pleased.

Premier League
12/11/17

Wigan 2 vs. 1 Chelsea
Wellington Nem(32) Doumbia(75)

A good win against Chelsea, hopefully our results against the big boys are improving.

25/11/17
Wigan 2 vs. 1 Stoke
Doumbia(25) Wellington Nem(46)

Champions League Group F
28/11/17

Wigan 4 vs. 1 Panathinaikos
Barkley(44) Lacazette(45+2) Savic(55) Ademilson(87)

View attachment 370575View attachment 370576

Last edited:
Season of Good Cheer For Wigan

The Christmas period has been very good for Wigan's domestic form this season as they've performed well in both the Capital One Cup as well as the league. There was a small blip part way through the month as they had to play Barcelona at the Nou Camp but there was no expectation, despite what some of the hard-core fans say. The league will be Wigan's priority this season after narrowly losing out to United so cruelly on the last day of the season and they're going about in the right way, by winning game after game. All teams go through some sort of slump during the season so it will be interesting to see if Wigan will end up on top after they've gone through their period of poor form. The F.A Cup draw hasn't been kind to them this season as they've been drawn against Tottenham. Tottenham were the team Wigan beat to win their first piece of silverware under Conroy, which was the F.A Cup so Wigan fans will be hoping for a repeat performance.

View attachment 372004
FA Cup 3rd Round
Wigan vs. Tottenham

Capital One Cup Semi Final
Wigan vs. Chelsea

December

Premier League
2/12/17

Liverpool 0 vs. 1 Wigan
Savic(82)

Nice win against a fairly strong Liverpool side away from home.

Capital One Cup Quarter Final
5/12/17

Tottenham 1 vs. 2 Wigan
Doumbia(22, 29)

A great win away from home against Tottenham, maybe this will be the year I win the Capital One Cup.

Premier League
10/12/17

Wigan 5 vs. 1 Wolves
Barkley(9, 14) Lacazette(10, 18) Iturbe(17)

Bit annoyed that we couldn't score a goal past 18 minutes but we did well to get 5 in that time.

Champions League Group F
13/12/17

Barcelona 3 vs. 0 Wigan

Put out a second string side to prepare for the United game as we're already through.

Premier League
17/12/17

Wigan 2 vs. 0 Man United
Doumbia(27) Lacazette(42)

I'm glad resting players for the Barcelona game paid of as this was going to be a close game. If only we could have done this at the end of last season.

23/12/17
Birmingham 0 vs. 4 Wigan
Adryan(12) Caulker(31) Barkley(32) Wellington Nem(86)

27/12/17
Bolton 0 vs. 2 Wigan
Adilson(22) Sulejmani(89)

30/12/17
Wigan 2 vs. 0 Arsenal
Doumbia(7) Ademilson(14)

Another good win against one of the top teams which is promising for our league campaign.

View attachment 372006View attachment 372007

Wigan Reach Capital One Cup Final

After years of trying under Conroy, Wigan Athletic have reached the Final of the Capital One Cup. There have been several near misses and they even reached the semi finals last season but were knocked out by Newcastle after a couple of poor performances. Wigan triumphed 4-2 on aggregate after two 2-1 wins. The pick of the goals from the games was a stunning 40 yard free-kick into the top corner from Wellington Nem which near enough sealed Wigan's passage into the final. Wigan's league form has also stayed strong, only dropping a couple of points away to Newcastle and opening up a bit of a gap of Man City. If Wigan keep up this form then they are strong favourites to take home the league title this season.

View attachment 372008
Capital One Cup Final
Arsenal vs. Wigan

F.A Cup 4th Round
Sheffield Wednesday vs. Wigan

F.A Cup 5th Round
Birmingham vs. Wigan

January

Premier League
1/1/18

Leicester 2 vs. 4 Wigan
Barkley(20) Ademilson(30) Batth(33) Doumbia(75)

4/1/18
Newcastle 1 vs. 1 Wigan
Ademilson(28)

Capital One Cup Semi Final 1st Leg
10/1/18

Wigan 2 vs. 1 Chelsea
Doumbia(12) Mamaev(41)

We went 1-0 down within 5 minutes but we came back and took the win through to the second leg. Shame we conceded an away goal but I think we can do it.

F.A Cup 3rd Round
13/1/18

Tottenham 1 vs. 2 Wigan
Ademilson(74, 81)

Again we went 1-0 down in a couple of minutes but we came back to win in the end. A good result considering we played Chelsea the game before.

Premier League
17/1/18

Wigan 1 vs. 0 QPR
Kelly(2)

20/1/18
Wigan 2 vs. 1 Norwich
Savic(83, 90+2)

These are the games that champions are made of. We were playing **** for the whole game but Savic popped up with a couple of late goals to win us the game.

Capital One Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg
24/1/18

Chelsea 1 vs. 2 Wigan
Wellington Nem(45+2) Ademilson(63)

We did well to get through this in the end. This was the game Wellington Nem scored his scorcher of a free-kick but Cech should have done better. However before Ademilson scored we had a man sent off and had two people taken off with injuries.

F.A Cup 4th Round
28/1/18

Sheffield Wednesday 1 vs. 3 Wigan
Adilson(33) Adryan(78) Doumbia(82)

Premier League
31/1/18

Swansea 0 vs. 1 Wigan
Barkley(14)

View attachment 372012

Transfers

I forgot to put this in my January update so I'll just do a seperate post for it which I think I'll do from now on so I don't put too much in one post.

In:

Jeff Desborough - £12.75m (Arsenal):

View attachment 372021

Signed from Arsenal for around a **** of a lot which I know is probably more than I should have paid but went a bit crazy with regen signings this month. Part of what sold me on him was that he was a right back which I have no upcoming regen for and he was English which will help me with the Champions League requirements. I'll be giving him a couple of games this season but he'll probably go on loan for a couple of season before coming into the first team.

Nelio Agrela - £2.5m (Martimo):

View attachment 372022

I was looking through my scout reports for five star regens when I came across this keeper who was valued at a ridiculously low price so I thought it would be worth putting a bid in. I managed to get him for only two and a half million and even though I have a regen keeper coming through I thought it would be worth training him up, sending him out on loan and if I don't need him then I can sell him on for a profit.

Rodrigue Sokambi - £7.5m (Roma):

View attachment 372023

This player I'm starting to regret buying a bit but at only 17 he has plenty of time to develop. His 14 finishing and 12 composure was what attracted me to him but like I said I think I went a bit over the top with the price. I bought him as I have no regen striker coming through so if he does develop well then it would be worth it. Even if he doesn't his value is already £4.3 million so I should be able to at least get my money back off him if he doesn't work out in a few season.

Out:

No one really. Sokambi and Agrela went out on loan as did a couple of other of my reserve/U18 team who only had a loan until January.