Will football stand the test of time?

Will football stand the test of time.

• YES. Football will remain the world's favourite forever and ever.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • No sport can last forever.

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

westham1995

Banned
Reaction score
Football has been around for hundreds of years now but does anybody believe that football will remain the world's most popular sport for ever or will it be eclipsed by another sport at an eventual point in the future just as many sports before it have? Discuss.

Last edited:
Yeah seeing as the world is due to end in 2012 so no sport can overtake football in 2 years :)

Since most English clubs have been around 20 years before the 1900's began, i would presume yes it will, the game is only growing.

The only thing that will stop it is financial stability.

Well, I always want football to be one of , if not the most popular sport in the world. But i think as society advances, it will most likely die out, and possibly eventually be seen as 'savage'. This has already been seen in the gladitaorial games. but hopefully this won't happen for hundereds if not thousands of years...

My personal belief is that by the end of this century another sport will be the new football so we had better enjoy it while it lasts in our lifetimes!

My personal belief is that by the end of this century another sport will be the new football so we had better enjoy it while it lasts in our lifetimes!

By the end of this century, you, I, all of us that will read this, will be LONG gone.

By the end of this century, you, I, all of us that will read this, will be LONG gone.

That is what I meant, I meant we will be the last generation to experience football in its prime throughout our whole lifetimes.

I'm guessing that all sport will die out eventually to be replaced by console gaming... Not anytime soon though, and I'm sure football will still be by far the most popular sport throughout my lifetime.

i think it will keep going but due to the lack of quality of english players the game could loose popularity in this country

i think it will keep going but due to the lack of quality of english players the game could loose popularity in this country

Lack of quality ? Lampard Gerrard Rooney Owen Beckham Cole(s) Ferdinand(s) Neville(s) Glen Johnson Walcott Lennon Carrick SWP King Campbell Milner Young(s) Wilshere among hundreds of others.. I doubt youll find it easy to name as many quality players for many other countries in 2 minutes.

The only thing they are lacking is team chemistry and a good formation

Well as long as everyone brings there kids up to love the beautiful game we won't need Spaceball 3000 extreme will we? :)

Well as long as everyone brings there kids up to love the beautiful game we won't need Spaceball 3000 extreme will we? :)

Hopefully those that love Spaceball 3000 extreme won't be the ones having kids ;)

I think that up until this year, the Superbowl was watched by more people than the Champions League final.

Football will always be one of the biggest sports (Pool is the biggest, I believe), as it's easy to learn and you only need a ball to play, as opposed to a variety of other sports.

I think that up until this year, the Superbowl was watched by more people than the Champions League final.

Football will always be one of the biggest sports (Pool is the biggest, I believe), as it's easy to learn and you only need a ball to play, as opposed to a variety of other sports.

I'm pretty sure the Champions League has hundreds of millions of viewers more than the Superbowl as the majority of NFL fans are in the USA.

Plus the World Cup is the biggest sporting event ever and I don't think that will ever change.

I'm pretty sure the Champions League has hundreds of millions of viewers more than the Superbowl as the majority of NFL fans are in the USA.

Plus the World Cup is the biggest sporting event ever and I don't think that will ever change.

The Olympics actually gets by far the most viewers than any other sporting event.